Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eece

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
I've just returned an 15/i9/32gb/2tb for a refund after experiencing this issue about 5 times since receiving the unit on Tuesday, things I tried:
  1. Reinstall macOS from internet
  2. Disabling file-vault
  3. Turning off all startup protection options
  4. Turning off all energy-saving options in preferences
Really disappointed, hope to hear about a fix and may repurchase the machine in the future. Replacement units were offered (without me having to return the current unit until received).

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I wonder whether the introduction of the T2 chip makes it more likely that there is an SSD control failure vs previous generations that result in complete data loss. Scary thought.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
From reading the reports here...

... sumthin' tells me that Apple hasn't quite gotten "T2 on the Mac" worked out yet...!

Last edited:

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
This is really annoying for people who want to buy the new machine. The fact that apple has failed to identify the issue is even worse.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It's weird, I've never once had this specific issue (never had a kernel panic/crash), though I did need to do a SMC/NVRAM reset once when the audio system just completely bugged out. It was literally transmitting static to my HomePod lol.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I've had 2 crashes from the BridgeOS error so far on my brand new MBP 2018 13". Don't remember this happening on my last model, which had to be returned for other reasons, but hoping it's something that can be fixed with a software update.

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
I've had 2 crashes from the BridgeOS error so far on my brand new MBP 2018 13". Don't remember this happening on my last model, which had to be returned for other reasons, but hoping it's something that can be fixed with a software update.
You contacted apple regarding the issue right? Still no response from them yet?

Reactions: johnalan

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I guess you need to let it sleep for a while and see if it wakes up reporting the crash, eh? Did you run Disk Utility on your new machine to check for the crypto_var errors?
[doublepost=1532846878][/doublepost]
Those sound like different crashes than the Bridge OS ones we're discussing here. Check the Console app in the path I specified above to see if you have any of these crashes in your logs.
[doublepost=1532846989][/doublepost]
Nope, although I did have this happen sometimes on my 2016 MBP. The issue being discussed here is the machine rebooting all by itself (usually during sleep) and displaying "your Mac has restarted due to a problem."
No crypto errors in disk utility.

Rove

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
My 2018 i7 2.6 MBP had multiple Bridge OS errors a day. I erased the hard drives, reinstalled the OS and then recovered from time machine. Its been almost 2 day and so far no issues. The error always occurred when the laptop is sleeping. The odd part is sometimes I won't even get the message that an error has occurred. I would just notice the MPB rebooted.

The crypto error on disk utility is also gone.

I'm cautiously optimistic but based on previous comments erasing the drive an reinstalling is not a solution.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
No crypto errors in disk utility.
Hi SS,

So the new unit had no crypto_val errors out of the box and has not had a Bridge OS crash yet? Do you think the replacement is problem-free?
[doublepost=1532899780][/doublepost]
So, the recent supplemental update didn't fix things?
No, I think that was only meant to address the throttling complaints.
[doublepost=1532900270][/doublepost]
My 2018 i7 2.6 MBP had multiple Bridge OS errors a day. I erased the hard drives, reinstalled the OS and then recovered from time machine. Its been almost 2 day and so far no issues. The error always occurred when the laptop is sleeping. The odd part is sometimes I won't even get the message that an error has occurred. I would just notice the MPB rebooted.

The crypto error on disk utility is also gone.

I'm cautiously optimistic but based on previous comments erasing the drive an reinstalling is not a solution.
Do you have anything other than the power adapter connected (display, external hard drive, USB devices, etc.) when you let the machine sleep? If so, are any of these things powered on during sleep?
[doublepost=1532900650][/doublepost]
That is horrible. I just picked a brand new MBP i7/16GG, has pretty much the same specs as the one returned yesterday except for the i9 and 32Gb of ram. I’ll test today if it crashes, I was gonna test with nothing plugged to it but based on what you did, it does not matter.
Any crashes on your new unit? Did it have any crypto_var Bridge OS errors in Disk Utility out of the box?

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Nope, although I did have this happen sometimes on my 2016 MBP. The issue being discussed here is the machine rebooting all by itself (usually during sleep) and displaying "your Mac has restarted due to a problem."

I actually experienced that on the MacBook Pro 2016 as well, especially when connected to an external display. I should be receiving my MacBook Pro 15" 2018 tomorrow and will report if it anything like this happens to it. Even though I would experience this on the 2016 most often when connected to an external display, I would also just come back to a rebooted machine when it was idle for a bit or I have left it to sleep overnight.

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Hi SS,

So the new unit had no crypto_val errors out of the box and has not had a Bridge OS crash yet? Do you think the replacement is problem-free?
[doublepost=1532899780][/doublepost]
No, I think that was only meant to address the throttling complaints.
[doublepost=1532900270][/doublepost]
Do you have anything other than the power adapter connected (display, external hard drive, USB devices, etc.) when you let the machine sleep? If so, are any of these things powered on during sleep?
[doublepost=1532900650][/doublepost]
Any crashes on your new unit? Did it have any crypto_var Bridge OS errors in Disk Utility out of the box?
I did a HD wipe and clean install straight out of the box to avoid the crypto errors altogether. So far still no KP as of yet. Really hoping the engineers are on this for us all. If it is a hardware issue things are going to get pretty ugly for Apple.

Cusa

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The Union
I got a new i7/16GB MBP and the same thing happened again. I also wiped and installed straight out of the box to avoid the crypto errors, no difference, still not responding after sleep. It only says that the machine has to be rebooted due to a problem and asks if I want to reopen the apps, no crash report to send.

I will just leave the MBP with nothing but the machine it self go to sleep. The only thing that I have never removed is an external Samsung T5 1GB drive connected to it, that is going to be unplugged on my last test. If it happens again, I'm returning this machine as well.

ricky1989

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Poking around with some of the developers, one of them pointed out that this is not a normal kernel panic. It's a panic in the embedded OS that causes the machine restart itself.
That was the KP I have experienced, the machine went into sleep and was not responsive. Waiting for a while, it reboot itself and present with an error log stating the BridgeOS caused the issue.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I wonder whether the introduction of the T2 chip makes it more likely that there is an SSD control failure vs previous generations that result in complete data loss. Scary thought.
I think a Time Machine back up is more important than ever.

I experienced such crash one time since I got the machine in the launch weekend. The MBP (with lid closed i.e. in sleep mode) just rebooted itself and showed me the crash log saying that BridgeOS had crashed when I opened the lid.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I think a Time Machine back up is more important than ever.

I experienced such crash one time since I got the machine in the launch weekend. The MBP (with lid closed i.e. in sleep mode) just rebooted itself and showed me the crash log saying that BridgeOS had crashed when I opened the lid.
Was anything attached to your MBP besides the keyboard when it crashed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.