Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
I just had mine wakeup from sleep to an error where it gave me this error, is this what everybody is talking about?

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"sleep","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-07-31 18:54:46.73 +0000","incident_id":"817CCD31-276F-4A82-A194-09CD6A843A41"}

First time it happened to me, though I seem to have lost some data unfortunately. I'll just look at it like it's a reminder that I should save my work before I close my laptop until I return it.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I have the same sleep/wake issue on the 2018 MBP 15" as I've experienced on my 2016. Connect it to a display, let it sleep a bit, then I try to wake it with lifting the lid, disconnect/connect the cable and touching both internal and external keyboard/trackpad. No response. Black screen, unresponsive, fans blowing at max. Hard reboot and back again.

Have installed the supplemental update, and it happened after an hour of use. Just browsing, setting up and dragging apps into the Application folder.
This thread is about bridgeOS kernel panics, which may be the cause of your crashing on your 2018 but wouldn’t have been the issue with your 2016.

Have you checked the logs for the bridgeOS oerror mentioned in post just above this one? If you don’t have the bridgeOS crash issue, this thread may not be the best place for you to find help for your particular problem.
[doublepost=1533064622][/doublepost]
I just had mine wakeup from sleep to an error where it gave me this error, is this what everybody is talking about?

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"sleep","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-07-31 18:54:46.73 +0000","incident_id":"817CCD31-276F-4A82-A194-09CD6A843A41"}

First time it happened to me, though I seem to have lost some data unfortunately. I'll just look at it like it's a reminder that I should save my work before I close my laptop until I return it.
Yes that is the error this thread is discussing.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
so Apple must fix 2 software issues with the next macOS update...this bridge os error and the sound cracking

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Nope, that's something different. The one we're talking about here will have this line at the top of the window on the far right: {"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)"
I note that in your post #146 you have:

"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running"

whereas GerritB in post #201 just above has:

caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"sleep"

Might be two different manifestations of the same issue/bug but might be two completely separate failure modes.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I note that in your post #146 you have:

"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running"

whereas GerritB in post #201 just above has:

caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"sleep"

Might be two different manifestations of the same issue/bug but might be two completely separate failure modes.
All 5 of the Bridge OS crashes I've had occurred during sleep. The generated reports on all of these say "running" as well.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Running/sleep wasn’t actually my main point though; your log says caused by MacOS whereas GerritB says caused by bridgeOS. Just an observation.
Ah, gotcha. Wouldn't it be nice if Apple could chime in and give us at least an educated guess? The only options they've given me are to return/exchange the computer if I want.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
Running/sleep wasn’t actually my main point though; your log says caused by MacOS whereas GerritB says caused by bridgeOS. Just an observation.
Yes from the Apple Discussion thread from the OP it seems that people are posting errors from both the MacOS and BridgeOS, where MacOs seems linked to 'running' state and BridgeOs to 'sleeping'. After that they both point to BridgeOS in the 'build' key. My guess therefore is that it just depends on whether the error happens when the Macbook is fully in sleep state (Reports BridgeOS) or not (MacOs).

Edit: Just to add to the data, it's a clean MacOs install and I transferred no settings/applications from my MBP 2014, so I don't expect that in my case it's due to some setting being transferred from my old laptop to this one.

Last edited:

Cusa

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The Union
Yes from the Apple Discussion thread from the OP it seems that people are posting errors from both the MacOS and BridgeOS, where MacOs seems linked to 'running' state and BridgeOs to 'sleeping'. After that they both point to BridgeOS in the 'build' key. My guess therefore is that it just depends on whether the error happens when the Macbook is fully in sleep state (Reports BridgeOS) or not (MacOs).

Edit: Just to add to the data, it's a clean MacOs install and I transferred no settings/applications from my MBP 2014, so I don't expect that in my case it's due to some setting being transferred from my old laptop to this one.

Do you have an external monitor plugged to your Mac? If so, what kind of monitor and how is it connected? My MBP crashes mostly when my LG 4K monitors are connected and the machine goes to sleep, they are connected with a USB-C -> DisplayPort cables each.

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
Do you have an external monitor plugged to your Mac? If so, what kind of monitor and how is it connected? My MBP crashes mostly when my LG 4K monitors are connected and the machine goes to sleep, they are connected with a USB-C -> DisplayPort cables each.
I have had an external display attached to it but not for at least an hour before I closed the laptop and this error happened. So it didn't happen while attached to an external monitor, or anything for that matter as it wasn't plugged in when I closed it.

When I do have a monitor connected it's through USB-C, the new Hyperbook Net adapter and then HDMI. It's also an LG, I think the 34UC97.

Reactions: Cusa

Cusa

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The Union
I have had an external display attached to it but not for at least an hour before I closed the laptop and this error happened. When I do have it connected it's through USB-C, the new Hyperbook Net adapter and HDMI. It's also an LG, I think the 34UC97.
I see, thanks for the info. One thing that I have noticed is that I have always liked to work with the laptop closed and the two monitors, external keyboard and bluetooth mouse plugged, waking the laptop from that setup is when I experienced the most crashes.

Last night I started leaving my laptop open with both external monitors connected as well, basically 3 screens to look at, I removed the keyboard and mouse, I have placed the thing to sleep and It has not crashed ever since.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Ah, gotcha. Wouldn't it be nice if Apple could chime in and give us at least an educated guess? The only options they've given me are to return/exchange the computer if I want.
They need to get on this immediately. Enough of this bologna about returning and exchanging for a new machine! By saying that do they realize they are more or less stating there are tons of machines out in the wild with HARDWARE issues? Because that is essentially what they are insinuating when they say to get a new machine. Are you listening Apple? Is this an issue that can be fixed with a software update or not? If not, then you need to gear up for a massive recall and another major class action lawsuit. Your silence is deafening, Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeVera and p8blr

eece

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
Some notes from my experience:
  • i never plugged into a external monitor / or usb hub for the matter (because the display was so great!)
  • i upgraded to the supplemental update (as it was release the same day i received the unit on tuesday)
  • it seemed unrelated to "moving the unit around" in any way
  • one day it happened while i was simply watching a youtube video!
  • every time the crash report mentioned bridgeos
[doublepost=1533078384][/doublepost]When "it" happens:
  • UI freezes
  • Screen goes blank
  • Fans spin up to max for maybe less than one second
  • Then reboot to "your computer restart because of a problem:
This only happened once to me while i was using it, other times were during sleep.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
They need to get on this immediately. Enough of this bologna about returning and exchanging for a new machine! By saying that do they realize they are more or less stating there are tons of machines out in the wild with HARDWARE issues? Because that is essentially what they are insinuating when they say to get a new machine. Are you listening Apple? Is this an issue that can be fixed with a software update or not? If not, then you need to gear up for a massive recall and another major class action lawsuit. Your silence is deafening, Apple.
Has your new machine crashed at all yet?

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
With all of the hassle you had with the first one, I am glad to hear that. I agree with your earlier post about the deafening silence from Apple. It almost seems like maybe a batch of bad T2 chips. I am still waiting patiently before I go pick up a 15". Perhaps now that they got their earnings report done they will actually pay attention to their paying customers.

Reactions: dspdoc

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
With all of the hassle you had with the first one, I am glad to hear that. I agree with your earlier post about the deafening silence from Apple. It almost seems like maybe a batch of bad T2 chips. I am still waiting patiently before I go pick up a 15". Perhaps now that they got their earnings report done they will actually pay attention to their paying customers.

Hopefully Apple is on it... but their silence, even when you call them with the issue is a bit unnerving. Without "piling on", it seems like they've had an awful lot of issues that manifest themselves simply as lack of quality. Certainly, something like a bad run of T2 chips could be the case, and it would provide a simple, easy solution... but again, it speaks to the quality of the Apple product - something that has been a staple of their product line for a long time.

I am curious if anyone has researched the number affected machines and the relative breakdown between 13" and 15"... would there be any obvious reason why one would be more likely to be affected?

As I posted earlier, I am two days in with my 13" machine... and no problems at all.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
There have been instances of software reinstallation fixing the problem, or not fixing it. There have been cases of machines swaps that fixed the problem, or not fixing it.

It’s not one single issue, it’s a combination of factors. It’s also rather rare.

If a software re-install doesn’t help, it makes sense to swap the hardware. If that doesn’t help either, the person might as well return the machine. Because whatever the issue may be, the fact is that with that particular hardware (and peripherals) and the OS (and your software), the system is unstable.

Last edited:

ricky1989

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Do you have anything attached other than the power cord when you let it sleep? I've gone two days in a row without a crash when I disconnect everything but the power cord. I'll continue to monitor, of course.
Having the egpu plugged in as a power source serves me alright as well. Initially I also got KP on the first two days of usage, but wiping the drive and a fresh internet recovery seems to solve the BridgeOS KP issue.
The only KP I can observe and replicate is hot-unplugging the egpu (which was doable before the clean installation) but no longer the case.

Have any of you observe audio stutter during playback (youtube, vlc, itunes, spotify etc)? It it not as bad as reporting from other threads, but quite annoying given that its a brand new machine.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I'll say your new machine is a problem-free one. Congrats!!
I have not used it enough to really know to be honest. I am always on my iMP.
[doublepost=1533134701][/doublepost]
Do you have anything attached other than the power cord when you let it sleep? I've gone two days in a row without a crash when I disconnect everything but the power cord. I'll continue to monitor, of course.
I have nothing at all connected to the machine. Maybe that is the missing puzzle piece. If connected devices cause this would it then be hardware or software? I will say however that I have had the crash happen with absolutely nothing connected, so never mind then...
[doublepost=1533135499][/doublepost]If Apple has a bad batch of T2 chips you can bet they are going to locked up like Fort Knox about it. There will be no unbuttoning their lips on that. They will just let people return their machines and behind the scenes fix the issue. This is pretty sad considering it would be so much more ethical to just do a recall. If anyone does find out Apple is indeed doing this you can bet that will be one ugly lawsuit. I just want Apple to start doing the right thing by their customers across the board.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
I have not used it enough to really know to be honest. I am always on my iMP.
[doublepost=1533134701][/doublepost]
I have nothing at all connected to the machine. Maybe that is the missing puzzle piece. If connected devices cause this would it then be hardware or software? I will say however that I have had the crash happen with absolutely nothing connected, so never mind then...
[doublepost=1533135499][/doublepost]If Apple has a bad batch of T2 chips you can bet they are going to locked up like Fort Knox about it. There will be no unbuttoning their lips on that. They will just let people return their machines and behind the scenes fix the issue. This is pretty sad considering it would be so much more ethical to just do a recall. If anyone does find out Apple is indeed doing this you can bet that will be one ugly lawsuit. I just want Apple to start doing the right thing by their customers across the board.
I don't think they will recall the units, which will be bad press for them. In worse case scenario, they will announce that a batch of t2 chips is bad and they will offer free service to units affected like they did for macbook 2016 swollen battery problem. Its too bad that lots of people have these issues. I think they rushed into releasing these units without proper validation just because of the peer pressure from the competition.

Reactions: dspdoc

fwmls

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
If the panic crash is related to T2 chip, do you actively use touch bar? I’m wondering if someone who don’t get panic use less frequently the touch bar.
T2 does a lot more than touch bar. But my panic happened around the time when I modified the touch bar setting and used a lot. I also found a bug that icons not aligned as I configured. Maybe this could be a triggering action of the panic crash?

Reactions: eagerwu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.