Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Out of curiosity, other than an annoyance when you run disk first aid, what harm are these crypto_val errors doing? I not sure I understand the effort to get rid of them.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Out of curiosity, other than an annoyance when you run disk first aid, what harm are these crypto_val errors doing? I not sure I understand the effort to get rid of them.

Yeah, I've asked this in multiple forums but haven't gotten an answer yet. For all we know, it's just some cosmetic line of code and not worth the hassle of a hard drive wipe.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Still no issues as of yet. I am going to let my machine sit here and keep going to sleep today.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah, I've asked this in multiple forums but haven't gotten an answer yet. For all we know, it's just some cosmetic line of code and not worth the hassle of a hard drive wipe.

I couldn't find anything either, so didn't know it if was just an annoying message at the beginning of disk first aid with no real significance, or if after the 3rd appearance Beetlejuice appears or what :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If there were some documentation about what the error means, and we knew it was harmless, I would agree. But absent that I was concerned this was somehow causing the drive/data not to be encrypted properly, so I wanted to find a fix.

I found some Apple discussion reports of the same error on the new iMac Pros and the only fix anybody ever came up with was a wipe and reinstall.

Reactions: SDColorado

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Wipe + reinstall a brand new Mac takes half an hour.
Would you wait and see if it breaks something on a laptop you rely on for work just to avoid 30min of waiting for a quick install ?

Plus the fact that my previous MBPr had no issue led me to decide to do it instead of waiting.

But if someone wants to leave it as is, this would still be interesting to have a comparison in the future.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If there were some documentation about what the error means, and we knew it was harmless, I would agree. But absent that I was concerned this was somehow causing the drive/data not to be encrypted properly, so I wanted to find a fix.

I found some Apple discussion reports of the same error on the new iMac Pros and the only fix anybody ever came up with was a wipe and reinstall.

I have a feeling that there isn't much to the message, but I can appreciate the possible concern. I may just go ahead and do it.

Would you wait and see if it breaks something on a laptop you rely on for work just to avoid 30min of waiting for a quick install ?

Hmmm.. a little longer than that when you have to go through and re-activate some software, etc. But I can appreciate that it may save time in the long run.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Still no issues as of yet. I am going to let my machine sit here and keep going to sleep today.

Apologies if you've answered this previously... Do you have anything attached (beside the power cord) when the computer sleeps? Mine crashed almost every night when the thunderbolt adapter was plugged in (even though nothing was powered on). Now that I unplug it overnight, it hasn't crashed at all.
[doublepost=1533326068][/doublepost]

Plus the fact that my previous MBPr had no issue led me to decide to do it instead of waiting.

But if someone wants to leave it as is, this would still be interesting to have a comparison in the future.

Well, there's no reason to assume there would be Disk Utility errors right out of the box. If you look deeper into this thread, you'll also see some absolute nightmare scenarios where people couldn't reinstall the OS after wiping.

Also, it takes a lot more than a half hour to transfer all your personal data and documents--particularly those of us who sprung for 2 TB and 4 TB drive.

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
Well when I did it from the recovery partition it knackered my main drive and I had to reinstall, maybe just running from inside the OS doesnt break it. try rebooting and "Command-R" then pick disk utility and trying it for yourself - if you dare. I may have just been unlucky when I did it but until more crypto error people try what I did we'll never know

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Apologies if you've answered this previously... Do you have anything attached (beside the power cord) when the computer sleeps? Mine crashed almost every night when the thunderbolt adapter was plugged in (even though nothing was powered on). Now that I unplug it overnight, it hasn't crashed at all.
[doublepost=1533326068][/doublepost]

Well, there's no reason to assume there would be Disk Utility errors right out of the box. If you look deeper into this thread, you'll also see some absolute nightmare scenarios where people couldn't reinstall the OS after wiping.

Also, it takes a lot more than a half hour to transfer all your personal data and documents--particularly those of us who sprung for 2 TB and 4 TB drive.
No I do not have anything at all connected. Maybe this plays a role?

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
No I do not have anything at all connected. Maybe this plays a role?

I'm fairly sure that it does at this point. Before you got your replacement unit, was your original MBP having Bridge OS crashes with only the power adapter attached? I'm wondering if your replacement solve your problem or it's just because you don't have anything hooked up now.

karanlyons

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2018
Nothing needs to be connected. I’ve had it panic when asleep plugged into absolutely nothing, not even power. It’s possible the issue is exacerbated by the presence of peripherals or anything else interacting with the T2 chip moreso than a naked machine, but the problem can exist without them.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I'm fairly sure that it does at this point. Before you got your replacement unit, was your original MBP having Bridge OS crashes with only the power adapter attached? I'm wondering if your replacement solve your problem or it's just because you don't have anything hooked up now.
I have had my machine running all day with a USB thumb drive plugged in and it has gone to sleep a few times. No KPs yet...

drecc

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
I read about these crypto_val warnings so I decided to use Disk Utility first aid to check the disk (on my 2018 MBP i9).

My Mac crashed, and I left it for about 30 mins to be sure it wasn't just temporarily frozen. By crashed, I mean the external monitor slept, and then wouldn't wake. I unplugged the external monitor and opened the lid to see if it would respond, but the screen was just black (but I could see the screen was on and blank, and not off, because of the slight glow).

When I rebooted, I attempted the disk utility first aid again, and it finished quickly, but with the crypto val warnings. Here are screenshots:

pVPS6Mg.png

0HvwEg1.png

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I just refuse, as a matter of principle, to go to my favorite Apple store and drop $3,000 on a 15" when Apple can NOT seem to get this under control, and will not even talk about what is going on. There seem to several different issues occurring simultaneously, with paying customers forced to do things as draconian as wiping and restoring machines brand-new out of the box, and unable to use peripherals. VERY disappointing. .

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
I am very late to this thread (and admittedly did not read through all 12 pages of comments) so I apologize in advance if this adds nothing to the discussion.

Just got my 2018 MBP 13 i5/16/256 yesterday.
Started running into funny behavior almost immediately. Ran disk utility shortly after, and got the same crypto error messages. Tried a combo of toggling on/off file vault but still got the message. Re-installed Mac OS. Got the same message with disk utility.

Finally, I wiped the drive, then reinstalled MacOS. No more crypto error. Granted it's only been a day but I haven't experienced any more funny behavior. I am also running file vault.

I was at the mall today, and out of sheer curiosity, I walked into the Apple store and ran disk utility on one of the display MBPs. It also showed the same crypto error message. Tried another 2018 MBP. Same error message. Not sure what to make of this, but it's strange that all factory installed 2018 MBPs seem to carry this error. I have no technical confirmation if the behaviors are related, and I am working with a very limited test sample of 24hrs, but since wiping and reinstalling I haven't had a single issue.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I am very late to this thread (and admittedly did not read through all 12 pages of comments) so I apologize in advance if this adds nothing to the discussion.

Just got my 2018 MBP 13 i5/16/256 yesterday.
Started running into funny behavior almost immediately. Ran disk utility shortly after, and got the same crypto error messages. Tried a combo of toggling on/off file vault but still got the message. Re-installed Mac OS. Got the same message with disk utility.

Finally, I wiped the drive, then reinstalled MacOS. No more crypto error. Granted it's only been a day but I haven't experienced any more funny behavior. I am also running file vault.

I was at the mall today, and out of sheer curiosity, I walked into the Apple store and ran disk utility on one of the display MBPs. It also showed the same crypto error message. Tried another 2018 MBP. Same error message. Not sure what to make of this, but it's strange that all factory installed 2018 MBPs seem to carry this error. I have no technical confirmation if the behaviors are related, and I am working with a very limited test sample of 24hrs, but since wiping and reinstalling I haven't had a single issue.
Sure would be nice if Apple would break their silence huh? They should be ashamed of themselves for their apparent horrible QC as of late. I don't know what their engineers are doing these days.

Reactions: Yvan256

drecc

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
I was at the mall today, and out of sheer curiosity, I walked into the Apple store and ran disk utility on one of the display MBPs. It also showed the same crypto error message.

What a great idea. I happen to be going by my local Apple store tomorrow and I'm going to try the same thing...

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Wow, I've been googling the wrong stuff just to find out this is what's going on with my base model 15". I also think it runs pretty hot when it's doing nothing.

BacToMac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I haven't had any crashes yet. However, I ran Disk Utility and do have the following crypto_val errors:

warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_os_version (0x0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0)

We don't know for sure what this means or whether to be concerned, right?

The only weirdo thing I've noticed is that sometimes I have to enter my password and sometimes I can use TouchID. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. For example, I have some notes that are password protected. Sometimes it will let me use TouchID to open them, sometimes not. On my iPad and phone, it always lets me use TouchID.

Do you have anything attached (beside the power cord) when the computer sleeps? Mine crashed almost every night when the thunderbolt adapter was plugged in (even though nothing was powered on). Now that I unplug it overnight, it hasn't crashed at all.

I received my Thunderbolt 3-->2 plus TB 2 to FireWire (which works great) today and haven't had any issues after brief stints of sleep. I will leave it hooked up tonight and report back if I have a crash overnight.

drecc

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
Update: I just walked into an Apple store, and attempted Disk Utility First Aid on 3 of the MacBook Pros they had on display.

Two of the three were 2018 models (one 13" and the other 15"), and both of those showed the crypto_val warnings.

The other one was a 2017 model and did not display the warnings.

So unless that's a coincidence, I'd imagine that everyone with 2018 MBPs are getting those crypto_val warnings. Please can anyone reply if you have a 2018 MBP and are *not* getting the crypto_val warnings during First Aid?

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
Update: I just walked into an Apple store, and attempted Disk Utility First Aid on 3 of the MacBook Pros they had on display.

Two of the three were 2018 models (one 13" and the other 15"), and both of those showed the crypto_val warnings.

The other one was a 2017 model and did not display the warnings.

So unless that's a coincidence, I'd imagine that everyone with 2018 MBPs are getting those crypto_val warnings. Please can anyone reply if you have a 2018 MBP and are *not* getting the crypto_val warnings during First Aid?
I might be mistaken, but I think I've seen posts from some people saying they don't have these errors out of the box.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
This makes me nervous about the so-called low-cost MacBook Air replacement that's supposed to be coming soon.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Regarding the messages, I was told the following during a chat:

Ah! First Aid, if there are any *real* issues, you’d know as it’ll bring up a prompt box with the exact issue and the solutions to fix it. Otherwise, all this is saying is the drive isn’t encrypted, it isn’t indicating a hardware or software issue which is good news

...and:

First Aid will always do so. Any permission out of the ordinary and it’ll list a warning. If there was any sort of sector corruption or sections of the drive failing, there is an unmistakable popup that will appear

See no need to worry haha, you don't need to throw your new toy in the bin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.