Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
The bridge os KP issue exists since the release of iMac Pro earlier this year. If it’s a software isssue, then it has been over half year but the problem hasn’t been fixed yet. So it may also be a hardware issue, which is gonna be very tricky.
I have still yet to experience this on my 2018. I have had a couple of display flickers that are a bit worrying, but I *think* it has something to do with Slack... I was going to exchange while still within the time period, but now I’m thinking I should just keep it and hope it’s only a Slack problem. Don’t want to tempt fate....

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I just had my first "Bridge Panic" on i9/MBP 2018 after owning it for 6 days. I was using the laptop at the time, it was not coming out of a sleep.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
I have still yet to experience this on my 2018. I have had a couple of display flickers that are a bit worrying, but I *think* it has something to do with Slack... I was going to exchange while still within the time period, but now I’m thinking I should just keep it and hope it’s only a Slack problem. Don’t want to tempt fate....
Exchanging it wouldn’t make it worse, does it? Just go for it. Your $3000 deserves a flawless machine.
[doublepost=1533489094][/doublepost]
I have no crypto errors, but I did a clean install of the OS the moment I unboxed this replacement machine.
Cool. So now that you have neither crypto error nor the KP. Enjoy your Mac SS!

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Exchanging it wouldn’t make it worse, does it? Just go for it. Your $3000 deserves a flawless machine.
Well my line of thinking is that with so many people having the bridge kp, and me not having it that it’s a crapshoot. And not seeing the flicker with anything but slack (as of now) it might be worth it just to keep an eye on it and go from there. The Apple store near me is pretty good about turning that 14 days into 30 if you ask nicely and present your case to them.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
The bridge os KP issue exists since the release of iMac Pro earlier this year. If it’s a software isssue, then it has been over half year but the problem hasn’t been fixed yet. So it may also be a hardware issue, which is gonna be very tricky.
If it is a hardware issue it is going to be so much more than tricky. It is going to be downright ugly I am afraid.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If it is a hardware issue it is going to be so much more than tricky. It is going to be downright ugly I am afraid.

If it turns out to be hardware that they can’t work around with an exception in software or something, it may result in a recall/replacement program regardless of age. Expensive for Apple, but their recent 1 trillion dollar milestone suggests its one that they can afford.

andy318

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Happened to my 2018 Macbook Pro this morning as well. This is my second one. I had to return the first one as it went into a recovery loop after I set a firmware password. I get the crypto warning for this Macbook's SSD (1 TB AP1024) as well for the first one I had to return.

Code:
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_os_version (0x0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0)

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Happened to my 2018 Macbook Pro this morning as well. This is my second one. I had to return the first one as it went into a recovery loop after I set a firmware password. I get the crypto warning for this Macbook's SSD (1 TB AP1024) as well for the first one I had to return

Did Apple say anything about the crypto warning when you returned the first? I had it on my 13” but a fresh macOS install got rid of it. I’ve had no crashes, luckily.

Reactions: eagerwu

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
If it turns out to be hardware that they can’t work around with an exception in software or something, it may result in a recall/replacement program regardless of age. Expensive for Apple, but their recent 1 trillion dollar milestone suggests its one that they can afford.
They are certainly not hurting for money! A little transparency to their customers that made them so wealthy would be nice.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
They are certainly not hurting for money! A little transparency to their customers that made them so wealthy would be nice.

Yup, unfortunately that’s never been Apple’s style though. They have known about this issue since the iMP and have been working on a solution if the kernel version increase from 17.3.0 to 17.4.0 is any indication. But I am guessing they won’t make much of a public statement about it, until they determine that they can solve it or they can’t.

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
So is the consensus here that there's two main possibilities? Either there's an issue with this mysterious "BridgeOS" software, or somehow a batch of MBPs and iMPs with faulty T2 chips made it onto the market?

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I just had my first "Bridge Panic" on i9/MBP 2018 after owning it for 6 days. I was using the laptop at the time, it was not coming out of a sleep.

Ahh - this kernel panic, although it's the Bridge OS panic, may be different and related to the problem I am having with this external SSD I just bought - I just plugged the external SSD into a MBP 2017 and I got a kernel panic. There must be something wrong with MacOS 10.13.6 driver support maybe? This may also imply that the larger Bridge OS kernel panic could in fact be an OS problem that can be patched?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Regarding the ‘bad batch’ theory - my two units, of which one crashed and one didn’t - were from the same store, manufactured in the same week, and were silver (the colour no-one seems to buy). So they likely both had T2 chips from basically the same batch.

Reactions: zargap

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
A pretty surefire way for me to trigger this panic is unplugging peripherals while my computer is closed. I also get it just while it's off/closed in general, but I've definitely gotten it with it open too.

rsths12

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018
For those of you that have done clean installs, how did you format your drive (APFS or APFS Encrypted)? And did you use internet recovery?

retailacc

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2017
Boston, MA
Wait, I'm not following. What exactly is "bridge os"? My custom 13" w/ i5 and 16gb ram 256gb ssd for which I waited over a week for is randomly shutting down while in sleep mode. Is that what this thread is talking about? I am not getting any messages, my Mac is simply off.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Wait, I'm not following. What exactly is "bridge os"? My custom 13" w/ i5 and 16gb ram 256gb ssd for which I waited over a week for is randomly shutting down while in sleep mode. Is that what this thread is talking about? I am not getting any messages, my Mac is simply off.
That's it mate. The issue is triggered by the bridge os, which is the built-in system running on T2 chip of 2018 mbp.

Reactions: SDColorado

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Regarding the ‘bad batch’ theory - my two units, of which one crashed and one didn’t - were from the same store, manufactured in the same week, and were silver (the colour no-one seems to buy). So they likely both had T2 chips from basically the same batch.
The bad batch theory makes no sense to me--these crashes began in the iMac Pros at the end of last year. If it's a bad batch, that was one hell of a huge batch!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Well, I just experienced my second BridgeOS Kernel Panic on my 2018 15" Pro. Both times it has occurred while on the charger. The first time was when I closed the lid after manually starting a Time Machine backup. It was still 'preparing' and when I went to use the machine later I was greeted by the Apple logo upon opening the lid. Sadly, after I sent the report I could not find the log in the console. This time though, I made sure to copy and paste the report before sending it.

I had not used my laptop in a day or so, and I left it plugged into my monitor (over a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, not adapter) and charger. Last time it was only plugged into the charger. Today it showed that it had crashed and turned off just four hours prior to reopening the computer.

Honestly I cannot believe how much Apple's QC has slipped. How did they not notice the extreme throttling taking place before shipping? How have they not addressed the issues with the T2 chip since it started shipping with the iMac Pro 8 months ago?

Reactions: M.Rizk

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
The bad batch theory makes no sense to me--these crashes began in the iMac Pros at the end of last year. If it's a bad batch, that was one hell of a huge batch!

I agree that the bad batch theory is a bit of a stretch. However, it's strange because there is still a sizable amount (perhaps a majority) of 2018 MBP owners who aren't experiencing this problem.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
A pretty surefire way for me to trigger this panic is unplugging peripherals while my computer is closed. I also get it just while it's off/closed in general, but I've definitely gotten it with it open too.
That's interesting ! My KP was just when I was plugging in external drives while the laptop just getting out of sleep by opening the lid.

Will there still be any crash if we downgrade the security level of the T2 chip? And allow booting from external usb as well.
AFAIK none have tested this option. But considering the quote above, it could make sense. I managed to "create" a KP by unplugging an external drive BUT in this case, I booted from it and was running macOS from it too. But it wasn't working as expected because of the new security thing (disk encrypted, had to allow to boot from external drive in Startup Security Utility and after the boot, the OS wasn't allowing a lot of apps to launch properly... anyway, I managed to get what I needed from it). When I tried to reboot, it took a bit long and I wasn't patient anymore so I just unplugged the drive which created a KP, but I would say this one was kind of logic :D

For those of you that have done clean installs, how did you format your drive (APFS or APFS Encrypted)? And did you use internet recovery?
I am pretty sure I let it as it was, and it was PAFS Encrypted already from my first install.

Actually, you should have got a message at startup stating your computer had to restart. You may check the Console in :
/Library/Logs > DiagnosticReports > ProxiedDevice-Bridge > Retired (picture to help)
Screenshot 2018-08-06 at 05.56.37.png

I agree that the bad batch theory is a bit of a stretch. However, it's strange because there is still a sizable amount (perhaps a majority) of 2018 MBP owners who aren't experiencing this problem.
And still, you can go days or weeks without any KP depending on how you use your Mac. For example if you never leave it with screen or drives attached nor unlock It with your  Watch, you are eliminating a lot of risk. Plus from my understanding, some KP were solved since 10.13.6 (hardware KP)

andy318

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Did Apple say anything about the crypto warning when you returned the first? I had it on my 13” but a fresh macOS install got rid of it. I’ve had no crashes, luckily.

The tech who tried to fix the recovery loop issue did not seem to think it was the cause (or a big deal in general). He was convinced the laptop was fine but later called to say it could not recover via Internet Recovery even though other laptops he was working on that day were.
Sounds basic, but I wonder if the special 10.13.6 fork for the 2018 MBP simply wasn't available on the Internet Recovery servers?

(Of course, none of the above explains why it went into a recovery loop in the first place)

Reactions: Hakiroto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.