Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakurarain

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
hello every one, i am a new guy from Shanghai. from my side: MBP 15 2018, basic model, arrived last week. never met KP, but it happened to me 4 times that my MBP cannot awake from sleep. open the lid --> keyboard backlit illuminates once then dark --> the machine freezes, i have to manually restart. no external device connected, only power cord & not running Apps / programs.

mediaprodguy

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
Yesterday, I experienced my speakers randomly cutting out and becoming unavailable while actively using the 13” 2018 model. I called Apple care and they helped me reset the ram. Today, I experienced the kernel issue and my computer rebooted 4x. Spoke with a senior Apple tech a moment ago and there doesn’t appear to be a fix for whatever the issue is. Apple suggested I try from a fresh install again, but I hadn’t even put my own data on the machine yet (from a data pull using the migration assistant) I did have my iCloud set up on the new machine. I am within my return period and it looks like I need to return this machine in the next couple of days. I remain optimistic Apple will resolve this, but it is frustrating that Apple pushes us to return product vs extending the return policy while the issue is addressed. I hope some media coverage is drawn to this thread. Come on Apple.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
And another KP, just opening the lid, MBPr was sleeping for an hour or a little more, nothing plugged in.

Code:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50345e)","timestamp":"2018-08-07 05:18:06.59 +0000","incident_id":"097CA142-A26F-427E-B3BD-7F0B13D00B9E"}

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I'd love to know that as well.
On the phone with the support, since I am within the 14 days return policy, they are offering me a replacement unit procedure.
Waiting for another support person to validate this. Not sure this will help, but since I cannot have the replacement procedure after the 14 days and I have a BTO unit, I guess this is the simplest way to have a chance to get a flawless machine, if this is a hardware issue.

Waiting on them now to see how it should go.

EDIT : So Apple was up to their reputation. I can keep my Mac while they send a new unit which is scheduled to be delivered between the 20 and 22nd of August. All I have to do is keep mine as new, receive the new one, set it up and then only send back the actual MacBook Pro.

In the meantime I am updating to the latest Mojave beta so I will see if there is any improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: eagerwu and navaira

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Another day, another bridgeos error.

https://pastebin.com/gZT8YxSg

Kind of the same problem with the 2018 as with the 2016 and 2017. Connect peripherals and just wait for it to go to sleep and "die." Non responsive, have to do a hard reset. Connected through a DisplayPort adapter to an external 4K screen.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Where can we found Bridge OS version ? Updating Mojave and would like to check if it will be a new version number.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
what version is your mbp running? Try the latest released Mojave yet?

At the moment just running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update for MacBook Pro (2018). May try Mojave, but leaning towards a return. I don't want another computer that needs regular services. Had so much problem with the latter generations of the 15" touch bars, so now I am back using a MacBook 12" from 2015 that has had the keyboard replaced twice, but it hasn't crashed on me like the new generations of the Pro lineup.

Will install beta software on this beta computer. Will report back.

Last edited:

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Where can we found Bridge OS version ? Updating Mojave and would like to check if it will be a new version number.
Just in case, I was able to find in System report under Hardware > Controller this information after updating to the latest Mojave Public Beta 5 :
Code:
Model Name:    Apple T2 chip
Firmware Version:    16P50351c

Previously with the Public Beta 4 I had in the KP reports :
Code:
Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50345e)

So the firmware version number has been updated (which I guess means a new version of Bridge OS)

We'll see if I have another KP but Apple is actually working on it.

EDIT : This is on a MBPr BTO 15" i7 2,6GHz 1Tb ordered the 24th of July.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.Rizk

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its odd that some people have this issue, and others do not. I don't get what could be causing this.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Its odd that some people have this issue, and others do not. I don't get what could be causing this.

Yeah, it's strange. I've not had any crashes with my new 13" (i7/15/512) but unlike many, I'm not using a Thunderbolt dock or anything like that. I have the power cable and a 4K LG monitor attached via a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable. I regularly sleep/wake it and I've unplugged the two things before while it's in sleep mode without problem. Hmm.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, it's strange. I've not had any crashes with my new 13" (i7/15/512) but unlike many, I'm not using a Thunderbolt dock or anything like that
I've not had any issues (knocks on wood), but I am using a docking station to drive my old apple Cinema Display and USB ports.

I've put the laptop to sleep, shut it down, and kept it up, in various combinations and its not crashed, which obviously I'm ecstatic about, but I also understand and can empathize for those who have to deal with the instability. :(

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Interesting - I checked my System report....I have an i9 BTO that arrived July 30, no Bridge OS crashes as dewscribed here (one panic but due to faulty extenral device) - here is my T2 info, it's older?

Model Name: Apple T2 chip
Firmware Version: 15P6703

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Interesting - I checked my System report....I have an i9 BTO that arrived July 30, no Bridge OS crashes as dewscribed here (one panic but due to faulty extenral device) - here is my T2 info, it's older?

Hard to tell.
Did you install the Supplemental update ? Are you using Mojave ?

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Hard to tell.
Did you install the Supplemental update ? Are you using Mojave ?

Thabnks for the reply! I do have the Supplemental update, and verified it's working well per the posts here. I am not on Mojave however. Is that why? (Not complaining mind you just curious what the difference is).

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Thabnks for the reply! I do have the Supplemental update, and verified it's working well per the posts here. I am not on Mojave however. Is that why? (Not complaining mind you just curious what the difference is).
Could be why since BridgeOS version is 2.4.1 on 10.13.6 and is 3.0 on 10.14

Will see of members of this forum that are experiencing crashes have the same firmware version as you. Unfortunately, I haven't seen so far any feedback from other persons using Mojave.

So far, I 'd say if this issue is software related, it seems to need some specific factors to be combined so the OS would crash. Otherwise, it can only be hardware. And Apple's reaction to offer a replacement unit when you call them about this issue is really strange. To me, it looks like admitting there is a hardware issue. But how could a hardware issue be on an iMac and a MacBook Pro, be related to sleep status when one is a desktop (always power plugged in) and the other one is a laptop (which is power plugged in or on battery).

Another option would be that Bridge OS crashes are just a symptom of something else going wrong, not a proof that Bridge OS or the T2 are the culprit. Which would explain why focusing on Bridge OS firmware version or macOS version does not help us guess what to look at to make sense of all these crashes.

Reactions: M.Rizk and donawalt

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011

I have the same T2 firmware version in my 13" (i7/16/512) that was delivered on July 25. No crashes or issues so far.

Reactions: zargap and M.Rizk

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I didn't plug in anything but the charger since my last crash and woke up so a still-asleep laptop, I'm wondering if having had anything plugged in before sleep might increase chances of this happening. I'm gonna try to keep it unplugged from anything as long as I can I guess. Too bad I don't have unlimited time for tests cuz I bought this computer to do work on...

Reactions: Hakiroto

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
OK, Mojave installed. Latest public beta. Haven't used any peripherals yet. Will report after som usage.

Let us know. I have Mojave running on my iMac, but not my MBP because I have some programs that won’t run under it. But I would at least like to know if it is maybe a future fix.

Had another incident of bridge OS error crash today when I went to use my MBP. No peripherals attached, only the power cord.

Edit: The other reason I don’t have Mojave installed on the MBP is that I have the IOS beta on my iPhone X and was having a Bluetooth issue. Apple Support just cut me off and said they don’t support units with beta software and that I would have to roll back to a supported version of IOS to get support.
I don’t want to go through that with them in trying to get this issue resolved.

Have people found Apple Support willing to help when Mojave is installed?

Last edited:

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
My new 15" did it this AM. Nothing plugged into it with only Safari and Evernote open. Had the lid open but didn't touch the machine for like 15 minutes. Came back to a reboot. Hmmm

Reactions: zargap

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
No crashes so far on Mojave. 3-4 hours usage. Nothing connected, not even power.

Firmware Version: 16P50351c

I've reset SMC and now trying to use my external display.

Reactions: zargap and M.Rizk

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
I didn't plug in anything but the charger since my last crash and woke up so a still-asleep laptop, I'm wondering if having had anything plugged in before sleep might increase chances of this happening. I'm gonna try to keep it unplugged from anything as long as I can I guess. Too bad I don't have unlimited time for tests cuz I bought this computer to do work on...
In my personal experience, it's only crashed once. The Mac was disconnected from its USB C hub (apple AV w/ hdmi, power, usbA) while sleeping for over 5 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.