Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
system.log?

in that case no signs of bridgeOS error.
In Console :
/Library/Logs > DiagnosticReports > ProxiedDevice-Bridge > Retired

See pic here.

Hope my replacement unit will be KP free now, since I can't see any logic on the KP I experienced and what everyone here is reporting. Left my MBPr toady plugged in power, no KP, unplugged (which is how I got my KP), no KP too (even after hours of sleep)

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
In Console :
/Library/Logs > DiagnosticReports > ProxiedDevice-Bridge > Retired

No selection is good?

u0xhdu9.png

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Watching this thread closely.
I'll be interested to see what the final fix is.

Just as another datapoint.... Since receiving my new 15" 2018 MBP w/ i9 + 32GB + 2TB... I've never had a KP, nor any crypto_val errors.

My T2 chip firmware version is - 15P6703

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Watching this thread closely.
I'll be interested to see what the final fix is.

Just as another datapoint.... Since receiving my new 15" 2018 MBP w/ i9 + 32GB + 2TB... I've never had a KP, nor any crypto_val errors.

My T2 chip firmware version is - 15P6703

Just to confirm, do you have FileVault enabled? From what I've seen (and experienced), the crypto_val errors only occurs with FileVault turned on... and the only fix is to wipe/reinstall... also, it appears to be an issue with Apple's original image installed on the machines.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Are you on Mojave or High Sierra? Would it make a difference? Seems that no crash on Mojave yet.

It might. I have been hesitant to go there, at least until after the Genius Bar appointment. I mentioned in an earlier post that Apple Support shut me down on support assistance with my iPhone X until I rolled back IOS to 11.

So I just don't want to listen to any BS from them about how Mojave may be the cause of my problems and how they can't support devices with beta software. So until then, I will try to avoid another "Britanie" moment :)

Reactions: m-e and zargap

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
It might. I have been hesitant to go there, at least until after the Genius Bar appointment. I mentioned in an earlier post that Apple Support shut me down on support assistance with my iPhone X until I rolled back IOS to 11.

So I just don't want to listen to any BS from them about how Mojave may be the cause of my problems and how they can't support devices with beta software. So until then, I will try to avoid another "Britanie" moment :)

Yeah, it would be neat if Mojave fixes it but running a beta OS isn't a great solution. Frankly this is a serious and worrying issue but in practice it's more annoying than anything, I haven't lost any work or anything.

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA

Is there a date for official mojave release yet?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah, it would be neat if Mojave fixes it but running a beta OS isn't a great solution. Frankly this is a serious and worrying issue but in practice it's more annoying than anything, I haven't lost any work or anything.

Well, the solution the tech gave me over the phone was also half-arsed. While it appears to work in preventing crashes, I am not going to leave it that way. Shouldn't have to leave it that way.

His suggestion was to go into Energy Saver and set the "Turn Display Off After" setting to Never. Which of course comes with a warning that says "Never letting your display go to sleep may shorten its life" to which he assured me it would not. Yeaaaah.

But it also causes the laptop to remain warm and effectively stops it from deep sleeping to. That is definitely a half-arsed fix to a real problem.

Reactions: M.Rizk

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
No, Mojave doesn't solve this issue (at least not on Public Beta 4, since I had 2 KP on it)
I am on Public Beta 5 now and waiting to see. But since in my case I can't reproduce it, we are never really sure it's ok...
[doublepost=1533742028][/doublepost]
No selection is good?

u0xhdu9.png
Means at least it wasn't a KP... so may be good!

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Beta
No, Mojave doesn't solve this issue (at least not on Public Beta 4, since I had 2 KP on it)
I am on Public Beta 5 now and waiting to see. But since in my case I can't reproduce it, we are never really sure it's ok...
[doublepost=1533742028][/doublepost]
Means at least it wasn't a KP... so may be good!
Beta 6 has been released. Care for a quick test on the latest version?

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
I really want to know what the root cause of this is, as at the moment there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who is being affected and who isn't.

You would think a fix will come in a supplemental update, but we might never find out the exact reason why o_O

zandorf

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
I really want to know what the root cause of this is, as at the moment there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who is being affected and who isn't.

You would think a fix will come in a supplemental update, but we might never find out the exact reason why o_O

Hmm, I was just about to buy a new MacBook Pro but I think I will wait to see this issue resolved.

vtgeek

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Just happened to me after 4 hours use and did it yesterday morning after using it less than 20 minutes. 13, i7,16GB, 1TB. LG 4K Display via USB C, bluetooth wireless apple keyboard and magic trackpad 2.

Just going to some web sites.

The machine completely freezes and then the fan on the unit spins up about 5-8 seconds later and it reboots.

Get the bridge OS error report and submit it.

Seems par for the course.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hmm, I was just about to buy a new MacBook Pro but I think I will wait to see this issue resolved.

I am at that point as well. I have had mine a week. Not sure whether to have them swap it and hope for better luck, send it back and wait until a fix has been announced, or go a different route. I am as comfortable and happy with Windows 10 and I am with OS, so not fussed there

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Just to confirm, do you have FileVault enabled? From what I've seen (and experienced), the crypto_val errors only occurs with FileVault turned on... and the only fix is to wipe/reinstall... also, it appears to be an issue with Apple's original image installed on the machines.

I do not have FileVault enabled.
I also did a wipe/reinstall of High Sierra on day-1.
My use case requires case-sensitive file system. So, I reformatted the SSD as APFS case-sensitive (no encryption).

iam2diezel

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I had not experienced any KPs since this past Friday afternoon when the computer was left to sleep, lid closed, not connected to anything, including power, until last night.

Left the machine connected to my TB3 dock last night. Screen saver came on but I never did put the machine to sleep. Woke up this morning to grab the computer before heading out the door and found that it wasn't responsive. Closed the lid, threw it in my bag and headed in to work. When I got there, I opened the lid and it was still unresponsive. It was also pretty hot. No matter what I did, it wouldn't come on, so I needed to do a force shutdown. Started it back up a few minutes later, at which point I received the Bridge OS error.

15" i9 with 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD
10.3.6 with Supplemental Update
T2 Firmware: 15P6703

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I got another MBP – it's production date is July 30! – and out of the box Disk Utility had crypto_val errors. Formatted the drive, reinstalled system (without recovery loop this time, phew), no crypto_val. I haven't experienced the bridgeOS error YET, because I'm still busy keeping the computer on doing backups of backups of backups, but it fell asleep today (forgot to check power settings after migration), and nothing happened.

I have to say the crypto_val thing might be the worst mess I experienced from Apple so far. Not because of what it does, but because my machine was manufactured literally nine days ago and as evidenced they are still all being flashed with the corrupt image.

Reactions: SDColorado

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Just happened to me after 4 hours use and did it yesterday morning after using it less than 20 minutes. 13, i7,16GB, 1TB. LG 4K Display via USB C, bluetooth wireless apple keyboard and magic trackpad 2.

Just going to some web sites.

The machine completely freezes and then the fan on the unit spins up about 5-8 seconds later and it reboots.

Get the bridge OS error report and submit it.

Seems par for the course.
At least seems like the use of external screen and hubs multipliés the chances of a KP.
Will be using mine (dell 24" plus Belkin TB3) in 2 weeks and will see how it goes.

Beta

Beta 6 has been released. Care for a quick test on the latest version?
Dev Beta 6 is Public Beta 5 ;)

I got another MBP – it's production date is July 30! – and out of the box Disk Utility had crypto_val errors. Formatted the drive, reinstalled system (without recovery loop this time, phew), no crypto_val. I haven't experienced the bridgeOS error YET, because I'm still busy keeping the computer on doing backups of backups of backups, but it fell asleep today (forgot to check power settings after migration), and nothing happened.

I have to say the crypto_val thing might be the worst mess I experienced from Apple so far. Not because of what it does, but because my machine was manufactured literally nine days ago and as evidenced they are still all being flashed with the corrupt image.
Were did you find the date of production?

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I messed up my own testing of this theory by accidentally connecting my dock, but if anyone else would like to try it it would be neat, I'm trying to see how long I can go without crashes if I only ever have the power brick plugged in after booting. I went a whole 48 hours crash-free before accidentally connecting my dock (I bought a new longer cable for it that's also white lol).
It's clear that this crash can happen with nothing connected, but I'm not sure if it's happened if nothing has been plugged in previously.
Also I don't think I've said I'm on a base model 15", High Sierra w/ Supplemental Update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.