Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Were did you find the date of production?
Coconut Battery provides both assembly date and battery production date.
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 19.45.47.png

Reactions: m-e

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Coconut Battery provides both assembly date and battery production date.

I am not sure that is correct. Coconut battery shows mine as manufactured July 30 2018, and that was the day I received it FedEx!

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
No crashes for 9 days now. Trying to figure out if my usage patterns have changed at all but I can't think of anything.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I am not sure that is correct. Coconut battery shows mine as manufactured July 30 2018, and that was the day I received it FedEx!

9 days old? Seems very unlikely to me.

That’s actually the same manufacture date as mine and it arrived 8/1. It would seem you need to take Coconut Batteries info with a grain of salt
The manufacture date is indicated by the fourth and fifth digits of the serial number, and is only the week in which it was made rather than an exact date.

For whatever reason, coconutBattery takes the last day of that week as the manufacture date; in reality it could have been up to a week prior to that date.

Though it is perfectly possible to possess a MacBook Pro manufactured nine days ago, especially if bought from an Apple store. Their shipments come much faster than our online orders arrive, because they are part of a large batch that goes to a single address and uses a quicker delivery service. I once had a 2016 MacBook Pro that coconutBattery indicated was three days old (so in reality potentially 10 days old, but still...).

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The manufacture date is indicated by the fourth and fifth digits of the serial number, and is only the week in which it was made rather than an exact date.

For whatever reason, coconutBattery takes the last day of that week as the manufacture date; in reality it could have been up to a week prior to that date.

Though it is perfectly possible to possess a MacBook Pro manufactured nine days ago, especially if bought from an Apple store. Their shipments come much faster than our online orders arrive, because they are part of a large batch that goes to a single address and uses a quicker delivery service. I once had a 2016 MacBook Pro that coconutBattery indicated was three days old (so in reality potentially 10 days old, but still...).

That would make some sense. As much as I would like to believe they overnighted mine from Shanghai, I am sure they didn’t.

I placed the order 7/25 or 26, I forget which. So that’s probably closer to the correct date of manufacture from what you are saying

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Kinda sad macrumors hasn’t done a story on this while the speaker crackle issue has over a 100 less posts but gets front page news.

Yeah they did: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/26/apple-looking-into-t2-kernel-panic-reports/
[doublepost=1533754862][/doublepost]
I messed up my own testing of this theory by accidentally connecting my dock, but if anyone else would like to try it it would be neat, I'm trying to see how long I can go without crashes if I only ever have the power brick plugged in after booting. I went a whole 48 hours crash-free before accidentally connecting my dock (I bought a new longer cable for it that's also white lol).
It's clear that this crash can happen with nothing connected, but I'm not sure if it's happened if nothing has been plugged in previously.
Also I don't think I've said I'm on a base model 15", High Sierra w/ Supplemental Update.

I went 6 days without a crash when only having the power adapter plugged in during sleep. During the day, I also had my monitor hooked up, but it has only ever crashed during sleep for me.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015

Mine would be week 38, and we are week 32. Could you specify how they count weeks ?
[doublepost=1533757307][/doublepost]I may add in the meantime that I am still having the "Chime" sound (played when you plug in the power) going on and on even hours after I plug the power. No mater what USB C port I use and I have encountered this in different places, so no issue specific to electric outlet.

By the way, @StudioSanctum are you having any KP so far with your new machine ? Just to know if I can hope that my replacement unit may be worth it.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Mine would be week 38, and we are week 32. Could you specify how they count weeks ?
The fourth character of the serial is a six month period. E.g. V is second half of 2017, W is the first half of 2018, and so on.

The fifth character of the serial is the calendar week within that six month period. E.g. 1 = first week, and so on until 9, and then C is 10, D is 11, and so on until X which is 26 (some letters like I, O, are missed out because they can look like 1, and 0, and vowels are also removed).

For example, my MacBook Pro's serial is C02WX*******
  • Fourth character: W, which means the first half of 2018
  • Fifth character: X, which means the 26th week of that half
  • Which means built between 25 June and 1 July
I actually made a spreadsheet a while ago to work it out for me because I'm sad like that... :D

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 20.40.47.png

Let's pick another example made in the second half of a year. For example C02SV*******
  • Fourth character: S, which means the second half of 2016
  • Fifth character: V, which means the 24th week of that half
  • Which means 26 weeks (first half) + 24 weeks = 50th week of 2016, so 12-18 December
More info: https://beetstech.com/blog/decode-meaning-behind-apple-serial-number

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
The fourth character of the serial is a six month period. E.g. V is second half of 2017, W is the first half of 2018, and so on.

The fifth character of the serial is the calendar week within that six month period. E.g. 1 = first week, and so on until 9, and then C is 10, D is 11, and so on until X which is 26 (some letters like I, O, are missed out because they can look like 1, and 0, and vowels are also removed).

For example, my MacBook Pro's serial is C02WX*******
  • Fourth character: W, which means the first half of 2018
  • Fifth character: X, which means the 26th week of that half
  • Which means built between 25 June and 1 July
I actually made a spreadsheet a while ago to work it out for me because I'm sad like that... :D

View attachment 775069

Let's pick another example made in the second half of a year. For example C02SV*******
  • Fourth character: S, which means the second half of 2016
  • Fifth character: V, which means the 24th week of that half
  • Which means 26 weeks (first half) + 24 weeks = 50th week of 2016, so 12-18 December
More info: https://beetstech.com/blog/decode-meaning-behind-apple-serial-number
Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all this !
I may try to create a spreadsheet like yours just to see if I can :)

At least now I can tell you mine has been manufactured the 3 week of the 2nd half of 2018, which is the 29th week.
So between the 16th and the 22nd of July. Which is funny because I ordered mine the 24th of July and it was ab BTO (changed the SSD from 512GB to 1TB and the keyboard from French to English American)

Reactions: Brookzy

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all this !
I may try to create a spreadsheet like yours just to see if I can :)

At least now I can tell you mine has been manufactured the 3 week of the 2nd half of 2018, which is the 29th week.
So between the 16th and the 22nd of July. Which is funny because I ordered mine the 24th of July and it was ab BTO (changed the SSD from 512GB to 1TB and the keyboard from French to English American)
"Built to order" - emphasis on built, rather than made... the components are already stocked and are just put together to your specification which is why this can happen. :)

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
"Built to order" - emphasis on built, rather than made... the components are already stocked and are just put together to your specification which is why this can happen. :)
Yes I completely understand that. I would even imagine they may have some widely requested "custom"configurations ready to go :)

Reactions: SDColorado

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Yes I completely understand that. I would even imagine they may have some widely requested "custom"configurations ready to go :)

Aside from the configurations on the Apple web site, there are 2 "stock BTO" configurations that most Apple stores (and warehouses) will stock:

• 13" i7 2.7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD
  • 15" i9 2.9, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 560X

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
No kernel panics after upgrading to Mojave Public beta then downgrading to High Sierra so far.

Reactions: m-e

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Aside from the configurations on the Apple web site, there are 2 "stock BTO" configurations that most Apple stores (and warehouses) will stock:

• 13" i7 2.7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD
  • 15" i9 2.9, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 560X
Out of curiosity, I tried to check if this would be true in France too for both the 13 and the 15". And it is. I am quite surprised they would have this i9 configuration in stock but it's definitely right. Unfortunately none of these are my choice and in fact I always have to wait for BTO since I need to change the default keyboard :D

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
That’s actually the same manufacture date as mine and it arrived 8/1. It would seem you need to take Coconut Batteries info with a grain of salt
I can believe (but understand the weeks thing now, thanks for explanation!) my production date, because Apple and all resellers have been completely sold out except base configs of 13"/15", and I ordered this one the moment it appeared in stock again. There is, however, a chance it's much older, i.e. 15 days old ;)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
[doublepost=1533757307][/doublepost]I may add in the meantime that I am still having the "Chime" sound (played when you plug in the power) going on and on even hours after I plug the power. No mater what USB C port I use and I have encountered this in different places, so no issue specific to electric outlet.

By the way, @StudioSanctum are you having any KP so far with your new machine ? Just to know if I can hope that my replacement unit may be worth it.
No KPs yet still. I don’t use it very much because I also have a iMP, but I am hoping Apple publicly addresses all these issues very soon for us all.

Reactions: eagerwu and m-e

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
No KPs yet still. I don’t use it very much because I also have a iMP, but I am hoping Apple publicly addresses all these issues very soon for us all.
Thanks for the feedback!

In my experience, I didn't need to use it that much to get my KP. Just getting it out of sleep with a very light usage (first days with it, just taking some time here and there to make a list of the software I absolutely needed to re-install first was enough to get 2 KPs in 3 days :) )

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
As a data point for those trying to put together patterns, my MBP is one that has not experienced any Bridge OS kernel panics, T2 firmware 15P6703. I had issues getting a migration from old mbp to work, I ended up doing a MacOS recovery the week of July 30 (I got the laptop on July 30), and I am pretty sure what it downloaded was an OS with the supplemental update already included. If I check now, it shows the supplemental update as an update performed when I look at Updates in the Apple store, but it does NOT report that update, like another mbp does, when I look at the MacOS version in About this Mac. (where the supplemental update will show). I can confirm with the utilities that the supplemental update is there and working properly when I loid test the laptop. See images below ...
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 6.50.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 6.51.19 PM.png

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Yeah they did: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/26/apple-looking-into-t2-kernel-panic-reports/
[doublepost=1533754862][/doublepost]

I went 6 days without a crash when only having the power adapter plugged in during sleep. During the day, I also had my monitor hooked up, but it has only ever crashed during sleep for me.
Can I ask, do you use your monitor with the computer closed, open or both and did you use any of the other ports for anything else, especially near the end of that nice uptime streak?

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
As a data point for those trying to put together patterns, my MBP is one that has not experienced any Bridge OS kernel panics, T2 firmware 15P6703. I had issues getting a migration from old mbp to work, I ended up doing a MacOS recovery the week of July 30 (I got the laptop on July 30), and I am pretty sure what it downloaded was an OS with the supplemental update already included. If I check now, it shows the supplemental update as an update performed when I look at Updates in the Apple store, but it does NOT report that update, like another mbp does, when I look at the MacOS version in About this Mac. (where the supplemental update will show). I can confirm with the utilities that the supplemental update is there and working properly when I loid test the laptop. See images below ... View attachment 775095 View attachment 775096
I don’t think “About This Mac” will ever show the supplemental update (mine definitely doesn’t!), however you can click and it’ll show you the build number, which should be different to pre-supplemental update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.