Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
Until someone who has a way to trigger this issue tries it, hard to know.

In any case, this doesn't solve my Chime sound issue (lid closed, my Mac makes this sound just like if I just plugged it in power every few minutes most of the time... just like if it was stopping to charge at some point, then starting again, etc... not great for the battery I guess if this is really what's going on.
So I am still going to accept my replacement unit when it arrives...

Now I am also hearing the chime sound when the lid is closed. I thought maybe if I sleep it from the Apple menu then the sound does not happen but I still heard it after a few minutes.

Another oddity to watch out for. I am running High Sierra at the moment but with the newer T2 firmware.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Now I am also hearing the chime sound when the lid is closed. I thought maybe if I sleep it from the Apple menu then the sound does not happen but I still heard it after a few minutes.

Another oddity to watch out for. I am running High Sierra at the moment but with the newer T2 firmware.
I have what seems to be a bad news on this topic.
I left my MacBook Pro open, it went to sleep after some time as setup in Prefs.
But when I heard this chime sound, I noticed the screen wasn't sleeping anymore and showed my screen saver for maybe 1 or 2 seconds.

This looks a little bit like what some people here reported about how there external monitors were reacting while their Mac were sleeping. If anyone who had reported this could test to let their lid opened and see if there screen saver shows up too, would be interesting.

And do people using High Sierra could test this one too ?

I guess this would explain "why" connected device are more prompt for failure. If for example the Mac tries to mount a drive and then goes straight back to sleep mode, could be kind of a mess... Same goes with external display since it would try to switch to 2 display but stop nearly immediately.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
I have what seems to be a bad news on this topic.
I left my MacBook Pro open, it went to sleep after some time as setup in Prefs.
But when I heard this chime sound, I noticed the screen wasn't sleeping anymore and showed my screen saver for maybe 1 or 2 seconds.

This looks a little bit like what some people here reported about how there external monitors were reacting while their Mac were sleeping. If anyone who had reported this could test to let their lid opened and see if there screen saver shows up too, would be interesting.

And do people using High Sierra could test this one too ?

I guess this would explain "why" connected device are more prompt for failure. If for example the Mac tries to mount a drive and then goes straight back to sleep mode, could be kind of a mess... Same goes with external display since it would try to switch to 2 display but stop nearly immediately.
2018 mbp seems to be a premie...it's so unready...

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Did you use internet recovery to re-install HS? If so, it’s good to see that Apple finally got the image out there. My biggest concern with tossing beta 6 on mine is the T2 chip and not being able to restore HS should I need to.

I installed Mojave by downloading the beta app after signing up. Then I downgrading by pressing Option+Command+R right after power on to enter recovery mode, and your computer will download and install High Sierra with the supplemental driver. By using Option+Command+R you are ordering your computer to download the latest compatible macOS version for your computer, ignoring any betas you may have installed earlier.

More on recovery here.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
2018 mbp seems to be a premie...it's so unready...
That's one issue, plus as much as this forum makes it look like a big one, we are maybe 20 to have been reporting it here ?
Compared to the million that has been sold I guess, this seems to be a minor defect which is triggered in some specificities circumstances that are even nearly impossible to reproduce at will. Hard to prevent it from happening. Think of cars, even the most expensive one that are made for the general population (I mean not the models produced in limited numbers) have some issues that from time to time even implies recalls are at least are known to be prone to happen after xxxx miles.
Strangely, you would want a computer, which is a machine with some software, to be flawless ? This is impossible.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I installed Mojave by downloading the beta app after signing up. Then I downgrading by pressing Option+Command+R right after power on to enter recovery mode, and your computer will download and install High Sierra with the supplemental driver. By using Option+Command+R you are ordering your computer to download the latest compatible macOS version for your computer, ignoring any betas you may have installed earlier.

More on recovery here.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Thanks for that. I have used internet recovery quite a few times in the past on my 2016 / 2017 MbPs. . . I just know when the 2018 was released that Apple hadn't updated the images for it yet so people had issues. Thanks for letting me know it is cleared up and working.

BTW: My 15" had yet to have a single BridgeOS error until earlier today when I put it to sleep with my new 4k UltraFine attached. It had crashed and I had to force a restart. Since then I have put the machine to sleep with nothing connected except power and I have yet to have another problem.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I still haven't seen a single KP *knocks on wood* or bridgeOS error. High Sierra reinstalled from Internet Recovery. Build: 17G2208.
Same here, but its still disconcerting that so many folks have, we now have two computer lines that use the T2, and Apple is on the second year of producing the T2 but these problems still exist.

Reactions: dspdoc

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
On the phone with the support, since I am within the 14 days return policy, they are offering me a replacement unit procedure.
Waiting for another support person to validate this. Not sure this will help, but since I cannot have the replacement procedure after the 14 days and I have a BTO unit, I guess this is the simplest way to have a chance to get a flawless machine, if this is a hardware issue.

Waiting on them now to see how it should go.

EDIT : So Apple was up to their reputation. I can keep my Mac while they send a new unit which is scheduled to be delivered between the 20 and 22nd of August. All I have to do is keep mine as new, receive the new one, set it up and then only send back the actual MacBook Pro.

In the meantime I am updating to the latest Mojave beta so I will see if there is any improvement.
So quick update on my situation.
My replacement unit for my 15"MBP 2018 is "Shipped" as of today. Strangely, transport is set to be made by DHL starting in Eindhoven, Netherlands. But delivery date is not changed. My guess is my Mac will be sent in a batch of other computers going to Europe, and then only set aside for an individual tracking.

In the meantime, my actual MBP 2018 is still KP free and is still "chiming" when plugged and in sleep mode.
[doublepost=1533903645][/doublepost]
I still haven't seen a single KP *knocks on wood* or bridgeOS error. High Sierra reinstalled from Internet Recovery. Build: 17G2208.

Same here, but its still disconcerting that so many folks have, we now have two computer lines that use the T2, and Apple is on the second year of producing the T2 but these problems still exist.

Do you both have a base model or a BTO by the way ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you both have a base model or a BTO by the way ?

Technically its a BTO model that I ordered but for intents and purposes its the base. Stock 2.2, 550X, but with a 512GB SSD instead of the stock 256GB

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA

Under this configuration, I DID have a Bridge OS kernel panic while sleeping overnight.

I collected the full set of diagnostics (key press combo of shift/control/option/command/period) and attached them to my case file with Apple Support. I am supposed to get a call from Apple later today. I will ask for a replacement unit.

My TP firmware is of the Mojave build variety even though I was booted with High Sierra.

Regarding the chimes while sleeping, I left the lid raised and used the menu item under the Apple menu to sleep it.

When the chime occurs, the screen briefly wakes and shows the green battery symbol with the text 100% charged. Then the screen darkens again. This will then be repeated.

This did NOT happen when I was on the original T2 firmware.

If I do not have the power connected while sleeping, there is no chime.

Reactions: m-e

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA

And when you recovered, did you recover to the original T2 firmware for High Sierra, or did the firmware from Mojave remain?

The High Sierra T2 config is:

"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)",
"product" : "iBridge2,3",

The Mojave T2 config (for me) is:

"build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50351c)",
"product" : "iBridge2,3",

When setting up for switching between High Sierra and Mojave, the latter config was reported in the panic log from today's sleep crash and restart while I was booted using High Sierra.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
His suggestion was to go into Energy Saver and set the "Turn Display Off After" setting to Never. Which of course comes with a warning that says "Never letting your display go to sleep may shorten its life" to which he assured me it would not. Yeaaaah.
Well, technically he's correct, as high quality LEDs have a ridiculously long lifespan. You're not going to notice the degradation of the screen running a few days nonstop over the few years you will be using this laptop. But as you say, it is not a reasonable solution to this issue, or even a solution at all, as your computer then cannot sleep. You might consider shutting it down overnight instead of sleeping it, if you get a lot of these errors.

I have to say the crypto_val thing might be the worst mess I experienced from Apple so far. Not because of what it does, but because my machine was manufactured literally nine days ago and as evidenced they are still all being flashed with the corrupt image.
The crypto_val thing probably is completely benign and a non issue apart for the fact they're error messages I'd say. They appear to be simply missing version numbers which the OS thinks should have been there, but appears to have no other function apart from that. The computer and the filing system functions perfectly anyway, so a software patch could conceivably add them back in and then you'll never hear about this ever again. :) It's not a "corrupt" disk image at all.

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
This did NOT happen when I was on the original T2 firmware.

If I do not have the power connected while sleeping, there is no chime.

I was reading a couple of other forum threads and there are some people reporting this chime issue out of the box with a new mid-2018 MacBook Pro running High Sierra and the solution for some of them was found with a machine replacement. The new machine did not have the chime issue.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Well, it just happened to my 13" (i7/16/512). I've had no problems so far but I just went to wake it and realised it asked for me to type my password as it couldn't unlock with my Apple Watch after a restart. Once I was in, I saw the error.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-10 15:20:44.84 +0000","incident_id":"..."}
"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)"

So, what's the latest on this stuff? Do we have any idea if it's hardware or software? I haven't followed this thread much as I was lucky enough to not have any issues. My MacBook is 2 days past its 14 day return period.

Update: I spoke to Apple and they're sending me a replacement. That will come with its own 14 day return period so if it happens on that one in that time I might go for a refund and hold out on my old MacBook for a bit. Hmm.

Last edited:

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
2018 Macbook Pro 15" Base Model, 2.2/555x/256. The only issue I've been experiencing is that when I'm not using the MBP, I keep it in my backpack, but when I've removed it, it's warm. Very warm. Not burning hot, but it's quite obvious that something is still running... So either it's not going to sleep, or something is waking it up, which isn't comforting.

Other then that I'm liking it, except for the keyboard... I'm in the majority that actually liked the *clacking and loud keys on the 2nd gen.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Mine crashed 4 times yesterday. Finally called Apple and will be getting a replacement in the mail in the next week. Will report back if anything changes with the replacement model.

i7 2.2 / 16GB / 512GB

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
2018 Macbook Pro 15" Base Model, 2.2/555x/256. The only issue I've been experiencing is that when I'm not using the MBP, I keep it in my backpack, but when I've removed it, it's warm. Very warm. Not burning hot, but it's quite obvious that something is still running... So either it's not going to sleep, or something is waking it up, which isn't comforting.

Other then that I'm liking it, except for the keyboard... I'm in the majority that actually liked the *clacking and loud keys on the 2nd gen.

I recently had the same issue. Doesn't happen all of the time, but it definitely happens some of the time. While I can't confirm with 100% certainty, I think the warm sleep mode is being caused by my Apple Magic Mouse. If I am carrying the mouse with me in the bag (and the mouse is still turned on), my MBP will be warm. When I turn the mouse off, or don't carry it with me, my MBP has no trouble sleeping cooly. Do you have any BT accessories that may be waking up your MBP while its in your bag?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I recently had the same issue. Doesn't happen all of the time, but it definitely happens some of the time. While I can't confirm with 100% certainty, I think the warm sleep mode is being caused by my Apple Magic Mouse. If I am carrying the mouse with me in the bag (and the mouse is still turned on), my MBP will be warm. When I turn the mouse off, or don't carry it with me, my MBP has no trouble sleeping cooly. Do you have any BT accessories that may be waking up your MBP while its in your bag?
While I’m not carrying any bt devices, I noticed this exact same behavior when I left my UltraFine display plugged in. If I have only the power adapter plugged in this doesn’t happen.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
While I’m not carrying any bt devices, I noticed this exact same behavior when I left my UltraFine display plugged in. If I have only the power adapter plugged in this doesn’t happen.

Strange. Well, for most of the 16 days I've had it I've had the power and cable to the monitor plugged in and there's been no problem until now. I have a Magic Mouse connected via Bluetooth as well.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Strange. Well, for most of the 16 days I've had it I've had the power and cable to the monitor plugged in and there's been no problem until now. I have a Magic Mouse connected via Bluetooth as well.
Yeah, there really is no rhyme or reason to it. I picked mine up launch weekend and hadn’t had a single problem until I purchased the 4k UltraFine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, there really is no rhyme or reason to it. I picked mine up launch weekend and hadn’t had a single problem until I purchased the 4k UltraFine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you spoken to Apple about it? How are you connecting to the monitor? I'm using a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable that I picked up on Amazon.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Have you spoken to Apple about it? How are you connecting to the monitor? I'm using a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable that I picked up on Amazon.
No I’ve not contacted Apple. I figure with others having the same problem there isn’t much they can do at this point. I submit the crash logs and go about my day.

The UltraFine connects over usb-c.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
No selection is good?

u0xhdu9.png
After about 48 hours after wiping and reinstalling, I had my first unexpected restart, but no KP warning when I restarted and like this post, no log. Sup with that? Seems a bit more reliable since the wipe but maybe just placebo. I also have noticed the heat stuff, including just general idle heat that I think is pretty hot for doing nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.