Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Had another black screen unresponsive
After about 48 hours after wiping and reinstalling, I had my first unexpected restart, but no KP warning when I restarted and like this post, no log. Sup with that? Seems a bit more reliable since the wipe but maybe just placebo. I also have noticed the heat stuff, including just general idle heat that I think is pretty hot for doing nothing.

I still have this. No kernel panic reporting, but still hard reboots.

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
Had another black screen unresponsive

I still have this. No kernel panic reporting, but still hard reboots.

Just had the exact same thing happen to me.

Black screen, no response, force restart and the system comes back up with no trouble report dialog window and no panic log where I expect to see it.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Just had the exact same thing happen to me.

Black screen, no response, force restart and the system comes back up with no trouble report dialog window and no panic log where I expect to see it.
Had that too. But again, only when it went to sleep with my 4k connected. Freaked me out a bit as it took a bit to come back on after holding the power button.

Edit: every other time I close the lid without the 4k attached, it wakes up faster than I can open the lid all the way.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Have you filed for a refund?
For the computer or the crazy pills? Pretty sure I'm out of the 2 weeks and frankly, too time constrained and/or lazy to deal with it, like i've said the restarts are more annoying than anything in practice (for now).

Reactions: navaira

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
For the computer or the crazy pills? Pretty sure I'm out of the 2 weeks and frankly, too time constrained and/or lazy to deal with it, like i've said the restarts are more annoying than anything in practice (for now).

I get that it’s a pain but just know that if you asked for it you’d likely still get a refund or replacement. I just had a replacement ordered and I’m on day 16. They said something about it being possible up to 30 days in some situations.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Well, technically he's correct, as high quality LEDs have a ridiculously long lifespan. You're not going to notice the degradation of the screen running a few days nonstop over the few years you will be using this laptop. But as you say, it is not a reasonable solution to this issue, or even a solution at all, as your computer then cannot sleep. You might consider shutting it down overnight instead of sleeping it, if you get a lot of these errors.

I am sure that technically he *is* correct, but as mentioned it isn't really a solution. It treats a symptom, but doesn't address the underlying cause. Not to mention in the time that I tried it, the machine was constantly warm and I worry a little about image retention, even with the shifting screen saver. Maybe both of those are also unnecessary worries. But it still goes back to "it is not a reasonable solution."

That said, despite me having to explain to him that the T2 chip had a different procedure than the previous model, since we went through the SMC/NVRAM reset procedure, I have not had another BridgeOS crash. I am hesitant to call it "cured" since it has only been a few days, but keeping my fingers crossed.

HOWEVER... new symptom. My MBP occasionally reports ""Wireless signal is too weak to unlock with my Apple Watch" or something like that. Despite the fact that I am at the keyboard and the watch is obviously on my wrist. I am sure it isn't the watch, because I don't get that issue with my iMac ever.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I am sure that technically he *is* correct, but as mentioned it isn't really a solution. It treats a symptom, but doesn't address the underlying cause.
It would be a stopgap measure, until such a time Apple could get a real fix out there - if it's a software patch, or maybe a product recall of the affected units if it's a deeper issue. But yeah, it wouldn't be ideal, for sure.

Not to mention in the time that I tried it, the machine was constantly warm and I worry a little about image retention
It's OK; quality LCD panels don't retain imagery. :) Even those panels that are susceptible (I haven't seen one in years, and those were TN panels, not IPS) should be OK if you have a screen saver active (or a fully black - or white - screen.)

I am hesitant to call it "cured" since it has only been a few days, but keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm wishing you good luck! :)

HOWEVER... new symptom. My MBP occasionally reports ""Wireless signal is too weak to unlock with my Apple Watch" or something like that.
Weird... Having just received my own MBP the other day, this is the first time I got to try out unlocking with the Watch. My old MBP was six months too old to get the BT4.0 functionality necessary to enable it. Meh. Now though, every time I wake my Mac it either unlocks before I have time to finish raising the screen, or within a second or two later. I literally don't have time to reach the touchid button; it's been super reliable so far. OG Watch Sport, by the way. Over 3 years now, and shows that even an old dog can have new tricks! ;)

Reactions: Hakiroto

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Weird... Having just received my own MBP the other day, this is the first time I got to try out unlocking with the Watch. My old MBP was six months too old to get the BT4.0 functionality necessary to enable it. Meh. Now though, every time I wake my Mac it either unlocks before I have time to finish raising the screen, or within a second or two later. I literally don't have time to reach the touchid button; it's been super reliable so far. OG Watch Sport, by the way. Over 3 years now, and shows that even an old dog can have new tricks! ;)

It worked fine for 2 years on my 2016 MBP, which my wife now has. Works flawlessly on my iMac as well. It has worked up until a couple days ago fine on this one as well and still does 8 out of 10 times. More an annoyance than a real problem. But just another “feature” :)

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
After about 48 hours after wiping and reinstalling, I had my first unexpected restart, but no KP warning when I restarted and like this post, no log. Sup with that? Seems a bit more reliable since the wipe but maybe just placebo. I also have noticed the heat stuff, including just general idle heat that I think is pretty hot for doing nothing.

Look in the folder just above "Retired." All of my Bridge OS panic logs are in the "ProxidedDevice-Bridge" folder.

bchin

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
I noticed in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge that I have multiple powerchimed-xxxxxxx.ips files tagged with a timestamp that are within milliseconds of the Bridge panic-full-xxxxxxx.ips file.

In the powerchimed files I have 2 types of exceptions:
Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Do others that have the same files with exceptions ?
Wondering if its related to the bridge issue given the timing.

Example:
Code:
{"app_name":"powerchimed","app_version":"","bug_type":"109","timestamp":"2018-08-01 14:39:29.19 +0000","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","incident_id":"17DBB8BD-7171-466F-9655-4AA7A8CFF7A0","slice_uuid":"d66a7abc-5aff-3702-a9db-aeb69571e492","build_version":"","is_first_party":true,"share_with_app_devs":false,"name":"powerchimed"}
Incident Identifier: 17DBB8BD-7171-466F-9655-4AA7A8CFF7A0
CrashReporter Key:   c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001
Hardware Model:      iBridge2,3
Process:             powerchimed [48]
Path:                /usr/libexec/powerchimed
Identifier:          powerchimed
Version:             ???
Code Type:           ARM-64 (Native)
Role:                Unspecified
Parent Process:      launchd [1]
Coalition:           com.apple.powerchimed [49]

Date/Time:           2018-08-01 14:39:29.0805 +0000
Launch Time:         2018-08-01 14:39:28.8558 +0000
OS Version:          Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)
Baseband Version:    n/a
Report Version:      104

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000020
VM Region Info: 0x20 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4305813472

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Look in the folder just above "Retired." All of my Bridge OS panic logs are in the "ProxidedDevice-Bridge" folder.
I checked there after my last restart and there was nothing, right now just some xml lookin stuff in there, I'll definitely report back if I get something there.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I've had two KPs followed by the BridgeOS error log. The first time was before the supplemental update while it was asleep and connected to my LG UltraFine 4K monitor.

The second one was after the supplemental update while it was asleep, but not connected to anything except power.

My MacBook Pro was asleep from Tuesday - Friday this week while I was traveling for work, and no KP at all. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've had two KPs followed by the BridgeOS error log. The first time was before the supplemental update while it was asleep and connected to my LG UltraFine 4K monitor.

The second one was after the supplemental update while it was asleep, but not connected to anything except power.

My MacBook Pro was asleep from Tuesday - Friday this week while I was traveling for work, and no KP at all. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.
My exact experience. Exact same screen. I’ve not had any issues if it is just power though. Only with something else connected, and again, never on battery power.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Well, it just happened to my 13" (i7/16/512). I've had no problems so far but I just went to wake it and realised it asked for me to type my password as it couldn't unlock with my Apple Watch after a restart. Once I was in, I saw the error.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-10 15:20:44.84 +0000","incident_id":"..."}
"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)"

So, what's the latest on this stuff? Do we have any idea if it's hardware or software? I haven't followed this thread much as I was lucky enough to not have any issues. My MacBook is 2 days past its 14 day return period.

Update: I spoke to Apple and they're sending me a replacement. That will come with its own 14 day return period so if it happens on that one in that time I might go for a refund and hold out on my old MacBook for a bit. Hmm.

Mine crashed 4 times yesterday. Finally called Apple and will be getting a replacement in the mail in the next week. Will report back if anything changes with the replacement model.

i7 2.2 / 16GB / 512GB

Seems like Apple is offering replacement units pretty much easily. Good to know they went for it even after 16 days of ownership.

Maybe we could have a poll to know how many person here had the Bridge OS KP and how many of them went for a replacement.

I noticed in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge that I have multiple powerchimed-xxxxxxx.ips files tagged with a timestamp that are within milliseconds of the Bridge panic-full-xxxxxxx.ips file.

In the powerchimed files I have 2 types of exceptions:
Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Do others that have the same files with exceptions ?
Wondering if its related to the bridge issue given the timing.

Example:
Code:
{"app_name":"powerchimed","app_version":"","bug_type":"109","timestamp":"2018-08-01 14:39:29.19 +0000","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","incident_id":"17DBB8BD-7171-466F-9655-4AA7A8CFF7A0","slice_uuid":"d66a7abc-5aff-3702-a9db-aeb69571e492","build_version":"","is_first_party":true,"share_with_app_devs":false,"name":"powerchimed"}
Incident Identifier: 17DBB8BD-7171-466F-9655-4AA7A8CFF7A0
CrashReporter Key:   c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001
Hardware Model:      iBridge2,3
Process:             powerchimed [48]
Path:                /usr/libexec/powerchimed
Identifier:          powerchimed
Version:             ???
Code Type:           ARM-64 (Native)
Role:                Unspecified
Parent Process:      launchd [1]
Coalition:           com.apple.powerchimed [49]

Date/Time:           2018-08-01 14:39:29.0805 +0000
Launch Time:         2018-08-01 14:39:28.8558 +0000
OS Version:          Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)
Baseband Version:    n/a
Report Version:      104

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000020
VM Region Info: 0x20 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4305813472
Strangely, I don't have these... Anyone nows what this process does ?

I was reading a couple of other forum threads and there are some people reporting this chime issue out of the box with a new mid-2018 MacBook Pro running High Sierra and the solution for some of them was found with a machine replacement. The new machine did not have the chime issue.
Maybe we should start a thread aside from this one on this matter.
Have you called Apple about it ? Since I already called for the KP and was offered a replacement, I didn't call them again about this issue. Will have mine in 10 days and maybe you should ask for one too...
Could you point me to other forums discussing this issue ?

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
My fresh-out-of-the-box $4800 MBP has "restarted due to a problem" during sleep twice in three days. Apparently, I'm not alone:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8465477
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8464031

In my reading, I found that users of the Mac Pros are having the same issues:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8232619

The symptoms are crashing during sleep or high I/O activities (with a Bridge OS error), and a report of "Warning: crypto_val: object" when running Disk Utility (which may be unrelated). Note that these are the only two machines that use the new T2 chips.

Note that I reinstalled only the bare minimum software I use from scratch and avoided using Migration Assistant just so I could be sure nothing bad was transferred from my old computer.

Any of you other new MBP users experiencing the same?

I have the same problem with my MBP 2017 - very strange.

Sackofnickels

Suspended
Jul 13, 2018
When I start reading threads like this I think to myself, well it's just a couple of people with issues out of thousands of customers. But I have to say there are a lot of people with issues on this thread. Really makes me think twice about buying another MBP. Im going to wait.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
When I start reading threads like this I think to myself, well it's just a couple of people with issues out of thousands of customers. But I have to say there are a lot of people with issues on this thread. Really makes me think twice about buying another MBP. Im going to wait.

It's a shame, on my 2016 MB the logic board broke - then they gave me the 2017 version and this is even worst. If they would just update the MB Air, I would definitely get it.

Maybe too add and don't change the keyboard on the MB Air... When I see my colleagues tipping on their ugly Dell notebooks I feel so jealous, it looks so comfortable. :)

Last edited:

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
I have the same problem with my MBP 2017 - very strange.
I don't think so mate. It's a T2 chip related issue and T2 chip is only used on iMac Pro 2018 and mbp 2018. Perhaps some other factors are responsible for whatever happened on you 2017 mbp.
[doublepost=1533980390][/doublepost]
Despite the annoying reboot, I gotta say 2018 mbp is still a perfect machine. No need to wait from my perspective.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Really makes me think twice about buying another MBP. Im going to wait.
Apple has been dealing with the T2 crashing since last year. They've improved the stability so that many who are incurring it are incurring it less. There's still some who have a high occurrence of crashes it seems. Since Apple has a 14 day return period, try it out, and return it if you have issues.

I gotta say 2018 mbp is still a perfect machine
I wouldn't say perfect, some folks seem to have the crackling, others have the T2. My machine has neither and I'm really happy with it.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
My machine has neither and I'm really happy with it.

It's good to hear there are still people in this thread that haven't had any issues. Up until yesterday I was right there with you as this 13" had been perfect. No crashes, no restarts, no crackling speakers, etc. I just happened to wake it yesterday afternoon, though, and I'd also been hit with the "Bridge OS" kernel panic and restart. Nothing had changed; it had the same monitor cable and I was doing the same stuff I'd been doing with it for 2 weeks. No idea what suddenly caused it to happen but seeing as they offered me a replacement (on day 16) and said I can keep this one until the new one arrives (in 2 weeks) I figured I'd give it a go, despite honestly thinking it's software-related. The best part was that the new one will come with its own 14 day refund/return period and she said that can actually be 30 days.

Reactions: eagerwu and maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Up until yesterday
I will be honest, this T2 has me a bit spooked, and while I've yet to see a crash, I'm concerned it will happen at the most inopportune time. From what I've read (granted its not a lot), Apple believes its software related and so as time moves on, I think they'll improve things, but that doesn't answer why someone has the problem daily and I don't.

ut seeing as they offered me a replacement (on day 16)
This is why Apple is #1 in customer support. I was able to exchange an iPad months after buying it, and they permitted that. I was not a little over the 14 day return period, but months and they allowed it.

Reactions: m-e and Hakiroto

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I will be honest, this T2 has me a bit spooked, and while I've yet to see a crash, I'm concerned it will happen at the most inopportune time. From what I've read (granted its not a lot), Apple believes its software related and so as time moves on, I think they'll improve things, but that doesn't answer why someone has the problem daily and I don't.

Yeah, let's hope that's the case. It's still a bit worrying that people are having such crashes on their iMac Pros all these months later. Time will tell, I guess. I feel for the people who have these new MacBook Pros and are getting multiple crashes and restarts every day.

This is why Apple is #1 in customer support. I was able to exchange an iPad months after buying it, and they permitted that. I was not a little over the 14 day return period, but months and they allowed it.

Exactly. I've always had good experiences with Apple support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.