Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Just curious. For those who have no issues so far, do you have Time Machine enabled?

I have the same random crash and reboot issue with bug_type 210 and Bridge OS 2.4.1. This reboot seems to happen when TM is trying to perform backup to Time Capsule. But it does not crash everytime the backup happens. Nothing connected to the usb-c.

This is actually the third Macbook Pro 2018 with TB that I received. This one and the second MBP had this bug_type 210 when performing the first TM backup. Two days ago, I wiped out and reinstalled MacOS on this (Third) machine and it crashed again on the first TM backup. I'm disabling TM now to to test if this is the culprit on my end. Mine is still within the return window and thinking if I should exchange it again.

I do not have Time Machine enabled or File Vault turned on. I do have Siri turned on and I use Touch ID all the time. The only thing it is plugged into is the power cord which is unplugged when the computer is sleeping. I used Migration Assistant to transfer everything over from my 2016 computer but I don't have a lot on the computer. I didn't wipe or reinstall the hard drive. I have not had any crashes. I do have the Crypto_Val error. So far this computer has been perfect (knock on wood). I've had it since 7/15. 15", i7, 2.6GHz, 512 stock model.

Reactions: eagerwu

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I just had my first kp restart while my computer was running, I wasn't in the room while it happened of course.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
I just had my first kp restart while my computer was running, I wasn't in the room while it happened of course.
This KP/restart thing is a very upset experience on Mac to me. I will kill for a solution for this issue...A pain in my ass...

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
Just had my first Bridge OS kernel panic when running the latest Mojave Beta: 10.14 Beta (18A353d)

Tried to wake from sleep and the computer was unresponsive. A few keystrokes were attempted and the computer eventually rebooted with the usual panic file. The first few lines are:

Code:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50351c)","timestamp":"2018-08-11 19:57:01.72 +0000","incident_id":"6730A732-F6B1-4A60-B545-DFEEA53B488D"}
{
  "build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50351c)",
  "product" : "iBridge2,3",
  "kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.0.0: Sun Jul 29 18:04:32 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.200.342.0.1~23\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
  "incident" : "6730A732-F6B1-4A60-B545-DFEEA53B488D",
  "crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
  "date" : "2018-08-11 19:57:01.50 +0000",
  "panicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffff01f2e29f4): x86 global reset detected\nDebugger message: panic\nMemory ID: 0x6\nOS version:

Similar to what I see for High Sierra when it happens there.

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Just had my first Bridge OS kernel panic when running the latest Mojave Beta: 10.14 Beta (18A353d)

Uh oh, that's not a good sign. How long did it take for the kernel panic to happen after your started using Mojave?

It's been a week for me since I reinstalled High Sierra on my MBP and I have yet to experience any BridgeOS issues, however I'm starting to get these occasional weird audio problems where the sound in my headphones starts to stutter/distort. I'm within the return period until next Saturday.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Just had my first Bridge OS kernel panic when running the latest Mojave Beta: 10.14 Beta (18A353d)...

It's not good to see this also happening with Bridge OS 3.0. I would've hoped a major version update to Bridge OS would have a fix for this.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015

Tried to wake from sleep and the computer was unresponsive. A few keystrokes were attempted and the computer eventually rebooted with the usual panic file. The first few lines are:

Code:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50351c)","timestamp":"2018-08-11 19:57:01.72 +0000","incident_id":"6730A732-F6B1-4A60-B545-DFEEA53B488D"}
{
  "build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50351c)",
  "product" : "iBridge2,3",
  "kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.0.0: Sun Jul 29 18:04:32 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.200.342.0.1~23\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
  "incident" : "6730A732-F6B1-4A60-B545-DFEEA53B488D",
  "crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
  "date" : "2018-08-11 19:57:01.50 +0000",
  "panicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffff01f2e29f4): x86 global reset detected\nDebugger message: panic\nMemory ID: 0x6\nOS version:

Similar to what I see for High Sierra when it happens there.
I am a little bit disappointed here. But if I understand things properly, you have both OS on your Mac ? I am on the latest Mojave Public Beta and so far had no KP since this last update. Will try not to restart it for a full week (as long as no software that I use needs it, but I have a few in beta so sometimes its mandatory...) and see how to goes.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
It seems like I have another issue now with this 13" MacBook Pro. Just 2 days ago I was one of the "mine has been perfect for 2 weeks" people but then mine had its first first kernel panic (Bridge OS). This morning, mine was connected to my LG 4K and I realised I didn't have the power attached (and my battery was ~50%) so I went to attach it. The power cable touched the side of the MacBook casing, right next to the port, as I went to plug it in and the external monitor flashed off and back on again. It seemed fine after that until I'd put it to sleep and later came back to it. I woke it and the external display stayed black (on but with no picture) but it was still there as I could move my cursor up off my screen to the big 4K screen above (but just not be able to see it there). I checked the Console and found a lot of these:

error 08:58:43.476080 +0200 WindowServer [ERROR] - Fallback GPU Display Pipe transaction submission failed

Now I'm feeling a bit better about already having a replacement being built for me, despite actually thinking the Bridge OS kernel panics is a software thing. Any idea what this latest issue is? Could it be the USB-C to DisplayPort cable? It's been fine for a couple of weeks, as has the monitor.

Last edited:

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
It seems like I have another issue now with this 13" MacBook Pro. Just 2 days ago I was one of the "mine has been perfect for 2 weeks" people but then mine had its first first kernel panic (Bridge OS). This morning, mine was connected to my LG 4K and I realised I didn't have the power attached (and my battery was ~50%) so I went to attach it. The power cable touched the side of the MacBook casing, right next to the port, as I went to plug it in and the external monitor flashed off and back on again. It seemed fine after that until I'd put it to sleep and later came back to it. I woke it and the external display stayed black (on but with no picture) but it was still there as I could move my cursor up off my screen to the big 4K screen above (but just not be able to see it there). I checked the Console and found a lot of these:

error 08:58:43.476080 +0200 WindowServer [ERROR] - Fallback GPU Display Pipe transaction submission failed

Now I'm feeling a bit better about already having a replacement being built for me, despite actually thinking the Bridge OS kernel panics is a software thing. Any idea what this latest issue is? Could it be the USB-C to DisplayPort cable? It's been fine for a couple of weeks, as has the monitor.
What can I say...Welcome to the club Herr eattherich...sigh

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015

Never checked the Console but I had this kind of strange glitch with my 2015 MBPr a few times in 3 years. Not sure it is anything more than a isolated bug. Just like when you plug in an external monitor and it takes a few seconds to adjust. It may have been here "triggered" by some bug in Intel's management of the different USB-C bus or something like this.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Haha. Have you had this same issue? No the kernel panic, the GPU-related one.
No I don’t have this one. The Bridge OS one is annoying enough. I now use my old mbp 2017 for daily work and have returned my 2018. I just can’t afford a restart at an inappropriate moment during work. Guess all I can do is waiting.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
No I don’t have this one. The Bridge OS one is annoying enough. I now use my old mbp 2017 for daily work and have returned my 2018. I just can’t afford a restart at an inappropriate moment during work. Guess all I can do is waiting.
Luckily mine hasn’t had a problem in the past few days, and even when it did have a BridgeOS crash, it was never while I was using it. Only when it was sleeping *with* my UltraFine attached. I suppose I’m partially lucky.
[doublepost=1534073589][/doublepost]
It's not good to see this also happening with Bridge OS 3.0. I would've hoped a major version update to Bridge OS would have a fix for this.
With Mojave still in beta for the next month or so I wouldn’t be so quick to jump to the conclusion that this won’t be fixed before release.

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
I am a little bit disappointed here. But if I understand things properly, you have both OS on your Mac ? I am on the latest Mojave Public Beta and so far had no KP since this last update. Will try not to restart it for a full week (as long as no software that I use needs it, but I have a few in beta so sometimes its mandatory...) and see how to goes.

I am running a dual boot situation using 2 AFPS volumes as documented by Apple (see my earlier post). So I have not completely converted my boot volume to be Mojave only

I was in a Mojave state for a couple of hours when I slept it and came back to it an hour later and the machine would not awake as normal. I tried some key presses, unplugged and plugged power (heard the power chime each time), saw the touch bar show a few icons with the screen still black, and then the white Apple logo appeared indicating a reboot.

And I was offered the opportunity to report the problem to Apple (which I did) and found the panic log where you expect to find them.

I do not yet have a return process underway. My rep wanted to relay some info to Apple engineering first. We plan to speak again on Monday at which time I hope to begin the process. But I am not 100% convinced that a new machine is the ultimate answer here.

But the one I have now is unstable enough to expect a future software update to fix it.

Reactions: eagerwu

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Well, I arranged to have mine swapped out today. I had a genius bar appointment last night, but despite it showing no hardware faults, it still had a kernalOS panic last night. Which leads me to believe it is likely still an issue with the T2 chip only, which their hardware check at the genius bar doesn't really check/diagnose by their own admission. Or else it's a firmware issue. But either way, it isn't going to be resolved at the genius bar.

In addition to that, the genius noticed something I was afraid I was just being anal about. The coating along the upper edge was very uneven and when the light caught it, it looked rough. Running a finger across it felt smooth, if not a little tacky. So we (the genius and I) felt it was an uneven coating.

Either way, a replacement on is on its way.

Reactions: jjs357

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Well, I arranged to have mine swapped out today. I had a genius bar appointment last night, but despite it showing no hardware faults, it still had a kernalOS panic last night. Which leads me to believe it is likely still an issue with the T2 chip only, which their hardware check at the genius bar doesn't really check/diagnose by their own admission. Or else it's a firmware issue. But either way, it isn't going to be resolved at the genius bar.

In addition to that, the genius noticed something I was afraid I was just being anal about. The coating along the upper edge was very uneven and when the light caught it, it looked rough. Running a finger across it felt smooth, if not a little tacky. So we (the genius and I) felt it was an uneven coating.

Either way, a replacement on is on its way.

At least you will know soon if it is hardware or software. I was offered an exchange from Apple myself this past Friday but I don't think I'm going to bother with it. It hasn't crashed in the last 48 hours or so, even with things plugged in when it went to sleep, which leads me to software. If it was a hardware failure I would expect to see a problem occur more consistently.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Filed for a replacement myself. I don't like to worry when I buy a computer. Considering going back to Hackintosh as they have proven to be more reliable when properly set up.

Reactions: m-e

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Filed for a replacement myself. I don't like to worry when I buy a computer. Considering going back to Hackintosh as they have proven to be more reliable when properly set up.
Totally understand the idea.
If it wasn't for the crashes, at least I would have called for a replacement regarding the chime sound I hear every few minutes to every few hours. When the lid is opened I can see a "100% charged" with a battery logo just glowing for 1 second, when it hits 100%. And from this moment, a "Battery charged" every few minutes. Seems like the Mac is disabling / enabling the charge regularly.

Fingers crossed that the next one will at least be free of this chime sound thing. The KP, like others, I am sure is mostly due to macOS or Bridge OS or both + some kind of combo of hardware and installed software that can trigger it.

Reactions: jjs357

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Fingers crossed that the next one will at least be free of this chime sound thing. The KP, like others, I am sure is mostly due to macOS or Bridge OS or both + some kind of combo of hardware and installed software that can trigger it.

I am a bit worried that Apple may be leaving Intel for in-house chips. The problems with the T2 chip is a warning sign that they may be taking on too much responsibility. I think leaving x86 CPUs may be a bad idea. AMD GPUs and Intel CPUs are stagnating, but I can't really think of an alternative on the market worth adapting.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
At least you will know soon if it is hardware or software. I was offered an exchange from Apple myself this past Friday but I don't think I'm going to bother with it. It hasn't crashed in the last 48 hours or so, even with things plugged in when it went to sleep, which leads me to software. If it was a hardware failure I would expect to see a problem occur more consistently.

The “reassuring” part of the discussion with the tech was he said that they were well aware of the issue and have been tracking data trying to build a historical reference since it has only effected a small number of machines. So they have been tracking manufacturer date ranges, facility where it was built, since apparently there are like 3? Machine builds, etc.

Hopefully they will come up with a solution soon for all and I am hoping to get an unaffected machine this time, if he is being on the level that the affected ones are a minority.

His advice was to keep swapping them, regardless of how many swaps it took, to get an unaffected one. I really hope that’s not more than 1.

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
I was in a Mojave state for a couple of hours when I slept it and came back to it an hour later and the machine would not awake as normal. I tried some key presses, unplugged and plugged power (heard the power chime each time), saw the touch bar show a few icons with the screen still black, and then the white Apple logo appeared indicating a reboot.

Just happened again in Mojave. Same Bridge OS panic file in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge

So my machine is getting more flaky with time...

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
May I ask - do these kernel panics only occur whilst the MB is in sleep mode (with Power Nap on), or are users experiencing them during use?
Mine has only occurred with the machine plugged in and with the screen attached while in sleep mode. I *do* have power nap enabled for plugged in, but not on battery power.

Edit: I've turned power nap off. I'll leave the screen plugged in and see what happens.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I’ve had like 3 today. Pretty annoying, I feel like they’re more frequent after I reset my smc and nvram?? Also after resetting nvram I have a really tough boot, I’ve had to force shutdown cuz it was taking abnormally long. I’m gonna see if it can make it eventually, I dunno, seems wrong.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
May I ask - do these kernel panics only occur whilst the MB is in sleep mode (with Power Nap on), or are users experiencing them during use?
A few has reported KP on running Mac. Majority reported during sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.