Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
Thanks for all the answers. My local Apple Store does have the configuration in stock, so thanks for that tip. I'll exchange it there and skip the mailing in hassle. Thanks again to all responders.

So I hope that people able to do an in-store replacement can report back if the Bridge OS issue is gone or at least lessened.

I have a BTO with a 2TB drive so I must await a new computer being delivered before I can exchange and report out my experiences.

Reactions: SDColorado

cynicmouth

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Missouri, USA
So I hope that people able to do an in-store replacement can report back if the Bridge OS issue is gone or at least lessened.

I have a BTO with a 2TB drive so I must await a new computer being delivered before I can exchange and report out my experiences.

I had a CTO with 1TB. first one had bridge OS error; 2nd one had same bridge OS bug.... With that being said, I think this is more of a software bug than a hardware issue (unless I'm very unlucky).

Still this is quite troublesome...:(:(:(

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
BTW, Apple Store have i9/32/1T in stock nearly everywhere worldwide for some reason. You may be able to swap it in an AS if you can reach one ;)

Not in Colorado apparently. I tried that route first.

But otherwise I took a similar approach to you. I told them I already wiped my older one and gave it to my wife and transferred everything to this one. So sending it back and waiting 10 days would leave me without a computer for that time period. They said they understood and even expedited shipping on the new unit to try to shorten the wait time for me to receive it.

They are helpful as long as you politely and calmly explain your predicament.

The one thing I wish they would do however, is instruct the lower level reps you reach on the first attempt to not give that snide “They are just going to tell you the same thing I just told you” response when you ask to speak to their supervisor. Because again, if you are calm and polite and state your cause, that likely will not be the case

Last edited:

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
I had a CTO with 1TB. first one had bridge OS error; 2nd one had same bridge OS bug.... With that being said, I think this is more of a software bug than a hardware issue (unless I'm very unlucky).

So you would predict that at least some people who do get a replacement will not see the problem fixed. Will be interesting to see who the lucky ones are.

My local Apple store does have the i9/32GB/1TB model in stock as it turns out.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
So you would predict that at least some people who do get a replacement will not see the problem fixed. Will be interesting to see who the lucky ones are.

I think you are correct. It seems a certain percent are effected. Whether that’s 1%, 10% or more I am not even sure Apple knows at this point. It doesn’t appear to be all though, but definitely a chance you could receive one that’s as bad or worse than the one you’ve returned.

If that’s the case... try try again? Or look to alternatives. That’s an individual question/answer

cynicmouth

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Missouri, USA

That seems to be likely.... I want to see if others getting replacements not having issues afterwards.

Reactions: zargap

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
This would appear to be the corrected text that should be on Apple.com

hFpAv4s.png

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
For what it's worth:

"Engineering has determined that your bug report (42950411) is a duplicate of 41901876 and will be closed."

Reactions: m-e

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Updated to latest Public Beta.

I was on Public Beta 5 :
System version: macOS 10.14 (18A353d)
Apple T2 chip Firmware Version: 16P50351c

I am now on Public Beta 6 :
System version: macOS 10.14 Beta (18A365a)
Kernel Version: Darwin 18.0.0
Apple T2 chip Firmware Version: 16P50361a

I had no KP all the time I was on PB5 FWIW.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Strange that it would wake from sleep to display the message even with power nap turned off, no?
Probably not THAT strange. :) While you were raising the screen/waking up the computer, it checked your imessages and fetched the one pending, then by the time the screen came on it was already downloaded and ready.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Probably not THAT strange. :) While you were raising the screen/waking up the computer, it checked your imessages and fetched the one pending, then by the time the screen came on it was already downloaded and ready.
The screen was always open, and the machine was asleep.

bchin

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
I am seeing "AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.ARPT (Maintenance)" entries in power management logs every few minutes when my macbook pro is put to sleep via menu bar > sleep.

I'm assuming ARPT refers to Airport ie WIFI ?
Doesn't seem normal and I am wonder if its related to the BridgeOS crash.

I have 'Wake from WI-FI network access' disabled.
If I turn off WIFI and then sleep it stops appearing in the log.

To get the output I run this: log show --start 2018-08-14 --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

Can someone who the BridgeOS issue confirm if they see this in their logs ?

I don't seem to have this issue on my macbook air when I check the logs, connected to the same network / router.

Example:
2018-08-14 18:00:23.694499+1000 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.ARPT (Maintenance)

2018-08-14 18:00:23.694500+1000 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.ARPT (Maintenance)

2018-08-14 18:00:38.355241+1000 localhost corespeechd[309]: [com.apple.corespeech:Framework] -[CSHostDaemon _isWakeReasonVoiceTrigger] Wake reason: <private>

2018-08-14 18:00:38.355246+1000 localhost corespeechd[309]: [com.apple.corespeech:Framework] -[CSHostDaemon _getPowerAssertionIfWakenByVoiceTriggerNotFromS3Sleep] Wake reason is not VoiceTrigger or it wake from S0i

2018-08-14 18:00:38.751203+1000 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

2018-08-14 18:00:49.551375+1000 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The screen was always open, and the machine was asleep.
Its hard to tell if a Mac is asleep these days, the monitor could be off. Heck, the mac could be "off" as well. The only way to realize it was off, is the apple logo appears on a keypress or opening he Mac. I miss the glowing light and the startup gong.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
Updated to latest Public Beta.

I was on Public Beta 5 :
System version: macOS 10.14 (18A353d)
Apple T2 chip Firmware Version: 16P50351c

I am now on Public Beta 6 :
System version: macOS 10.14 Beta (18A365a)
Kernel Version: Darwin 18.0.0
Apple T2 chip Firmware Version: 16P50361a

I had no KP all the time I was on PB5 FWIW.

I just switched to the latest beta as well. I am still in my dual boot situation.

For the previous 24 hours I was running High Sierra again and I turned off Power Nap while on the Power Adapter setting.

No KP/restarts for over 24 hours after getting several previously when I had left Power Nap enabled all that time.

So I will run Mojave under the new beta for awhile with Power Nap disabled and see what transpires. If all is good for awhile, I will tempt fate and turn Power Nap back on.

I know Power Nap has been suggested as a factor in these KPs and I am looking to find something repeatable.

Reactions: csurfr

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I just switched to the latest beta as well. I am still in my dual boot situation.

For the previous 24 hours I was running High Sierra again and I turned off Power Nap while on the Power Adapter setting.

No KP/restarts for over 24 hours after getting several previously when I had left Power Nap enabled all that time.

So I will run Mojave under the new beta for awhile with Power Nap disabled and see what transpires. If all is good for awhile, I will tempt fate and turn Power Nap back on.

I know Power Nap has been suggested as a factor in these KPs and I am looking to find something repeatable.
A little off topic, but when you dual boot, are you signed into iCloud Mojave as well? Does the MbP show up a second time in your list of devices?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Not sure. How do I check this? My iCloud Drive shows up in Finder. Running Mojave right now.
Well then you are certainly signed in. On your Mac you can go to system prefs, iCloud, click on account details, and in the drop down there is a tab for devices.

This is more of a curiosity, to see if iCloud knows it’s the same machine, or if it thinks it’s a second one. Keep in mind, every device you have used is in that list if you haven’t removed them.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Not sure. How do I check this? My iCloud Drive shows up in Finder. Running Mojave right now.

iCloud.com > Find my iPhone
iPhone > Find my iPhone
iPad > Find my iPhone
iPod Touch > Find my iPhone

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Still on High Sierra with Mojave Public Beta T2 chip firmware 16P50351c. Haven't crashed in the last three days. Have filed for DOA, but they are out of stock, so keeping it until they are getting new Macs in stock.

I don't want to optimise settings that are default to avoid kernel panics. If a hardware tailored OS lacks functionality and needs its users to blindfolded find the solutions, then both the software and hardware is not ready for market and faulty. As much as I think Windows 10 and the Surface is behind, they have had group chat since 2015 through Skype and it is supported on all platforms. Most of the stuff I like with Apple hardware and software has been available for a long time. The new stuff like AirPlay 2 is also too late to the show, Spotify Connect is far superior for music, which is 99% of all my wireless sound redirects.

The reason to buy the latest Apple hardware is getting stale, and you have to be fan to follow the rally of "newness." Outside of the bridgeOS error and KPs I am pleased. The touch bar is still an gimmick as no other manufacturers have copied it. Had I bought the MacBook Pro 2015, I would probably keep following the "Waiting for..." threads instead of giving them my credit card info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hakiroto and M.Rizk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.