Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
The crypto_val stuff is unrelated and has no impact on the function of your computer whatsoever from what I can tell; it's purely administrative. It's three version numbers which "should" be there but aren't. It doesn't affect your computer other than showing up in the disk utility report.

is it something that will eventually get fixed, ie, with mojave? id rather not do a clean install over something that has no effect on performance, and doing a regular OS reinstall did nothing to fix it

jgolangco

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Folks- it's been about a week since I had an OS Bridge crash after taking out a USB-C Hub from StarTech (managed power, USB ports, 1 monitor). Previously, had a crash about once a day coming back from a long sleep. I also exchanged my Mac and it didn't help. Neither did reinstalling OSX. Reinstalling OSX did eliminate the crypto errors. I do have FileVault turned on.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
is it something that will eventually get fixed, ie, with mojave? id rather not do a clean install over something that has no effect on performance, and doing a regular OS reinstall did nothing to fix it

It doesn't seem like Mojave has anything to do with it. Doing a clean install with High Sierra gets rid of it (it did for me as well as many others on here) so my bet is that this is only on the current image used to set up all new 2018 MacBook Pros. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed on Apple's side. Yeah, it's a small thing that isn't causing any problems (as far as we know) but it's still not like Apple to leave it there.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

It doesn't seem like Mojave has anything to do with it. Doing a clean install with High Sierra gets rid of it (it did for me as well as many others on here) so my bet is that this is only on the current image used to set up all new 2018 MacBook Pros. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed on Apple's side. Yeah, it's a small thing that isn't causing any problems (as far as we know) but it's still not like Apple to leave it there.

The fix is simple... get a trial copy of SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner and make a full, bootable backup of your system on an external drive. Then reformat your APFS drive and reinstall High Sierra... when prompted, use the Migration Utility to restore from your external backup... easy peasy. Its annoying that it is necessary... but it's fairly painless. @Weaselboy laid it out in post #99 of this thread:

command-r boot to recovery then in the Utilities menu launch the Startup Security Utility and turn on a firmware password. Then restart into Internet recovery. You should get a prompt to enter firmware password you set, then it proceeds with the usual grey spinning globe as the recovery utility downloads.

Once that comes up, start Disk Util and erase Macintosh HD to APFS. Then quit DU and click reinstall OS.

This worked for me and setting that FW password is the only thing I can see here I did differently.

View attachment 773092

Reactions: Weaselboy

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
The fix is simple... get a trial copy of SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner and make a full, bootable backup of your system on an external drive. Then reformat your APFS drive and reinstall High Sierra... when prompted, use the Migration Utility to restore from your external backup... easy peasy. Its annoying that it is necessary... but it's fairly painless. @Weaselboy laid it out in post #99 of this thread:
FWIW I only rebooted with Cmd-R, used Disk Utility to wipe the drive, then clicked on "Install macOS" and it was done. Not sure why some people needed to use Internet Recovery but I read a few people got stuck in a loop reboot until they used Internet recovery, just in case.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
WTF!!!!!! Look what just happened on my $7000 iMac Pro! NOT COOL!!! FIX THIS GARBAGE NOW APPLE!!! I am certain that I speak for all Apple customers that spend their hard earned money on your products when I say this is completely unacceptable. And your silence on the matter only makes it worse!

This happened while my iMP was sleeping. Came to wake it up and had the KP error message.

Doing a wipe and clean install of your HD does NOT fix this btw, as I have done it multiple times. So whoever is posting that misleading info, please stop. When you post things like, “there is a fix for this” you are not holding Apple accountable or making them address this mess.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.3.2 (15P6059)","timestamp":"2018-08-15 20:45:37.05 +0000","incident_id":"502670C9-25D4-4B14-9CA4-E25A87298BE0"}
{
"binaryImages" : [
[
"ea400d2a-e41f-6e4e-0b32-a5e6010e1110",
"U"
],
[
"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"A"
],
[
"5abdfdb4-5f50-3aef-abc4-2c2671a4a572",
"S"
]
],
"build" : "Bridge OS 2.3.2 (15P6059)",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
"date" : "2018-08-15 20:45:36.77 +0000",
"incident" : "502670C9-25D4-4B14-9CA4-E25A87298BE0",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jun 15 23:12:25 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.1~3\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
"macOSOtherString" : "\n** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 532784 **\n",
"macOSPanicFlags" : "0x4",
"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 14 caller 0xffffff80040fa900): \"Sleep\/Wake hang detected\"@\/BuildRoot\/Library\/Caches\/com.apple.xbs\/Sources\/xnu\/xnu-4570.71.2\/iokit\/Kernel\/IOPMrootDomain.cpp:9838\nBacktrace (CPU 14)

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
WTF!!!!!! Look what just happened on my $7000 iMac Pro! NOT COOL!!! FIX THIS GARBAGE NOW APPLE!!! I am certain that I speak for all Apple customers that spend their hard earned money on your products when I say this is completely unacceptable. And your silence on the matter only makes it worse!

This happened while my iMP was sleeping. Came to wake it up and had the KP error message.

Doing a wipe and clean install of your HD does NOT fix this btw, as I have done it multiple times. So whoever is posting that misleading info, please stop. When you post things like, “there is a fix for this” you are not holding Apple accountable or making them address this mess.

Sorry, man... that's rough... and yeah, Apple needs to make a statement AND then get off their @$$e$ and find/fix the problem. There is NO excuse for their silence.

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Sorry, man... that's rough... and yeah, Apple needs to make a statement AND then get off their @$$e$ and find/fix the problem. There is NO excuse for their silence.
I’m pissed off for all of us experiencing this garbage. No matter how much $ someone has spent. I don’t care if was only a $500 machine. Apple needs to break their silence and own this!

They can’t be waiting for Mojave to fix this either, because in the audio/video business we wait until like dot 5 of a release or even longer before even considering updating to the latest OS.
[doublepost=1534372113][/doublepost]
545CC345-DFB5-4CAC-A940-747DF51AB0E4.png
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8236615?page=14

Last edited:

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
I’m pissed off for all of us experiencing this garbage. No matter how much $ someone has spent. I don’t care if was only a $500 machine. Apple needs to break their silence and own this!

Yeah I'm seriously just pissed off at this point, more so because of the lack of media attention this is getting. There is a FATAL issue affecting two of apple's most expensive machines, and somehow that's not enough to stir up some attention to further pressure the company? Apple's silence is pretty typical of them in these situations, yet it's still inexcusable. I just want more pressure to be put on them. It feels like all of us in this thread are being shut out and ignored.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Yeah I'm seriously just pissed off at this point, more so because of the lack of media attention this is getting. There is a FATAL issue affecting two of apple's most expensive machines, and somehow that's not enough to stir up some attention to further pressure the company? Apple's silence is pretty typical of them in these situations, yet it's still inexcusable. I just want more pressure to be put on them. It feels like all of us in this thread are being shut out and ignored.
IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN AFTER GOING TO SLEEP!!!!!!! THAT IS TWICE IN THE PAST 4 HOURS!

Problem Report for Kernel 2018-08-15 17-46-34.png

[doublepost=1534376295][/doublepost]And yet another KP after sleeping.......... WOW Apple!
KP2.png

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Maybe Apple will place a little piece of silicon over the T2 chip and call it good? I know it’s not really funny, but what can we do but wait?
I for one would like to see this get way more attention. Like the throttling issue did. I’m not sure why it’s not. Having your machine KP and reboot itself from sleep is pretty serious I’d say. Is there not enough noise being made? Are the powers that be at MR not helping us push this harder like they did other issues? Either way this has been going on for a VERY long time. A simple internet search shows that this has been an issue since the iMac Pro release. That means it is widespread and that Apple has done nothing about it. A solution is long overdue.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I for one would like to see this get way more attention. Like the throttling issue did. I’m not sure why it’s not. Having your machine KP and reboot itself from sleep is pretty serious I’d say. Is there not enough noise being made? Are the powers that be at MR not helping us push this harder like they did other issues? Either way this has been going on for a VERY long time. A simple internet search shows that this has been an issue since the iMac Pro release. That means it is widespread and that Apple has done nothing about it. A solution is long overdue.

I don’t disagree with you. I am awaiting my replacement unit. It appears to be held up in customs and won’t arrive until the 20th. I am hoping that the replacement one doesn’t suffer the same issue as it appears that not all of them do. If it does, I will return that one as well and maybe have to look elsewhere. It’s hard to believe that Apple went ahead and ignored the issues with the T2 chip in the iMac Pro and put it into production in the new MBP when they knew they had no answers to the problems plaguing at least a percentage of them.

But here we are ...

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I don’t disagree with you. I am awaiting my replacement unit. It appears to be held up in customs and won’t arrive until the 20th. I am hoping that the replacement one doesn’t suffer the same issue as it appears that not all of them do. If it does, I will return that one as well and maybe have to look elsewhere. It’s hard to believe that Apple went ahead and ignored the issues with the T2 chip in the iMac Pro and put it into production in the new MBP when they knew they had no answers to the problems plaguing at least a percentage of them.

But here we are ...
Exactly. And apparently they have ignored it. This is my 2nd iMP and my 2nd MBP. I could be wrong, but I would venture to guess that they all suffer from this to a certain extent. It’s just others aren’t experiencing it because they are not allowing their machines to sleep or they are shutting them down. I personally think that is why we aren’t hearing even more about it. I have a friend with I think his 2nd or 3rd iMP and his does it as well. He says he just never lets it sleep. I think it’s pathetic when we have to start implementing ‘work arounds’ for Apple’s bugs.

Reactions: claudio7ita

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Exactly. And apparently they have ignored it. This is my 2nd iMP and my 2nd MBP. I could be wrong, but I would venture to guess that they all suffer from this to a certain extent. It’s just others aren’t experiencing it because they are not allowing their machines to sleep or they are shutting them down. I personally think that is why we aren’t hearing even more about it. I have a friend with I think his 2nd or 3rd iMP and his does it as well. He says he just never lets it sleep. I think it’s pathetic when we have to start implementing ‘work arounds’ for Apple’s bugs.

Mine was doing it regularly, then I initiated a call to Apple to do an advanced exchange. Since Saturday when Apple processed the exchange it hasn’t done it.

I would just cancel the order for the replacement one if I wasn’t sure that as soon as I did it would start doing it again.

So random and exasperating

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Mine was doing it regularly, then I initiated a call to Apple to do an advanced exchange. Since Saturday when Apple processed the exchange it hasn’t done it.

I would just cancel the order for the replacement one if I wasn’t sure that as soon as I did it would start doing it again.

So random and exasperating
That’s what is most frustrating is how random it is. And again, this probably leads to less machines being reported than should be.

Reactions: SDColorado

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Agree. And I believe that there is no guarantee that a machine that hasn’t done it to date, won’t in the future. Hard to say since nobody seems to have pinpointed the exact issue.
Wouldn’t it be great if we could all come together and say “x” is what causes it?

Mine has only crashed, I dunno...2-3 times.

- When the machine slept with my 4k ultrafine attached.

Someone asked about Bluetooth devices being connected, and I originally said “none connected” thinking of my MX Master that was turned off. I had completely mind-blanked my Magic TrackPad 2. I haven’t been using it, and so now it is off and in a drawer.

I have turned off power nap, and the machine has been flawless ever since. Even with the 4k attached. It wakes as it is supposed to, and the 4k powers back up.

So, while I realize that I’m a minority, I wanted to add my exact use case to at least one post. Perhaps we can get a mod to make a wiki post where we can add any symptoms or whatnot to a list. Perhaps someone with an open ticket to the engineers can copy / paste our configs.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Wouldn’t it be great if we could all come together and say “x” is what causes it?

Mine has only crashed, I dunno...2-3 times.

- When the machine slept with my 4k ultrafine attached.

Someone asked about Bluetooth devices being connected, and I originally said “none connected” thinking of my MX Master that was turned off. I had completely mind-blanked my Magic TrackPad 2. I haven’t been using it, and so now it is off and in a drawer.

I have turned off power nap, and the machine has been flawless ever since. Even with the 4k attached. It wakes as it is supposed to, and the 4k powers back up.

So, while I realize that I’m a minority, I wanted to add my exact use case to at least one post. Perhaps we can get a mod to make a wiki post where we can add any symptoms or whatnot to a list. Perhaps someone with an open ticket to the engineers can copy / paste our configs.
It would be awesome if we could narrow it down to one thing or another. The problem is there are simply too many variables. The only constants are the T2 chip MBP and iMP. Either way Apple has got to address this very soon and at least publicly acknowledge it. It is obviously a sleep related issue and the T2 chip. The question that I have is, does it always have to do with having something external connected? I had it occur on my MBP with nothing at all connected except the charger I believe. I have escalated this as high up the chain as I can get. Still radio silence.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
It would be awesome if we could narrow it down to one thing or another. The problem is there are simply too many variables. The only constants are the T2 chip MBP and iMP. Either way Apple has got to address this very soon and at least publicly acknowledge it. It is obviously a sleep related issue and the T2 chip. The question that I have is does it always have to do with having something external connected? I had it occur on my MBP with nothing at all connected except the charger I believe. I have escalated this as high up the chain as I can get. Still radio silence.
Mine has had 3 of these KPs so far. Once while connected to my LG UltraFine 4K display and twice while only connected to power. All were while the machine was asleep.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
It would be awesome if we could narrow it down to one thing or another. The problem is there are simply too many variables. The only constants are the T2 chip MBP and iMP. Either way Apple has got to address this very soon and at least publicly acknowledge it. It is obviously a sleep related issue and the T2 chip. The question that I have is, does it always have to do with having something external connected? I had it occur on my MBP with nothing at all connected except the charger I believe. I have escalated this as high up the chain as I can get. Still radio silence.

I’m curious... you have both, right? iMac Pro, and 2018 MacBook Pro? Do both of your T2 have the same firmware, do you know? I was wondering if there might be a slight variance in the two chips, which would lead to different firmware versions.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Mine has had 3 of these KPs so far. Once while connected to my LG UltraFine 4K display and twice while only connected to power. All were while the machine was asleep.
I have two machines doing it. Both my iMP and MBP. I’ve given up on the MBP. Apple released a beta product with it in my opinion. I will be getting a refund on that and waiting till if and when Apple pulls their head out to buy another Apple laptop. They are in such a sad state QC and testing wise that it is beginning to seriously worry me.
[doublepost=1534389219][/doublepost]
I’m curious... you have both, right? iMac Pro, and 2018 MacBook Pro? Do both of your T2 have the same firmware, do you know? I was wondering if there might be a slight variance in the two chips, which would lead to different firmware versions.
Yes I have both, but they both exhibit the issue. Not sure on firmware versions. They are both running 10.13.6 though.

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Is this happening on the 15" & 13" ? I have the 15" 2018 base but haven't had any issues... yet, and I'm still within the 2 week window to swap. I usually don't shutdown ever, just close the lid to let it sleep, and I don't use peripherals unless the occasional USB key counts.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

I have no bluetooth devices connected permanently. Just AirPods which aren't connected when it is sleeping, so I am guessing that bluetooth isn't the issue for me.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Is this happening on the 15" & 13" ? I have the 15" 2018 base but haven't had any issues... yet, and I'm still within the 2 week window to swap. I usually don't shutdown ever, just close the lid to let it sleep, and I don't use peripherals unless the occasional USB key counts.
It's more of a software-related issue and a replacement may not help in this case. All we can do is to keep our finger crossed and hope Apple will fix it asap.

Reactions: SDColorado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.