Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I am returning my for a refund... It seems the only way anyone is ever going to get Apple's attention is by protesting with their $.

I will likely end up doing the same if the issues continue with the replacement one that is on its way. The problem is that I need a new laptop since my wife took my 2016, so what to get? I have looked at some alternatives, but haven't found anything else that I am in love with, despite not having any issues with PC/Windows 10. I just haven't fallen in love with the hardware.

Now this looks like new issue(may be) with Macbook Pro's :D :apple:

Fast charge? Heck of a power supply for the size :)

dzaiats

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
A little update on this topic.

Of course, that 24 hours are not an indicator, but anyway it worth to try.
Go to Settings->Energy Saver.
1. UNCHECK automatical switching between the GPUs (if exists of course)
2. CHECK prevent computer from sleeping automatically...
3. UNCHECK put hard disk to sleep

4. UNCHECK Power Nap (regarding)
5. Turn display off after: - NEVER

I will update this topic if everything is fine.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/33764061#message33764061

Reactions: rgbtoo

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
The question that I have is, does it always have to do with having something external connected?

Not at all. I have zero nothing nada connected and have 3 to 4 crashes a day. I could have more if I put it to sleep more. Maybe I should connect some random stuff to see if that helps. It's actually embarrassing.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
A little update on this topic.

Of course, that 24 hours are not an indicator, but anyway it worth to try.
Go to Settings->Energy Saver.
1. UNCHECK automatical switching between the GPUs (if exists of course)
2. CHECK prevent computer from sleeping automatically...
3. UNCHECK put hard disk to sleep

4. UNCHECK Power Nap (regarding)
5. Turn display off after: - NEVER

I will update this topic if everything is fine.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/33764061#message33764061
Wow... I for one am not making these concessions for Apple when they need to just FIX THIS! (You're holding it wrong)

Reactions: M.Rizk and Hakiroto

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
So I hope that people able to do an in-store replacement can report back if the Bridge OS issue is gone or at least lessened.

I have a BTO with a 2TB drive so I must await a new computer being delivered before I can exchange and report out my experiences.

I replaced my 15 inch i9/32/1T that was experiencing kernel panics while sleeping with one from the local Apple Store. It's been two days without a kernel panic on the new one. I have file vault turned on, am backing up to Time Machine, have it connected to a LG 5K, and a small hub with three USB-A connections and an ethernet connections. I have put it to sleep manually and allowed it to go to sleep on its own. The only things I haven't tried are keeping the lid shut (I leave it open to use Touch ID) or plug and unplug things while it is sleeping. Do these same things on he earlier computer would guarantee kernel panics within a few hours. Two days is obviously not definitive, but it's longer than the other one went. Knocking on wood.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I am returning my for a refund... It seems the only way anyone is ever going to get Apple's attention is by protesting with their $.
The issue has all Apple's attention I am sure. Otherwise a few here (and I guess a lot more that are not here) wouldn't have case numbers and Apple tech people calling us to check on the evolution of this issue and asking for sysdiagnose files.
As long as they don't have enough data to understand the issue, they won't state anything, like any other company in their shoes.

Not at all. I have zero nothing nada connected and have 3 to 4 crashes a day. I could have more if I put it to sleep more. Maybe I should connect some random stuff to see if that helps. It's actually embarrassing.
Have you called Apple ? I guess a Mac like yours would be VERY interesting for them to understand the issue since you seem to be able to reproduce it. You are the first one here stating it happens that often. If you can, you should call them, ask for a replacement and ask for a case to be open in the meantime so you may share sysdiagnose files. All they are looking for is a way to get those files just after a crash (you can create them with left Shift+Ctrl+Option+Cmd pressed and then just pressing once the "." stroke. The screen will flash and after a while the Finder will open a window with the file (it will be a ~230MB file)

And anyone having this issue should do this and try to send those files to Apple.

I will add the tech person from Apple I had on the phone today seems interested in the fact I am using Mojave and still got one KP with it.
[doublepost=1534448836][/doublepost]
I replaced my 15 inch i9/32/1T that was experiencing kernel panics while sleeping with one from the local Apple Store. It's been two days without a kernel panic on the new one. I have file vault turned on, am backing up to Time Machine, have it connected to a LG 5K, and a small hub with three USB-A connections and an ethernet connections. I have put it to sleep manually and allowed it to go to sleep on its own. The only things I haven't tried are keeping the lid shut (I leave it open to use Touch ID) or plug and unplug things while it is sleeping. Do these same things on he earlier computer would guarantee kernel panics within a few hours. Two days is obviously not definitive, but it's longer than the other one went. Knocking on wood.
Have you reinstalled everything just like your first computer ? On the first one, did KP occur before your first Time Machine backup ? I was also asked if I had Time Machine on, but so far I haven't used this feature with this Mac since I know I am going to swap it. So at least they were interested in TM to see if this is triggering something.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Have you called Apple ? I guess a Mac like yours would be VERY interesting for them to understand the issue since you seem to be able to reproduce it. You are the first one here stating it happens that often. If you can, you should call them, ask for a replacement and ask for a case to be open in the meantime so you may share sysdiagnose files. All they are looking for is a way to get those files just after a crash (you can create them with left Shift+Ctrl+Option+Cmd pressed and then just pressing once the "." stroke. The screen will flash and after a while the Finder will open a window with the file (it will be a ~230MB file)

And anyone having this issue should do this and try to send those files to Apple.

I had a support chat and a visit to the genius bar. Both were a waste of time. I am still looking for a couple of hours of my time to get on a phone call. As far as diagnose files, I always click on "Send Report or Send to Apple" on the crash notification popup. Isn't that sufficient?

EDIT: BTW, the genius at the bar asked me to call 1800myapple, is that the best number?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I had a support chat and a visit to the genius bar. Both were a waste of time. I am still looking for a couple of hours of my time to get on a phone call. As far as diagnose files, I always click on "Send Report or Send to Apple" on the crash notification popup. Isn't that sufficient?

EDIT: BTW, the genius at the bar asked me to call 1800myapple, is that the best number?
About the number I don't know since I am in Europe... but I called the number for the commercial support (the one you call if you have an issue with an order on the online Apple Store for example) and they redirected me to the proper persons on the technical support. My chance was that the person on the commercial support was "techie" enough to understand this was very unusual, especially after a fresh reinstallation, so he didn't waste my time and redirected me immediately.
I wouldn't bother going to the Genius Bar on the contrary, since in the past few years, people in the Genius Bar seems to know less about their products than any customer following Apple regularly does. At least most of the time they end up with an acceptable solution (mainly replacing the faulty item... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

For the crash report, I am pretty sure it's not enough since this doesn't create sysdiagnose files. I also now that they were able to call me because I talked to the technical support and told them about my KPs, crash report being anonymous AFAIK.

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018

Well, obviously I shouldn't have posted because within minutes I had the Bridge OS error again. I had put my Mac to sleep and within an hour I found that it had crashed. Same error message as the earlier MacBook Pro.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Well, obviously I shouldn't have posted because within minutes I had the Bridge OS error again. I had put my Mac to sleep and within an hour I found that it had crashed. Same error message as the earlier MacBook Pro.
Do you have a case number with Apple ?
If not, try to get one and create a sysdiagnose file in the meantime : press left Shift+Ctrl+Option+Cmd and then just pressing once the "." stroke while keeping other keys pressed. The screen will flash and after a while the Finder will open a window with the file (it will be a ~230MB file)

This file will be helpful for Apple to understand the issue.

Reactions: Hakiroto

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
This is exactly why I am honestly thinking that ALL T2 Mac computers do this (MBP iMP) and that the only reason that this hasn't gone totally viral is because #1 it is random and intermittent #2 there are probably many many people who never let their machine sleep, or are shutting it down. My gut instinct is this isn't just a random batch of bad T2 chips. This really needs immediate serious attention by Apple and public acknowledgement.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Actually mine has been the same. Other than the random wake issue.

Random wake?

I am on the contrary trying to reproduce a KP so ican send them a sysdiagnose file :)
But disabling Bluetooth off is a little like disabling some aspects of PowerNap. Maybe that's why it seems to be more stable.

3cUfhqQ.jpg

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
Do you have a case number with Apple ?
If not, try to get one and create a sysdiagnose file in the meantime : press left Shift+Ctrl+Option+Cmd and then just pressing once the "." stroke while keeping other keys pressed. The screen will flash and after a while the Finder will open a window with the file (it will be a ~230MB file)

This file will be helpful for Apple to understand the issue.

I don't have a case number yet, but I'm in touch with a senior support person who is on the ball and going to work with me to open a ticket with engineering tomorrow. I'll follow your instructions to create a sysdiagnose file tonight.

Reactions: m-e

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Random wake?

Yessir. @. 5am with the display open and power nap off, both of my screens lit up with a notification for an email, just like it would if power nap was on. This is currently the only problem I am having. BridgeOS crashes have ceased completely. It doesn't do with with every email or iMessage. Just randomly.

bchin

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
Yessir. @. 5am with the display open and power nap off, both of my screens lit up with a notification for an email, just like it would if power nap was on.

You can turn on 'Do No Disturb' > 'When the display is sleeping' to stop the notifications waking your machine in System Preferences > Notifications.

After I did that my machine didn't wake randomly on sleep and also haven't had a BridgeOS crash yet since making the change.

Last edited:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
You can turn on 'Do No Disturb' > 'When the display is sleeping' to stop the notifications waking your machine in System Preferences > Notifications.

After I did that my machine didn't wake randomly on sleep and also hasn't had a BridgeOS crash yet.

I had no idea this was a thing (i.e. if power nap was off notifications would not be shown with the screen off / machine asleep. I thought that power nap controlled that. Thanks! I have it off, I'll report back on this.

bchin

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
I had no idea this was a thing (i.e. if power nap was off notifications would not be shown with the screen off / machine asleep. I thought that power nap controlled that. Thanks! I have it off, I'll report back on this.

You'd think so... but seems like power management setting are scattered across system preferences.

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
This is exactly why I am honestly thinking that ALL T2 Mac computers do this (MBP iMP) and that the only reason that this hasn't gone totally viral is because #1 it is random and intermittent #2 there are probably many many people who never let their machine sleep, or are shutting it down. My gut instinct is this isn't just a random batch of bad T2 chips. This really needs immediate serious attention by Apple and public acknowledgement.

Another complication is that there are TWO distinct types of BridgeOS errors: One where the computer kernel panics during sleep, and one where the computer kernel panics while it is running. I for one have experienced seven total kernel panics, and all of them happened while I was actively using the computer. I have never encountered a BridgeOS error happening during sleep, yet there are people in this thread who have experienced the exact opposite.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Another complication is that there are TWO distinct types of BridgeOS errors: One where the computer kernel panics during sleep, and one where the computer kernel panics while it is running. I for one have experienced seven total kernel panics, and all of them happened while I was actively using the computer. I have never encountered a BridgeOS error happening during sleep, yet there are people in this thread who have experienced the exact opposite.
Total nightmare huh? I for one am at about the end of my rope with Apple. 24 years I have supported this company and spent a ridiculous amount of money on their products spanning that time. They are most definitely not "Steve's" Apple anymore. Sadly...

Reactions: claudio7ita

shawndebnath

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
reposting here from https://discussions.apple.com/message/33766089#33766089, to solicit more feedback.

I received my brand new Macbook Pro yesterday and after letting it sleep overnight, I unfortunately ran into the same BridgeOS error when I opened it this morning. Specs: i7/32GB RAM/1TB SSD. No accessories connected via USB or Bluetooth except for USB-C power chord. Computer lid was shut overnight. This is a clean re-install with option command R combo and formatted with APFS (case sensitive, encrypted).

After a bit of digging, I believe in this particular case, the blame falls to AppleSMC. How? If you look at the panic string, you will observe:

"Panicked thread: 0xffffffe0009706e0, backtrace: 0xffffffe016b3b530, tid: 337"
ref: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3#file-gistfile1-txt-L38

tid: 337 in this case refers to thread ID 337. The stack frame right below it is unfortunately undecipherable as I don't have the symbols to match the addresses to function names, however, the full report does list out the processes and associated threads under "processByPid" and "threadById" respectively. You can search for the tid and in my case:

"name": "AppleSMC"
ref: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3#file-gistfile1-txt-L2009

I will try to reset the SMC using the instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 and see if that improves anything. Very curios if others are observing failures with AppleSMC as well. Would help narrow down this issue for sure!

Full panic report: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.