Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
You'd think this would have been fixed already, considering the high priced mac's the T2 is being stuck in, along with the fact in Sept/Oct, it'll probably be in whatever new mac's Apple releases.

d12460n

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2018
It's more of a software-related issue and a replacement may not help in this case. All we can do is to keep our finger crossed and hope Apple will fix it asap.

I also believe that its a software issue. The Kernel Panic bug_type 2010 has happened to the last two MBP 2018 13" that I received. My last day to return this MBP is Tomorrow but this Kernel Panic issue stopped happening in these last 3 days. I disabled Secure Boot and FileVault. Before this, it always reboot at least once a day while I'm using it.

I guess I will settle with this MBP and I hope its not a hardware issue.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Disabling Secure Boot and FileVault isn’t a solution I’d be happy with.

My 13” was rock solid for 16 days and on the 16th it had the Bridge OS kernel panic while sleeping. I’d been doing the same things I’d been doing for the previous 2 weeks. Anyway, I talked to Apple and have a replacement coming on the 23rd. Today is day 22 with the original and I’ve not had another restart since that one on day 16. It’s hard to know what caused it. I’m using the same software and it’s connected to the same LG 4K monitor.

Like many here, I also believe it’s most likely a software thing and hope it’s resolved soon. Best case is that Apple would actually say they’ve fixed it but we know that won’t happen. I guess we’ll get an update and all just be crossing our fingers that it’s the one. That’s a pretty bad feeling after buying a 3000€ laptop.

Reactions: SDColorado

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I have ceased to use bluetooth peripherals and now the computer seems stable connected to a display. All input methods like mouse and keyboards go in through a USB 2.0 to USB-C hub and the crashes seems to have ceased. USB-C to DisplayPort and of course power. I guess if I start using bluetooth peripherals again, I will be suffering again...

@maflynn do you use any bluetooth peripherals? since your computer seems stable and free of the problem.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I have ceased to use bluetooth peripherals and now the computer seems stable connected to a display. All input methods like mouse and keyboards go in through a USB 2.0 to USB-C hub and the crashes seems to have ceased. USB-C to DisplayPort and of course power. I guess if I start using bluetooth peripherals again, I will be suffering again...

@maflynn do you use any bluetooth peripherals? since your computer seems stable and free of the problem.
For the last 11 days, I have used my AirPods and unlocked my Mac multiple times per day with my  Watch and no new crash.
But I don't have any external screen or dock connected , just a drive a few times (but not when it crashed...)

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I haven’t had a crash in quite a few days, but there is little doubt that the machine is not sleeping correctly.

At about 5am, the backlight of both screens came on just as if power nap were enabled, to show me a notification.

MacUser18095

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
Following the suggestion of my Genius friend, installing the Mojave public beta solved the chime issues in both HS and Mojave.
However I now have the 61W power supply recognized as 389w. Only the top left port acts up. Rest of the ports are fine with the original usb-c cables and power adapter.

I have same issue, Only the top left port showing 432w instead of 86W (for 15). I already did SMC & PRAM reset, tried latest beta of Mojave and then did clean install for High Siera, then was on call with apple support but nothing helped. Tomorrow I am going to my local apple store, hopefully they will replace it.

I also gets KP.

Just want to ask if people having KP also have charging/chime issues?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I have same issue, Only the top left port showing 432w instead of 86W (for 15). I already did SMC & PRAM reset, tried latest beta of Mojave and then did clean install for High Siera, then was on call with apple support but nothing helped. Tomorrow I am going to my local apple store, hopefully they will replace it.

I also gets KP.

Where do you see this 432W info ?

Reactions: Hakiroto

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
System Information -> Power under AC Charger Information
Says 87W, will try all the ports to check if I see any difference.

In the meantime I just had Apple calling me from US (I am in Europe so wasn't very much waiting on a call from Apple in the US...)
They asked a lot of questions on the circumstances so I can tell you for sure they are exploring the issue at the moment.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
My MacBook Pro 15 is very stable without any bluetooth peripherals connected to it. When I dropped the Magic Trackpad and only used USB keyboard and mouse, I haven't had a single issue with the computer. Both connected to a display, connected to power or by itself.

Last edited:

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
My MacBook Pro 15 is very stable without any bluetooth peripherals connected to it. When I dropped the Magic Trackpad and only used USB keyboard and mouse, I haven't had a single issue with the computer. Both connected to a display, connected to power or by itself.
I am on the contrary trying to reproduce a KP so ican send them a sysdiagnose file :)
But disabling Bluetooth off is a little like disabling some aspects of PowerNap. Maybe that's why it seems to be more stable.

MacUser18095

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
I am on the contrary trying to reproduce a KP so ican send them a sysdiagnose file :)
But disabling Bluetooth off is a little like disabling some aspects of PowerNap. Maybe that's why it seems to be more stable.

Did you already passed the 14 day return/replacement period?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Did you already passed the 14 day return/replacement period?
Not at the time I called Apple the first time. My replacement unit is already waiting for me to get back from holidays :) Will keep using the first one until I have setup the second anyway.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Not at the time I called Apple the first time. My replacement unit is already waiting for me to get back from holidays :) Will keep using the first one until I have setup the second anyway.

They should be able to extend that period for you as well. My 14-day return ended yesterday, but because it was an advanced exchange on a CTO, they extended the return date to August 28th. I let them know that the replacement was hung up in customs and they said no problem if you need longer to migrate and set up, we can extend the return date again.

Reactions: m-e

ricky1989

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009

I also gets KP.

Since wiping the drive and reinstall High Sierra via internet recovery, I have yet to experience spontaneous KP, have you tried this option?

It was peculiar for the fact that only the top left thunderbolt 3 port shows this weird power rating while rest of the ports are normal displaying 60W of power.

MacUser18095

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
Since wiping the drive and reinstall High Sierra via internet recovery, I have yet to experience spontaneous KP, have you tried this option?

Yes i did wiped and clean installed from internet recovery. No KP yet. But the issue with top left thunderbolt 3 port charging is still there.
As mentioned I am going to apple store tomorrow, the support person told me they might have to swap the machine.
I have custom configuration for macbook pro, that they don't carry at store :( I don't know how that process will work.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yes i did wiped and clean installed from internet recovery. No KP yet. But the issue with top left thunderbolt 3 port charging is still there.
As mentioned I am going to apple store tomorrow, the support person told me they might have to swap the machine.
I have custom configuration for macbook pro, that they don't carry at store :( I don't know how that process will work.

It probably won’t work if my experience is any indication with a CTO machine. The store could not initiate any kind of exchange, since they don’t carry that model. All they were able to do was schedule a call from sales for the next morning and sales arranged the advanced replacement exchange for me.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Actually mine has been the same. Other than the random wake issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.