Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Had my first kernel panic since reinstalling macOS a week ago. Happened while the computer was running.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-14 17:12:26.83 +0000","incident_id":"002B8F5A-E664-485D-89EC-46C7530EFF70"}
{
"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)",
"product" : "iBridge2,4",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul 6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

Bad news.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Had my first kernel panic since reinstalling macOS a week ago. Happened while the computer was running.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-14 17:12:26.83 +0000","incident_id":"002B8F5A-E664-485D-89EC-46C7530EFF70"}
{
"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)",
"product" : "iBridge2,4",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul 6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

Bad news.
Easy mate. PPL in this thread are getting used to it.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
It may be hardware issue with the T2. My first unit was having constant spontaneous reboots and kernel panics even after a clean reinstall. I exchanged it for another unit and I’ve yet to see a crash.

This basically happened to me today. I can't believe how many have this issue.

I'm on a new MBP now, got it exchanged immediately. I pray now it holds. Geez. Can't believe the piss-poor Apple quality control, especially when so many issues plagued late 2016 & 2017 models.

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
Well then you are certainly signed in. On your Mac you can go to system prefs, iCloud, click on account details, and in the drop down there is a tab for devices.

This is more of a curiosity, to see if iCloud knows it’s the same machine, or if it thinks it’s a second one. Keep in mind, every device you have used is in that list if you haven’t removed them.

When I do this check on my new mid-2018 MacBook Pro, the device reports the OS it is currently using.

When I checked just now, while running Mojave Beta, the OS is reported as 10.14. The device is not duplicated for its other OS install.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Easy mate. PPL in this thread are getting used to it.

I don't think anyone here is "getting used to it". More like, many here had more than a single MBP replacement and still got the same issues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
I love the new MBP's but they're a hot mess cluster**** of issues.

- Fix video card issues, oh here's keyboard issues.
- Fix keyboard issues, oh here's throttling issues.
- Fix throttling issues, oh here's some T2/ BridgeOS chip issues.
...and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Einkoro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Canada
I’ve encountering three BridgeOS panics during sleep or resuming from sleep in the first week on my 2018 15”. Both with FileVault on and off.

The more interesting thing I’ve noticed is a very high battery drain during sleep. Easily 20-40% over night. Almost as if it’s regularly waking up while the lid is closed and occasionally panicing during this. I’ve checked pmset -g assertions for anything that might prevent sleep and there is nothing.

Anyone else with the panics noticing unusually high battery drain during sleep?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
On the phone with the support, since I am within the 14 days return policy, they are offering me a replacement unit procedure.
Waiting for another support person to validate this. Not sure this will help, but since I cannot have the replacement procedure after the 14 days and I have a BTO unit, I guess this is the simplest way to have a chance to get a flawless machine, if this is a hardware issue.

Waiting on them now to see how it should go.

EDIT : So Apple was up to their reputation. I can keep my Mac while they send a new unit which is scheduled to be delivered between the 20 and 22nd of August. All I have to do is keep mine as new, receive the new one, set it up and then only send back the actual MacBook Pro.

In the meantime I am updating to the latest Mojave beta so I will see if there is any improvement.
An update in my replacement process. My delivery date moved up from 21st to 16th of August. Unfortunately I won't be there to get it and not sure if I will be able to update the delivery details so another person could accept it for me.

Anyway, I will get it next week since I'm on holidays in the meantime and will report back thereafter on how it goes on my issues (KP and chime sound)
[doublepost=1534277822][/doublepost]Anyone here ever tried EtreCheck ?

I read about it here and here and seems like the shutdown code on at least an iMacPro and a MBPr 2018 is -20 so far.

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
Anyone here ever tried EtreCheck ?

I read about it here and here and seems like the shutdown code on at least an iMacPro and a MBPr 2018 is -20 so far.

Yes, I run EtreCheck. I even bought a license for it for my mid-2012 when I was having fan issues there a couple of months ago.

I am one of the posters in the second link you include from the Apple Discussions forum.

Occasionally, Apple asks for an EtreCheck report. You get 4 or 5 free ones without spending any money.

The code (-20) means that EtreCheck doesn't know what bug type 210 is, probably because it needs to be updated for the T2.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
The screen was always open, and the machine was asleep.
Even so, it's entirely conceivable that in the timespan between you pressing a button to wake it up and the screen coming on it could have fetched that message. Computers are fast these days, and the internet is fast too. Not sure why you're so hung up on this detail.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Even so, it's entirely conceivable that in the timespan between you pressing a button to wake it up and the screen coming on it could have fetched that message. Computers I are fast these days, and the internet is fast too. Not sure why you're so hung up on this detail.

I think you might have misunderstood. I apologize if I wasn't clear in my first post (entirely possible).

1 - My machine was asleep on the desk with the screen open. I never touched the the machine.
2- Power nap is turned off.
3 - The machine woke on it's own to display an imessage, and continued to play "dings" from receiving email while it was supposed to be asleep. I hadn't touched it in over two hours.

I'm not hung up on it, it is just unintended behavior, based on Power Nap being disabled.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
I am seeing "AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.ARPT (Maintenance)" entries in power management logs every few minutes when my macbook pro is put to sleep via menu bar > sleep.

I'm assuming ARPT refers to Airport ie WIFI ?
Doesn't seem normal and I am wonder if its related to the BridgeOS crash.

I have 'Wake from WI-FI network access' disabled.
If I turn off WIFI and then sleep it stops appearing in the log.

To get the output I run this: log show --start 2018-08-14 --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

Can someone who the BridgeOS issue confirm if they see this in their logs ?

I don't seem to have this issue on my macbook air when I check the logs, connected to the same network / router.

Example:
2018-08-14 18:00:23.694499+1000 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.ARPT (Maintenance)

2018-08-14 18:00:23.694500+1000 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.ARPT (Maintenance)

2018-08-14 18:00:38.355241+1000 localhost corespeechd[309]: [com.apple.corespeech:Framework] -[CSHostDaemon _isWakeReasonVoiceTrigger] Wake reason: <private>

2018-08-14 18:00:38.355246+1000 localhost corespeechd[309]: [com.apple.corespeech:Framework] -[CSHostDaemon _getPowerAssertionIfWakenByVoiceTriggerNotFromS3Sleep] Wake reason is not VoiceTrigger or it wake from S0i

2018-08-14 18:00:38.751203+1000 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

2018-08-14 18:00:49.551375+1000 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

I've noticed my MBP doesn't stay asleep (not really) the whole time the lid is closed too. I wrote about it here -> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-mbp-doesnt-fully-sleep.2132515

My MBP wakes up every two hours while the lid is closed. I ran that 'log show' command you provided.
I don't see any Wake reason:EC.ARPT
What I do see is;
localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.RTC (Alarm)

BTW... so far [in the few weeks I've had it so far] my MBP has not experienced any Bridge-OS KP.

Last edited:

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I got my new MBP today, immediately checked for crypto_val, got it

does this mean I will get the kernel panics? Or is it just a possible symptom?

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Neither. As far as I can tell, they are absolutely unrelated...

The crypto_val error is an issue with the initial image laid down by Apple.,.. and wiping the drive/reinstalling macOS fixes the crypto_val errors - certainly based on personal experience and anecdotal evidence (this forum, this thread).

The Bridge OS errors and kernel panics are something associated with the T2 security chip, and the actual cause/solution are unknown at this time.

Personally I had the crypto_val error out of the box, and resolved it with the wipe/reinstall process. I have had zero issues with the Bridge OS issue and zero kernel panics... I am currently on day 18 with my 2018 13" MBP .

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've noticed my MBP doesn't stay asleep (not really) the whole time the lid is closed too. I wrote about it here -> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-mbp-doesnt-fully-sleep.2132515

My MBP wakes up every two hours while the lid is closed. I ran that 'log show' command you provided.
I don't see any Wake reason:EC.ARPT
What I do see is;
localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.RTC (Alarm)

BTW... so far [in the few weeks I've had it so far] my MBP has not experienced any Bridge-OS KP.

Yeah, despite being "asleep" every time I've gotten a Bridge OS panic, the report generated says "running." I also believe something is waking up the computer while it's asleep and causing these panics.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I have had zero issues with the Bridge OS issue and zero kernel panics... I am currently on day 18 with my 2018 13" MBP .

That's good to hear! I got to day 16 on my 13" (i7/16/512). It was rock solid until then but on that day it had the Bridge OS kernel panic while asleep. As mentioned earlier, I have a replacement coming (estimated on August 24). I like to be optimistic but based off what I've seen here, I'm not to hopeful that it won't have any issues. I was told that the new one comes with its own 14 day refund/return period and that can be extended to 30 days. I'll see how I get on.

Having followed all of this thread, if I had to bet I'd go with the issue being software-related. Some people are on their 4th MacBook Pro and it's still happening multiple times per day. Others, however, haven't had one issue since getting theirs. I think it's more likely that something related to their usage and setup that's causing this than it being hardware. Not that it's anyone's fault or anything; it just seems like some people's setup (docks, monitors, external drives, certain monitors, certain cables, or whatever) is the perfect place to reproduce the kernel panic.

I know Mojave is still in beta but multiple versions of the T2 firmware have been released and none of them seem to have fixed it. Also, I find it strange that the crypto_val thing is still around. I guess it's just an issue with the specific build used in the image and that it doesn't cause any problems but it's not not like Apple to have something like that.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I'm not hung up on it, it is just unintended behavior, based on Power Nap being disabled.
Ah, right. Yes, well, I wouldn't be surprised if power nap is not involved at all here, just sleep being wonky as is often the case; personally I've never had a PC or Mac that consistently slept without waking up for indiscernible reasons. Only had 2 macs, plenty PCs though, and they all have woken up when they shouldn't, with no user interaction, and with every feature like "wake on network activity" and so on turned OFF.

In fact yesterday I had my new Macbook sleeping on my desk, I pick it up to put it in my backpack and it is noticably lukewarm to the touch. Why? It shouldn't be. *shrug* Who the hell knows, it just was.

So I speculate that your Mac woke up out of sleep - because of reasons - fetched the iMessage, and then either went back to sleep again or didn't go back to sleep at all, who knows. :)

The crypto_val stuff is unrelated and has no impact on the function of your computer whatsoever from what I can tell; it's purely administrative. It's three version numbers which "should" be there but aren't. It doesn't affect your computer other than showing up in the disk utility report.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.