Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d12460n

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2018
I do not have Time Machine enabled or File Vault turned on. I do have Siri turned on and I use Touch ID all the time. The only thing it is plugged into is the power cord which is unplugged when the computer is sleeping. I used Migration Assistant to transfer everything over from my 2016 computer but I don't have a lot on the computer. I didn't wipe or reinstall the hard drive. I have not had any crashes. I do have the Crypto_Val error. So far this computer has been perfect (knock on wood). I've had it since 7/15. 15", i7, 2.6GHz, 512 stock model.

Thanks. It looks like its not the Time Machine either. After 2 days without crash and Time Machine disabled, the MBP screen freezes and rebooted with the same kernel panic error. Time to decide if I should get another replacement. I just wish Apple can confirm if this is a software or hardware issue.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Well, I have power nap off and left everything else plugged in today and not a single crash. Even my 4k wakes up when the computer does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: eagerwu

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
So, 16 days without a problem with my 13" and then I had my first Bridge OS kernel panic. Since then, I've had an issue with the external monitor just staying black (there are GPU-related issues in the Console) and now, this morning, I'm typing this without anything showing on my Touch Bar. I'm sure a restart will fix it but right now it's totally black in all applications and has been since I woke it. Let's hope the replacement Apple are sending me is better.

Last edited:

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
So has anyone gotten a replacement that is problem-free for sure?
I'm afraid there is no guarantee for this. But the replacement unit for Studio Sanctum in this thread seems to be problem-free, at least for the moment.
I don’t have Siri enabled either and FV is off.
How is it going with your new mbp? Seems that your device has drawn a lot of attention from ppl in this thread.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I'm afraid there is no guarantee for this. But the replacement unit for Studio Sanctum in this thread seems to be problem-free, at least for the moment.

How is it going with your new mbp? Seems that your device has drawn a lot of attention from ppl in this thread.
Still no KPs, but as I state every time, I may not be the best test case as I rarely use it. I am mostly on my iMP. I have a sneaky suspicion that if I used it all the time that I’d see a KP. I don’t know, I hope I’m wrong. There’s definitely something wrong that Apple needs to release a fix for across the board. They can’t expect everyone to update to Mojave when it’s released. I won’t for quite a long time.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Here’s a question for you all:

Unless I’m mistaken, the T2 chip runs all of the lower power tasks, such as audio, encryption, and power nap (checking for emails and such), right?

Well I turned off power nap last night, and when I received an iMessage this morning the screen came on (login screen) , and the message displayed in the upper right corner as it would normally.

Strange that it would wake from sleep to display the message even with power nap turned off, no?

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Still no KPs, but as I state every time, I may not be the best test case as I rarely use it. I am mostly on my iMP. I have a sneaky suspicion that if I used it all the time that I’d see a KP. I don’t know, I hope I’m wrong. There’s definitely something wrong that Apple needs to release a fix for across the board. They can’t expect everyone to update to Mojave when it’s released. I won’t for quite a long time.
Me too. I usually make the upgrade after a few versions. There are alway unexpected bugs at the early ones, especially for MS office.

Reactions: dspdoc

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Me too. I usually make the upgrade after a few versions. There are alway unexpected bugs at the early ones, especially for MS office.
Don’t forget the garbage known as Adobe Creative Cloud! It wasn’t until about 2 months ago that they fixed the GPU issues with the 2016/2017 MacBook Pro(s).

However, for this one I might have to bite the bullet. As I said a moment ago, even with power nap off, my Mac is still receiving messages. Just now when you replied, my machine was (is) asleep and I heard the email alert tone come from it before my iPhone alerted me.

eece

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
Has anyone experienced this on in-stock/standard configurations?

As in NOT build-to-order (BTO) items?

My new theory: this affects BTO models only

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Has anyone experienced this on in-stock/standard configurations?

As in NOT build-to-order (BTO) items?

My new theory: this affects BTO models only
Not me. But yes I happen to know guy who does and his model is a 8/256/i5 mbp.

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am having the bridge OS reboots with a 15 inch i9 32/1T that is less than two weeks old. My experiences with Apple Support to whom I have spoken twice have been dismal. Neither support advisor, including one senior advisor, knew anything about this issue. They had me running Disk Utility and checking my Energy Saver settings. I would like to get the computer replaced, but they want me to send it in and then wait for a replacement. I see that some of you have been able to get a replacement sent first and then return your current computer later. What was the secret?

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am having the bridge OS reboots with a 15 inch i9 32/1T that is less than two weeks old. My experiences with Apple Support to whom I have spoken twice have been dismal. Neither support advisor, including one senior advisor, knew anything about this issue. They had me running Disk Utility and checking my Energy Saver settings. I would like to get the computer replaced, but they want me to send it in and then wait for a replacement. I see that some of you have been able to get a replacement sent first and then return your current computer later. What was the secret?

This is also my concern pursuing any kind of support, I’d also like to know the quickest route to replacement :)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Stay nice, stay calm, but go over the head of whomever tells you that they can’t do it and ask politely to speak to their manager.

The manager will come on (at least in my case) and tell you that they used to offer advanced replacements and don’t anymore, BUT that they can still do it and will do it.

They explained that the first person I talked to doesn’t have that option on their screen, but that they do and they can make it happen and will override.

At least that’s how it went for me.

Edit: Of course I am sure it is at the discretion of the manager you speak with and some may just quote policy too.

Reactions: zargap

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
This is also my concern pursuing any kind of support, I’d also like to know the quickest route to replacement :)

If you don’t have a BTO model, your quickest route to replacement will be an in store exchange if you have a model they carry. Otherwise negotiate. They where originally trying to tell me that I had to send mine in as a return and wait for a refund, which could take 7-10 days from when they received it. But in the end was able to get a advanced exchange done.

Reactions: zargap

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
As said SDColorado, stay calm, even friendly but explain them how this would be a problem for you to be without any Mac at the moment.
I for example was quit far away of any UPS point so I was sincerely not in capacity to send mine back before 10 days... The person I had on the phone had to reach a manager, but got a yes for a replacement without having to send mine back in first.

BTW, Apple Store have i9/32/1T in stock nearly everywhere worldwide for some reason. You may be able to swap it in an AS if you can reach one ;)

Reactions: SDColorado

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
New Mojave Beta our now for developers (Beta 7). Hopefully Public Beta later today do you guys get to test if there is any difference

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
As said SDColorado, stay calm, even friendly but explain them how this would be a problem for you to be without any Mac at the moment.
I for example was quit far away of any UPS point so I was sincerely not in capacity to send mine back before 10 days... The person I had on the phone had to reach a manager, but got a yes for a replacement without having to send mine back in first.

BTW, Apple Store have i9/32/1T in stock nearly everywhere worldwide for some reason. You may be able to swap it in an AS if you can reach one ;)

Thanks for all the answers. My local Apple Store does have the configuration in stock, so thanks for that tip. I'll exchange it there and skip the mailing in hassle. Thanks again to all responders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.