Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
As a data point for those trying to put together patterns, my MBP is one that has not experienced any Bridge OS kernel panics, T2 firmware 15P6703. I had issues getting a migration from old mbp to work, I ended up doing a MacOS recovery the week of July 30 (I got the laptop on July 30), and I am pretty sure what it downloaded was an OS with the supplemental update already included. If I check now, it shows the supplemental update as an update performed when I look at Updates in the Apple store, but it does NOT report that update, like another mbp does, when I look at the MacOS version in About this Mac. (where the supplemental update will show). I can confirm with the utilities that the supplemental update is there and working properly when I loid test the laptop. See images below ... View attachment 775095 View attachment 775096
That's interesting combined with this:
No kernel panics after upgrading to Mojave Public beta then downgrading to High Sierra so far.
@doitdada does this sorta reflect how you downgraded back to High Sierra?

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
No KPs yet still. I don’t use it very much because I also have a iMP, but I am hoping Apple publicly addresses all these issues very soon for us all.
Both your 2018 MBP and your iMac Pro aren't having kernel panics?! Go buy yourself a lottery ticket!
[doublepost=1533771359][/doublepost]
Can I ask, do you use your monitor with the computer closed, open or both and did you use any of the other ports for anything else, especially near the end of that nice uptime streak?
I always use the laptop open as a second screen in extended desktop mode. The only other port being used is the one I have the power plugged into.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
It just says Version 10.13.6 not Version 10.13.6 (Supplemental Update) or whatever the wording was...
So I wiped my hd and reinstalled my OS with the recovery partition, this time not turning on filevault at all, and like @donawalt says, it no longer has (Supplemental Update) by the OS version, which I'm sure I had before too. Woke up this morning and had no issues waking my computer with the dock connected overnight, which is surely too early to call it, but we'll see :)

Reactions: donawalt

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
So I just had a bridge os KP while actively working on the laptop, no devices attached. I am on battery. All previous occurrences were when waking it up. This time I had been working on it for almost an hour already. Weird. It's getting very annoying.

Model Name: Apple T2 chip
Firmware Version: 15P6703

2.9 i9 32GB

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So I just had a bridge os KP while actively working on the laptop, no devices attached. I am on battery. All previous occurrences were when waking it up. This time I had been working on it for almost an hour already. Weird. It's getting very annoying.

Model Name: Apple T2 chip
Firmware Version: 15P6703

2.9 i9 32GB
Please reach out to a senior advisor at Apple and escalate this to engineering.

Reactions: m-e and bigcat

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
It just says Version 10.13.6 not Version 10.13.6 (Supplemental Update) or whatever the wording was...
Strange... if you click on the version number, does it show the build number ?

On my side, I had no KP so far since latest Mojave Beta. I tried to leave it unplugged from anything. Plugged to power. Used it for hours. Left it on sleep for hours (by night mainly obviously)
Nothing...

Pretty much early to say there is something better, but so far on this thread we are only two using the latest Beta or at least to have the latest T2 firmware from the latest Beta.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA

On my side, I had no KP so far since latest Mojave Beta. I tried to leave it unplugged from anything. Plugged to power. Used it for hours. Left it on sleep for hours (by night mainly obviously)
Nothing...

Pretty much early to say there is something better, but so far on this thread we are only two using the latest Beta or at least to have the latest T2 firmware from the latest Beta.

Question(s) for you... what's the build of the T2 BridgeOS in the beta, and have you . tried to take your 2018 back to High Sierra? I want to go with it, but have read of many problems trying to get HS back... not sure if that has been resolved (internet recovery).

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Question(s) for you... what's the build of the T2 BridgeOS in the beta, and have you . tried to take your 2018 back to High Sierra? I want to go with it, but have read of many problems trying to get HS back... not sure if that has been resolved (internet recovery).
See here ;)

Nope for High Sierra and I don't need it to be fair (using iOS beta too and need to have all my devices on the same beta)
But @doitdada didi it and may help you on this matter.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017

Nothing...

If Apple has indeed fixed this in Mojave they are going to have to port this over for High Sierra users who aren’t chomping at the bit to update their OS. I for one like to wait until like .3 before making the jump.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
If Apple has indeed fixed this in Mojave they are going to have to port this over for High Sierra users who aren’t chomping at the bit to update their OS. I for one like to wait until like .3 before making the jump.
How is your new mbp btw? Still no KP so far after the exchange?

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I haven't experienced a KP in a while, but I also have connected anything to the computer other than a power cable.

Reactions: zargap

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
About 24 hours after wipe and reinstall, no KPs despite being hooked up to my dock all day, I've woken it up a few times and opened/closed/unplugged/etc a bunch so we'll see lol. My build number is also 17G2208, can someone whose system info does say (Supplemental Update) or whatever report theirs?

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
My build number is also 17G2208, can someone whose system info does say (Supplemental Update) or whatever report theirs?

Yes - 17G2208. Check in App Store/Updates, you'll probably see the update installed there:
Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 6.54.05 PM.png

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
No kernel panics after upgrading to Mojave Public beta then downgrading to High Sierra so far.
Did you use internet recovery to re-install HS? If so, it’s good to see that Apple finally got the image out there. My biggest concern with tossing beta 6 on mine is the T2 chip and not being able to restore HS should I need to.

Reactions: M.Rizk

bchin

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
doitdada does the T2 chip firmware version also downgrade going from Mojave Public beta to High Sierra ?

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
Anyone doing this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891

to use your main APFS disk to host High Sierra and Mojave at the same time?

Are the new 2018 Macbook Pros supported for this option?

I just enabled this myself after not getting any advice not to try.

I can move between the latest Mojave Public Beta and the latest High Sierra by changing the start up volume.

The T2 Firmware is the one for Mojave now even when I boot using High Sierra: 16P50351c

Running an i9/32GB/2TB SSD.

My latest sleep panic was over a week ago.

Curious to see if I will now see problems emerge.

Last edited:
Reactions: m-e and zargap

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Does it mean that we can finally away with the Bridge OS error when upgrading to Mojave?
Until someone who has a way to trigger this issue tries it, hard to know.

In any case, this doesn't solve my Chime sound issue (lid closed, my Mac makes this sound just like if I just plugged it in power every few minutes most of the time... just like if it was stopping to charge at some point, then starting again, etc... not great for the battery I guess if this is really what's going on.
So I am still going to accept my replacement unit when it arrives...

Reactions: jjs357
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.