Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
With regards to the GPU issues that happened for the 2016 models, what was Apples initial action, i.e. prior to the patch

- Did they capture devices
- Was everyone affected or just a certain number
- Were people exchanging their devices

I would imagine any firm would test their hardware beyond its limits, as for the I9 issue, the only idea behind that would be that they were running a different OS to the ones we have, because surely you would see that it's just not performing as well. Plus how did they even get the stats in the first place, granted their test labs are a nice 20 degrees c, but even then.

The keyboard, is pretty difficult to test over a short period of time, really they should have done more testing on that one, not saying throw crumbs all over the MBP, but something similar.

Our poor lad somewhere up in the thread with his machine breaking down before he plugged in anything, that would be picked up. They must have either tested on a different OS (apples engineers one) or it is genuinely a bad batch. Who knows.

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
I can vouch for windows 10. It's very stable. I am running windows 10 since past 2.5 years and I can remember only one BSOD. It happend because I pulled out my usb Bluetooth adaptor while it was connected to my airpods.

P.S. my laptop is 6 years old. I was thinking of giving MacBook a try. But now I think I will go for the XPS 15.
Thanks for the info, looking at Alienware, I like Dell....

Reactions: Ricky199324

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I can vouch for windows 10. It's very stable. I am running windows 10 since past 2.5 years and I can remember only one BSOD. It happend because I pulled out my usb Bluetooth adaptor while it was connected to my airpods.

P.S. my laptop is 6 years old. I was thinking of giving MacBook a try. But now I think I will go for the XPS 15.

I would vouch for Windows 10 as well. I have had a 2017 Surface Pro for just over a year and it has been rock solid. No crashes, no BSOD, no issues. it has been a really nice device. I still have the XPS 15 and SB2 in the back of my mind if MBP #2 also begins to act up. Maybe even if it doesn't.

Reactions: guillone

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
I would vouch for Windows 10 as well. I have had a 2017 Surface Pro for just over a year and it has been rock solid. No crashes, no BSOD, no issues. it has been a really nice device. I still have the XPS 15 and SB2 in the back of my mind if MBP #2 also begins to act up. Maybe even if it doesn't.

They are both in the back of my mind too. You can expect to fork £3000 on a laptop and experience any issue, they better sweeten the deal when I get back to them on Tuesday. The Dell precision looks pretty tidy too, I reckon I'll hold out till Mojave comes out, ask to have my returns policy to be extended to 30 days and assess end of September.

But then, next is the iPhone, theres no point in hanging onto that either, without the ecosystem the individuals just aren't worth the premium.

Reactions: SDColorado

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
What could potentially alleviate the issues seen (at least waking from standby): https://discussions.apple.com/message/30869802#30869802

I've implemented those changes as described there because according to iStat Menus my Mac would repeatedly wake from sleep at night and not fall back into sleep for hours (if at all).

Again, this is of course merely a workaround which could help minimizing the (dark) sleep/wakes, not an actual fix.

Last edited:

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
What could potentially alleviate the issues seen (at least waking from standby): https://discussions.apple.com/message/30869802#30869802

I've implemented those changes as described there because according to iStat Menus my Mac would repeatedly wake from sleep at night and not fall back into sleep for hours (if at all).

Again, this is of course merely a workaround which could help minimizing the (dark) sleep/wakes, not an actual fix.
Where did you look in iStat menus to know wake / sleep? I just happened to come across a log for it in Console. Would be nice to be able to look directly in iStat menus for it.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Where did you look in iStat menus to know wake / sleep? I just happened to come across a log for it in Console. Would be nice to be able to look directly in iStat menus for it.

Just looking at the timing... and some of this in Terminal:
Code:
pmset -g log

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Ever since the 2018 13mbp came out I’ve been keen to upgrade before school started back up(those extra cores would come in handy)

But reading this thread and the thermal issue has got me skeptical, and now I’m seeing these T2 problems, I’m questioning going through with this purchase all together.

I currently run on a pretty cheap spec 2012mbp, used for school and non-professional video editing (2-3 large projects and another 4-5 smaller projects a year) school starts on September 6, and the countdown has really begun on whether Apple gonna fix this stuff before that deadline.

What do you guys think I should do? Pull the trigger? Go for a nice spec dual core 2015? Just erase the thought of the 3018 completely? Should I dare say it...windows?

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
Ever since the 2018 13mbp came out I’ve been keen to upgrade before school started back up(those extra cores would come in handy)

But reading this thread and the thermal issue has got me skeptical, and now I’m seeing these T2 problems, I’m questioning going through with this purchase all together.

I currently run on a pretty cheap spec 2012mbp, used for school and non-professional video editing (2-3 large projects and another 4-5 smaller projects a year) school starts on September 6, and the countdown has really begun on whether Apple gonna fix this stuff before that deadline.

What do you guys think I should do? Pull the trigger? Go for a nice spec dual core 2015? Just erase the thought of the 3018 completely? Should I dare say it...windows?

Dont buy MBP, wait for MacBook Air and see how powerful it really is. If not, no choice windows I guess. I had the 2016 MBP, sold it and got the 2017 MBP but things got worse. This is literally the worst notebook I ever had, not only because of all the technical problems also the keyboard is so hard to type on (u look over to your colleagues on a Dell notebook and think how comfortable must the typing be) and the touchbar is just useless. I regret that I gave my old MacBook Air away. (This is my personal view).

Reactions: cfdlab and d0nK

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008

I must not be landing on the right place when I click that link. I was curious what the changes were.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
To add some updates - yesterday I turned off the following in energy settings (Power Adapter tab) -

1. Untick - Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.
2. Untick - Put hard disks to sleep when possible.

I HAVE ticked/ON -

Wake for network access and Enable Power Nap.

I have a screen saver to display after 15 minutes of inactivity.

So far I have not encountered any panic or crashing since changing these settings yesterday afternoon. Starting work today has been fine, I'm 3 hours into the workday and no issues.

The downside of Unticking 2 above - putting hard disks to sleep - this will inevitably lessen the life of the drive - is that correct?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The downside of Unticking 2 above - putting hard disks to sleep - this will inevitably lessen the life of the drive - is that correct?

It should really have no effect at all on a computer such as the Macbook Pro if you are using SSD only.

From Apple: "Solid-state drives (SSDs) don’t have moving parts, so this setting doesn’t affect Mac computers that use only SSDs to store data."

Reactions: fullauto

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018

I made the change suggested in that thread.... and voila, I have my first KP. Exactly 30 days after receiving this MBP :-(

Maybe it's coincidence (I doubt it).
There were two KP's;
- one KP three hours after closing the lid, presumably while it was asleep, and going into hibernate (cuz I also set 'pmset -a hibernatemode 25')
- Another KP just as I was opening the lid, and hour after that (so roughly four hours after closing the lid).

I've reverted the change. Will see if it happens again in the morning.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I made the change suggested in that thread.... and voila, I have my first KP. Exactly 30 days after receiving this MBP :-(

Maybe it's coincidence (I doubt it).
There were two KP's;
- one KP three hours after closing the lid, presumably while it was asleep, and going into hibernate (cuz I also set 'pmset -a hibernatemode 25')
- Another KP just as I was opening the lid, and hour after that (so roughly four hours after closing the lid).

I've reverted the change. Will see if it happens again in the morning.

Ah sorry to hear that. I also had my first KP on this today (only difference between now and the other 3 days where I had this fix applied: I had my Thunderbolt-3 Dock plugged in over night as I've been back home).
I'll leave the settings as they are for now to see if this is a more surefire way to reproduce this (in case engineering needs another hint).

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
I had a crash free day - almost. Operation certainly seems better having turned off 'prevent computer from sleeping' and 'put hard disks to sleep'. No major panic or reboot.

I've also been troubleshooting a new Drobo 5N2 that I purchased alongside the MacBook Pro. I found when clicking or dragging files from folders within my Drobo shares to my Mac (or Photoshop/Adobe etc.) resulted in Finder beachballing for 20 seconds, the Finder window closing and my favourited shares/folders pinned to Finder to be deleted (this has happened probably 20 times in the last 10 days with huge frustration in having to recreate favourites).

The crashes in Finder were happening in High Sierra as well as Mojave, and in tandem with the Mac Bridge OS crashes - for this I've been going backwards and forwards with Drobo thinking it's a Drobo thing.

Drobo were unable to see any issues via diagnostics regarding a Finder crash I had today (not full blown kernel panic/restart/Bridge OS error) - the crash again removed all my shortcuts from Finder favourites and disconnected the Drobo momentarily.

Which leads to believe there's nothing wrong with the Drobo and this is all coming from MacOS. I'm not knowledgable on anything Drobo so jump in if this IS a Drobo thing (favourites deleted from Finder).

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I HAVE ticked/ON -

Wake for network access and Enable Power Nap.

No - the computer only ‘half wakes’ per se. That is, it only uses the resources needed to access the network and sync your cloud data; so the full macOS isn’t actually operating.

I check my Console for Power Nap activity, and it works precisely once every 2 hours. Literally, right to the second!

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
No - the computer only ‘half wakes’ per se. That is, it only uses the resources needed to access the network and sync your cloud data; so the full macOS isn’t actually operating.

I check my Console for Power Nap activity, and it works precisely once every 2 hours. Literally, right to the second!
Where did you check this ?

abcdefg12345

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Wonder if bridge os is coded using swift and since not the whole OS wakes up during sleep its probably trying to read a nill value which is causing a crash of the whole system.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Wonder if bridge os is coded using swift and since not the whole OS wakes up during sleep its probably trying to read a nill value which is causing a crash of the whole system.

It's C++/C for the most of the hardware part. You can find and even read the source code by looking up some of the files and their respective lines mentioned in the stack traces.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
They must have either tested on a different OS (apples engineers one) or it is genuinely a bad batch. Who knows.
Often times the engineers will use a developers version of the operating systems that we use, which often will have more tools for testing and development. It's quite possible that there is a difference developers OS vs the publicly used OS, and that difference may have made it to where the "BridgeOS" never came up for the engineering department. I work with other developers in other business areas and it does happen occasionally.

Doesn't make it any easier to digest for those who have the issue of course, all users can do now is wait and hope Apple fixes the issue with an update real soon.

Reactions: Premal212

Trillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Israel
Apple called me and assured me they are working on a solution.
The representative that collects the data was very nice and gathered as much information as he could.
He took all the data that I had (I recorded everything and kept copies of all the system reports and crash logs) and it will be looked over by the engineering team.
What was worrying is that not all the MacBooks are affected so it may come down to faulty hardware in my opinion.
(he didn't know yet what was causing it but said they know for sure it a small number of Macs that have this problem and not all of them).

lets hope we will have good news soon.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
What I find a tad confusing is that if this was an issue that affected 100% of machines you would think it would be a much more prevalent issue....Which may mean that there is a "batch" issue. Yet those of us that have gone through the ringer and done multiple exchanges still are getting the same errors (I have had 3 different machines from separate Apple Stores, that have the same issue).

I only say all this because it then becomes a dilemma as to whether those of us outside of our return policies feel should even bother going through the whole process trying to get our units swapped out. Again, if this is a a software issue that they feel can be patched its one thing, and maybe its ok to wait to see if it's patched. Yet like others have mentioned, I don't want to risk an otherwise "functional" unit for one that has light bleed, or some other array/combination of problems to get a "new" computer that has the same issue as the previous 3.

Sigh....

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
As an amateur following this thread, Im beginning to think that those of us who are casual or light users such as web surfing, e-mail, texting, etc. aren't seeing the problem because we aren't stressing the device. Those who are professional users and are attaching all kinds of equipment are getting the crashes and when they get a replacement the same thing happens because their use hasn't changed. It would be unlikely for the majority to have no problem and a few to be unlucky enough to keep getting multiple machines with the same flaw. Unfortunately that may mean all 2018 MacBook Pros are affected.

Reactions: guillone

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Joining in here ...

I have the 13" 2018 MBP i5/16/512.

I went for a month with no problems ... then I encrypted the disk. I now get bridgeOS crashes ... so far they have only happened immediately after entering my password on a fresh boot. So, possibly something to do with encryption in my case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.