Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
A good VR run through by Nico.

Nice he went slo mo through corners, with drivers perspective.

The Vid is last year mind, so tarmac may have had changes, and other tracker changes etc.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
My Fav Monaco race…

…… bitter sweet though guys!

EDIT:
…Rubbish - blocked!
… ok, 1992 - Mansell Vs Senna.
Grief that’s 30 years ago!

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Watching the helmet cam on LeClec it’s clear how slow Monaco is for a modern F1 car, almost frustrating to see the cars barely get up through the gears before downshifting for the next slow bend.

Monaco is iconic and has its place as a marketing event for the sport, but it’s so outdated in terms of design for the modern age. Racing is usually dull there too.

Reactions: Glideslope

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Watching the helmet cam on LeClec it’s clear how slow Monaco is for a modern F1 car, almost frustrating to see the cars barely get up through the gears before downshifting for the next slow bend.

Monaco is iconic and has its place as a marketing event for the sport, but it’s so outdated in terms of design for the modern age. Racing is usually dull there too.
My favorite race.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well Max must not be happy with Perez spinning at the end of Q3 and ending the session under a Red Flag, keeping him fourth. Though honestly I am not sure he would have improved, anyway, considering his performance.

Interesting that the Ferraris were able to do their best lap after only one warm up lap while everyone else looked like they needed two or even three laps before they recorded their best times...

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Well Max must not be happy with Perez spinning at the end of Q3 and ending the session under a Red Flag, keeping him fourth. Though honestly I am not sure he would have improved, anyway, considering his performance.

Interesting that the Ferraris were able to do their best lap after only one warm up lap while everyone else looked like they needed two or even three laps before they recorded their best times...
He was going to end up 2nd as it looked like , Charles was out of reach with that last lap , amazing that he was able to put it all together on the final lap after being 1-2 tenths back all weekend behind Perez , such a crazy competitor.

Reactions: pachyderm

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Haven’t seen the quali, but read the results. Max will have to work very hard to win this one. Lewis apparently hopes it will rain to save him from more misery? George ahead of him, again. Lando again in a stella position too, he’s getting better and better, just needs more luck and skill to turn it into a podium finish if the car had the pace.

I expect lots of crashes.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Disconcur.

We'll see though. I'd love for LEC to win or SAI or PER. But I feel Max will get through.
Without rain , how is he going to pass anyone ? maybe if somehow he gets to second from the start and then he might be able to overcut via pitstops , otherwise the most likely scenario is he stays 3rd/4th after the start , gets stuck behind Carlos and Charles just builds a gap , ive watched the F2 boys yesterday , its impossible to pass even with smaller nimbler cars.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Haven’t seen the quali, but read the results. Max will have to work very hard to win this one. Lewis apparently hopes it will rain to save him from more misery? George ahead of him, again. Lando again in a stella position too, he’s getting better and better, just needs more luck and skill to turn it into a podium finish if the car had the pace.

I expect lots of crashes.
If no rain then not a lot of crashes would happen , the drivers just dont push around this track as its impossible to get by , unlike qualy the race is really a procedure from a racing perspective , rain is the only thing that will make this race interesting and maybe the start.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Without rain , how is he going to pass anyone ? maybe if somehow he gets to second from the start and then he might be able to overcut via pitstops , otherwise the most likely scenario is he stays 3rd/4th after the start , gets stuck behind Carlos and Charles just builds a gap , ive watched the F2 boys yesterday , its impossible to pass even with smaller nimbler cars.
You're counting out the "quirky, goofy, unpredictability" factors of all Gp's and especially the Monaco GP.

Except for rain, all of the things you listed are a possibility. Plus it is LeClerc and Ferrari. Anything can happen.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
If no rain then not a lot of crashes would happen , the drivers just dont push around this track as its impossible to get by , unlike qualy the race is really a procedure from a racing perspective , rain is the only thing that will make this race interesting and maybe the start.
Are you proud of yourself?

lol

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
This has been a mess

Absolutely.

Race Control should have sent them out on time on at least Inters if not Full Wets and then when the rains started to really fall the cars would have been ready for it.

Now we're in an extended holding pattern for the rain to stop and the track to dry to the point they can run them out on Full Wets / Inters.

Issue now is that the teams are going to want to go from wet weather tires to Hards so they only have to stop once and while the Hards are a medium compound (C3), the track will likely need to be pretty dry before they do the swap so some may start on Inters as they will last longer than Full Wets on a drying track and that will likely not offer the early traction Full Wets will. So how cars on different traction levels trying to pass/defend could cause issues.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Modern F1 drivers cannot drive in the wet?

Senna would be laughing his ass off at modern F1 if his steering column didn't break.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If they had started them with the pouring water, there would have been carnage so I support aborting the start and throwing the Red.

But I do believe they should have started the race on time as then the cars would have been able to deal with that heavy rain when it did start to fall some 10 laps in or they could have thrown the Virtual Safety car for the rain period and then let them loose again.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Drivers are back in their cars and the race is expected to start in a few minutes (an hour late) behind the Safety Car so sounds like a rolling start.

McLaren believes more rain coming so let's see if they can actually get this thing started before that happens.

The Two Hour Clock also started at the top of the hour.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Schumacher's car is in two pieces, but he is okay.

Red Flag to clear the debris and repair the TechPro barrier.

Will likely now be a Timed Race due to the 2 hour limit. Need 28 more laps for full points.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.