Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
RBR with the overcut proved to be the right strategy, elevating Perez to 1st and Max to 3rd and dropping LeClerc to 4th.

Hell of a final 10 minutes - Sainz was clearly faster on the Hards, but like Senna and Mansell in 1991, there is just no place to pass so he had to settle for 2nd.

The top four were in a race by themselves, then Russel on his own well back in 5th, Norris even farther back on his own in 6th, then Alonso, Hamilton and Ocon in their own train in the far distance at 7th, 8th and 9th - though Ocon will drop with a 5 second penalty for colliding with Lewis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil77354

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Very unhappy outcome for Ferrari, seems they made the wrong call re tires vs Red Bull, not as if those choices are obvious. Happy to see Sergio get the win. Charles is livid. At least Max only gets third so the championship lead is not as significantly affected. The track doesn't provide opportunities for passing, makes it tougher for everyone. Alonso holding everyone up for so many laps, it may not have had much real impact but is that how a former champion should be performing?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Congratulations to the RB18 (Honda?) on a double podium.
Ahh I knew I shouldn't have refreshed this page! Just watching it now at the second red flag, Mick did a proper job there! What happens if they hit the spending cap limit with spare parts? Are they allowed to carry in racing with severe penalties?

And what a screw up by Ferrari's strategists. They kinda threw the win away there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marty_Macfly

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Max cost Haas more than Mazepin in damages last season and he’s still crashing. I don’t think he’s quite up to the quality as his father and uncle to be brutally honest. He’s done nothing particularly promising and is clearly a marketing tool at this point.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Well not going to lie, I nodded of a few times during this one. Micks crash was the most excitement. Just a choo choo train race.

But it's been great to see, generally, the four drivers of the two top teams battling.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Max cost Haas more than Mazepin in damages last season and he’s still crashing. I don’t think he’s quite up to the quality as his father and uncle to be brutally honest. He’s done nothing particularly promising and is clearly a marketing tool at this point.

Do you mean Mick? I agree if you do.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Very unhappy outcome for Ferrari, seems they made the wrong call re tires vs Red Bull, not as if those choices are obvious.

IMO, Ferrari did make the right tire choice as by the end Sainz's Hards had a fair bit more grip than Perez's Mediums. It is just that you can't pass in Monaco.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Please let this be the last Monaco Grand Prix. No chance to overtake unless it’s in the pits etc.
Modern F1 has no place being on this tiny tight street circuit.
Well done to Perez. Just as well he had that Ferrari behind him. Otherwise he’d have been asked to pull over for Max.

Amen to that. Really tired of that track and it belongs in the past.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Please let this be the last Monaco Grand Prix. No chance to overtake unless it’s in the pits etc.
Well done to Perez. Just as well he had that Ferrari behind him. Otherwise he’d have been asked to pull over for Max.
You suck and so does West Ham.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Very unhappy outcome for Ferrari, seems they made the wrong call re tires vs Red Bull, not as if those choices are obvious. Happy to see Sergio get the win. Charles is livid. At least Max only gets third so the championship lead is not as significantly affected. The track doesn't provide opportunities for passing, makes it tougher for everyone. Alonso holding everyone up for so many laps, it may not have had much real impact but is that how a former champion should be performing?
They're horrible. LeClerc/Zeppo Marx/Ferrari < Schumacer/Brawn/Ferrari. No way they'll win a title.

Great run from PER.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Could not agree more. Todays cars are simply too constrained. I found the racing a snooze fest.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Ahh I knew I shouldn't have refreshed this page! Just watching it now at the second red flag, Mick did a proper job there! What happens if they hit the spending cap limit with spare parts? Are they allowed to carry in racing with severe penalties?

And what a screw up by Ferrari's strategists. They kinda threw the win away there.

Apologies for the timing. :(

Reactions: Pezimak

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
How did your prediction turn out? At least a RedBull won.

I knew Ferrari/LeClerc would **** it up.

At least I don’t make predictions that are unlikely in the first place. I’m simply quoting you because, fact of the matter, you didn’t predict but acted as if the results were certain, which they usually aren’t.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Monaco has been a procession for years, but it looks pretty and has a long history. It would be sad to see it go, although I suspect it is only a matter of time.

• Sad
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
At least I don’t make predictions that are unlikely in the first place. I’m simply quoting you because, fact of the matter, you didn’t predict but acted as if the results were certain, which they usually aren’t.
eh I was confident that LeClerc wouldn't win. Sue me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.