Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Watched some of the practice, Ferrari out front, RB working on Max’s DRS wing with a Dremell! Sergio very quick. Lewis is 2.5 seconds off the lead!
And the new FIA President is getting seemingly more annoyed with drivers using the F1 platform for virtue signalling, I can see both sides of the coin here, I mean Lando is using the platform to promote mental health awareness, but the new president doesn’t like it, he thinks they should just get on with racing.

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Love to see LEC finish one this weekend.

I just don't think he has the ability. Hope I'm wrong.

At least they can have a go at racing on this track. So we may get a proper battle between the RB and Ferraris. We need LeClerc to win to keep it interesting and close.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I don't buy diecasts anymore, way too pricey, but if I did I'd get one of the Mercedes.
I love the way their body molds over the power unit.

3229.jpg

And then possibly a Sainz, LeClerc, Norris, or Gasly.

I love the AZERBAIJAN GP.
This is one of my favorite races now.

Last edited:

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Exciting qualifying, very good to see LeClerc on pole. The start should be an exciting one with Max right behind Charles.

Such a tight circuit. The one section is so extremely narrow, wow. So many cars are kissing the wall and some incredible car control by all of the top drivers in these qualifying sections.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Charles can pull those laps out of his.... 6th pole this year! Anything can happen at this track though.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Love to see LEC finish one this weekend.

I just don't think he has the ability. Hope I'm wrong.
He has the ability and he showed it when he had the car to do so , he beat Carlos in qualy and races all year long , or you meant that the car wont be good enough to win ? that can be the case , but its not due to his ability !!!

Its like saying max didnt had the ability to beat lewis for 7 years , its obvious that he had the ability but not the car !

I am hoping for Carlos to show up this season , its time he put pressure on Max , and T1 is a perfect place to send it , Max will be cautious and will avoid any contact with Carlos , get a good start and dive the inside , his starts are so bad this season its unreal.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
He has the ability and he showed it when he had the car to do so , he beat Carlos in qualy and races all year long , or you meant that the car wont be good enough to win ? that can be the case , but its not due to his ability !!!

Its like saying max didnt had the ability to beat lewis for 7 years , its obvious that he had the ability but not the car !

I am hoping for Carlos to show up this season , its time he put pressure on Max , and T1 is a perfect place to send it , Max will be cautious and will avoid any contact with Carlos , get a good start and dive the inside , his starts are so bad this season its unreal.
No, I'm saying I believe that the pressure is too much for him now that we expect something from him.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
No, I'm saying I believe that the pressure is too much for him now that we expect something from him.
Based on what , actually interested ,not trying to be rude , the guy delivered in every race this year , Barcelona , the last actual race , he crushed qualy and he raced to an easy win until the engine broke , Monaco was not a real race and they lost it on poor strategy.

To be honest he doesn't have bad races , he is just quick , similar to the best drivers , he has great Saturdays which puts the car in the best place it can be , and then he drives really well in the race , his starts were amazing all year long , the safety car restarts were all (but 1, which he still held to first) were spot on as well.

He never showed that the pressure is getting to him , so I am not sure where this is coming from , you can clearly see Carlos is feeling it and he cant cope when the stakes are high and everyone are tight together , RB and Ferrari are very close.

If anything this season , when he finally has a good car , he drives the best he ever did , the entire season he had 1 mishap when pushing too much in a wet Imola.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Based on what , actually interested ,not trying to be rude , the guy delivered in every race this year , Barcelona , the last actual race , he crushed qualy and he raced to an easy win until the engine broke , Monaco was not a real race and they lost it on poor strategy.

To be honest he doesn't have bad races , he is just quick , similar to the best drivers , he has great Saturdays which puts the car in the best place it can be , and then he drives really well in the race , his starts were amazing all year long , the safety car restarts were all (but 1, which he still held to first) were spot on as well.

He never showed that the pressure is getting to him , so I am not sure where this is coming from , you can clearly see Carlos is feeling it and he cant cope when the stakes are high and everyone are tight together , RB and Ferrari are very close.

If anything this season , when he finally has a good car , he drives the best he ever did , the entire season he had 1 mishap when pushing too much in a wet Imola.
Based on him all season so far and the start of this race...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Ferrari fragility in full form today with factory and customer cars dropping left and right...

Looking more and more like an easy title defense for Max.

I think LeClerc has the goods, but I also think Ferrari might very well have exhausted their early advantage against Red Bull. I believe LeClerc still has poles and wins in him, but he's not going to be WDC this year.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
20 odd seconds between each of the top four. How dull. Ferrari might as well concede now.
Good result for Russell. Another podium. But only because others didn’t finish.

Lewis back was shot. Been there done that. Can’t be fun with all that bouncing. A 20 year olds body is going to be able to deal with that much easier.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
20 odd seconds between each of the top four. How dull. Ferrari might as well concede now.
Good result for Russell. Another podium. But only because others didn’t finish.

Lewis back was shot. Been there done that. Can’t be fun with all that bouncing. A 20 year olds body is going to be able to deal with that much easier.

Some of the footage of him in the paddock shows he’s in a lot of discomfort after the race. He’s not showing his frustration much this year which is admirable but he’s also one of the most experienced drivers on the grid. Toto seems more frustrated but maybe that’s the fear Lewis is looking for new challenges? I hope not but wouldn’t be surprised. He doesn’t seem too bothered that George has adapted to his car better this year, or doesn’t show it. Maybe that’s what happens when you’ve got nothing else to prove?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I would not be surprised if Lewis calls it a career at the end of the season even though he is on contract through the end of 2023. AMG has Nyck de Vries in reserve to replace Lewis if and when he decides to hang up his helmet, so if Toto is worried, it is likely more due to the car/engine than the driver line-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I would not be surprised if Lewis calls it a career at the end of the season even though he is on contract through the end of 2023. AMG has Nyck de Vries in reserve to replace Lewis should if and when he decides to hang up his helmet, so if Toto is worried, it is likely more due to the car/engine than the driver line-up.

Agreed. Toto does not look well. Especially today. The stress must be enormous on him as he is Team Principle and Co-Owner.

IMO, it looks like he has lost close to 20lbs, and has facial signs of emotional distress.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Darn you reliability gremlins! I wanted LeClerc to win to keep it interesting. Now RB are running away with it. Some fantastic driving this race though, and kudos to Mercedes getting 3rd and 4th even if it was with a crap car and because Ferrari were out.
I say crap because Lewis had to be physically helped out of his car as he suffered real back pain due to the porpoising being so bad. Even Toto called it a s***box of a car! Lewis may not race next weekend due to back injuries from the car.

A shame Sergio couldn’t win, he didn’t defend much when Max overtook as his tyres were gone, he pitted soon after Max took the lead.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Toto and the others should have been careful what they wished for. New FIA rules effective from this weekend, cars with the bouncing effect that is over a set level must have a minimum ride height to reduce it to ensure driver safety, the teams who have no problem with bouncing do NOT have to raise their car ride heights. Toto and a few others were pushing for all teams to have minimum ride heights, which would penalise those teams who designed better cars and have no problems. So the FIA made a decision that’s backfired on them, Mercedes needed 10 teams to back a proposal to make it a new rule and they lacked that.
will make for an interesting second half of the season.

Not sure if the link is behind a pay wall?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Ferrari will likely be forced to do so, as well, since they seem to porpoise pretty fierce.

I don't see Active Suspension coming back, but instead the FIA setting a minimum ride height for the 2023 season and beyond.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would imagine the drivers suffering with back pain are relieved at the ruling. The performance is compromised but they were not really in the fight this year. If Ferrari make the height adjustment changes, we could see Red Bull run to the finish this season from now on. A season ruined by poor implementation of design by a number of teams. I don’t think the FIA had much choice on this decision as they are responsible for drivers safety as much as their own employers.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Ferrari looked decent enough in FP1 and FP2 even with Sainz bouncing terribly down the straight. Charles was 2nd and less than a tenth behind Max. Not sure what happened to Checco - 11th in FP3. And well done Seb to finish 4th.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ferrari looked decent enough in FP1 and FP2 even with Sainz bouncing terribly down the straight. Charles was 2nd and less than a tenth behind Max. Not sure what happened to Checco - 11th in FP3. And well done Seb to finish 4th.
But Charles will be taking a 10 place grid penalty. I’m predicting a RBR 1-2 sadly. Probably with another 20 second buffer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.