Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
I know ppl blame management for what happens with Ferrari , but its not Mattia making the calls on the pit wall in regards to startegy , they have race engineers , racing directors , startegy team , and they make those calls , Binotto is there because he wants to be involved with the racing part , but he can do a Toto and just sit in the garage and "listen" to the race unfold.

The blame is on the strategy team and race engineer on Charles side , they are really poor this year , Binotto has his issues but he did turn the ship around and they are winning races with a great car.

Reactions: pachyderm

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Ferrari is a shambles. That they are winning races is mind blowing to me.

That said, I'm very happy for Carlos he and Lando are two of my faves.

Lando is a top top bloke. Always has times for the fans it seems. He and Magnussen are my favourites after the 'team' RB.

Agree on Ferrari, they have a car capable of challenging and beating the RB's but reliability and strategy has failed them. Seems maybe they aren't ready to lead?
I was hoping for a great battle between Ferrari and RB this year, but alas Max is running away with it currently by a country mile.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I know ppl blame management for what happens with Ferrari , but its not Mattia making the calls on the pit wall in regards to startegy , they have race engineers , racing directors , startegy team , and they make those calls , Binotto is there because he wants to be involved with the racing part , but he can do a Toto and just sit in the garage and "listen" to the race unfold.

The blame is on the strategy team and race engineer on Charles side , they are really poor this year , Binotto has his issues but he did turn the ship around and they are winning races with a great car.
I think the team principal should be able to make the call on letting your number one driver overtake the second place guy. If they had I still think they could have got a 1-2.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Some quite audible cheers from the crowd when Lewis crashed. A few of us here did say the Silverstone booing wasn’t unique and Lewis was going to face it at other circuits. The good thing is he tends to drive better when stuff like that happens, so I say long may it continue! :)

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Insane third sector from Max to take pole considering he was slower than his best in the first two.
Charles messed up his second sector really bad (for his level of course) , great qualy ! Mercs are luck to have a sprint race , they can climb back to 5,6 on the grid for the Grand Prix , I like the Max vs Charles battles , I believe they are going to put on a show for us today !!! nothing like fighting at the front !!!
Charles is going to send it , and Max will need to be smart about it , cant wait !!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well not a boring Sprint, to be sure, with Alonso stuck on the grid with his tire-warmers as they headed off on the Formation Lap (he would DNS due to an issue) and Zhou's engine stopping at the end of the Formation Lap requiring him to start from Pit Lane after the field took a second FL.

Fantastic battle between Mick and Lewis for 8th and Perez having a great run from 13th to 5th.

Max just cruised off into the distance, certainly helped by LeClerc and Sainz going at it for the first few laps before settling into 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ferraris failing over themselves to give Max the win. Good to watch them race, but just made the job easy for Max.
Lewis really struggled to pass Schumacher. Not sure if he was carrying some damage from Albon nudge earlier.

I’d also like to lose the sprint racers. Not a fan.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Lewis really struggled to pass Schumacher. Not sure if he was carrying some damage from Albon nudge earlier.

Lewis had better traction out of the slow corners, but Schumacher stayed within DRS detection range of K-Mag (K-Mag was also evidently trying to slow a bit in those areas to let Schumacher get within a second) which allowed Schumacher to employ DRS to negate Lewis' DRS. Once Schumacher lost DRS, Lewis used it to zip past him pretty quickly.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Sergio was on fire yesterday. Excellent driving, yet Lewis was unable to follow, I hope for his sake that was due to damage from his nudge, otherwise he does seem to be doing a Ricardo this year, not melding with the car with his team mate several places ahead, although saying that I’ve no idea how George’s sprint race went as they barely covered him in the coverage I saw.
The Two Ferraris also showed great skill, nearly but not colliding, but their battling ensured Max had an easy win, wasted opportunity for them really.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Well not a boring Sprint, to be sure, with Alonso stuck on the grid with his tire-warmers as they headed off on the Formation Lap (he would DNS due to an issue) and Zhou's engine stopping at the end of the Formation Lap requiring him to start from Pit Lane after the field took a second FL.

Fantastic battle between Mick and Lewis for 8th and Perez having a great run from 13th to 5th.

Max just cruised off into the distance, certainly helped by LeClerc and Sainz going at it for the first few laps before settling into 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

Lol didn’t read your comment yet I posted exactly the same above. Those two Ferrari’s need to sort things out, great to see them race, but not really the time when you are within 3 seconds of the leader and literally giving them the win with your fighting. So they now have Sergio and George right behind them to battle with, they had a chance to put Max into second.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Sergio was on fire yesterday. Excellent driving, yet Lewis was unable to follow, I hope for his sake that was due to damage from his nudge, otherwise he does seem to be doing a Ricardo this year, not melding with the car with his team mate several places ahead, although saying that I’ve no idea how George’s sprint race went as they barely covered him in the coverage I saw.
The Two Ferraris also showed great skill, nearly but not colliding, but their battling ensured Max had an easy win, wasted opportunity for them really.

From Hamilton’s comments I think the car is struggling on the circuit even without damage. That car seems a nightmare to set up. He’s definitely struggled with set up this year more than George but he’s not quite doing a Ricciardo yet as his results this year haven’t been bad considering the struggles. He was dialled in completely at Silverstone and put a lot of the doubters in the shade I think. If I remember back to qualifying in Silverstone the Merc was not as fast as it was come the race so fingers crossed they have an idea what it is.

Reactions: CWallace

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Congratulations to Leclerc. Great drive with the issues at the end.

Ferrari reliability bites Carlos. 😟. Must admit it was a proper PU Detonation though. Glad he was ok.

Good effort by Lewis to P3 given the weekend events.

RBR/Ferrari Battles moves on to Spain…………….

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Congratulations to Leclerc. Great drive with the issues at the end.

Ferrari reliability bites Carlos. 😟. Must admit it was a proper PU Detonation though. Glad he was ok.

Good effort by Lewis to P3 given the weekend events.

RBR/Ferrari Battles moves on to Spain…………….
France

Completely agreed.

I think VER wins if the race goes 2 or 3 more laps.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yeah with the issues LEC had with his throttle it would only have been a matter of time before VER would have caught him.

That being said, Ferrari had better pace than RBR today. For whatever reasons, VER was hard on his tires (especially the Mediums) which allowed Ferrari to stay out longer and have fresher tires in each stint.

Gutted for Sainz because he would have taken VER and it would have been a 1-2.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Just started watching it, but I accidentally read who won earlier. But only 12 laps in and I can see why LeCerc won, his pace is on fire! Glad Russell got penalised for ruining Sergio's race.

Reactions: Glideslope

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’m starting to wonder whether Bernie’s reluctance to opening the sport up online and through reality TV was actually to protect its image. In more than 30 years of watching I have never known so many statements addressing unsporting behaviour amongst those watching. We had scenes at Silverstone last weekend with grown adults fighting with fans of certain drivers and now this week we get yet another statement.

Liberty Media have promoted the sport far beyond the enthusiast passionate about the sport and it’s become a football terrace environment. Just look at the comments on the official F1 page, it’s borderline childish . Pull Drive to Survive now!!

I haven’t watched the race highlights and I’ve seen the result which is enough for me today. Well done Charles on the win!
631dfc8b6985f164e11b0662b7d865bb.jpg

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Bernie's idea of making money in F1 was to make it exclusive and expensive. As such, he favored a small pool of corporate sponsors with deep pockets over increasing the fan base. I don't think Bernie believed F1 needed a large fanbase as long as it had sponsors willing to use F1 as an advertising platform. He saw what fans remained for the sport as a revenue source and that is why he killed all the free-to-air races in favor of expensive pay-TV deals that required fans to subscribe and pay to watch. It is also why F1 eschewed any kind of social media under his watch.

Liberty's idea of making money in F1 is to increase the fanbase to then draw in a wider array of sponsors - the "rising tide lifts all boats" philosophy. Yes, F1 is still on pay-TV here in the US (and elsewhere), but ESPN is orders of magnitude more accessible to the general public than MSNBC was, to say nothing of SPEED/FOX Sports were. And if people subscribe to at least one streaming service, chances are it is Netflix. And Liberty leverages social media to increase F1's reach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.