Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Fixed it for ya...

That’s not my opinion on it at all and never will be. He will always be known for deciding the 2021 World Championship result through his incompetence under pressure and yes I am glad he was replaced. I could never imagine Charlie Whiting doing anything like that when the implications meant a winning driver was stripped of victory on the very last lap. The FIA acknowledged the error, finally, and action was taken. I do find it disturbing when fans were willing to turn a blind eye to the manipulation because they favoured the result. It makes a mockery of the entire sport.

PS: Please don’t alter my posts. I wouldn’t want people reading your quoted text thinking it’s my wording.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
I think it was a harsh punishment to get him fired all together , changing a role would've been much more fair , but I believe there was no way forward with Mercedes and Toto , not only he crumbled under the pressure , and as a Ferrari fan that just enjoyed that season for its intense battles and races , it was clear that he , alone , changed the outcome of the championship for whatever crazy reason he had in his mind during that critical point in time , but then , to reply to the most powerful man in the Paddock with a condescending and dismissive retort - " we went car racing" , I believe that was the nail in the coffin for him , he probably didnt even got a chance to explain himself as the FIA would've gone silent mode , but if he had the chance , he should've say he was wrong , because its so easy to see that he was.

The problem with this all fiasco was that it became Max vs Lewis fan base war , when Max didnt have a hand in it , he just gained from the incompetence of Michael , till this day I cant see how a Max fan can defend the decision , its not like it paints his driver in a bad light or something , he did nothing wrong , there is no right or wrong here , there was a clear mistake , and that's the end of it really.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
That’s not my opinion on it at all and never will be. He will always be known for deciding the 2021 World Championship result through his incompetence under pressure and yes I am glad he was replaced. I could never imagine Charlie Whiting doing anything like that when the implications meant a winning driver was stripped of victory on the very last lap. The FIA acknowledged the error, finally, and action was taken. I do find it disturbing when fans were willing to turn a blind eye to the manipulation because they favoured the result. It makes a mockery of the entire sport.

PS: Please don’t alter my posts. I wouldn’t want people reading your quoted text thinking it’s my wording.
It was joke.

I'll do what I want.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
It didn’t come across like that but it’s always hard to tell with written stuff. My bad if I missed the sarcasm.

I was only being polite with the last request but won’t ask again, don’t worry.
And I really like you. You're one of my faves on here.

I value your posts on here.

So...

Let me do this:

I am very sorry. It was a joke.

I need to remember how much that decision meant to you. ;)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Not sure of the details but the scenes in Austria must have been bad because drivers like Vettel are getting involved and calling for lifetime bans. I’m guessing there was abuse aimed at a certain driver that was heard by drivers and officials within the sport. There’s been mentions of racism in some of the stories but I’m not sure what went on. Very sad all round and I agree they should ban abusive people from circuits just like they do when these same people are banned from football stadiums.

I don’t agree with having three races in the US at all. It seems to be rewarding a country that have never embraced sports that were not homegrown and one race is enough IMO.

Silverstone reminded us why we need proper circuits on the calendar and not temporary car park set ups like Miami. I’d rather see historic tracks returning that have proper investment to make them F1 viable than creating new soulless venues that don’t produce decent racing. Another example of this is Abu Dhabi. How that’s still on the calendar for more than a decade is beyond me.
I used to watch FI races for several years back when Ayrton Senna was alive. I did enjoy the Monaco street races. I wonder if there are F1 sponsors in the US and the middle East?

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I used to watch FI races for several years back when Ayrton Senna was alive. I did enjoy enjoyed the Monaco street races. I wonder if there are F1 sponsors in the US and the middle East?
Monaco has to go for me as a race. Make it a showcase or something, but the races are the worst.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Monaco has to go for me as a race. Make it a showcase or something, but the races are the worst.
Perhaps. But money is the primary reason for having races around the world. Without the people attending the race, plus the ones around the world watching it on TV, F1 could not survive.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
F1 racing has always been the most interesting to me, and GP motorcycle racing second. I do prefer to watch such events on TV because of the numerous video cameras around the track and pit line (don't want to miss anything).

Thank you, Apple fanboy for making this thread possible. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple fanboy

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Perhaps. But money is the primary reason for having races around the world. Without the people attending the race, plus the ones around the world watching it on TV, F1 could not survive.

F1 is built around sponsorship, no sponsorship no team, and the only reason sponsors have their logos everywhere is publicity, so yes no coverage no advertisement exposure no sponsorship.

But some of the tracks are a bit pointless now, Monaco used to be really good in the older days with smaller cars, now they are so big it’s one lovely train going choo choo round the track. Funny thing is though they never have any problems overtaking back markers, only each other for position..

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
F1 is built around sponsorship, no sponsorship no team, and the only reason sponsors have their logos everywhere is publicity, so yes no coverage no advertisement exposure no sponsorship.

But some of the tracks are a bit pointless now, Monaco used to be really good in the older days with smaller cars, now they are so big it’s one lovely train going choo choo round the track. Funny thing is though they never have any problems overtaking back markers, only each other for position..
Well I'm sure the backmarkers are seeing blue flags all over the place.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Well I'm sure the backmarkers are seeing blue flags all over the place.

Some more then others…. Of course getting someone off that racing line or overtaking them whilst they are on it is the tricky part, especially at Monaco. They used to overtake in the tunnel I think in the older days ☹️

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Any predictions for the weekend? I read that RB we’re going to have to modify their floor with a rule change/classification.
Hope that closes up the field a bit if true.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I read that RB we’re going to have to modify their floor with a rule change/classification.

The FIA is looking at RBR and Ferrari because they might be using their skid blocks in such a way to protect the base plate of the floor so they can run their cars lower than the FIA intended.

Of course, if they are looking at RBR and Ferrari they will certainly be looking at all the others teams, as well.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
For some reason Xfinity in my area (Seattle, WA) has the French GP listed as the French GP and not "Formula One" so it did not record FP1 or FP2 and would not have recorded anything else. So those who use DVRs in the USA might want to confirm their recordings are scheduled.

Fortunately, I can watch FP1 and FP2 via ESPN On Demand. Track temps pushing 60 degrees Centigrade / 140 degrees Fahrenheit so tire wear is probably going to be an issue this weekend.

Nyck de Vries replaced Lewis at AMG and Robert Kubica replaced Bottas at Alfa for FP1 to get some time in the car under the FIA directive requiring Reserve Drivers be allowed to run two FP1 sessions during the season.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The FIA is looking at RBR and Ferrari because they might be using their skid blocks in such a way to protect the base plate of the floor so they can run their cars lower than the FIA intended.

Of course, if they are looking at RBR and Ferrari they will certainly be looking at all the others teams, as well.

Right, like the FIA isn’t trying to change the Floor Rules for 2023 to benefit Mercedes as pressure builds. I hope the 5 Teams protesting go nuclear.

The FIA is a joke. Nothing but a political tool for hire. The driver safety is bulls***. Teams that have the “porpoise problem” simply designed a chassis without a competent aerodynamicist.

Next they will measure paint composition on the car for “magical drag reducing molecular bonding for Red and Dark Blue.”

Enough of the excuse making for Mercedes. The W13 needs a clean sheet. Not the FIA looking to remove the advantage of others due to them not having their head up their a**. Just sooo tired of hearing about Mercedes every freakin race.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I remember the 2000s when FIA was said to stand for "Ferrari International Assistance" because they would be accused of tweaking the rules to favor the team. :D

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I remember the 2000s when FIA was said to stand for "Ferrari International Assistance" because they would be accused of tweaking the rules to favor the team. :D

Yup, sorry if my post seemed like a rant. I’m just at my limit with the FIA, Dual Race Directors, and the revolving Race Stewards reinterpretation of what is “racing” every dam race.

Going back to the Mac OS Ventura Thread now………….

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
For some reason Xfinity in my area (Seattle, WA) has the French GP listed as the French GP and not "Formula One" so it did not record FP1 or FP2 and would not have recorded anything else. So those who use DVRs in the USA might want to confirm their recordings are scheduled.

Fortunately, I can watch FP1 and FP2 via ESPN On Demand. Track temps pushing 60 degrees Centigrade / 140 degrees Fahrenheit so tire wear is probably going to be an issue this weekend.

Nyck de Vries replaced Lewis at AMG and Robert Kubica replaced Bottas at Alfa for FP1 to get some time in the car under the FIA directive requiring Reserve Drivers be allowed to run two FP1 sessions during the season.
A bit off topic. I had Xfinity and wasn't happy with their service. Everytime there was a thunderstorm ( I live in Savann, GA and we get them quite frequently in the summer) the cable would go out. Arrrrgh. Then Hargray with their fiber came to my neighborhood. I jumped. So far so good But....they are now no longer supporting tv, just intnet. So I made the jump to YouTube TV. WOW! Where have you been all my life. The channels I watch LIVE and unlimited cloud recording. Now I don't worry about getting up early/late to watch F1, I just set it to record every race AND it records the practices too. Other shows that start a bit late I record too, "The Old Man" and movies too. I kid my wife that "John Wick" is on whenever she wants...wife shakes head. I know that others may have a different experience but mine has been very positive.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

I keep waiting for the, "Session cancelled due to the tarmac ripping up..." due to the heat.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
He's actually going to the back since they evidently swapped some more components. Kevin Magnusson will also start from the back for the same reason.

And Track Limits already impacting Q1.
Is that what the little "P" is beside their times?

I've been watching but with the sound off lol...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
"P" is for Pit Lane (garage).

For example, K-Mag is not going out in Q3 since there is no point so he is parked in the garage and that is why his time has a "P" next to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.