Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
LeClerc on Pole by three-tenths over Max and almost five-tenths over Checco, but with the tire degradation Ferrari was seeing on their Race Simulation runs, I am not sure he will be able to hold that spot over a full race distance especially since RBR has two cars to vary their chase strategies. And Lewis did well with 4th.

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Pretty standard qualifying. I think LeClerc might have got pole even if he didn’t get a tow from his teammate.
Tomorrow will all be about keeping the tyres going. Especially as it’s due to be hotter.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Don't laugh, I believe Sainz has found himself. Love to see him start on the front tomorrow instead from the last row. Oh well. I do believe that LEC will have his hands full with him for the rest of the season.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Don't laugh, I believe Sainz has found himself. Love to see him start on the front tomorrow instead from the last row. Oh well. I do believe that LEC will have his hands full with him for the rest of the season.
Nothing to laugh about , Carlos is a quick driver , beat Lando twice and showed he is quick last year in his first year at Ferrari , beating Charles on pace few times (Charles was quicker over the season).

But , if no more reliability issues , he wont be able to close the gap , in that scenario I expect the team to favor Charles , even if it means giving away wins , they will do it the same RB are doing it , giving Carlos the worst startegy and then asking Carlos to move aside , if they fail to prioritize Charles and Carlos indeed catches up it would be the end of this season for the team.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Rinse repeat with the qualifying. Will the race be like this too? Cracking lap by Charles.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So...

A great race if you are a Max fan as once LeClerc went off, he just cruised to the eventual win.

A great race if you are an AMG fan as Lewis and Russel finish 2nd and 3rd.

A mixed race if you are a Red Bull fan as Max wins easily and Perez is caught asleep at the wheel on the final restart to lose 3rd to Russel.

A terrible race if you are a Ferrari fan as LeClerc goes out at Lap 16 and Sainz is demoted from 3rd to 5th by an absolutely stupid call by Ferrari to pit for new tires with 10 laps to go. Frankly, Sainz was lucky to make it back to 5th from that stop.

Frankly with the way AMG and Ferrari are operating at the moment, I think AMG will be able to overtake Ferrari for 2nd in the WDC well before season's end. And I think LeClerc is vulnerable to losing 2nd to Perez in the WDC.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
ibid ...

Quoting myself from June 11th, or 12th, or so...
Wasn’t there an issue with the throttle rather than a driver error from LeClerc?

Anyway once he’d gone out there was no way Max was going to lose.

Good to see Mercedes getting two drivers on the podium. But if Ferrari had started in the correct position and not had the issue, they’d most likely have been fourth and fifth.

Enjoyed Perez and Russell mixing it up. Highlight of the race for me.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Wasn’t there an issue with the throttle rather than a driver error from LeClerc?

Per Ferrari, LeClerc's comments about the throttle were related to trying to restart the car after he hit the barrier and was unsuccessful.

LeClerc has taken full responsibility for the crash and said the rear tires got away from him in that corner and he could not recover.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Anyway once he’d gone out there was no way Max was going to lose.

Good to see Mercedes getting two drivers on the podium. But if Ferrari had started in the correct position and not had the issue, they’d most likely have been fourth and fifth.

Enjoyed Perez and Russell mixing it up. Highlight of the race for me.
LEC had a throttle issue in Austria as well so when I heard him say that I thought the same thing. Then I saw the interview with him after the race where he said it was his fault. Funny, Nico Rosberg said he shouldn't be so quick to take the blame... #eyeroll

I was really hoping VER would have an issue so HAM could get the win. Ironic, right? Seriously, I have no issue with HAM. I just don't want every race to be predictable.

I predict the the Hungaroring will be perfect for the Mercedes and HAM gets the W.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Per Ferrari, LeClerc's comments about the throttle were related to trying to restart the car after he hit the barrier and was unsuccessful.

LeClerc has taken full responsibility for the crash and said the rear tires got away from him in that corner and he could not recover.
I saw that after I posted. Kudos to him for owning it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
LEC had a throttle issue in Austria as well so when I heard him say that I thought the same thing. Then I saw the interview with him after the race where he said it was his fault. Funny, Nico Rosberg said he shouldn't be so quick to take the blame... #eyeroll

I was really hoping VER would have an issue so HAM could get the win. Ironic, right? Seriously, I have no issue with HAM. I just don't want every race to be predictable.

I predict the the Hungaroring will be perfect for the Mercedes and HAM gets the W.
Agreed. Sadly it’s just as predictable now. Ferrari will impress look strong on Saturday. Yet somehow snatch defeat from the jaws of victory come Sunday.
With a boring Max out in front. Off to his second WC. Hope 2023 is closer.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
🤣😂🤣😂 What are Ferrari doing? Charles stuffs it, then they tell Sainz to pit whilst he is literally wheel to wheel and then he pits anyway with 10 laps left?!
George playing dirty tricks under the safety car and taking moaning lessons off Lewis. Still Perez seemed a bit weak, has the faster car but failed to utilise it.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
So...

A great race if you are a Max fan as once LeClerc went off, he just cruised to the eventual win.

A great race if you are an AMG fan as Lewis and Russel finish 2nd and 3rd.

A mixed race if you are a Red Bull fan as Max wins easily and Perez is caught asleep at the wheel on the final restart to lose 3rd to Russel.

A terrible race if you are a Ferrari fan as LeClerc goes out at Lap 16 and Sainz is demoted from 3rd to 5th by an absolutely stupid call by Ferrari to pit for new tires with 10 laps to go. Frankly, Sainz was lucky to make it back to 5th from that stop.

Frankly with the way AMG and Ferrari are operating at the moment, I think AMG will be able to overtake Ferrari for 2nd in the WDC well before season's end. And I think LeClerc is vulnerable to losing 2nd to Perez in the WDC.

Considering the huge points gap between Ferrari and Mercedes, it would be verging on a miracle if they did overtake Ferrari.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Considering the huge points gap between Ferrari and Mercedes, it would be verging on a miracle if they did overtake Ferrari.

There are 44 points between them with 10 races to go and AMG is scoring consistently with 11 of 12 races with points for both cars whereas Ferrari is 5 of 12 races with points for both cars.

Russel and Lewis have both scored points in 11 of 12 races. LeClerc is 9 for 12 and Sainz is 8 for 12.

To me, the momentum clearly favors AMG at the moment.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
There are 44 points between them with 10 races to go and AMG is scoring consistently with 11 of 12 races with points for both cars whereas Ferrari is 5 of 12 races with points for both cars.

Russel and Lewis have both scored points in 11 of 12 races. LeClerc is 9 for 12 and Sainz is 8 for 12.

To me, the momentum clearly favors AMG at the moment.
It's closer then I thought. Still Mercedes' strategy sometimes isn't any better then Ferrari's anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.