Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
News just in…
a38425665a0739b3d26c06cb6f71933d.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Feyl and pachyderm

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I’d say considering Mercedes’ have been the best team this year in terms of developing their car back to podium finishing positions, we may see a more competitive package by the end of this year and into next. Lewis very nearly won the British GP which is a power track. The Red Bull is faster through the corners and that’s where Mercedes’ are lacking at the moment.

The likes of Max and Lewis are the key elements in their respective teams as a complete package includes a top tier driver and I do hope the Drive to Survive crowd are starting to learn that, although I won’t hold my breath.

So long as they don't cheat yes. But they need to develop the car, not try to have the rules changed to benefit their flawed design...
Anyway we'll see, I can't see them winning many more as Ferrari and RB are quicker and have been all season.

I don't think Lewis will be in it much longer anyway despite what he says. Maybe another couple of years? Still Alonso still going, but Vettel calling it quits, they are beginning to leave.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Watched lap 20-37 live while having breakfast at my convention hotel and watched the whole thing last night via Xfinity Cloud DVR.

Have to agree that Russell's driving is a bit...erratic. My guess he is feeling (likely self-imposed) pressure to perform. I don't believe he is at any risk of being dropped by AMG, but he may be trying to make a case to be promoted to #1 when Lewis retires and his replacement is chosen.

As for Ferrari, having started both cars on Mediums they had to pick a different compound eventually. Having missed the Practices and Qualifying, I do not know what track conditions were like over the weekend that influenced whether Softs could go 30 laps on lower fuel loads. LeClerc was unlucky in that his position put him in real danger of the undercut/overcut from Max and both AMGs considering how they stormed on fresh Mediums. So Ferrari had to bring LeClerc in when they did and if the Softs had shown they would not go the distance, then the team really had no choice but to put LeClerc on Hards even though Alpine had shown they were terrible tires. Because the other option would have been to pit for Softs and then pit a fourth time for Softs again at the end and...well...we saw how well that (did not) work for Sainz in France. As for Sainz, his position allowed him to go deeper on worn Mediums and so he was able to switch to Softs, though they didn't seem to do him much good.

Also surprised Alonso is going to Aston considering Alpine is doing significantly better in the WDC. Alonso's current contract with Alpine runs through the end of this season and I wonder if they were strongly considering not offering Alonso an extension. Alonso was in the media a few months back being quoted that he was not ready to retire yet so when Vettel announced he would, I could see Alonso calling up Lance's dad and offering his services if he was worried Alpine would either drop him or significantly cut their offered salary (his salary for 2022 was USD 5 million less than 2021).

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So long as they don't cheat yes. But they need to develop the car, not try to have the rules changed to benefit their flawed design...
Anyway we'll see, I can't see them winning many more as Ferrari and RB are quicker and have been all season.

I don't think Lewis will be in it much longer anyway despite what he says. Maybe another couple of years? Still Alonso still going, but Vettel calling it quits, they are beginning to leave.

Like all teams do you mean? Red Bull are pretty protective over a floor design right now that will be potentially banned next season and to which teams now are trying to get banned now as it’s deemed a concept exploiting a loophole in the regs. It’s a competitive sport and teams will always try and influence to benefit their season and find loopholes. Mercedes and Red Bull are just bigger than the others and are doing very much what Ferrari used to do during the Todt and Montezemello era.

I think if next years Mercedes’ isn’t a title challenger, Lewis will retire to be honest. I think we are lucky as a sport he stayed this year as I’d have walked away on a high.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Like all teams do you mean? Red Bull are pretty protective over a floor design right now that will be potentially banned next season and to which teams now are trying to get banned now as it’s deemed a concept exploiting a loophole in the regs. It’s a competitive sport and teams will always try and influence to benefit their season and find loopholes. Mercedes and Red Bull are just bigger than the others and are doing very much what Ferrari used to do during the Todt and Montezemello era.

I think if next years Mercedes’ isn’t a title challenger, Lewis will retire to be honest. I think we are lucky as a sport he stayed this year as I’d have walked away on a high.

That’s finding the loopholes, not trying to get rules changed to benefit you whilst handicapping all your competitors, that’s cheating dirty political games in my book.
I suspect Lewis was under the impression they would have a fantastic car and could win again.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It was a fun race yesterday. Max did a fantastic job, loved the recovery from the spin and having to twice battle all the grid. Some good footage on how chatty and friendly he is with the other drivers despite being snubbed by you know who a couple of times.

Ferrari sadly just didn't have another choice, they made the mistake way before the race and now had to deal with it.

Mercedes did well, though not as good as they should have done. But there is some nice consistency appearing there now.

Shame for Lando, I hoped he would do a little better....

Johnny Herbert is just an embarrassment for Sky, can't wait until they get rid of him...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That’s finding the loopholes, not trying to get rules changed to benefit you whilst handicapping all your competitors, that’s cheating dirty political games in my book.
I suspect Lewis was under the impression they would have a fantastic car and could win again.

Glass houses though. Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari all play dirty political games. It’s difficult to criticise it as a fan if you have a competitive interest in another team that is also known for it.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Glass houses though. Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari all play dirty political games. It’s difficult to criticise it as a fan if you have a competitive interest in another team that is also known for it.

Agreed, but it will never end………. Liberty was a Cancer for F1. I said it on day one and stand by it. The Political Dirt will only intensify.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Agreed, but it will never end………. Liberty was a Cancer for F1. I said it on day one and stand by it. The Political Dirt will only intensify.

I definitely think Liberty need to go too. That NDA the FIA have with Masi I am sure is to cover up interference from Liberty. That shambolic Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that gave Verstappen a championship he’d lost was down to someone along with Masi. I’m sure the ratings are the main drive behind spurious decisions in the final races and that has to stop for the integrity of the sport.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Oh dear oh dear, people still going on about that....It just happens in races, heck it nearly happened last weekend, just look at the shock on peoples faces when the car went off towards the end. Lewis would have easily outrun Max as Max had terrible tyres left. **** happens, and when you look at the whole season with was an earned championship not gifted. Damn you sound like Johny Herbert who last weekend also only talked about Ferrari giving it to Red Bull. No comments on how awesome it was to come back from tenth place, not just once but twice'ish, and have a spin that was recovered, and just had a fantastic race.

There is some real talent there, both last season and this one...

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Oh dear oh dear, people still going on about that....It just happens in races, heck it nearly happened last weekend, just look at the shock on peoples faces when the car went off towards the end. Lewis would have easily outrun Max as Max had terrible tyres left. **** happens, and when you look at the whole season with was an earned championship not gifted. Damn you sound like Johny Herbert who last weekend also only talked about Ferrari giving it to Red Bull. No comments on how awesome it was to come back from tenth place, not just once but twice'ish, and have a spin that was recovered, and just had a fantastic race.

My only comment would be Sky needs to give Johny Herbert a stool to stand on during commentary. He reminds me of Samwise Gamgee. He's not as repulsive as Martin Bumble however.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Max didn’t earn the championship at all. He lost enough points in the last races to let Lewis go into it level and then lost the last race quite comprehensively until Masi failed to follow the regulations. Yes i’ll still ‘go on about it’ thanks as it’s still a topic in the F1 news and likely will be for many years to come.

My advice to anybody is don’t watch the Sky coverage and then you don’t have to put up with their moronic presenting team. Sky plays no part in my F1 experience thankfully.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My only comment would be Sky needs to give Johny Herbert a stool to stand on during commentary. He reminds me of Samwise Gamgee. He's not as repulsive as Martin Bumble however.

Johnny is a nasty piece of work in real life away from the cameras though. He might play a Richard Hammond clown style character on some satellite channel, but he’s detestable away from that despite him once being one of the most talented racing drivers Britain has ever created.

Reactions: Glideslope

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Johnny is a nasty piece of work in real life away from the cameras though. He might play a Richard Hammond clown style character on some satellite channel, but he’s detestable away from that despite him once being one of the most talented racing drivers Britain has ever created.
Proof?

I prefer him to Bumble anyday.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Not sure what to make of the Oscar Piastri situation, to be honest. I was listening to "The Backmarkers" podcast after Hungary and they were talking about maybe a swap between Ricciardo and Piastri (with Oscar going to McLaren and Daniel coming to Alpine), but they thought that might be unlikely.

It is presumed Alex Palou signed with McLaren's IndyCar team because it gives him a path to F1 that Chip Ganassi cannot offer. Piastri, on the other hand, is already in an F1 team, if as a Reserve Driver. So unless McLaren intends to cut Ricciardo loose a year early and secretly offered Piastri his seat, I do not know why Piastri would say he does not intend to drive for Alpine because where else would he go?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Max didn’t earn the championship at all. He lost enough points in the last races to let Lewis go into it level and then lost the last race quite comprehensively until Masi failed to follow the regulations. Yes i’ll still ‘go on about it’ thanks as it’s still a topic in the F1 news and likely will be for many years to come.

My advice to anybody is don’t watch the Sky coverage and then you don’t have to put up with their moronic presenting team. Sky plays no part in my F1 experience thankfully.
Nope mainly the divisive British press keeps bring it up, together with a number news rehash clickbait F1 outlets. The same with the other campaigns. Quite pathetic of all involved. But it seems a trade mark as they don't do that exclusively for F1 but on many topics. You seem to fall for it big time.

Unfortunately in the UK Sky plays a huge part in F1 if you want to watch it in full UHD. I wish I could go to all races in person but sadly that is not a possibility at the moment.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Nope mainly the divisive British press keeps bring it up, together with a number news rehash clickbait F1 outlets. The same with the other campaigns. Quite pathetic of all involved. But it seems a trade mark as they don't do that exclusively for F1 but on many topics. You seem to fall for it big time.

Unfortunately in the UK Sky plays a huge part in F1 if you want to watch it in full UHD. I wish I could go to all races in person but sadly that is not a possibility at the moment.

I’m in the UK and too busy for live races and channel 4 is the major part for many who dumped Sky years ago. Not at all interested in their presenters or naff format to be honest.

I’ll bring up Abu Dhabi 2021 whenever I like though, and when it’s a topic on Autosport or F1 like it was the other day, i’ll mention it here. It was a shambolic episode and I know some who liked the outcome want it to go away but tough.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not sure what to make of the Oscar Piastri situation, to be honest. I was listening to "The Backmarkers" podcast after Hungary and they were talking about maybe a swap between Ricciardo and Piastri (with Oscar going to McLaren and Daniel coming to Alpine), but they thought that might be unlikely.

It is presumed Alex Palou signed with McLaren's IndyCar team because it gives him a path to F1 that Chip Ganassi cannot offer. Piastri, on the other hand, is already in an F1 team, if as a Reserve Driver. So unless McLaren intends to cut Ricciardo loose a year early and secretly offered Piastri his seat, I do not know why Piastri would say he does not intend to drive for Alpine because where else would he go?

Let’s hope he has a seat secured elsewhere as he’s certainly never going to get the chance again at Alpine. His only other option is McLaren but that would involve releasing Daniel early. Strange chain of events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.