Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I’m in the UK and too busy for live races and channel 4 is the major part for many who dumped Sky years ago. Not at all interested in their presenters or naff format to be honest.

I’ll bring up Abu Dhabi 2021 whenever I like though, and when it’s a topic on Autosport or F1 like it was the other day, i’ll mention it here. It was a shambolic episode and I know some who liked the outcome want it to go away but tough.
A. You're much happier when you don't.
B. I was the same way about Australia '94 for a long time...

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Nope mainly the divisive British press keeps bring it up, together with a number news rehash clickbait F1 outlets. The same with the other campaigns. Quite pathetic of all involved. But it seems a trade mark as they don't do that exclusively for F1 but on many topics. You seem to fall for it big time.

Unfortunately in the UK Sky plays a huge part in F1 if you want to watch it in full UHD. I wish I could go to all races in person but sadly that is not a possibility at the moment.

I don’t know how you can blame that utter farce on Sky Sports. That was a situation no sport should ever work itself in to.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Let’s hope he has a seat secured elsewhere as he’s certainly never going to get the chance again at Alpine. His only other option is McLaren but that would involve releasing Daniel early. Strange chain of events.

Just a theory in my head but maybe he’s signed for Alpha Tauri and if Perez continues his current average form he’s been promised a shot at the big time.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just a theory in my head but maybe he’s signed for Alpha Tauri and if Perez continues his current average form he’s been promised a shot at the big time.

Pérez is third in the WDC and only five points behind LeClerc for second.

If that is an "average" drive, I guess nobody but Max is actually trying this year. :p

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
My advice to anybody is don’t watch the Sky coverage and then you don’t have to put up with their moronic presenting team. Sky plays no part in my F1 experience thankfully.

Well here in the US it is Sky (via ESPN) or the F1 TV app (which I might switch to next year since the only time I turn on ESPN is for F1).

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Pérez is third in the WDC and only five points behind LeClerc for second.

If that is an "average" drive, I guess nobody but Max is actually trying this year. :p

You don’t think he tailed off massively in the second quarter of the season? At Monaco people were half taking about him being in the hunt for the title.
He’s had one more podium than George Russell whilst being in the best car (not fastest) of the season.
Red bull are the only team in it this season Mercedes had major issues and Ferrari are a joke of a team currently.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
You don’t think he tailed off massively in the second quarter of the season? At Monaco people were half taking about him being in the hunt for the title.
He’s had one more podium than George Russell whilst being in the best car (not fastest) of the season.

While it is true Sergio has scored around half the points since Monaco, the two DNFs he had (GBR and AUT) certainly cost him a significant number of possible points. He's also done some brilliant defensive drives to support Max and that has to count for something within the team.

Russell has done exceptionally well, but a number of his strong finishes have been due to one or both of the RBRs and/or Ferraris suffering DNFs which has allowed him to advance farther up the field.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I don’t know how you can blame that utter farce on Sky Sports. That was a situation no sport should ever work itself in to.
I didn't, perhaps try and read it again.

Current actions by living in the past, by Johnny Herbert with his snide remarks, yes definitely. The bias is so strong it is just sad to watch...I'd hate to be like them...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Nope, not like Mercedes do. IMO.

Let’s agree to disagree. I’ve seen Red Bulls politics with Horners games for the past 12 years and remember the Vettel era very well. The flexi wing and the lobbying Horner did is just the same as any other team who has tried to influence the regs in their favour. Mercedes are a bigger brand and are perhaps disliked more for it just like Ferrari, but all the top teams are guilty of playing dirty politics. I won’t be a hypocrite as I accept it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I think people who were pleased Verstappen won are happy to overlook the corruption sadly but we all know they would still be talking about it if the tables had been turned and it was Lewis that was switched for the lead by the governing body. It was only 8 months ago. No fan should be happy to see interference like that in such a decisive race. It’s not about who won what but how it was decided. I keep hearing it being justified by casuals saying ‘but he won more races or lead more laps so deserved to be given the title’. It doesn’t work like that, the winner gets the most championship points and does so within the rules of the sport.

Verstappen had lost a big lead to Lewis in those last 5 races and had ended up in a one race decider. He lost the first corner to Lewis and it looked like he had been comprehensively beaten for the entire race until the FIA and Liberty media failed to implement the correct procedure which has since been admitted officially. It’s not something that will just brushed away and never talked about again. If anybody reads my thoughts and thinks it’s boring and they don’t want to discuss it, I urge you to hide my posts please.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
While it is true Sergio has scored around half the points since Monaco, the two DNFs he had (GBR and AUT) certainly cost him a significant number of possible points. He's also done some brilliant defensive drives to support Max and that has to count for something within the team.

Russell has done exceptionally well, but a number of his strong finishes have been due to one or both of the RBRs and/or Ferraris suffering DNFs which has allowed him to advance farther up the field.

I definitely think Sergio has driven well this year and am surprised to see Red Bull fans suggesting he be swapped. Then again that is the recent philosophy of that team after a few results that aren’t as strong. Russell’s early finishes along with Hamilton’s were good but I agree based on others not finishing the race like Max and Sergio. I think this unsettled driver market is pushing people to think good drivers need to be binned in favour of rookies looking for their chance.

Red Bull should know as well as anybody that their team culture has put a few good drivers like Vettel, Ricciardo, Gasly and Albon on the back foot but these drivers have all had to move on for the sake of their careers, whether it turned out right or wrong.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think people who were pleased Verstappen won are happy to overlook the corruption sadly but we all know they would still be talking about it if the tables had been turned and it was Lewis that was switched for the lead by the governing body. It was only 8 months ago. No fan should be happy to see interference like that in such a decisive race. It’s not about who won what but how it was decided. I keep hearing it being justified by casuals saying ‘but he won more races or lead more laps so deserved to be given the title’. It doesn’t work like that, the winner gets the most championship points and does so within the rules of the sport.

Verstappen had lost a big lead to Lewis in those last 5 races and had ended up in a one race decider. He lost the first corner to Lewis and it looked like he had been comprehensively beaten for the entire race until the FIA and Liberty media failed to implement the correct procedure which has since been admitted officially. It’s not something that will just brushed away and never talked about again. If anybody reads my thoughts and thinks it’s boring and they don’t want to discuss it, I urge you to hide my posts please.
Couldn’t agree more.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

Oh dear oh dear the choice of you words just says it all....

the corruption...That is a strong word, typically involves bribery as well...
suggesting it is just verstappen fans and that would still be talking about it...Totally baseless made up statement
No fan should be happy...That is projection that your view is the only view...
I keep hearing it being justified by casuals...By casuals? Seriously, again some serious projection going on here that your opinion is some kind of super opinion and anyone who doesn't align with that is a casual...What is a casual?

And so on...Entirely your choice but come on dude you are as biased as they come, just reflect on how you write....

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just trying to lighten the mood. ;)

Totally light with me mate, just won’t be told I shouldn’t discuss a topic still very much relevant with the sport and one that divides opinion so broadly. It goes back to my frustration that Liberty have attracted people who only care about controversy and entertainment and are happy with political intervention if it supports a driver they prefer.

All cool with me though, nobody has to respond if they don’t want to

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

i don’t believe it was corruption just sheer incompetence.
I felt as sorry for max as anyone in it all. He deserved to win the title just not in that manor. That season will always have an * next to it in my mind.
I’m kind of glad he’s going to win this year so he’s won one with no question marks around it.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I didn't, perhaps try and read it again.

Current actions by living in the past, by Johnny Herbert with his snide remarks, yes definitely. The bias is so strong it is just sad to watch...I'd hate to be like them...

What snide remarks?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I felt as sorry for max as anyone in it all. He deserved to win the title just not in that manor. That season will always have an * next to it in my mind.
I’m kind of glad he’s going to win this year so he’s won one with no question marks around it.

When I said corruption I was referring to the rumoured interference by the promoter (Liberty Media) calling the shots with the way rules are delivered. Since Masi has gone we haven’t heard the race director(s) negotiating with Red Bull what type of penalty they want which was another rather bizarre instance last year. It was clear there was a breach in the process last season and he had to go.

In other news it looks like Danny Ric has lost his seat at McLaren. Maybe he will be going back to Alpine with his tail between his legs. A very strange way for a once top driver to go. Poor decision after poor decision but also a performance dip thrown in. Another option is for him to quit F1 altogether and move to Formula E. I’d imagine this will all come out in the next week.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I felt as sorry for max as anyone in it all. He deserved to win the title just not in that manor.
Not sure why he deserved to win over anybody else last year. He was very aggressive all season and forced Lewis off the circuit at 5 races, even after he was sent into the barrier ms at Silverstone after being told that Lewis wasn’t going to keep yielding to his unsporting driving. He won the most races, lead the most laps but that doesn’t mean he deserved to win the championship, although the new breed of fans seem to think that qualifies. It’s about momentum and scoring the most points throughout the entire season. By Abu Dhabi he had lost a big points lead to Lewis and the last race was all to play for. As it happened Max lost the lead at the first corner of the opening lap and was lost in the race behind Lewis until the incompetence of the FIA following their own rule book.

I’d say this season he is driving well and deserves to be leading the championship. I thought his mentality was poor last year and perhaps that was desperation in trying to win. This year he’s often relaxed, sometimes emotional on the radio, but driving more consistently. I agree he’ll be winning his first championship on merit if he carries on the way he is now.

• Haha
Reactions: Pezimak and ericwn

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As for Ricciardo, I wonder if he was just overrated as a driver when he came into the sport. I am in no way saying he is a bad driver, but like Romain Grosjean, Ralph Schumacher, Robert Kubica and others when he joined the sport he was heralded as "a World Champion in the making" and yet never rose to that level of performance (as in his best WDC finish was 3rd and often was fairly lower). He's clearly a hell of a nice guy with a very positive outlook and that clearly made him a favorite with all of us fans. But I wonder if teams signed him up with the expectation he would be the "next Alonso" and he just wasn't.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As for Ricciardo, I wonder if he was just overrated as a driver when he came into the sport. I am in no way saying he is a bad driver, but like Romain Grosjean, Ralph Schumacher, Robert Kubica and others when he joined the sport he was heralded as "a World Champion in the making" and yet never rose to that level of performance (as in his best WDC finish was 3rd and often was fairly lower). He's clearly a hell of a nice guy with a very positive outlook and that clearly made him a favorite with all of us fans. But I wonder if teams signed him up with the expectation he would be the "next Alonso" and he just wasn't.

We’ve never seen him in a consistent capacity so looking back I am of the opinion he’s a good driver and a race winner if the car is really good. If he’s in a position where he has to dig deep, he’s not so good. He also isn’t a development driver as he has jumped ship when the car isn’t a winner or a teammate looks a bit tough. He should have really gone into McLaren and dominated Lando with his experience and should be a bit more dominant in his personality. There’s a reason the likes of Lewis, Alonso, Schumacher etc have been clear team leaders and that’s because they have the arrogance to exert authority over their teammates when the competition is high.

I think these last 2 years have damaged Ricciardo’s appeal and I can see him struggling for a drive in 2023. He will get a hefty payout and maybe McLaren will not want him going to another team while his contract term is still valid. Remember Ferrari/ Santander paying Kimi to stay away in 2010 as part of his severance package? We will see with Ricciardo but right now he’s not a massive threat in another team, or at least those that might have available seats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.