Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Spa this weekend. I can hardly wait. This summer break always feels soooo long. Hope the changes to the floor RBR have had to make will put them behind Ferrari and Mercedes’. Then there is a chance for an interesting end to the WC.

• Haha
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Spa this weekend. I can hardly wait. This summer break always feels soooo long. Hope the changes to the floor RBR have had to make will put them behind Ferrari and Mercedes’. Then there is a chance for an interesting end to the WC.

George Russell has been getting a lot of flack for agreeing with the changes, like he’s not a competitive racing driver who is interested in his own gains lol.

I hope it’s mixed it up a bit and given the season a better outlook. I don’t mind who wins but it would be nice to see it close at the end and not sewn up with a few races to go.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hopefully with Russia now out for the duration, this will take the Spa off the chopping block.

As an American I am happy to see more races in the States, but I am not sure we need three (even though the EU has so many in a similar geographic area). COTA has to stay, IMO, because it is a real track. But I think we only need one "glitterati track" for the sponsors and considering Miami and Las Vegas are both about equally distant from Austin, whichever one does better in 2023 should be the one that is kept and the other dropped if necessary to protect tracks like Spa.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hopefully with Russia now out for the duration, this will take the Spa off the chopping block.

As an American I am happy to see more races in the States, but I am not sure we need three (even though the EU has so many in a similar geographic area). COTA has to stay, IMO, because it is a real track. But I think we only need one "glitterati track" for the sponsors and considering Miami and Las Vegas are both about equally distant from Austin, whichever one does better in 2023 should be the one that is kept and the other dropped if necessary to protect tracks like Spa.
Happy to drop Miami. Be very happy to keep Spa though.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I think the vast majority of F1 fans would be happy to see Miami never return after the feedback this year. I’d happily keep COTA as the only US race as it is a decent circuit and not a marketing stunt.
100% Spot on.

WgvGNSt.png

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think the vast majority of F1 fans would be happy to see Miami never return after the feedback this year. I’d happily keep COTA as the only US race as it is a decent circuit and not a marketing stunt.

Since the 2000s, upwards of half the calendar each year has been "marketing stunts" when you consider how many countries bought a Grand Prix for "advertising prestige" reasons including China, Russia, India, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Turkey, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Azerbaijan and South Africa (though that was the early 1990s).

Monaco has been a marketing stunt since 1950 and F1 has also had multiple races in the same country during a season purely to cash in on a super-popular driver or team's ability to pack the stands (including Imola, Hockenheimring and Brands Hatch).

F1 is finally finding real success in the US after decades of trying so not surprised they're taking advantage of it by giving us more Grands Prix for a time considering the history of the sport over the past thirty years. I mean it is unlikely we will have two, much less three, Grands Prix for more than a handful of years, anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Since the 2000s, upwards of half the calendar each year has been "marketing stunts" when you consider how many countries bought a Grand Prix for "advertising prestige" reasons including China, Russia, India, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Turkey, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Azerbaijan and South Africa (though that was the early 1990s).

Monaco has been a marketing stunt since 1950 and F1 has also had multiple races in the same country during a season purely to cash in on a super-popular driver or team's ability to pack the stands (including Imola, Hockenheimring and Brands Hatch).

F1 is finally finding real success in the US after decades of trying so not surprised they're taking advantage of it by giving us more Grands Prix for a time considering the history of the sport over the past thirty years. I mean it is unlikely we will have two, much less three, Grands Prix for more than a handful of years, anyway.

I don’t disagree with you in terms of countries buying races. Some tracks better than others and some didn’t last more than a few years. I also understand you’d be more excited about US races than some of us, that’s natural.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I certainly do not want to lose "real" tracks like Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Suzuka. Regardless of the commercial appeal and realities of Formula One as a sport and an enterprise, it cannot be considered a true "World Championship" if all the races are held on temporary street courses in wealthy nations willing to spend scores of millions of dollars to secure said race.

But I do accept that there are commercial realities to Formula One since the 1970s and those have only grown over the years. And it is not just FOM, but the (factory) teams themselves that drive these realities because competing in the sport became insanely expensive during the years where the factories were effectively unregulated on what they could spend and they needed eight and even nine figures worth of sponsorship income to cover their budgets.

My hope is that we can see a bit of a "re-balancing" through both the limiting of how much teams can spend, but also hopefully a reflection of the importance of certain historical tracks when it comes to negotiating their sanctioning fees. If you can have tracks like Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia willing to spend scores of millions a year to host an event, how about giving a break to Silverstone, Monza and Spa? (Provided they continue to invest in upkeeping their tracks, all of whom have very much stepped up to the plate to do so when asked.)

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I'm looking forward to Sunday...I'm at Silverstone in the morning for the classic, and watch the F1 on TV in the afternoon. Should be a good day...

Go Max and Red Bull...

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much 😂

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Audi has announced that they will be entering Formula One in 2026. They have not yet decided if they will be a PSU supplier or if they will take over an existing team (if the latter, Sauber is believed to be the most-likely candidate).

Porsche is expected to announce their PSU partnership with Red Bull Racing and Alpha Tauri in the week after Spa.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much 😂

About six drivers starting at the back with penalties. Including Max and Charles. Could it be a Mercedes’ weekend?
And that is what I like about F1. Could be a very interesting weekend. How wrong was I 😂

It’s a bit like RBR and Ferrari are saying we are giving you this one Toto. Go on take the win. 🤞

• Haha
Reactions: Glideslope

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
F1's Contract Recognition Board will meet next week to review Piastri's contracts with Alpine and McLaren with their decision effectively determining which team he can race for as the FIA will issue his 2023 superlicense in the name of said team.

And could there be movement for Ricciardo to Alpine if the CRB decides McLaren should have Piastri? Alpine Team Principal Otmar Szafnauer was seen in McLaren's Hospitality Center during P2 and Ricciardo has said he would be willing to return to the French outfit.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'd prefer the FIA would increase the component allocation a bit because it seems too conservative at the moment with teams going through their season allotment before half-distance.

On the flip side, when to take penalties is now part of the overall strategy which does spice things up a bit.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
About six drivers starting at the back with penalties. Including Max and Charles. Could it be a Mercedes’ weekend?

it's going to be amazing. sainz, checo & the Mercs up front while we have leclerc, max and norris clawing up to the front from behind the grid. I am so ready.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I'd prefer the FIA would increase the component allocation a bit because it seems too conservative at the moment with teams going through their season allotment before half-distance.

On the flip side, when to take penalties is now part of the overall strategy which does spice things up a bit.

they are definitely going to have to make some change to the component allocation penalties though, especially since they are increasing the number of races next year afaik.

as much as i love the off-track strategy bits, at the end of the day, i don't want it to intervene too much with the actual on-track racing.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Audi has announced that they will be entering Formula One in 2026. They have not yet decided if they will be a PSU supplier or if they will take over an existing team (if the latter, Sauber is believed to be the most-likely candidate).

Porsche is expected to announce their PSU partnership with Red Bull Racing and Alpha Tauri in the week after Spa.
Both Audi and Porsche in F1?! It seems to me that would be remarkable that both join at the same time, given that both are part of the same corporate family. Still, I recall with great fondness the days of TAG-Porsche powered McLaren MP4/2 and the fights between Niki Lauda and Alain Prost! Did Senna ever race with the TAG-Porsche engine, I don't recall? Something to look forward to, for sure!

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Both Audi and Porsche in F1?! It seems to me that would be remarkable that both join at the same time, given that both are part of the same corporate family.

Based on what Audi mentioned during their press briefing, it sounds like the Porsche engine is designed specifically for Red Bull and Alpha Tauri and therefore Audi's engine will be designed for the chassis they will be powering. Trying to pool resources into a more "common" engine would have resulted in compromises neither wanted to encounter.

Audi has also announced they have cancelled their planned LMDh program for WEC and IMSA due to entering F1.

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.