Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Based on what Audi mentioned during their press briefing, it sounds like the Porsche engine is designed specifically for Red Bull and Alpha Tauri and therefore Audi's engine will be designed for the chassis they will be powering. Trying to pool resources into a more "common" engine would have resulted in compromises neither wanted to encounter.

Audi has also announced they have cancelled their planned LMDh program for WEC and IMSA due to entering F1.

It's unfortunate they have canceled LMDh. I for one was looking forward to their entry into that class tremendously. However, I can see their reasoning for it. Can't enter F1 with only 1/2 a St. Pauli Girl.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Both Audi and Porsche in F1?! It seems to me that would be remarkable that both join at the same time, given that both are part of the same corporate family. Still, I recall with great fondness the days of TAG-Porsche powered McLaren MP4/2 and the fights between Niki Lauda and Alain Prost! Did Senna ever race with the TAG-Porsche engine, I don't recall? Something to look forward to, for sure!
We need Peugeot to come back too!

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Ditto to that! If at least one of the Audi / Porsche engines proves to be competitive, then we could see some good years ahead.

That said, i know there have been plenty of examples of these kinds of great expectations, and actually producing a fully competitive powerpoint is no simple task. Anyone remember Porsche's entry into IndyCar?

Reactions: pachyderm

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Why do you need them to come back?

Their previous venture as engine builder wasn't particularly successful, and as a brand they produce rather mundane cars for mr/mrs average. Nothing aspiring/inspiring about what they do.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Why do you need them to come back?

Their previous venture as engine builder wasn't particularly successful, and as a brand they produce rather mundane cars for mr/mrs average. Nothing aspiring/inspiring about what they do.
I guess I like having a lot of different engine suppliers. I also like seeing different teams chassis design. The more the merrier?

I didn't say they would be good at it. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Ditto to that! If at least one of the Audi / Porsche engines proves to be competitive, then we could see some good years ahead.

That said, i know there have been plenty of examples of these kinds of great expectations, and actually producing a fully competitive powerpoint is no simple task. Anyone remember Porsche's entry into IndyCar?
yes :p

Reactions: Phil77354

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I guess I like having a lot of different engine suppliers. I also like seeing different teams chassis design. The more the merrier?

I didn't say they would be good at it. lol.
They had a decent reputation in LLM and won in 2009, not to mention their success in rallying. Their engines were decent in the early 90’s powering Jordan, although McLaren struggled briefly using their power plants. Peugeot can certainly afford the investment if they wanted to come back, but I can’t see F1 being a focus as they don’t really need it. They make some of t he nicest looking cars on European roads at the moment and seem to be winning a lot of awards for their design in the last couple of years.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Q1 start delayed till half-past the hour due to ongoing track repairs from an earlier Porsche SuperCup crash.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Sainz comprehensively stuffed that final lap, yet somehow pulled it out to start on pole post-penalties. Albon will start 6th post-penalties after making it into Q3.

HAM and RUS didn't look good at all, but they should end up okay since they benefit from all the people going to the back at the start.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yes I agree Hamilton and Russel wasn’t good.

The pace of Max was yet again on a different level. It could be an interesting race tomorrow.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I predict Max will come through the field and still win. Ferrari will stuff it up with a bad call.
Perez will be instructed to pull over for Max.
I don’t think he has to be instructed to pull over. He just not fast enough.

I predict Lewis Hamilton will go in the pits just when Max will overtake him.

We will find out tomorrow 👍

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Good result again by Max. Such a nice and consistent driver. Well done.

Let‘s not forget Max has the RB18/Honda under him. It goes a LONG way toward allowing him to be so consistent. He has matured allot over the past 2years, however IMO it’s the RB18 putting him where he is. It’s designed to fit his driving style. Not Checo’s. I think Checo deserves tremendous credit for the results he squeezes from a chassis designed for his teammate.

OldMacPro2

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2022
Albon making it to Q3 was the most interesting part of Qualifying.

I'm sure Mercedes is a little disappointed with today's results, but they usually have good race strategy.

We will see where Ferrari and Red Bull end up. Checo and Sainz may end up taking each other out.

Crazier things have happened.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Let‘s not forget Max has the RB18/Honda under him. It goes a LONG way toward allowing him to be so consistent. He has matured allot over the past 2years, however IMO it’s the RB18 putting him where he is. It’s designed to fit his driving style. Not Checo’s. I think Checo deserves tremendous credit for the results he squeezes from a chassis designed for his teammate.
Is that an opinion or fact? You seem to present it as a fact...

Each racer has got a whole team dedicated to them to adjust their vehicles to their style, position, track etc. All constructor teams do that, and all drivers have that at their disposal.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
1Carlos Sainz
2Sergio Perez
3Fernando Alonso
4Lewis Hamilton
5George Russell
6Alexander Albon
7Daniel Ricciardo
8Pierre Gasly
9Lance Stroll
10Sebastian Vettel
11Nicholas Latifi
12Kevin Magnussen
13Yuki Tsunoda
14Valtteri Bottas*
15Max Verstappen*
16Charles Leclerc*
17Esteban Ocon*
18Lando Norris*
19Zhou Guanyu
20Mick Schumacher*
*Driver given a grid penalty

Albon about to make a name for himself.... ?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
1Carlos Sainz
2Sergio Perez
3Fernando Alonso
4Lewis Hamilton
5George Russell
6Alexander Albon
7Daniel Ricciardo
8Pierre Gasly
9Lance Stroll
10Sebastian Vettel
11Nicholas Latifi
12Kevin Magnussen
13Yuki Tsunoda
14Valtteri Bottas*
15Max Verstappen*
16Charles Leclerc*
17Esteban Ocon*
18Lando Norris*
19Zhou Guanyu
20Mick Schumacher*
*Driver given a grid penalty

Albon about to make a name for himself.... ?
And the bottom shifts up a further place as Yuki is starting from the pit lane now 👍

• Wow

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Lewis dressed for success today 😎

293A5BD7-1161-4B3A-8552-BE4E96A6F7EB.jpeg

• Haha

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’m being optimistic but I think Lewis i’ll win today. His success at this track is impressive and he’s been close to a win a couple of times this season. Ferrari will mess up their strategy as a lot of people predict lol. I’ll probably be completely wrong but I guess i’ll find out in the highlights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.