Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 14?

• Total voters

gaedfly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
This was theeeee absolute most difficult pre-ordering experience I’ve had…and I upgrade every year. The TL;DR is that I still managed to get what I wanted, a Dark Purple 128gb 14 Pro with release day pickup. The too long version is that it took forever, and I currently have 2 orders for it. I did the pre-pre order through the app so I could speed through my worst-case scenario order if needed, and it turns out I did. I had 1) military discount, which you can’t get through the app (nor can you use it with Apple Card financing, but I’ll come back to that), and 2) a $354 Apple Account balance that I wanted to use. Well, my first attempts were through the website, which I couldn’t even access until ~8:15EST. While waiting for that, I tried several times to complete the “Get Ready” I’d done through the app. Kept getting to payment and it failed authorization…for all 3 methods I attempted. One I could understand (my Discover tends to err on the side of caution and send a text asking if I attempted a transaction), but the other 2 should have had no problems. One was my Apple Card that has a zero balance (but is still active)! Apple Pay wouldn’t work. Credit cards wouldn’t work. When I finally got in through the app…same thing. Finally about 8:50 I was able to get it through in the app; not ideal as it was the monthly financing which I didn’t want to do because I couldn’t get the $100 mil disc nor use my Apple Account balance. But I’d rather do that than nothing. Even after placing that order, I tried several more times to place an order through the military storefront and that FINALLY went through about 10:50. And still for Sept 16 pickup. That was my ideal situation as I was able to get the $899 price and use my $354 balance. The other piece is that we will be traveling; we check out of our hotel in Orlando that day to head to TN. The earliest I was able to get for pickup by that point was 2:45pm but I did order a watch yesterday with an 11:00 time slot so hopefully they’ll take pity on me and give me both then or my husband is gonna be PISSED that we’re not at least 3 hours down the road by then 😂
Yikes, sounds like a nightmare.

Reactions: Brad7
No, don’t do that. Call in and have them switch you to eSIM now on the current phone so you can do the switch online later. They will charge you that $30-$40 happily when you walk into the store.
Yes, ☝🏽 I agree. Avoid going to the store. They act like car salesman.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
So the old lady decides to tell me 12 hours after the preorder that she wants a purple 12 pro, or pro max. 🤦‍♂️ she did this to me with the iPhone X too. Tells me the day after release she wants it. Managed to find her one that day maybe I can do it with this one too 🤣
Sounds like how my husband does me when he’s ready to upgrade. He waits 2-3 years and never wants to pre-order. Then he’s like, but you know to find the phones and stuff… Ummm, yeah because I pre-order and watch inventory, you can do it too! Of course, I do it anyway. 😂

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
This Spigen case was delivered today at my nearest Amazon locker. I’m trying something new this year and will only use clear cases.

af4d17abfa3f873384cfeea845fba979.png
Oooo what do you think? I’m considering that very model. How’s the grip/slip feel? Do the sides seem weak like they won’t hug tightly? How’s the bulky/thin vibe? Feel encouraged to answer or not answer any of those questions :)

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
No, don’t do that. Call in and have them switch you to eSIM now on the current phone so you can do the switch online later. They will charge you that $30-$40 happily when you walk into the store.
weird that they charge you that much just to have them activate esim for you. When you do it on myverizon, it's actually free to do it. lol

Last year i had to get a new SIM card put in for the 13pro launch day and they tried selling me a $50 screen protector lol. Didn’t get charged a set up fee but they really tried to get me to buy something
Haha! I don't know why but they act like bunch of scalpers. A no is a no 😂

Gsxr750

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Sounds like how my husband does me when he’s ready to upgrade. He waits 2-3 years and never wants to pre-order. Then he’s like, but you know to find the phones and stuff… Ummm, yeah because I pre-order and watch inventory, you can do it too! Of course, I do it anyway. 😂
I found a couple options still available for release day delivery or pick up so far. Problem is, she won’t tell me if she wants the pro or pro max 🤣 I thinks I might end up camping out at the Apple Store this year even though mine is being delivered on launch day. Oh well. At least I get to take the day off of work.

macbookguy

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2006
Just be advised that sending it to a UPS store could potentially add an extra day for delivery. A UPS CC where your packages are before being loaded on the truck is a better option.
I second this. Worked at FedEx as an admin for a year and a half as a second job. Hold at the warehouse - don't redirect unless you absolutely have to.

gaedfly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
For me, the citizens one email comes a couple of days before delivery. Not to make you feel bad, but I have now moved to “preparing for shipment”. Some folks get that quickly, others much later. But I hope it gives you some confidence that these things tend to work out. 🤞
I agree with someone else who said this is the fastest it has moved to preparing to ship that I can recall. It doesn't really mean anything though in the long run as it will still be delivered for most of us on the promised date. And their status updates are often incorrect. I've located mine over at UPS with a tracking # when Apple still says processing or preparing to ship.

Unfortunately, I was told that to convert to eSIM on the AT&T prepaid plan, I have to go into the store. Read that it involves them just scanning a QR code to activate it and a $5 charge with it 🙄
Ahh, get it done at the store. After you are done, call AT&T customer service and ask for a $25 - $50 promotional credit for being a loyal customer. They will honor it and give it to you. 👏

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Just be advised that sending it to a UPS store could potentially add an extra day for delivery. A UPS CC where your packages are before being loaded on the truck is a better option.
I will add to that the UPS Store is actually hit or miss on being able to pick it up on same day. Of all the time I did utilize the UPS Access point, I was able to pick it up on launch day (this included Airpods Pro when I ordered them). But yes I do agree that UPS CC is a safer option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.