Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 14?

• Total voters

The Mad Mule

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Is mailing in your device the only way to get the current trade-in value? I assume it'll be less the day the phone actually launches...

I've just read so many horror stories of the company receiving the phones screwing people over with the device condition.

Reactions: CarolG

anjo10

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2020
Chicago, IL
Is mailing in your device the only way to get the current trade-in value? I assume it'll be less the day the phone actually launches...

I've just read so many horror stories of the company receiving the phones screwing people over with the device condition.
Last year, I brought the device at the store and they happily took it, did the trade in there and gave me the maximum credit of $720 if I remember it right. Iā€™ll be doing it again this year

Matthewzilla

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2015
Texas
Couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer here.

1. It looks like preordering the phone through the Apple Store app actually lets you select which carrier you want to use as far as taking advantage of the trade in promo. It even has you select which type of device you want to trade in. By doing it through the Apple Store app, does that mean I have to send the phone I am trading in to apple? or can I take it to the AT&T store like previous years?
2. Does anybody know if we can do the AT&T "Next Up" thing through the Apple Store app again this year?

AnOracle

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2021
For those that have done the iPhone Upgrade Program in store, do you have to turn in your old phone right then and there or can you bring it back within 14 days to complete the trade?

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I was an annual day one adopter from the 3G through the 8+. Then I found I'm in like the 5% affected by PWM and have been stuck on the regular 11. I am going to try once again but I am so torn!! Pro Max for my aging 46 year old eyes, large hands, and beautiful screen real estate or the Pro with easy pocket-ability for walks/jobs/gym shorts and less 'out there' in the obvious. Decisions šŸ˜©
Space Black and 512gb are given.

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I've seen some posts saying that selecting "unconnected" rather than ATT will save an activation fee. Is there any other reason to select "unconnected"? I've already set up my two preorders, selecting ATT, but I remember that having to verify the account (before actually checking out on preorder day) takes time. Would I be better off to delete these pre-preorders and do new ones, selecting "unconnected"?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I've seen some posts saying that selecting "unconnected" rather than ATT will save an activation fee. Is there any other reason to select "unconnected"? I've already set up my two preorders, selecting ATT, but I remember that having to verify the account (before actually checking out on preorder day) takes time. Would I be better off to delete these pre-preorders and do new ones, selecting "unconnected"?
if you do unconnected, there is no activation fee and no att info detail given at the time. If you are paying full price, you might as well.

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I was an annual day one adopter from the 3G through the 8+. Then I found I'm in like the 5% affected by PWM and have been stuck on the regular 11. I am going to try once again but I am so torn!! Pro Max for my aging 46 year old eyes, large hands, and beautiful screen real estate or the Pro with easy pocket-ability for walks/jobs/gym shorts and less 'out there' in the obvious. Decisions šŸ˜©
Space Black and 512gb are given.
I have an iP12 Pro but always had the ā€œlargerā€ screen since the Xs. Personally, Iā€™m going with the Pro Max this time. I enjoyed the 6.1ā€ from the 12 Pro but Iā€™d like a bigger screen this time. I use an EDC sling most of the time so ā€œpocketingā€ the phone wonā€™t be a big deal.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Some more examples of the colors from MKBHDā€™s video:
AEC9-B3-EE-EF6-C-43-F6-BE58-C8-EA948-B1351.jpg

BE7-A2-BAF-4-F35-4544-81-F9-0-CBAAD3-BB9-B0.jpg

2-FDDB04-A-E3-AD-464-B-B75-E-123-D75321-FE1.jpg

Iā€™m definitely settled on Purple now.

JFK1979

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Denver, CO
For those that have done the iPhone Upgrade Program in store, do you have to turn in your old phone right then and there or can you bring it back within 14 days to complete the trade?
You have to ship it back to Apple they'll send you a box. At least that is my experience when i wanted to give it back in the store i was told i can't

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
IT would depend on how it's ordered and done. If you do the "Get an unconnected iPhone" and pay full price from that option, there is no activation fee at all. I've done this many times and not a single upgrade/activation fee ever appeared on my next month bill.

Now if you choose the verizon carrier option and whether you finance or pay in full from that option, then there is an activation fee.
I guess weā€™ll find out. I selected unconnected but it appears there is still a chance of it triggering the upgrade fee according to people who work as Verizon reps. The way before was to get a sim-less iPhone then put your old card in. That way, Verizon had nothing to do with the upgrade process. But now you have to activate through Verizon itself regardless.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Good luck!!! šŸ¤ž I'm also in the middle of a job hunt. I decided no matter what I'm at least getting a new iPhone. I'm waiting for the next AW at least to replace my AW 6 even though the battery doesn't last a full day if I'm super active. šŸ˜“

Thank you and sending good luck on your search as well! It's coming!!

Sending good vibes to you both! At the start of this year I left my job I had been at for like 7 year ( the environment got super toxic). I was unemployed and a recruiter for Apple reached out to me via LinkedIn. It was for a role in my local Apple store but the pay and benefits were great. I made it to the final round of interviews but didn't make it. It's hard to get hired by Apple ( like the hunger games lol).
Three almost four months ago a landed a great marketing coordinator job that pays well. The first thing I thought was " yes I can buy the iPhone 14 in the fall ". Ha

I love this story! I see now that I would have been limiting myself if I got the role in July. Each of these roles now are in a different tier in pay, level, and influence. Thank you!

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
do any of you guys sell your phones on craigslist/facebook? is it worth the trouble or better to just trade in with Apple?

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012

You can take it in to the Apple store as well. I did this last year and they processed the credit there.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I guess weā€™ll find out. I selected unconnected but it appears there is still a chance of it triggering the upgrade fee according to people who work as Verizon reps. The way before was to get a sim-less iPhone then put your old card in. That way, Verizon had nothing to do with the upgrade process. But now you have to activate through Verizon itself regardless.
I can 100% tell you that of all pre-orders i have done. I have always gotten a sim-free model and have activated an e-sim on my own and have never been charged. Of course I don't see any thing on my bill in the past of where the activation fee was implied on.

I recently did one for my wife on a 13 pro max as she needed a new phone. got the sim free, and did it on esim. No charge.

Time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.