Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
We still don't know the reason why they have been delayed, i'm hoping they don't sell out to quick when they do come out.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I would love for these to be available from third parties asap, as they usually provide 2-3 years accidental cover for a small cost. Am not aware of any Apple care equivalent for these.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
We still don't know the reason why they have been delayed, i'm hoping they don't sell out to quick when they do come out.

based on the way apple is doing things lately they will sell out and be back ordered for another couple of months within minutes of going on sale :(
I have no interest in these myself since I have small ears and the earpods don't really fit me well, but i would love to get a pair for my wife for xmas... I dont think its going to happen

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I tried the gear icon x only because I wanted to see if good sound can be delivered in such a small device and find out yes it could.

That said, I do not feel like trying other totally wireless options. Early reviews indicate the Airpods are a good product, I would be conceding on the price and probably connectivity somewhat on something else.

I have gone this long without anything totally wireless so .....

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
based on the way apple is doing things lately they will sell out and be back ordered for another couple of months within minutes of going on sale :(
I have no interest in these myself since I have small ears and the earpods don't really fit me well, but i would love to get a pair for my wife for xmas... I dont think its going to happen

Probably, because they have been delayed there will be pent up demand which will cause them to sell out. Maybe it's why the new MacBook Pro's sold out, but also Apple had their best selling/pre-orders online apparently.

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Well my Beats Solo3 have arrived . . .

And now they're going back :(

I stick with all my praise for them -- beautiful looking, easy to use, etc. -- but I use headphones when I'm out walking and I've discovered that over-ear headphones enable you to hear your own steps as a "thud, thud, thud" when you walk. It's really distracting.

So I'm doomed to wait for the ridiculous AirPods. It's perfectly clear there is zero chance of these arriving before Christmas. Or New Year.

In time for my birthday in April, perhaps?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
8th December and still no leaks or anything.

Think will be ordering the Bragi dash for Christmas.

nivekr11

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Every time I get an alert, I'm hoping they were silently released. I need to turn off notifications for this forum. Lol.

Kanders78

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
Kansas
yeah it sucks they haven't announced anything yet with some idea of a time frame instead of this coming soon. I am looking forward to an option with no wires and my air by crazybabys won't be hear until next year.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
The solution to the weight issue with the Jaybird Freedom is to use the included clip to attached the cord to your shirt or use the over ear x-fit configuration with the cord shortening clips to put some of the weight against your head.

I don't love either of those options though because I like to use my Bluetooth head buds to make calls and the audio is much better with the traditional fit and in line microphone being not against your body.

I'm willing to give the air pods a chance.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I really hope they are out before Christmas. But I'd rather Apple gets them right than rushes them with bugs.

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
I agree and how I use mine. The Jaybird Freedoms sound great but just get by for making and taking calls.

Last edited:

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I just thought about this, and I think the delay in the product releases (AirPods, Beats X) is to inflate next quarter's (financial) sales. Depending on the demand, this would help keep the sales numbers up when they report Q1 numbers.

Just food for thought.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I just thought about this, and I think the delay in the product releases (AirPods, Beats X) is to inflate next quarter's (financial) sales. Depending on the demand, this would help keep the sales numbers up when they report Q1 numbers.

Just food for thought.

I doubt that, they are leaving a lot of sales on the table by doing that, imagine all the people who are in the market for wireless headphones for the holidays, they will go with another brand... and most people dont have money to buy a pair now and then the airpods when they come out...... I can understand your thinking and logic, but that wouldn't make much business sense in the end. Trust me Apple would like nothing more than to get these out for christmas sales, there has to be something wrong that was discovered at the 11th hour, either with the headphones themselves or the manufacturing process.

Reactions: Arran

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Well at least we know what's holding them back from releasing the pods. I'd honestly bitch about it, sit and wait rather than have a faulty product on my hands which doesn't sync or connect properly.

Just curious if they will actually come before 2016 ends.

It's so unlike Apple... ☹️

betasp

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Once I read the article and actually put a minute or so of brain power behind the development of the airpods, the difficulty comes to light. Think of all the scenarios that might pop up in use... on a call with one earpiece in and it dies, what happens (goes to other pod, goes to phone, etc). Listening to music and one pod dies, what happens (stereo to mono in the other ear, the other cuts out, how does the iphone know it died, etc).

I know it would not be too hard to put together the rules, but it would be easy to see how something might get missed in the hundreds and hundreds of scenarios of everyday use.

Reactions: Antgb84

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Once I read the article and actually put a minute or so of brain power behind the development of the airpods, the difficulty comes to light. Think of all the scenarios that might pop up in use... on a call with one earpiece in and it dies, what happens (goes to other pod, goes to phone, etc). Listening to music and one pod dies, what happens (stereo to mono in the other ear, the other cuts out, how does the iphone know it died, etc).

I know it would not be too hard to put together the rules, but it would be easy to see how something might get missed in the hundreds and hundreds of scenarios of everyday use.
Well at least we know what's holding them back from releasing the pods. I'd honestly bitch about it, sit and wait rather than have a faulty product on my hands which doesn't sync or connect properly.

Just curious if they will actually come before 2016 ends.

It's so unlike Apple... ☹️
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/09/airpods-delay-reasoning-wsj/

And here i thought they were delaying it because it's probably not very usable with winter gloves on

That WSJ article is likely to be incorrect. The Airpods have been distributed to many reviewers and these issues were never apparent. Those issues are likely to have occurred much earlier in development which are long resolved. See Gruber's update comment, which points to a manufacturing issue (on that same article).

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Still gonna get the AirPods. I bought these today because my X's are failing and out of warranty. Didn't want to spend much. Amazing bass performance.

Reactions: Antgb84

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
sounds to me that the air pods aren't anywhere close to being ready judging by the recent article.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
sounds to me that the air pods aren't anywhere close to being ready judging by the recent article.

Perhaps they're not far off, but there is no way they will launch and deliver before Christmas is here. January seems likely, which was rumored weeks ago after the initial delay was announced. Not very pleased with Apple's process on this.

Reactions: blaine07

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
8th December and still no leaks or anything.

Think will be ordering the Bragi dash for Christmas.

I picked some up at Sams Club and the Bluetooth is HORRIBLE! I carry my phone in my left pocket and they are not useable, even with the latest 2.2 update for them that claims to improve Bluetooth. Updating them is also not the easiest. There are at least 3 methods. The "normal" way didn't work using their update program downloaded from their site so I did a "rapid update" where each individual earpiece is updated separately. They will mount as a disk in finder and you download the firmware for the right dash, click and drag it to the right dash, eject it, (if not, the update fails). Then wait for it to update. You must have enough charge but there is no charge level indicator other than the color of the lights that give an estimate. Now if that's successful, you move on to the left one, drop it in the cradle, and hope it will now mount as a drive in finder, chances are it won't. You go back and try to read the instructions and it says nothing regarding what to do, then you will start searching the web and hopefully find the solution, I did on Reddit. You must perform a reset on the left one to get it to mount, then you again download the left firmware, load it, wait for it to update after ejecting, oops, you didn't eject before unplugging because you're excited to try them out so you do the process again. Finally it's all updated and you try them out. You go onto the app and set them all up. Try out the nifty head gesture tricks and you're good. You throw your phone in your pocket and all is good but you look to the right and it skips. You take it out, walk 3-5 feet away and the bluetooth signal is lost. That was my experience, I couldn't handle that performance after dropping almost $300 on them, so back to Sams they went. I'm sticking with my Jaybird Freedoms for now, I can be 50 feet away indoors in another room before they start to skip and I can have it in any pocket with no problems. YMMV

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
All the alternatives have a flaw one way or another so Apple wants to make sure they get the forecasted features right without having to deal with a large amount of returns and bitchin. :)

And I still say the price is better and so will the quality.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I picked some up at Sams Club and the Bluetooth is HORRIBLE! I carry my phone in my left pocket and they are not useable, even with the latest 2.2 update for them that claims to improve Bluetooth. Updating them is also not the easiest. There are at least 3 methods. The "normal" way didn't work using their update program downloaded from their site so I did a "rapid update" where each individual earpiece is updated separately. They will mount as a disk in finder and you download the firmware for the right dash, click and drag it to the right dash, eject it, (if not, the update fails). Then wait for it to update. You must have enough charge but there is no charge level indicator other than the color of the lights that give an estimate. Now if that's successful, you move on to the left one, drop it in the cradle, and hope it will now mount as a drive in finder, chances are it won't. You go back and try to read the instructions and it says nothing regarding what to do, then you will start searching the web and hopefully find the solution, I did on Reddit. You must perform a reset on the left one to get it to mount, then you again download the left firmware, load it, wait for it to update after ejecting, oops, you didn't eject before unplugging because you're excited to try them out so you do the process again. Finally it's all updated and you try them out. You go onto the app and set them all up. Try out the nifty head gesture tricks and you're good. You throw your phone in your pocket and all is good but you look to the right and it skips. You take it out, walk 3-5 feet away and the bluetooth signal is lost. That was my experience, I couldn't handle that performance after dropping almost $300 on them, so back to Sams they went. I'm sticking with my Jaybird Freedoms for now, I can be 50 feet away indoors in another room before they start to skip and I can have it in any pocket with no problems. YMMV
Was under the impression 2.2 fixed the Bluetooth connection

That's frustrating. No excuse for it to lose connection in your pocket

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.