Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
if it really is 2017 then I think i'm tempted to just get the bragi dash soon. will wait for another few weeks for next payday on the 23rd then make a decision then.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
if it really is 2017 then I think i'm tempted to just get the bragi dash soon. will wait for another few weeks for next payday on the 23rd then make a decision then.

Bragi Dash are at Costco.com for 249. For the same price I am loving the jabra elite sport

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Even if the Airpods launch in the next two weeks, it would be near Christmas and they likely wouldn't ship until at least two/four days after. I still think January unfortunately.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah it will be January now.... if they have sorted whatever the issue is by then

Either way, they better launch soon. I'm reading a lot of forum members comments who are ready to consider other Bluetooth options, which is lost profit for Apple and disgruntled customers. Not a good a Combination.

Reactions: gemnilocs

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm using the Jaybird Freedom F5 and I love the low profile but hate the weight of the inline battery/mic. Far too heavy so much so that it pulls the cord to one side significantly. I think it would not stay in ear if I didn't use a custom molding process to fit the buds to my exact ear shape. Jaybirds included ear tips and wing combo definitely would not cut it for me.

I'm ready for truly wireless headphones!

Reactions: royinla14

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
On Amazon UK, they currently have a five star rating with all seven reviewers giving five stars. So who knows?

Sound quality is not that important to me -- surely they're better than EarPods, which I've been using for years. I mostly only listen to spoken word.

Comfort, on the other hand, is a deal-breaker. They need to last an hour and a half without irritation.
Not to be a negative nancy, but Amazon unfortunately has been a gold mine for rigged and/or unreliable reviews (which is unfortunate as I purchase a lot from amazon). If you look at some real reviews by qualified people, it really isn't worth the price tag compared to the competition - you'll only be getting it for the w1 chip and forgoing most other things.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah I mean even if these launch tomorrow they've missed the Christmas window for a LOT of the people that want them because they WILL be back ordered into 2018, unfortunately.

Reactions: 44267547

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Not to be a negative nancy, but Amazon unfortunately has been a gold mine for rigged and/or unreliable reviews (which is unfortunate as I purchase a lot from amazon). If you look at some real reviews by qualified people, it really isn't worth the price tag compared to the competition - you'll only be getting it for the w1 chip and forgoing most other things.

Well my Beats Solo3 have arrived . . .

So far I am stunned. They look beautiful, the build quality is great, the sound is terrific . . . setting them up was blissfully easy, the range is great. As long as I can tolerate wearing them for up to an hour and a half at a time, I'm keeping these bad boys and AirPods will be a distant memory.

I am seriously so impressed with these things. The integration with my other Apple products is so well done.

Even the packaging is great!

But isn't it funny how our price-expectations have been massaged so cleverly by Apple. I've just paid £225 for a pair of headphones. That's vastly more than I would have considered even a few years ago.

Oh, and although they're not noise-cancelling, the noise isolation is very good. I have an irritating habit of whistling along to music and I can barely hear myself when I'm wearing these.

Right now, at least, I'm an Apple fanboy again :)

Reactions: Ma2k5 and Antgb84

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Well my Beats Solo3 have arrived . . .

So far I am stunned. They look beautiful, the build quality is great, the sound is terrific . . . setting them up was blissfully easy, the range is great. As long as I can tolerate wearing them for up to an hour and a half at a time, I'm keeping these bad boys and AirPods will be a distant memory.

I am seriously so impressed with these things. The integration with my other Apple products is so well done.

Even the packaging is great!

But isn't it funny how our price-expectations have been massaged so cleverly by Apple. I've just paid £225 for a pair of headphones. That's vastly more than I would have considered even a few years ago.

Oh, and although they're not noise-cancelling, the noise isolation is very good. I have an irritating habit of whistling along to music and I can barely hear myself when I'm wearing these.

Right now, at least, I'm an Apple fanboy again :)
As much as the beats solo are good it's old news. The airpods and bragi headphones are bringing something new to the table which most of us are excited about.

The dash has been out awhile but has shotty bt connection. The icon x has 1 hr battery. I do hear good things about the jabra elites tho, but a bit expensive.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Bloody hell, I'm stuck between these and BeatsX. I want completely wireless but would be scary to lose one of these things.

Can't imagine doing any physical activity that'd just increase the risk.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
As much as the beats solo are good it's old news. The airpods and bragi headphones are bringing something new to the table which most of us are excited about.

The dash has been out awhile but has shotty bt connection. The icon x has 1 hr battery. I do hear good things about the jabra elites tho, but a bit expensive.

The problem with Jabra elites is

a) They look a bit bulky/ugly
b) They only have 3 hours charge, with the other 6 hours (to make up 9 hours) made via the charging case. If you listen to music on higher than normal volume (or higher than whatever they used to get that 3 hour estimated time), you'll probably get a lot less than the quoted 3 hours before needing to recharge it. For a cost of more than 50% of Airpods/Beats X, I would like to have had more than that.
[doublepost=1481038156][/doublepost]
Bloody hell, I'm stuck between these and BeatsX. I want completely wireless but would be scary to lose one of these things.

Let's all just buy both! ;)

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
The problem with Jabra elites is

a) They look a bit bulky/ugly
b) They only have 3 hours charge, with the other 6 hours (to make up 9 hours) made via the charging case. If you listen to music on higher than normal volume (or higher than whatever they used to get that 3 hour estimated time), you'll probably get a lot less than the quoted 3 hours before needing to recharge it. For a cost of more than 50% of Airpods/Beats X, I would like to have had more than that.
[doublepost=1481038156][/doublepost]

Let's all just buy both! ;)

The jabra look bulky.. but they are very comfortable once you find the right fit.

As far as the the usage.. I have yet to find a wireless earpod that has more than 3 hours.. with as good as reviews. The only drawback is the case only has 2 more charges.. whereas other earpods' cases might have more charges.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
The jabra look bulky.. but they are very comfortable once you find the right fit.

As far as the the usage.. I have yet to find a wireless earpod that has more than 3 hours.. with as good as reviews. The only drawback is the case only has 2 more charges.. whereas other earpods' cases might have more charges.

That is why I haven't purchased them and am waiting for the Apple Air pods (or if it comes to it, might just stick with getting Beats X). Why pay all that extra money for an inferior product, just because we can't wait a few more weeks.

If these were maybe half the price of <£100, you could argue that the compromises are worth the cost, but you are paying what £70-80 more!? Unbelievable.

Last edited:

clerkp

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015

While they look bulky in your hand, Jabra did a nice job designing these to "disappear" in your ear. They angle nicely in and do not stick out very far. The Bragi stick out more and the Motorola even more. The Jabra have a fairly low profile once in your ear. While looks are certainly subjective, the black Jabra look a whole lot better in my opinion than the white air pods. Again to each their own but I think concerns over the bulkiness of the Jabra may be a bit overstated.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Either way, they better launch soon. I'm reading a lot of forum members comments who are ready to consider other Bluetooth options, which is lost profit for Apple and disgruntled customers. Not a good a Combination.

Once the return policy window passes which isn't till mid January Apple has some more time. I figure folks trying other things now will end up trying the Airpods if they are released in time. If not and folks have decided to keep what they already bought then Apple lost those sales.

We don't know the issues but Apple will not release the Airpods before they are satisfied with them regardless of lost sales.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
I appreciate the "bulk" of the Jabra Elite Sport because it makes it easier to press the physical buttons. I didn't need to attach an ear wing so it seems not as bulky.

I was concerned about losing the buds too but I've done multiple hikes and trail runs with mine (Bragi Dash and Jabra Elite Sport) and thankfully they haven't popped out of my ears. I didn't feel the need to keep readjusting them either unlike the old pair I had (Bluebuds X).

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
That. The single reason I will not buy them.

Same here, i considered upgrading my Jaybird X2's but that put me off, plus the new clip on charger thingy, I hate that they went that route, even with the X3's... I liked being able to plug in any micro usb charger anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.