Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ap31001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
just got my macbook and realized the screen doesn't tilt further back? it looks like it goes just a little past 90 degrees. its annoying when having the laptop on my lap and close and want the screen to tilt further back.....im coming from a 2008 macbook so i don't know if this is the norm for the newer MacBooks?
:mad:

Dennison

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
United States
just got my macbook and realized the screen doesn't tilt further back? it looks like it goes just a little past 90 degrees. its annoying when having the laptop on my lap and close and want the screen to tilt further back.....im coming from a 2008 macbook so i don't know if this is the norm for the newer MacBooks?
:mad:

I'm using mine right now. The reduce in tilt may be due to the new all metal hinge. Maybe it doesn't allow as large of an opening as the plastic ones on the other MacBooks (Airs and Pros).

Try to start using your new MacBook as you normally would with any laptop. I've used mine while sitting up in bed, reclining in a chair, sitting up at different heights of different tables, and I've had absolutely zero issue with the tilt distance on this display.

The tilt on my MacBook goes generously past 90 degrees, so if yours becomes a problem during regular use, then you should investigate if it's a manufacturing defect.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Yes, I also wish it tilted further back. It's most likely due to how thin the machine is. Any further back and the bottom of the lid will touch the desk it's laying on.

Last edited:

ap31001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Yes, I also wish it tilted further back. It's most likely due to how thing the machine is. Any further back and the bottom of the lid will touch the desk it's laying on.

your right if it tilted further back it might end up affecting the macbook being able to lay flat...although i still think they still could've let it go further back...i see this as a design flaw still i think laptops should be able to tilt more further back

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
It opens about 135 degrees. I can't imagine needing any more than that but ymmv. Mine's usually at maybe 120 degrees.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I read this in a review and tested the hinge. For me I have zero issues with the screen tilt. I would never tilt my screen back that far. Even at the max tilt I wouldn't use it, I can't even see the screen that well.

Also, when someone says 90 degrees that means the screen is straight vertical. I don't know about anyone else but my screen tilts back a good degree well past 90 degrees.

ap31001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
I read this in a review and tested the hinge. For me I have zero issues with the screen tilt. I would never tilt my screen back that far. Even at the max tilt I wouldn't use it, I can't even see the screen that well.

Also, when someone says 90 degrees that means the screen is straight vertical. I don't know about anyone else but my screen tilts back a good degree well past 90 degrees.

it does go past 90 degrees but to say it goes well past 90 degrees in not correct at all...it goes slightly past 90 degrees.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Tilt back further? WHY?!?! Of all the gripes, this must be the weirdest. I can't imagine ever having a reason to tilt the screen further back than it does. There are so people doing weird stuff with their laptops here, clearly.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
it does go past 90 degrees but to say it goes well past 90 degrees in not correct at all...it goes slightly past 90 degrees.

pchwiqkno9dwel8cq3zj.jpg

In what world is that "slightly" past straight up? :rolleyes:

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012

In what world is that "slightly" past straight up? :rolleyes:

125-130 degrees. period.

if you guys really want to be big boys, take a yardstick or a straight edge long enough and lay it across the laptop to create the hypotenuse side of a triangle!....boom...mind blown...you can find the angle with some simple math.

Last edited:

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Tilt back further? WHY?!?! Of all the gripes, this must be the weirdest. I can't imagine ever having a reason to tilt the screen further back than it does. There are so people doing weird stuff with their laptops here, clearly.

If the desk you are using the Macbook on is too low, you'll need to tilt the screen back further to see it better. Either tilt the screen back or push the Macbook further back until the screen is easier to see.

Just look at what this fool has to go through to get a good viewing angle because his laptop doesn't tilt back far enough. lol

laptopbeefs-outlinepeople.jpg

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

It goes to about 135. That is 50% between straight up and laying flat back. Halfway is more than slightly.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
If the desk you are using the Macbook on is too low, you'll need to tilt the screen back further to see it better. Either tilt the screen back or push the Macbook further back until the screen is easier to see.

Just look at what this fool has to go through to get a good viewing angle because his laptop doesn't tilt back far enough. lol

Unless his desk is the floor, and that's why he needs to tilt the screen back so far, I'd say he's alone in his feeling.

saifrc

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
125-130 degrees. period.

if you guys really want to be big boys, take a yardstick or a straight edge long enough and lay it across the laptop to create the hypotenuse side of a triangle!....boom...mind blown...you can find the angle with some simple math.

Why not just use a protractor? Don't we all have one of those laying around? :)

whatos

macrumors 6502a
It's important not to assume anything when buying an Apple product. The Apple way is subject to change on every product they build. The best way to avoid being surprised is to research the product you're considering carefully. Once that's done you'll have a much better perspective on what to expect.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Unless his desk is the floor, and that's why he needs to tilt the screen back so far, I'd say he's alone in his feeling.

Nope, doesn't need to be on the floor to want to adjust the tilt further back.

Imagine you're standing and you have a desk that goes up to about waist high. Now imagine yourself using the laptop on that desk. Wouldn't you feel like you want the screen to tilt back further at that point? The desks that the Macbooks at the Apple Store is a good comparison for height. I see a lot of people slouching/leaning over to type and use it.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Nope, doesn't need to be on the floor to want to adjust the tilt further back.

Imagine you're standing and you have a desk that goes up to about waist high. Now imagine yourself using the laptop on that desk. Wouldn't you feel like you want the screen to tilt back further at that point? The desks that the Macbooks at the Apple Store is a good comparison for height. I see a lot of people slouching/leaning over to type and use it.

Your comparison is awful. Nobody works in those conditions.

You lean over to type, not to see the screen. Two completely different things.

The screens are perfectly usable at the Apple store's height.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.