Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
elbow height? where did you get this information that is wrong? elbow height is different for someone who's 5 feet tall then someone who is 6 or 7 feet....do you even work in a lab?

Did you stop reading my sentence halfway through it?

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Because you're bringing up an issue that doesn't affect 99% of users.... and to most, it's a silly issue. Don't like it? You can't change the Macbook, so move on to another product.

First off...I like how you just make up numbers lol. Just like you've made up other stuff about desk heights people are using the laptops on and layout of lab environments.

Second, Just because users are not vocal about this doesn't mean it doesn't affect them.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
First off...I like how you just make up numbers lol. Just like you've made up other stuff about desk heights people are using the laptops on and layout of lab environments.

Second, Just because users are not vocal about this doesn't mean it doesn't affect them.

I'm going to drop out of this thread, it's so absurdly pointless. I need to go start a new thread about how awful the Macbook is because they use rubber feet made from a substance that is too slippery on my desk because my cleaning lady uses a wood cleaner, and I think the issue is major, surely I'm not the only one with the issue. It's the end of the world, the sky is falling, chicken little.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
This thread made me giggle, so to tie it off I thought I'd bring this up:

There is no such thing as a "laptop". Go check any OEM site [Apple, Dell, HP, etc] you won't find a single "laptop" for sale.

It's called "notebook" now, mostly due to fear of hot coffee lawsuits over warm processors contacting bare skin.

Just a small bit of trivia.

Also:

Best statement *EVER* ^^

LOL. seriously? just arguing over semantics.

That's not the point of my statement. My point is that this is a mobile device that doesn't live it's life in one spot like a desktop PC.

Also, I searched "laptop" in Apple's online store and the first things to come up were the new MacBook, macbook air and retina macbook pro.

ap31001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
I'm going to drop out of this thread, it's so absurdly pointless. I need to go start a new thread about how awful the Macbook is because they use rubber feet made from a substance that is too slippery on my desk because my cleaning lady uses a wood cleaner, and I think the issue is major, surely I'm not the only one with the issue. It's the end of the world, the sky is falling, chicken little.

sounds awesome...bye!

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007

That's fine. Just don't make a thread about how you're an expert on how people should use their laptops, or the standard layout of a lab environment is, or how you're a statistician.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012

that topic would feed a lot of trolls.

ap31001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
this is my current situation to better help explain

Attachments

• IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 114

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Because you're bringing up an issue that doesn't affect 99% of users.... and to most, it's a silly issue. Don't like it? You can't change the Macbook, so move on to another product.

Most defensive thread I've seen. I agree it should open more. Is it a deal breaker? Probably not.

Over the years Apple has laptops that opened more than others. The earliest MacBook Pros opened a little bit less than later ones. Sounds to me like an improvement. Not sure why you seem to have to challenge everyone about their views.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007

Again, great example. This is what I've been trying to articulate but it's just easier with a picture like the one you just posted.

It's definitely a design drawback of how thin this notebook is. But ya just learn to deal with it. There are just a lot of people who are defending Apple like they're being paid to...saying the MacBook shouldn't be used in that type of situation.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Well look at it this way. Multiple studies have shown having a computer on your lap and staring down at it for more than like 20 minutes a day puts an incredible strain on your neck, shoulders and back. Apple is just watching out for your health ;)

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
Sure, I'd like it to open more

One of the things I liked about my Thinkpads was that the screen opened 180 degrees. There were many times on the job where that was handy.

Always thought it would be nice if my MacBooks could do that.

John B.

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
LOL. seriously? just arguing over semantics.

That's not the point of my statement.

Wasn't the point of mine, either. It was in the neighborhood of a light hearted comment/joke. Apparently nobody gets humor here. . y'all take things WAY too seriously!

[PS: I checked my own facts, and surprisingly both Dell and HP list notebooks on their website as "Laptops" again [I haven't actually looked in years] Quick, someone burn their legs and sue em'!

[Apple still refers to all their products as "notebooks", however]

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan

First, you are standing as close as possible to the front of the table.

Next, the photo is from directly above the laptop keyboard. It might even aim a little bit back towards the edge of the table so that your clothes enter the view.

You would literally have to lean over the table in order to get that view. No one trying to look at the screen would do such a thing.

ap31001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Can you post a picture from the side? That honestly doesn't look fully opened to me, and I'm wondering if you have a bad hinge.
here is a side angle

Attachments

• IMG_3892.JPG
    IMG_3892.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 134

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
i have to use a microscope for most of the day so thats not feasible and have to move around specimans ....sort of ridiculous your telling me how to do my job though?

You have two choices. 1)Deal with it 2)Return your MacBook and be done with it. That simple. Its quite ridiculous some people feel the need to create a new thread on this forum crying about things they nit pick over. Especially when their gripe is not a problem for the vast majority of other users. The angle of these photos are misleading because of the wide angle. With the MacBook in my lap and me sitting straight up, I still can't have it all the way back. I need to bring it towards me quite a bit.

ap31001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
You have two choices. 1)Deal with it 2)Return your MacBook and be done with it. That simple. Its quite ridiculous someone needs to create a new thread on this forum crying about things they nit pick over.

nones crying over it ...im just making a thread informing other people for whom it might be a deal breaker..i was asking a question as to if this is the norm for MacBooks since 2008 since that was the last time i bought a macbook. That simple. its quite ridiculous you don't read things...more so its quite annoying people like you want to discourage people from like you know, discussing things with the macbook...that is what a forum is for right? who is crying please indicate to me where it sounds like i am whining or crying?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.