Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
i was asking a question as to if this is the norm for MacBooks since 2008 since that was the last time i bought a macbook.
I just compared my new MB to my 2012 MBAir. The MacBook opens about one or two degrees further than the Air. I wouldn't know about other kinds/years of Apple notebooks.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
nones crying over it ...im just making a thread informing other people for whom it might be a deal breaker..i was asking a question as to if this is the norm for MacBooks since 2008 since that was the last time i bought a macbook. That simple. its quite ridiculous you don't read things...more so its quite annoying people like you want to discourage people from like you know, discussing things with the macbook...that is what a forum is for right? who is crying please indicate to me where it sounds like i am whining or crying?

Ok, I apologize, that was a bit harsh. Unfortunately for you thats how it was designed and there isn't anything anyone can do to change it. Might have to adjust how you use it.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Isn't it possible that the rMB could flip over if it were able to tilt further? Could be one of the compromises Apple had to make to achieve the thin/light design.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
why is everyone getting so defensive in this thread? i bring up one design flaw that could be a deal breaker for many professions/people and all the fanboys come in trying to defend it like its their children I'm talking about?

Nothing new. Every time someone starts a discussion of something like this, or a problem, and the fanboys get butt hurt. This forum has the best AND the worst of the internet, best to just block the worst and take the good.

----------

How silly of the op, discussing it on a discussion forum.

Because you're bringing up an issue that doesn't affect 99% of users.... and to most, it's a silly issue. Don't like it? You can't change the Macbook, so move on to another product.

----------

Ok, I apologize, that was a bit harsh. Unfortunately for you thats how it was designed and there isn't anything anyone can do to change it. Might have to adjust how you use it.

Maybe you have a recommendation of where one should go, other than a mac discussion forum, to discuss these things? Sheesh, why don't the butt hurt people just not read threads like these?

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
the issue is those who have purchased a rMB do not want to hear the critical debates about them.

They want to hear that they are perfect, worth the money, and reassurance that it was a wise investment.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
here is a side angle

No no, from the SIDE, not looking down at it! Why can't you read my mind? ;)

From that position, it looks like a more normal Macbook maximum angle to me. Probably not much to do except decide whether you can live with it. Maybe you could put some risers on the end of the lab tables to bring the computer up to a better position?

Ooh, or carry a milk crate. Milk crates solve all problems.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
the issue is those who have purchased a rMB do not want to hear the critical debates about them.

They want to hear that they are perfect, worth the money, and reassurance that it was a wise investment.

Not true for everyone here.

Question: we have a thread that's four pages long and no one's posted a comparative shot? I guess I'm as guilty as anyone else. If I get a chance tonight I'll try to shoot one.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
nones crying over it ...im just making a thread informing other people for whom it might be a deal breaker..i was asking a question as to if this is the norm for MacBooks since 2008 since that was the last time i bought a macbook. That simple. its quite ridiculous you don't read things...more so its quite annoying people like you want to discourage people from like you know, discussing things with the macbook...that is what a forum is for right? who is crying please indicate to me where it sounds like i am whining or crying?

I think the issue is to many people who have this machine the screen tilt is fine or normal. In the last five years I've had three MBAs and my wife has had one MBA. I just compared the rMB to my 11" MBA and to my wife's 13" MBA. The tilt is the same.

So, my question is what laptop are you basing your assumption that the tilt isn't enough? I understand you may want the tilt to be more, but from all the posts here I have yet to see one showing a laptop with more of a tilt (especially from Apple).

I also find it humorous people who are posting on this board who don't even own a rMB or have any interest.

TEBnewyork

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I think the issue is to many people who have this machine the screen tilt is fine or normal. In the last five years I've had three MBAs and my wife has had one MBA. I just compared the rMB to my 11" MBA and to my wife's 13" MBA. The tilt is the same.

So, my question is what laptop are you basing your assumption that the tilt isn't enough? I understand you may want the tilt to be more, but from all the posts here I have yet to see one showing a laptop with more of a tilt (especially from Apple).

I also find it humorous people who are posting on this board who don't even own a rMB or have any interest.

I just compared to a 2014 13" rMBP and the tilts are similar the MBP may go a few more degrees but not enough to make a meaningful difference in use on a lap.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Noticed it last night while checking out the rMB at Best Buy. Limiting but not a show stopper like other things.

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
I agree that more tilt would be nice. For example, sitting in bed with my knees bent and rMB on my lap. It would be nice if it could fold almost flat.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
b666aaf29845fb3b88f9a81b9adab992.jpg

I can't wait for my 1.3 to arrive. Enjoy guys...
#Tiltgate

clovehitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015

I don't see any truth in your second statement above. Furthermore I had no idea there was a *debate* going on--maybe that's the issue?

All I see are random users sharing their impressions, with practically no controls from which to accurately compare the variables of individual experiences. In the end you put your money down and take your chances, because basically ymmv from now till the cows come home.

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
This thread is a little ridiculous. The rMB screen tilts just as far back as the 11-inch MacBook Air, I compared the two at the Apple Store.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i find that, if i put my iphone under the front of the rmb , it tilts back to the same 140* as the rmbp. problem solved! (altho i can't then use the phone..)

enduser99

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
I found that (before anyone on here mentioned it), with the rMB, when used on my LAP, I felt I had to move it closer to me to read, as compared with the 13" MBA. Because of that, the angle of the screen was a little less than optimum when fully opened.

When used on a table or higher position for use, I didnt feel the LCD max opening issue was an issue.

saifrc

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
If the screen doesn't open at a wider angle...is that discriminatory against tall people? :D

I'm 5'8", and I've never had problems using any previous Apple laptop in my lap, including my Late 2008 MBP. I expect that taller people would have trouble with the 12" rMB, since they'd need the screen to tilt further back. Hooray for being medium height!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.