Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those who participated in the beta, did it run better that the GM?(differences in speed/battery)

• Yes, betas were better.

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • No, same performance, or GM is better.

Votes: 164 75.2%

• Total voters

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
Any animation is achieved by pushing series of images.

Animation, in the sense we're talking about here, is tweened on the fly. It is not pushing a "series of images" (which would be best handled by a video).

Here's some basic JavaScript animation from a popular animation library, for example. The animation is written in code, and then tweened on the fly. NOT through a series of images: https://greensock.com/3dtransforms

It plays exactly the same across all computers and browsers (above a certain processing power).

Last edited:
Reactions: Radon87000

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Jun 20, 2016
A series of images need to be shown to complete the whole animation and naturally older processors can’t push as many frames as the newer processors.

Nope. On ios 10.3.3 its all smooth with the same hardware. And I’m sure that they dont implemented more hardware-hungry animations.

Again, how new FEATURES work speedwise is one thing. Its reasonable that a new cpu can handle a new feature better than a old one. But animations should look and feel the same across the board. I mean come on. ANIMATIONS. And theyre not superheavy 4D animations, were talking about opening apps and folders.

Reactions: JohnnyW2K1

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Animation is particularly tricky when it comes to optimising because there’s very little one can do to make it feel the same across the board. A series of images need to be shown to complete the whole animation and naturally older processors can’t push as many frames as the newer processors. This is why most apps have stopped having loading animations because the load time just dragged on older devices.

Note - from personal experience being in the industry for a very long time. No scientific evidence is available to me right now other than having dealt with it myself on the platform.

A PC from 2009 can still show Windows 10 animations 8 years later. Why can’t iPhones?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
A PC from 2009 can still show Windows 10 animations 8 years later. Why can’t iPhones?

It really comes down to how the animation has been implemented. Most graphical animations are series of images these days.

Also that windows animation used really low resolution images.

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
Again, this video shows that it's not even the animation that causes the problem, but actually an unnecessary pause BEFORE the animation runs:

Without the animation both phones are just as fast at doing something much more complicated: Restoring an entire app from memory. Those animations are basic and have been there since iOS7.
[doublepost=1506426896][/doublepost]
It really comes down to how the animation has been implemented. Most graphical animations are series of images these days.

Also that windows animation used really low resolution images.

This just isn't true. Most animations are tweened on the fly, often using vector shapes. Anything that isn't (ie a series of raster images) is stored as a video. Are you trying to tell me that playing a video is difficult...?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
This just isn't true. Most animations are tweened on the fly, often using vector shapes. Anything that isn't (ie a series of raster images) is stored as a video. Are you trying to tell me that playing a video is difficult...?

As I said, it depends on how the animation has been implemented. And not all animations are kept as videos. I’ve seen as many as 90 pngs being pushed frame by frame to achieve animation on iOS. Not at the OS level but it is still around as one of the popular methods people seem to use. Obviously I don’t know exactly how the iOS native animations are done in detail but I’m just saying that animation optimisation can be tricky.

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
As I said, it depends on how the animation has been implemented. And not all animations are kept as videos. I’ve seen as many as 90 pngs being pushed frame by frame to achieve animation on iOS. Not at the OS level but it is still around as one of the popular methods people seem to use. Obviously I don’t know exactly how the iOS native animations are done in detail but I’m just saying that animation optimisation can be tricky.

That isn't what you said at all. You said: "Animation is particularly tricky when it comes to optimising because there’s very little one can do to make it feel the same across the board", and then you followed it with: "Any animation is achieved by pushing series of images", which was completely false.

It does depend on how it's implemented, I agree, but the animation we're talking about here (iOS native animation) is not a series of PNG images(!).

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
That isn't what you said at all. You said: "Animation is particularly tricky when it comes to optimising because there’s very little one can do to make it feel the same across the board", and then you followed it with: "Any animation is achieved by pushing series of images", which was completely false.

It does depend on how it's implemented, I agree, but the animation we're talking about here (iOS native animation) are not a series of PNG images!

Yeah true. It really depends on how the animation is implemented. I don’t know how the os level animations are done to be honest. I can’t think of them using any vector based implementation because that will be overkill. It could be just a snapshot on the fly and then resampling it with successively smaller dimension. Who knows?! ‍♂️

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Nope. On ios 10.3.3 its all smooth with the same hardware. And I’m sure that they dont implemented more hardware-hungry animations.

Again, how new FEATURES work speedwise is one thing. Its reasonable that a new cpu can handle a new feature better than a old one. But animations should look and feel the same across the board. I mean come on. ANIMATIONS. And theyre not superheavy 4D animations, were talking about opening apps and folders.

OK but use common sense then along that line of reasoning. If you admit there is more "stuff" going on in the newer OS version, and yet with an older processor; even like a PC if you have a bunch of crap running and it bogs down the whole works and everything looks slow/laggy. Is it actually slower, no, the CPU and RAM and just bogged down.

Same effect here. There is more background "stuff" going on with the newer OS, on older hardware and some with only 1gb of RAM, and thus the animations LOOK laggier. It's obviously optimized for newer hardware first, there is no denying that and expecting otherwise is just foolish.

Ha. This is incredible to me. There's absolute evidence that Apple slows down phones in that video, and even when it's staring people in the face they insist it's not true -- based on what? Their own gut feelings?

Are people genuinely so brainwashed?

Let's do a thought experiment: Let's say the video is absolute correct in what it shows. The phones are identical, as it states, and the timings of the button presses are exact. If it's all true... THEN how do you explain it?
[doublepost=1506410713][/doublepost]

It only uses first part apps to show comparison loading times.

What are you talking about...?

Ha. I'm just realising that you didn't actually watch the video, did you? :)

You can continue to put your fingers in your ears and go "la la la can't hear you" to beat your own conspiracy drum.

For the upteenth time, newer hardware will run newer OSes better. Period. No conspiracy. Better hardware=better experience on a newer more resource hungry OS.

And based on the POLL here as well. Over 75% dont see an issue. But please do continue rambling about nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve62388 and KGB7

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
You can continue to put your fingers in your ears and go "la la la can't hear you" to beat your own conspiracy drum.

For the upteenth time, newer hardware will run newer OSes better. Period. No conspiracy. Better hardware=better experience on a newer more resource hungry OS.

Stu, I'm not the one putting my fingers in my ears. I'm very happy to hear an explanation for what's demonstrated in the video, but you clearly haven't even watched it, so I don't know why you think you speak with any authority about what it contains.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
You need to leave it at least a few weeks (sometimes months) to finish Indexing™ fully.

While computers are now hundreds, if not thousands of times faster than they were years ago, we can only assume indexing as we know it has become more complex than anyone could ever imagined, and now requires supercomputer levels of processing power, hence why Indexing™ can take weeks, if not months to complete.

New phones ship with Indexing™ fully complete, hence why they feel faster - in reality, they are not at all...

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I find it funny that some people think that this is normal. It really isn't, because the hardware changes in each generation is so minuscule that they really shouldn't change much with a software update. There is absolutely NO excuse for the iPhone 5S performing like trash on iOS 11, when the 6 acts pretty normal with it. This is a 1.3GHz dual core processor against a 1.4GHz dual core, both with 1GB of RAM and the 5S even has an advantage over the 6 because it doesn't have to push a larger display, yet it STILL performs like trash compared to the 6.

You think planned obsolescence is a myth with Apple? Ha, you're out of your mind.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I find it funny that some people think that this is normal. It really isn't, because the hardware changes in each generation is so minuscule that they really shouldn't change much with a software update. There is absolutely NO excuse for the iPhone 5S performing like trash on iOS 11, when the 6 acts pretty normal with it. This is a 1.3GHz dual core processor against a 1.4GHz dual core, both with 1GB of RAM and the 5S even has an advantage over the 6 because it doesn't have to push a larger display, yet it STILL performs like trash compared to the 6.

You think planned obsolescence is a myth with Apple? Ha, you're out of your mind.
Because it makes rational sense to expect people to spend more money if they think their devices are being essentially tampered with. That's some sound logic right there.

Reactions: stulaw11

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
FORGET the "iPhone 6 isn't powerful enough" excuse. Because it ran the betas just like it ran iOS 10!!
Still don't understand?? Let me explain:
The betas have the EXACT same features the GM has, which leaves no excuse for the GM to be slower than the beta. Why did it become so bad *just when I installed the GM*? Because this is the build customers will install on their iPhones, they'll see it's slow, and maybe buy a newer iPhone.
Now understand?!
My question isn't why iOS 11 is slow, it's why the GM is slower than the betas.
Probably intentionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
FORGET the "iPhone 6 isn't powerful enough" excuse. Because it ran the betas just like it ran iOS 10!!
Probably intentionally.

Because the betas might not have certain bits that the GM has, for example iPhone X specific features.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you guys stupid or trolling?!
Still don't understand?? Let me explain:
The betas have the EXACT same features the GM has, which leaves no excuse for the GM to be slower than the beta. Why did it become so bad *just when I installed the GM*? Because this is the build customers will install on their iPhones, they'll see it's slow, and maybe buy a newer iPhone.
Now understand?!
Probably intentionally.
Because it's not like that for many people? Because various people often have some sort of issues with petty much any updates/installs, be they betas or GM/final?

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Because the betas might not have certain bits that the GM has, for example iPhone X specific features.
:mad: So don't include them in the GM? That won't slow the phones down.
Apple could EASILY only have the files necessary to run the iPhone 6 on the iPhone 6 build..
They already do this, otherwise one IPSW file can get installed on all iPhones..
See? It didn't take an engineer to prove this invalid.
[doublepost=1506436825][/doublepost]
Because it's not like that for many people? Because various people often have some sort of issues with petty much any updates/installs, be they betas or GM/final?
Yeah, doubt Apple will slow down an iPhone 7, as it will be obvious it was done intentionally.
Hold two iPhones of the same model, one with a GM, one with a beta, and compare their speed and battery life.
You'll see a big deference.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
:mad: So don't include them in the GM? That won't slow the phones down.
Apple could EASILY only have the files necessary to run the iPhone 6 on the iPhone 6 build..
They already do this, otherwise one IPSW file can get installed on all iPhones..
See? It didn't take an engineer to prove this invalid.
[doublepost=1506436825][/doublepost]
Yeah, doubt Apple will slow down an iPhone 7, as it will be obvious it was done intentionally.
Hold two iPhones of the same model, one with a GM, one with a beta, and compare their speed and battery life.
You'll see a big deference.
Seems like plenty of people don't or even see the GM as being better. Basically there is no some widespread issue that applies the same way to everyone to somehow base some overall conclusion on.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Seems like plenty of people don't or even see the GM as being better. Basically there is no some widespread issue that applies the same way to everyone to somehow base some overall conclusion on.

Just because people don’t mention it, doesn’t mean they don’t notice it. And just because people don’t notice it, doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

Basically, I don’t think relying on forum respondents is a valid way to prove it one way or another. Running the different versions on the products in question is something I would find persuasive. (YouTube video anyone?)

Am I skeptical that Tim Cook, of all people, is allowing old phone models to run as smoothly as possible on new software? You bet I am!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just because people don’t mention it, doesn’t mean they don’t notice it. And just because people don’t notice it, doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

Basically, I don’t think relying on forum respondents is a valid way to prove it one way or another. Running the different versions on the products in question is something I would find persuasive. (YouTube video anyone?)

Am I skeptical that Tim Cook, of all people, is allowing old phone models to run as smoothly as possible on new software? You bet I am!!
So far doesn't seem like there's some widespread conspiracy of things working the way they are being claimed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.