Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those who participated in the beta, did it run better that the GM?(differences in speed/battery)

• Yes, betas were better.

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • No, same performance, or GM is better.

Votes: 164 75.2%

• Total voters

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
Because it makes rational sense to expect people to spend more money if they think their devices are being essentially tampered with. That's some sound logic right there.

That's a good argument, except that businesses have been doing it for decades. And Apple has people like you standing up for them, telling anyone who claims there's planned obsolescence they're crazy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's a good argument, except that businesses have been doing it for decades. And Apple has people like you standing up for them, telling anyone who claims there's planned obsolescence they're crazy.
Ad hominem arguments definitely bring that much more meaning to what is said.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
I think they just don't focus on optimizing performance. Mainly on features. This seems to effect even newer devices.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
My iPhone 7 runs iOS 11 fairly well and definitely in line with later betas. My iPhone 8 Plus on the other hand was a disaster with iOS 11.0. Version 11.0.1 has made an incredible effort in making the experience better. Glad Apple was quick in releasing the first update.

I think this whole thing about Apple intentionally slowing down older phones is just another conspiracy theory that I just cannot believe unfortunately.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
:mad: So don't include them in the GM? That won't slow the phones down.
Apple could EASILY only have the files necessary to run the iPhone 6 on the iPhone 6 build..
They already do this, otherwise one IPSW file can get installed on all iPhones..
See? It didn't take an engineer to prove this invalid.

All I have to say is facepalm for your response. It’s amazing how someone with little knowledge of software engineering can explain exactly how a service needs to be developed. Love it.

Last edited:

nathorpe

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Norwich
Just personal experience, not going to comment on the theory - but my 6 is running a lot smoother on the GM than it was on any of the betas. Battery life is about the same as the later betas and I am having a few more app crashes. But generally, launching apps and just navigating around the OS feels more fluid.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The GM is slower than OLDER betas every year. Happened to me on iOS 10..
Can't be a coincidence.
vvv
Except it's still not the experience that everyone shares.
vvv
Just personal experience, not going to comment on the theory - but my 6 is running a lot smoother on the GM than it was on any of the betas. Battery life is about the same as the later betas and I am having a few more app crashes. But generally, launching apps and just navigating around the OS feels more fluid.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
I don't have an iPhone 6, but I do have an iPod touch which has the same processor and the GM performed better than the early betas.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I can’t believe people are still paranoid about this supposedly planned obsolence from Apple.

New software on a 2+ year old phone is not going to run the same as the new phone, is pretty simple. OS get complex and more resource demanding, new features, animations, apps are much heavier. Still, the A8X and A9 SoC handle iOS 11 very very well, and I’m sure that by iOS 11.3 they will run the same as 10.3

Get over with it, in the tech world you can’t expect your 3 years old phone to be as fast as the new iPhone 8, thats delusional, stop the obsolescense bull ****.

Also iOS 11 as NEW OS. Devs need to optimize and update their apps, they have been updating and optimazing for iOS 10 for a year, give iOS 11 some time.

I don’t know if you guys remember iOS 10 at the beginning, it also worked pretty bad compared to 10.3.3
LOL, Scrolling in the most basic DEFAULT apps like Settings; Messages; stutters and lags. Even the home screen swiping between pages and 3D touching on icons lags. It must be my 2 year old iPhone 6S thats not allowing these basic functions, right?

Heres my post I told someone else on another thread:

Yepr... Ever since Forstall left speed/stability has been gone. Apps that used to feel light and airy, now feel heavy, and you get a sense that they can crash at any moment. I, as I think most people on this forum gave Apple the benefit of the doubt with iOS 7, as it was a complete overhaul in a very short period of time. I no longer give them this credit. I do now believe in the theory of 'Planned Obsolescence'.

Think about it...

iPhones stats in performance/storage space, are now rivaling base model Macs. Macs seems to have (at least in my experience) long upgradable (in terms of OS upgrades) lives. My Late rMBP on High Sierra still feels as fast as when I got it on Mavericks ( thats 4 OS upgrades!) Why doesn't my iPhone 6S, feel the same with only 2 OS upgrades?

This is because Apple number 1 profit is...... iPhones.

My iPhone 6S on iOS 10 was perfect, I didn't need to upgrade to the iPhone 8/X.
So they release a purposefully unoptimized OS (iOS 11) so the majority of the population (who of which aren't technological advanced) are therefore inclined to buy another 700 - 1000 dollar phone.

I mean cmon people on this forum, you need to wake up, and stop being Apple apologists.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
To people complaining about their devices getting slower and "almost unusable" on iOS 11, I would advice you to downgrade to 10.3.3 while you still can. I know it can be a hassle because you might need to transfer all your data but I guess it's better than complaining for months and ending up buying an iPhone 8/X because of that.

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
A8 and newer seems to run fine (based on my use of iPT6 + SE). A7 is a problem on iPad mini 2 though; but is more than usable on a 5s based on the speedtests...in the Betas and the GMs and the final :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
LOL, Scrolling in the most basic DEFAULT apps like Settings; Messages; stutters and lags. Even the home screen swiping between pages and 3D touching on icons lags. It must be my 2 year old iPhone 6S thats not allowing these basic functions, right?

Heres my post I told someone else on another thread:

Yepr... Ever since Forstall left speed/stability has been gone. Apps that used to feel light and airy, now feel heavy, and you get a sense that they can crash at any moment. I, as I think most people on this forum gave Apple the benefit of the doubt with iOS 7, as it was a complete overhaul in a very short period of time. I no longer give them this credit. I do now believe in the theory of 'Planned Obsolescence'.

Think about it...

iPhones stats in performance/storage space, are now rivaling base model Macs. Macs seems to have (at least in my experience) long upgradable (in terms of OS upgrades) lives. My Late rMBP on High Sierra still feels as fast as when I got it on Mavericks ( thats 4 OS upgrades!) Why doesn't my iPhone 6S, feel the same with only 2 OS upgrades?

This is because Apple number 1 profit is...... iPhones.

My iPhone 6S on iOS 10 was perfect, I didn't need to upgrade to the iPhone 8/X.
So they release a purposefully unoptimized OS (iOS 11) so the majority of the population (who of which aren't technological advanced) are therefore inclined to buy another 700 - 1000 dollar phone.

I mean cmon people on this forum, you need to wake up, and stop being Apple apologists.
All kinds of similar complaints were made in the early days of iOS 10, and now iOS 10 is "perfect" it seems. This time next year we'll be seeing similar things said about iOS 12 while iOS 11 will somehow be used as an example of perfection. Round and round it goes.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
All kinds of similar complaints were made in the early days of iOS 10, and now iOS 10 is "perfect" it seems. This time next year we'll be seeing similar things said about iOS 12 while iOS 11 will somehow be used as an example of perfection. Round and round it goes.
Wonderfull... iOS 11 will be perfect in Q2 2018, oh just in time for iOS 12, and yes round and round it goes ever since iOS 7...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wonderfull... iOS 11 will be perfect in Q2 2018, oh just in time for iOS 12, and yes round and round it goes ever since iOS 7...
That kind of pattern was around before iOS 7 too. Perhaps less people noticed it, but it was around then as well. And realistically speaking while it does take some releases to get a new version somewhat more "on track" for more people, it's usually there well before just the last few updates.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
My iPhone 6 did slow down with 11, hopefully the .01 will fix some of it. I turned off the animations in 11and it helped, but still slower.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
If your phones are perfect on an iOS version (lets say 10.3.3), why upgrade?

Performance beats features any day of the week for me. If that's not the case for you, then unfortunately you'll have to wait until next year for an acceptable version of iOS 11.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Found the Apple apologist. Give me a break this was not the pattern pre - iOS 7. Yes, there were some serious bugs now and then, but nothing like today. iOS 11 basically turned my iPhone 6s into an iPhone 4, in under 10 mins: that must be a new record!
It's hard to argue with reality, so deflections and ad hominem arguments often surface fairly quickly.

Reactions: I7guy and stulaw11

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
It's hard to argue with reality, so deflections and ad hominem arguments often surface fairly quickly.
I'm not trying to argue or be snarky. Maybe I should add some emojis to lighten it up :p. LOL

I'm curious what was your first iPhone and what OS version did it have on it when you first got it?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If your phones are perfect on an iOS version (lets say 10.3.3), why upgrade?

Performance beats features any day of the week for me. If that's not the case for you, then unfortunately you'll have to wait until next year for an acceptable version of iOS 11.

by that logic, how would you ever have gotten to 10.3.3? i mean, when do you know you're at the perfect OS? and do you stay with that forever?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
by that logic, how would you ever have gotten to 10.3.3? i mean, when do you know you're at the perfect OS? and do you stay with that forever?

I usually check around the forums and Reddit to see how people are experiencing iOS versions.

Apple is known for releasing a crappy, unoptimized version of iOS in the fall and progressively making it more performant throughout its life cycle. Once the .2 or .3 version hits, one can expect decent performance. It's then when you should consider upgrading (if you want the least amount of issues).

Course, with automatic updates it's tempting to upgrade in the fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.