Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
It is strange Apple isn't at least doing some of the presentations live in real time. The prerecorded stuff is quite polished and 'safe'. For example, this iPad Pro + Pencil reveal would be great live at 35 minutes.

The Magic Keyboard could be a seperate press release. 💩

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Can they reveal the new CEO already? Interim CEO Cook has far, far outstayed his welcome.

I misremembered. I thought Tim Cook was initially iCEO (like Jobs was upon his return) and he wasn't immediately declared the CEO. Do we know whether Jobs really intended for Cook to be CEO for multiple years? I always thought Jobs saw Cook as someone who could keep things on track for a few weeks-months while he was unavailable, not someone who would actually be responsible for running Apple for multiple years.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
These could be a press release, mini led on my m1 iPad Pro is amazing, oled isn’t gonna bring anything great and thinner ok, we need better software
Bro, mini led is a joke compared to oled
Can they reveal the new CEO already? Interim CEO Cook has far, far outstayed his welcome.

I misremembered. I thought Tim Cook was initially iCEO (like Jobs was upon his return) and he wasn't immediately declared the CEO. Do we know whether Jobs really intended for Cook to be CEO for multiple years? I always thought Jobs saw Cook as someone who could keep things on track for a few weeks-months while he was unavailable, not someone who would actually be responsible for running Apple for multiple years.
Tim Cook doesn’t have anything on Steve Jobs but if we compare him to most other CEO’s replacing him will almost certainly be a downgrade

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Tim Cook has been phenomenal (especially for shareholders). I may not like the product choices or roadmaps, or the way they work on releases, but he is one hell of a CEO. I hate it, but it's a fact. Extraordinary performance by this company year over year. For all the complaining around here, it should be noted they sell a hell of a lot of product. Y'all may complain a lot about him and products, but most of you all crack that wallet. I sound like an amazing fanboy but I am trying to convince myself to go Windows and Android. Apple helps my portfolio, but I hate them as a company.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Not surprised with the length of the event. With the iPad Pro & new Pencil as highlight and the Air getting 12.9/13", expecting nothing else

Reactions: hovscorpion12

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Here is what you can expect:

A prerecorded video with Tim and the gang touting new iPads as if there has never been one before.

I miss the in-person hype and excitement from the pre-Covid days.
To be honest, I wouldn’t mind if they kept doing that. It feels more effective and polished than a live in-person presentation. No clapping or awkward laughter to interrupt the flow of the presentation.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
20 minutes on how Apple is saving the world by being so environmentally friendly (a new feature) and 15 minutes on the new iPads

Yep..

So "eco"..

Here's some slightly tweaked products that are locked down, non upgrade-able and with non user replaceable batteries that are all ever so slightly modified -- just enough to necessitate all new accessory purchases.

The whole schtick is so tired

Reactions: hovscorpion12

B-Mc-C

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2017
Irvine, California
Tim Cook has been phenomenal (especially for shareholders). I may not like the product choices or roadmaps, or the way they work on releases, but he is one hell of a CEO. I hate it, but it's a fact. Extraordinary performance by this company year over year. For all the complaining around here, it should be noted they sell a hell of a lot of product. Y'all may complain a lot about him and products, but most of you all crack that wallet. I sound like an amazing fanboy but I am trying to convince myself to go Windows and Android. Apple helps my portfolio, but I hate them as a company.
AAPL began a lost decade 2.5 years ago. There is so much low hanging fruit that they could gobble up. Accessories for one. Why am I buying a new $150 Belkin nightstand charger about once a year, or a $100+ battery bank almost once a year? FineWoven stuff was a disaster, predictable by anyone with their hands on a pre-production sample; they could have easily just replaced genuine leather with vegan leather. I am trapped in the stock by a single digit cost basis on an enormous number of shares, but I am extracting money out of all this sideways action using options. Hope you are doing the same.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
AAPL began a lost decade 2.5 years ago. There is so much low hanging fruit that they could gobble up. Accessories for one.
Because Steve Jobs was all about accessories, right? or "low hanging fruit"?

It’s easy to complain about lack of innovative products, when you have zero ideas for innovative products yourself. And every time Si make that argument, people complain why Apple don’t introduce some already existing product.

Last edited:

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013

Given we don't have a Steve Jobs clone, who would you prefer instead?

People forget that iPhone is not a once-in-a-decade product. It is a once-in-a-century product. As a commercial success, you need to compare with something like oil. Even the phone itself, or the computer, pales in comparison. Even if Apple never has another hit product, they can ride this train for a hundred years, just like Ford still essentially just makes cars.

Point being, we can't expect any company to invent an iPhone sized product segment every ten years. And Apple has done very, very well in investigating potentials for further growth. It has investigated deeply in the only other existing hardware segment with a similar commercial potential - the car - and decided it does not have anything interesting enough to bring to the table, worth the investment. That is a good CEO decision, because I think they are right. No other hardware segment will have the potential of the iPhone, because they will just be either accessories to it, or poor replacements for certain aspects of it. Cars, houses, clothing and food will not be replaced as a concept, and neither will the smartphone. It fills a role for a digital personal assistant, that has been envisioned in science fiction since before the cell phone was invented.

The only major segment (that might be relevant for Apple, so I'm not counting food or clothes), is services. And Apple has been all over that, in such a major way that governments are stepping in.

I don't see an alternate universe where Apple could have done any better, regardless of who was in charge. And I haven't seen any meaningful(!) suggestions for how they should significantly increase their footprint, all I see are people complaining that they don't fulfill their particular pet peeve. I've seen people argue in all seriousness that the mouse still having a lightning port on the bottom is proof that Tim Cook should be fired. Try seeing the bigger picture for a moment, and you will realize why Tim Cook is repeatedly praised as the role model for other CEO's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.