Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Because Steve Jobs was all about accessories, right? or "low hanging fruit"?

It’s easy to complain about lack of innovative products, when you have zero ideas for innovative products yourself. And every time Si make that argument, people complain why Apple don’t introduce some already existing product.
Let me try and understand your point. You think that no one can criticize Apple, a 2-3 trillion dollar company with a 31 billion dollar annual R&D budget, for their lack of innovation unless they, personally, have better new product idea? And then, after say, the 4th or 5th year in a row of the same phone/pad/watch/Mac with minor spec bumps, you don't think anyone should say, "Well, at least fix this existing thing"?

Please tell me I've got it wrong. If not - if you cannot fathom a circumstance where their lack of innovation can be criticized, then you might want to consider whether you are in a cult.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
34 minutes of iPad announcement followed by a minute of Tim Cook break dancing on iPad Pros massive keyboard while the screen shows an image of Craig Federighi with his hair flopping in the wind.

That would be the dream event

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
The pricing gonna melt your souls.

Not mine, at least

They successfully "innovated" and "penny pinched" the entire product lineup so much that I haven't bought a new Apple product in years and years now.

I'm trying to remember what I actually last bought that was something newly released and/or at MSRP from Apple..

Maybe goes all the way back to the very first Airpods 1 ... I think?

Even my iPhone 13 mini was bought preowned for about 50-60% of MSRP

macconservative

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Tim's announcement "This will be the best iPad that Apple has ever made. Price points $1299-$2199

Saved 35 minutes :)

Seriously though I am ready for new iPad Pro. Have been holding off purchasing for the last couple of months

macconservative

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
It is strange Apple isn't at least doing some of the presentations live in real time. The prerecorded stuff is quite polished and 'safe'. For example, this iPad Pro + Pencil reveal would be great live at 35 minutes.

The Magic Keyboard could be a seperate press release. 💩
It started with the announcements during covid, but I don't think Tim wants to happen to him what happened to Steve Jobs when a couple of the demonstrations failed live

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast
What we need is that whoever is CEO recognizes his own skills, and relies on people that are masters at whichever skills he doesn't have. Steve Jobs needed a logistics and procurement genious, so he had Tim Cook. If Jobs was running logistics and procurement, it is unlikely that Tim would ever have had the chance to become CEO, because the company would be bankrupt by then.

So, the question is whether there is a product guy that Tim can lean on. That product guy doesn't have to become CEO, but if he doesn't exist in the first place, that discussion is moot. So: Exactly which product guy is it, that people want to replace Tim with? Until a new genious steps up, it will have to be more than one person.
I mean it doesn’t seem like any “product guy” even exists within Apple at this point.

Most Apple devices currently have been relatively unchanged for many years. Obviously that’s Tims thing; keep selling the same design for as many years as possible.

It’s good for investors but man is it boring for us consumers. 6 years since the last iPad redesign. The iPhone has looked basically the same since 2020.

No doubt Cook is the all-time master of supply chain logistics, by selling the same design for 5+ years across the board. It’s great for profit.

But it doesn’t show a lot of vision or enthusiasm. I dunno. I miss the days where Apple would redesign and replace a successful product after less than 2 years, just because it was the superior product.

That kind of decision making was exciting. I feel like every current product design is so tired right now. Where’s the excitement?

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
dunno. I miss the days where Apple would redesign and replace a successful product after less than 2 years, just because it was the superior product.

Me too

They are really coasting and I think over time will be more and more vulnerable to truly being disrupted at some point.

Even investor folks should be concerned about this and pressing for something better than what we have been getting the last few years

• Sad
Reactions: gusmula

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I wonder if apple shot the announcement in their 180° format for Vision Pro owners? Would be kinda cool if they did, even though I don't own one yet. Going forward I think all apple product announcements should be shot in 180° for AVP owners. 🤔

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
I mean it doesn’t seem like any “product guy” even exists within Apple at this point.

Most Apple devices currently have been relatively unchanged for many years. Obviously that’s Tims thing; keep selling the same design for as many years as possible.

It’s good for investors but man is it boring for us consumers. 6 years since the last iPad redesign. The iPhone has looked basically the same since 2020.

No doubt Cook is the all-time master of supply chain logistics, by selling the same design for 5+ years across the board. It’s great for profit.

But it doesn’t show a lot of vision or enthusiasm. I dunno. I miss the days where Apple would redesign and replace a successful product after less than 2 years, just because it was the superior product.

That kind of decision making was exciting. I feel like every current product design is so tired right now. Where’s the excitement?
Easy to complain about without suggesting products. If it was true, they would be overtaken by the other, truly innovative companies. Which ones are they, exactly?

er2429

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
I am so ****ing pumped for this event. I have been waiting for iPad Pro OLED since basically the first generation iPad. LFG!!!!

docbop

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Apple will be holding its first event of the year this Tuesday, May 7 at 7 a.m. Pacific Time, with a live stream to be available on Apple.com and on YouTube.

5.7.24-Let-Loose-Event-and-iPad-Feature.jpg

How long will the event be? In his newsletter today, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said the video will have a runtime of "around 35 minutes."

Apple is expected to announce new iPad Pro and iPad Air models, along with updated Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard accessories.

Here are the latest rumors:
The event is taking place just over a month before Apple's annual developers conference WWDC, which runs from June 10 through June 14.

Article Link: Apple Event This Week Expected to Last 'About 35 Minutes'
Being 7am and a iPad event and hopefully something M4 related it was doubtful I would wakeup just for that, but only 35 minutes that means it's going to be a whole lot of nothing iPads snooze. If there is no M4 there isn't much to talk about a new pencil big whoop. I think by this time tomorrow a lot of people will of wished they stayed in bed and got an extra half hour sleep.

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I wish it was a live event to hear people cheering, clapping, and losing their minds when they announce the Calculator app.
Hate to burst your bubble, but I think that we aren't going to be seeing that format come back anytime soon, if ever

If it weren't for covid, Apple probably would have still been doing dub dub and all the other events like this one live

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
My first thought was, 7 AM?
That’s a bit early, even for Apple.
Yeah, sounds like they're making it a little more friendly for those especially in the eastern time zone

It won't be too bad for central either (which is the time zone I happen to be in) as it'll be 9 AM for us

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
That we know of. While the Main OS may get an overhaul at WWDC that fans have been BEGGING for [50/50 chance], tomorrow could come down to apps and appetizer features.
Exactly

I think the reason why Apple decided to make this an event rather than just a press release is so we can get a tiny taste of some of the first new devices that will be getting what should be one of the biggest overhauls to iOS/iPadOS in years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.