Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
How about Bradley Cooper?

I'd have to lose 75 pounds but sure!

Mj0mHUX.jpg

(taken yesterday w/ my new Series 2 watch)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'd have to lose 75 pounds but sure!

Mj0mHUX.jpg

(taken yesterday w/ my new Series 2 watch)

Or Cooper could put on some weight. ;)

Which series 2 watch did you get? I think you may have mentioned it before but don't remember. How is it compared to original watch?

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
How are you liking your series 2? I am loving my Ceramic edition series 2.

Space black 42mm. Grabbed a black nylon at the Apple Store yesterday. Stayed black so it would work with my existing link bracelet.

It's hella fast but that's probably just OS3. The most amazing thing about this Watch is the battery life. It's at 70% when I go to bed. Old watch would be 20-25%.

niijonodhg

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
United Kingdom
Space black 42mm. Grabbed a black nylon at the Apple Store yesterday. Stayed black so it would work with my existing link bracelet.

It's hella fast but that's probably just OS3. The most amazing thing about this Watch is the battery life. It's at 70% when I go to bed. Old watch would be 20-25%.

Yeah the battery life is insane (first time Apple Watch user here) - I'm very impressed by it!

How have we not got a conclusion yet?! I'm a returning Apple user, not had anything Apple since the iPhone 5s for a small period. Now have an iPhone 7 Plus & Apple Watch S2 and loving it. Was really thinking about adding the Apple Care + on my Watch, but after reading through this thread I'm not convinced it's worth the hassle?

Really hope it all works out for you OP and I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Yeah the battery life is insane (first time Apple Watch user here) - I'm very impressed by it!

How have we not got a conclusion yet?! I'm a returning Apple user, not had anything Apple since the iPhone 5s for a small period. Now have an iPhone 7 Plus & Apple Watch S2 and loving it. Was really thinking about adding the Apple Care + on my Watch, but after reading through this thread I'm not convinced it's worth the hassle?

Really hope it all works out for you OP and I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest!

I would honestly still get it. Every now and again all warranty programs have issues like this, but I would expect Apple's to have handled this issue quicker and more efficiently. I have been having a ton of problems with my Pro hardware (MacBook Pros and Mac Pro) and so far AppleCare was a wise investment. I do video editing, so I purchased new (back in 2011) a 15" MacBook Pro. dGPU failed, as now expected. Within 5 years, that machine was replaced with like version of a newer model three times over. AppleCare I think is worth it, but my iPads, iPhones, and Watches have all been really good devices with little to no issues.

I hope this all works out for you OP! I would be devastated to find out that one of my Warranty Plans was canceled with no real reason given. I hope it all gets sorted out, but I hope at the very least Apple extends your warranty for the amount of time you have been without a functional watch. I know the laws here in California dictate they have to do that, but only with California residents if the product was purchased here.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

I know the battery life is amazing. What's great about the Ceramic is I can pretty much use all the bands I had for the SS expect the link. I would not have upgraded if they had not done the Ceramic. I would have just kept running the SS. Loving mine.

Reactions: adamjackson

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
To people on the fence about AppleCare, this isn't me trying to tell everyone that AppleCare isn't worth it. I have it on every single device I own (even my AppleTV). One out of warranty logic board or display failure on a MacBook Pro and you're looking at $1500.

I've seen enough of these that it's worth it to me. Out of warranty Apple Watch SS repair is around $300 (they just replace the watch). Or you can spend $99 and know for 2 years w/ two accidents that you're covered.

I still think the issue with my watch is miscommunication and someone screwing up. we'll see what happens when my watch finally comes in.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Monday 9/26 Update:

tl;dr no change. but given the 7 business days it took to arrive at Depot, I assume I'll see it today or tomorrow get an update. Apple Store Montreal said they'd call me when the watch arrived.

sBRE09u.png

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have a question that was probably answered but I skimmed through and didn't see it.

I realize you travel to Montreal quite a bit. Is there any other reason you aren't choosing to have them deal with this issue stateside? Seems it might alleviate some headache in travel time alone.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I realize you travel to Montreal quite a bit. Is there any other reason you aren't choosing to have them deal with this issue stateside?.

I buy AppleCare over the phone on all of my devices or add it at time of ordering so it's technically accessible to me in USA or Canada.

It's just I go to Montreal once a month if I can so it was fine to do it there. Technically, I'm closer to the NH store. I was actually at the Boylston Boston store on Saturday but I go to Montreal way more than I go to Boston.

I think I'd have the old watch back by now (last week) if I had initiated things in NH. There's also a chance I would have gotten a genius who refused to help me. Luckily, the store I went to helped me and said they'd ignore the lack of AppleCare and send the watch in anyway on a chance.

olyOoZn.jpeg

Also, the Boylston street store is gorgeous! Really loved just browsing around and seeing the Jet Black iPhone for the first time.

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I buy AppleCare over the phone on all of my devices or add it at time of ordering so it's technically accessible to me in USA or Canada.

It's just I go to Montreal once a month if I can so it was fine to do it there. Technically, I'm closer to the NH store. I was actually at the Boylston Boston store on Saturday but I go to Montreal way more than I go to Boston.

I think I'd have the old watch back by now (last week) if I had initiated things in NH. There's also a chance I would have gotten a genius who refused to help me. Luckily, the store I went to helped me and said they'd ignore the lack of AppleCare and send the watch in anyway on a chance.

olyOoZn.jpeg

Also, the Boylston street store is gorgeous! Really loved just browsing around and seeing the Jet Black iPhone for the first time.
Appreciate the response. And, fair enough!

It is a neat store. It's a shame parking is such a PITA there lol. It seems this is the case with most of the flagship stores.

Anyway, best of luck in youre repair. It seems like you are finally getting somewhere :)

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

olyOoZn.jpeg

Did you like the Jet black? That is the one I got, and I am loving mine.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Did you like the Jet black? That is the one I got, and I am loving mine.

It took 60 seconds of rubbing it against my shirt to finally see the finish. If you're a germaphobe, look at a jet black iPhone in the store and feel nauseous immediately. not a single area was w/o fingerprints and it was actually slick with finger oil.

After cleaning it off, it had a great grip, felt awesome and rugged. Lots of surface scratches but that's expected w/ a display model. I think I like my matte black more. The only advantage to jet black would be much higher resale value a year from now assuming you kept it in a case w/o scratches.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It took 60 seconds of rubbing it against my shirt to finally see the finish. If you're a germaphobe, look at a jet black iPhone in the store and feel nauseous immediately. not a single area was w/o fingerprints and it was actually slick with finger oil.

After cleaning it off, it had a great grip, felt awesome and rugged. Lots of surface scratches but that's expected w/ a display model. I think I like my matte black more. The only advantage to jet black would be much higher resale value a year from now assuming you kept it in a case w/o scratches.
Yeah I am still loving mine, but it does get the finger prints all over it. I am cool with that because I love the look of it even if it is a fingerprint magnet

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
One thing I have learned through the years is to disregard the delivery guy's request to not take a picture of him holding the package. It saved me a few times when I felt the package was not right when I got it, after I just signed it and he handed it over and then refuse to take it back because it was signed (and they didn't give it to me first so I couldn't check). I don't care about his privacy, sorry.. I care about my wallet.

But yeah, usually I just take picture of it being delivered, unpacking it video, and if I have to return anything I show it packaged and make sure i have a track/trace and stuff.

Too many times people or companies try to just give you a hard time to avoid having to swap an item out, and having some proof that could lead to evidence in small claims court really helps speed things up.

It sucks when you get so frustrated by feeling confident after paying lots of money for years on insurance that they say 'neh, you are screwed', and you feel helpless, because all they have to do is hang up the phone.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
It sucks when you get so frustrated by feeling confident after paying lots of money for years on insurance that they say 'neh, you are screwed', and you feel helpless, because all they have to do is hang up the phone.

I can relate to this. In my first post, while the level II tech on the phone said his hands were tied, when I said "I guess I'll just have to write about this in my blog and hope someone sees it that can help me" and his first response was, "are you threatening Apple?"

I was completely thrown off. They made a mistake, they tell me I have no recourse and now I'm an aggressor? I was very polite to the guy, didn't raise my voice and simply said "this is all so disappointing and I'm really sad at how you guys handled this" and I'm the person making threats. :(

IT really hurt, I felt completely betrayed by the company I've spent years working for (a long time ago), buying from and recommending to everyone.

Some googling revealed this is a common question by Apple Care. If you say yes, they immediately hang up on you. I've never heard of any other company doing this.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I can relate to this. In my first post, while the level II tech on the phone said his hands were tied, when I said "I guess I'll just have to write about this in my blog and hope someone sees it that can help me" and his first response was, "are you threatening Apple?"

It might be a side effect of the various attempts at class-action lawsuits against Apple recently. Maybe the legal team has advised the phone CS to react in this way? Just a thought.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Hey guys, interesting article I found regarding the legality of suspending someone's warranty. Would highly suggest the OP read it. Might not help, but a little more knowledge never hurt anyone.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal

Speaking of this, here'a a taste of the future for you all:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/automakers-say-you-dont-really-own-your-car

This didn't get pushed into law but it's only a matter of time before they try again. Today, we rent our phones, music, movies, games, server space on Google & Facebook's data centers, we lease our vehicles and we're restricted from fixing anything ourselves.

Look at how many people take their complicated computer-driven vehicles to dealerships now. With copyrights on engine design and ECU, we're entering a world where the independent repair shop for TVs, computers, phones, cars, appliances are all out of business, you buy a new doohickey every 5 years and do all service w/ manufacturer. Built-In Obsolecense

As an Apple fan, I'm deeply torn on the car topic though. I do all of my own work and even have the computer equipment I need to modify my car and run tests on the system via the OBDII port.

(this is separate from this thread and pretty off-topic)

Reactions: bmac4

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I go up to Montreal in a few days. It's difficult to see if they replaced my Apple Watch under warranty or if they're going to charge me the $329.00 replacement fee as indicated by the original repair estimate:

Fz17grr.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.