Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
[rant]Not really following this thread very much since it is an isolated case and everyone seems to be holding this 1 case as the Apple standard. Of course it is 100% to the OP and 'in our face' reading but judging Apple service one way or the other based on sampling statistical base of one is beyond absurd.[/rant]

One odd thing that I noticed in skimming was the OP seems to live in the US but was bought?? and or Apple Care in Canada???. If this is the case it could have red flagged at Apple and caused increased scrutiny since international scams are always a problem for corporations.

If I'm wrong in my understanding (or miss understanding) just disregard this second part and only reference my rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Spring

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
No, they shouldn't. They should solve this case in an appropriate manner and give him a freaking exchange watch.
[doublepost=1473675656][/doublepost]They should make a movie of this case. Like a AAA blockbuster.:D

Solving the case appropriately, considering the extent to which they have messed up, would and should involve some form of compensation.

Reactions: lordofthereef

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
[rant]Not really following this thread very much since it is an isolated case and everyone seems to be holding this 1 case as the Apple standard. Of course it is 100% to the OP and 'in our face' reading but judging Apple service one way or the other based on sampling statistical base of one is beyond absurd.[/rant]

One odd thing that I noticed in skimming was the OP seems to live in the US but was bought?? and or Apple Care in Canada???. If this is the case it could have red flagged at Apple and caused increased scrutiny since international scams are always a problem for corporations.

If I'm wrong in my understanding (or miss understanding) just disregard this second part and only reference my rant.

cliff notes version: he bought the watch in the states (new Hampshire, I believe). was going on a trip to montreal this past weekend, where there is an apple store (closest apple store to him within NH was 2 hours).

took advantage of being in a city with an apple store while already on a trip instead of making a 2 hour trip just to go to apple.

Reactions: adamjackson

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
@adamjackson this is like a film; and I need an ending!
So, looking forward to your feedback once you get more info from Apple. I have to say, nicely done for being persistent with them to get some type of communication and thus a resolution of sorts...

Thanks. I'm just happy that people aren't grabbing their pitch-forks. As mentioned earlier, I used to work for Apple as a Keyholder (a mid-tier retail manager who could open / close the store but wasn't running the store alone). I then went into the startup world and lived in SF. Then I got recruited by a tech company that is an Apple supplier and I moved to new Hampshire where I still live and work. I love Apple, would love to work for them again and love my current job. I won't do anything to get fired over like people suggesting I take them to court. c'mon, I'll just stomach it and buy a new watch before that happens. I love my job too much.

As someone who went to every Macworld / Apple Expo from 2003 - 2009 and went to WWDC from 2007-2010 and went to 2 Apple Events as media (non IDG events) and met Steve twice once at Macworld and another at Cafe Macs having lunch and he held a door for me, I'm a 100% fanboy of Apple. I think I'm owed resolution on this but not at the expense of my reputation or career or my love of Apple's products.

I checked the repair status and my watch hasn't shown up at depot yet. It's unfortunate I'll have to drive back to Canada to pickup the repaired watch but I wasn't sure a USA store would have been as understanding as this one was and I didn't want to take a risk of a USA store denying my issue.

I did file a survey after my last ticket was closed from last week and linked them to this thread. I also forwarded my exchange with the employee Chris to Tim Cook and they are likely following the status of this repair to see how it goes but I have not received any formal response.

I do not want a Series I watch or any freebies. My time is valuable but again, I just want the service that was promised when I bought AppleCare+. Nothing more. A lot of people think Apple owes them something. Apple has given me a lot simply by existing in my career, my computing, my travel is easier with their devices, I make movies, edit photos, author a blog. I don't think Apple owes me anything that wasn't already promised. I'll continue to buy their products and recommend them to friends.

I won't take part in the conversation here much until I have an update since I tend to be too long-winded for most people.

Thank you to Arn and the Macrumors mods for not locking this thread. I appreciate it! It's been my only outlet in this issue so far. Back in the day, Arn went to one of my Macworld parties in SF. He's a great guy and deserves the success MR has had over the years although I think they should rebrand from MacRumors to iOS Rumors some days :p

Have a nice day everyone.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
A lot of people think Apple owes them something. Apple has given me a lot simply by existing in my career, my computing, my travel is easier with their devices, I make movies, edit photos, author a blog. I don't think Apple owes me anything that wasn't already promised. I'll continue to buy their products and recommend them to friends.

This. I'm surprised at the amazing sense of entitlement that many of the forum posters are having on this thread. For me, AppleCare+ has been flawless, and I've never had an issue with the exchange process. I always visit the store though, but I live near many of them.

I don't agree with the brusque treatment you've received, but I also think the reactions of some posters here are overboard, condemning Apple and AppleCare+ for what seems like a mistake amongst otherwise stellar service reported by many others. I'm confident that your issue will get resolved soon.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Thanks. I'm just happy that people aren't grabbing their pitch-forks. As mentioned earlier, I used to work for Apple as a Keyholder (a mid-tier retail manager who could open / close the store but wasn't running the store alone). I then went into the startup world and lived in SF. Then I got recruited by a tech company that is an Apple supplier and I moved to new Hampshire where I still live and work. I love Apple, would love to work for them again and love my current job. I won't do anything to get fired over like people suggesting I take them to court. c'mon, I'll just stomach it and buy a new watch before that happens. I love my job too much.

As someone who went to every Macworld / Apple Expo from 2003 - 2009 and went to WWDC from 2007-2010 and went to 2 Apple Events as media (non IDG events) and met Steve twice once at Macworld and another at Cafe Macs having lunch and he held a door for me, I'm a 100% fanboy of Apple. I think I'm owed resolution on this but not at the expense of my reputation or career or my love of Apple's products.

I checked the repair status and my watch hasn't shown up at depot yet. It's unfortunate I'll have to drive back to Canada to pickup the repaired watch but I wasn't sure a USA store would have been as understanding as this one was and I didn't want to take a risk of a USA store denying my issue.

I did file a survey after my last ticket was closed from last week and linked them to this thread. I also forwarded my exchange with the employee Chris to Tim Cook and they are likely following the status of this repair to see how it goes but I have not received any formal response.

I do not want a Series I watch or any freebies. My time is valuable but again, I just want the service that was promised when I bought AppleCare+. Nothing more. A lot of people think Apple owes them something. Apple has given me a lot simply by existing in my career, my computing, my travel is easier with their devices, I make movies, edit photos, author a blog. I don't think Apple owes me anything that wasn't already promised. I'll continue to buy their products and recommend them to friends.

I won't take part in the conversation here much until I have an update since I tend to be too long-winded for most people.

Thank you to Arn and the Macrumors mods for not locking this thread. I appreciate it! It's been my only outlet in this issue so far. Back in the day, Arn went to one of my Macworld parties in SF. He's a great guy and deserves the success MR has had over the years although I think they should rebrand from MacRumors to iOS Rumors some days :p

Have a nice day everyone.
Awesome post! You have the right mindset for how this should work. You honestly just want what is owned to you, and you are asking Apple to hold up their end of the deal. Can't blame you for that, and I am rooting for you. I like you don't think Apple owes me anything. I have trouble with my local Apple Store over the years, and in fact if there was one close to it, I would avoid it at all cost. They don't offer the customer service I expect from Apple, but every time I have called AppleCare, they are awesome. I think this store just has poor customer service, and I even emailed Tim Cook about it. Never got a response back, but the manager of the store called me and apologized for my bad experience and made things right. I don't expect handout, but I would like the products to work like they are suppose to. Like you, I just ask Apple to hold up there end.

Again I am rooting for you, and thanks for not being one of those crazy people that talks about how terrible Apple is, and how much they have gone down hill. I think it was a mixup that hopefully will get resolved.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
What is the difference between Apple Care and Apple Care+ and how does one get the latter?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Please correct me if I am wrong but I don;t think standard Apple Care is even available on iOS and watch devices?
[doublepost=1473702344][/doublepost]
That's your opinion. I'd call that exaggerated entitlement.
You think having to fight for a repair that you bought protection for doesn't deserve something "extra"? To the extent and time the OP has had to expend and wait (let's assume everything the OP has said is 100% true) I feel like Apple should do more than say "sorry". I don't know that tis is entitlement. He has been battling this thing for weeks now... And all he wanted to do was use on of the two Apple Care claims he purchased and pay a deductible to boot (though my understanding is that this damage shouldn't technically even warrant a deductible collection).

I feel like the compensation should be up to and offered by Apple. But it would greatly surprise me if their method of fixing this didn't involve something beyond a mere apology. I would certainly think much less of a company that I had to fight to receive a product or service from that I had already paid for.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatalogic

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Please correct me if I am wrong but I don;t think standard Apple Care is even available on iOS and watch devices?

That's correct. Part of the confusion stems from some people calling the standard warranty "AC."

Standard warranty = first year warranty that comes with all Apple products.

AppleCare = extends the first year warranty and 90-day phone support by 1-2 years depending on the product.

AppleCare+ = same as AC but with accidental damage protection.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I'll only add to @JayLenochiniMac's response and say that a Standard Apple Warranty for one year comes on pretty much everything you buy from Apple but the Phone, iPad, Watch, Computers and AppleTV have a 90 day telephone warranty, a 1 year service warranty. So let's say I own my iPhone 6S for 6 months and call up. If 1-2 minutes in, the person believes that this is something that can be solved via phone support, they immediately move to a $49 charge to help me with my issue. If they're unable to, the $49 is waived and we proceed to me shipping my device to them (usually they push hard that I come into an Apple Store).

AppleCare is always an extra purchase. I usually buy my computer AppleCare on eBay with no issues but with iOS / AW devices, I call Apple the day the device arrives and add it to my plan or buy at time of purchase. This extends the 1 year service warranty to two years and the 90 day telephone warranty to two years as well.

3-4 years ago, you could pay extra for AppleCare+ starting with iPhone then iPad but now AppleCare and AppleCare+ for iOS / AW are one in the same.

I don't believe AC+ is available for AppleTV or Apple's computers. I have AC/AC+ on every device I own from Apple. AppleTV3, 4, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPod, iPhone 6S, MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 5K iMac. I'll grab an iPad mini 4 in the fall for some home automation projects and get AC on that as well. It's never let me down. Before the Apple Stores were everywhere, I had many iPods and laptops swapped out by Apple straight up w/o any nonsense. iPod Classic HDDs died left & right and Apple always swapped them out. I had an iBook G3 which had numerous electrical issues. It even shocked me once. Apple swapped it out with a new iBook G4 and put AppleCare back on it. above and beyond support so these days going w/o AppleCare is just not something I'd do even with this minor hiccup I'm experiencing.

One more note is that if you bought a computer from Apple and also bought a display (MacBook+ Thunderbolt display) and bought appleCare at the time of purchase, both products were registered under the same agreement which was nice (back when apple sold displays).

Reactions: Nell

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
That's your opinion. I'd call that exaggerated entitlement.

OP is having to take his own time and effort to collect evidence and fight his case with Apple.

I'm sorry but some people on this site hold the opinion that Apple's customer service is flawless and can do no wrong, it's ridiculous.

It is good customer service to offer something along the lines of an apology in a situation like this. I am not saying that should be as extreme as a new watch as some have suggested on here but it would be quite poor to just reinstate AC+ and call it a day.

Klaatu63

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
New Jersey
OP is having to take his own time and effort to collect evidence and fight his case with Apple.

I'm sorry but some people on this site hold the opinion that Apple's customer service is flawless and can do no wrong, it's ridiculous.

It is good customer service to offer something along the lines of an apology in a situation like this. I am not saying that should be as extreme as a new watch as some have suggested on here but it would be quite poor to just reinstate AC+ and call it a day.

The majority of my AppleCare claims/issues have been resolved without a problem . However I did have an Apple Watch issue and a Mac Book Air issue that I resolved by simply leaving the Apple Store and driving to another (only a 10 mile drive). I think that Apple could greatly improve overall customer satisfaction by enabling the Apple Store manager to override the company policy. He/she can verify your puchase history and make the appropriate decision.

Reactions: lordofthereef

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
One more note is that if you bought a computer from Apple and also bought a display (MacBook+ Thunderbolt display) and bought appleCare at the time of purchase, both products were registered under the same agreement which was nice (back when apple sold displays).

I thought it covered one as long as it was bought in the previous 12 months, rather than simply at the same time? same goes for airport express/extreme/time capsules [edit: actually it's two years, meaning you can extend your warranty cover on an airport device up to 4 years 364 days under applecare]

Last edited:

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
It's been 6 days since I dropped off the watch at the Apple Store. Employee says it takes 7-10 days for their watches to process so no concern yet but it looks like Depot hasn't even received the watch yet:

DkoOOsF.png

In other news, grabbed my iPhone 7! Check out that tan-line from the lack of Apple Watch :( I miss the watch so much.

wYFYQoc.jpg

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It's been 6 days since I dropped off the watch at the Apple Store. Employee says it takes 7-10 days for their watches to process so no concern yet but it looks like Depot hasn't even received the watch yet:

DkoOOsF.png

In other news, grabbed my iPhone 7! Check out that tan-line from the lack of Apple Watch :( I miss the watch so much.

wYFYQoc.jpg
Nice! I got my phone this morning as well. Loving the jet black color.

Reactions: adamjackson

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Am glad that you received your iPhone 7 and all that; still waiting on UPS, here.
But, I feel you should give me your shirt ;)

DkoOOsF.png

wYFYQoc.jpg

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
But, I feel you should give me your shirt ;)

Literally giving you guys the shirt off my back LOL. I have close to 100 Apple Shirts as well as other apparel / toys over the years. One of my prized shirts is the Mission Impossible PowerBook G3 Shirt as well as a few posters over the years like the 20th anniversary poster, Picaso, Tiger release, I have a Panther widgets mouse-pad.

<---totally not a fanboy.

This shirt is great though. Breathes really well.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Literally giving you guys the shirt off my back LOL. I have close to 100 Apple Shirts as well as other apparel / toys over the years. One of my prized shirts is the Mission Impossible PowerBook G3 Shirt as well as a few posters over the years like the 20th anniversary poster, Picaso, Tiger release, I have a Panther widgets mouse-pad.

<---totally not a fanboy.

This shirt is great though. Breathes really well.
Shirt, hat, watch ... do you have Apple underwear, pants, socks, and belt too?

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Shirt, hat, watch ... do you have Apple underwear, pants, socks, and belt too?

Yes. Not many old Mac-Geeks on these forums anymore but I'm still holding on. I don't even consider non-Apple products. We're remodeling our house and I have a "no samsung or Sony" rule on my hardware appliances, etc. I haven't touched an Android phone since the original slide out keyboard droid. I just want nothing to do with that world. In apple I trust!! I can't be alone in that but it seems like every day, most people on these forums hate apple and buy Samsung phones.

Here's a photo of the phone I had as a 2nd phone for a while alongside my iPhone 3GS but it was a work phone for testing software. Nothing more:

4561726737_53915cd815_b.jpg

the only Google products I use are Voice & YouTube again, back to the whole privacy and in apple I trust factor. Can you even own an android phone w/o a Google account?

Reactions: magrat22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.