Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Something that really bothers me about this is that there is no detailed explanation in the box they shipped back. They do not bother to provide an explanation or evidence to support their claim that you tampered with or modified the watch (unless I missed something). It seems like they owe you that if they are going to deny your claim and invalidate your AppleCare +.

They gave an explanation "Misuse or Modification" It appears the person who actually handled my watch had an opportunity to be more specific and check a box defining exactly why of 3 choices and chose to leave the paper completely blank.

29456983792_d0dddf3df0_b.jpg

29566619855_3e3fb2257d_b.jpg

To the rest of your statement, I've worked in IT and as a lower level manager at an Apple Store. I know these guys go through awful customers. I was very nice to the guy on the phone and let him know kindly that I do feel this is completely false to be denied my warranty as an AppleCare+ customer. Since I wasn't able to re-open the case, I did reply directly to the person I spoke to on Wednesday. No response yet but this is my message:

Chris, I’m very sorry to bother you on a Friday. I’ve setup an Apple Store appointment for tomorrow at 11AM but I wanted to share the watch’s status in photos since you remarked you couldn’t override depot decision w/o the Apple Watch physically in-hand. I do believe the outcome of my repair request was incorrectly performed. I also see on getsupport.apple.com that my watch’s AppleCare+ Repair Agreement has been cancelled 10 months prematurely as a result.
I’m incredibly disappointed by this.
http://imgur.com/a/LYuBo + <attached if you can't open links>

Can you please help? My case ID is "xxxxxx"
Thanks everyone for keeping things civil in here. Just trying to keep you up to date on the process. I"d love to avoid having to spend an hour at the apple store on Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: sean000

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
It also states you will find your original iphone in that box ;).
Did you find your iphone in it? Might be some new magic trick :).

Reactions: adamjackson

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They gave an explanation "Misuse or Modification" It appears the person who actually handled my watch had an opportunity to be more specific and check a box defining exactly why of 3 choices and chose to leave the paper completely blank.

29456983792_d0dddf3df0_b.jpg

29566619855_3e3fb2257d_b.jpg

To the rest of your statement, I've worked in IT and as a lower level manager at an Apple Store. I know these guys go through awful customers. I was very nice to the guy on the phone and let him know kindly that I do feel this is completely false to be denied my warranty as an AppleCare+ customer. Since I wasn't able to re-open the case, I did reply directly to the person I spoke to on Wednesday. No response yet but this is my message:

Chris, I’m very sorry to bother you on a Friday. I’ve setup an Apple Store appointment for tomorrow at 11AM but I wanted to share the watch’s status in photos since you remarked you couldn’t override depot decision w/o the Apple Watch physically in-hand. I do believe the outcome of my repair request was incorrectly performed. I also see on getsupport.apple.com that my watch’s AppleCare+ Repair Agreement has been cancelled 10 months prematurely as a result.

Can you please help? My case ID is "xxxxxx"​

Honestly, it looks like a mix-up on Apple's part. Contact them and Apple will eventually make it right with you.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Rather than email Tim Cook, I'd write a letter to him. Keep it civil and no longer than a page. I'd be stunned if you don't get a phone call from the Tier 1 support people based in Austin.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I don't have any personal experience with AppleCare, other than I buy it on new computers, but it does seem like a mixup since the paperwork says iPhone. Surely Apple would make standardized forms for each product.

This whole thing seems really odd, and I admire your relative composure. I'd be livid right about now.

DJTJ

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I still don't get it... If i throw my phone in the pool, or smash it on the ground, with ac + $99 and I have a new phone. Is the watch different?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I still don't get it... If i throw my phone in the pool, or smash it on the ground, with ac + $99 and I have a new phone. Is the watch different?

Yes, because it's IPX7-rated whereas the iPhone isn't (at least the previous generations). They have to warranty water-damaged AWs that fail to live up to the advertised IPX7 rating due to a manufacturing defect, and many MR members have swapped out their water-damaged AWs under the standard warranty.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
It's kind of silly, but how do you know that Tim Cook wears his AW in the shower?

via: (with google translate)

"According to the report that is in us, the boss explained that Apple now always wore his watch "even in the shower." Casually, it's since Apple never provided info on the tolerance of his watch in water: rather dog or cat instead? We just have a visual on the site with a sporty wet arm, but no swimming scenes."

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
The top part were the water damage is, it almost looks like the screen is separating from the case. That may have been why think you did something to misuse it?
Right! When I first suggested that showering with a first series Apple Watch is a risky thing to do, whether Tim Cook does it or not or posters on this thread do it or not, there was a general denial that this could be the problem. There is clear evidence of of water damage under the charging module of this watch.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon

Can you please help? My case ID is "xxxxxx"
Thanks everyone for keeping things civil in here. Just trying to keep you up to date on the process. I"d love to avoid having to spend an hour at the apple store on Saturday.
Wish you well on the trip.

You might want to find your proof of purchase/activation for your AppleCare+ just in case and take it with you

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Well, going to cancel my AppleCare for the iPhone 7 and Watch2. Hope you get some help OP. Going to send a link to this thread to Apple Support's twitter page.

Reactions: upnorth85

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
That's a considerable overreaction and certainly not a wise one. This is a peculiar case and has many unexplained aspects.

Yeah, but if Apple can cancel Applecare without any explanation & no right of appeal based on the subjective judgment of a low-level employee, what guaranteed benefit does it have?

I have Applecare on my 6s+ & ordered it with the series 2 watch. But, this thread has given me second thoughts.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yeah, but if Apple can cancel Applecare without any explanation & no right of appeal based on the subjective judgment of a low-level employee, what guaranteed benefit does it have?

I have Applecare on my 6s+ & ordered it with the series 2 watch. But, this thread has given me second thoughts.

We do not know if this is merely a mix-up. Sending the OP a paperwork meant for the iPhone indicates that it's a mix-up. Apple always make it right if it's an error from their end, and we have yet to hear back from the OP.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Well then, might as well cancel your orders for the watch and phone as well. I hear the watch back falls off and the phone bends!

Last edited:

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
That's a considerable overreaction and certainly not a wise one. This is a peculiar case and has many unexplained aspects.

What's considerable? The AC+ coverage itself is only a gamble that my phone would get damaged during the first year of ownership (I upgrade yearly).
[doublepost=1473609266][/doublepost]
Well then, might as well cancel your orders for the watch and phone as well. I hear the watch back falls off and the phone bends!

Jeez, so if I don't buy EVERYTHING that Apple sells, I shouldn't buy anything!? Some people just chug that kool-aid non-stop.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
What's considerable? The AC+ coverage itself is only a gamble that my phone would get damaged during the first year of ownership (I upgrade yearly).

Then you need to say you're canceling AC+ because you don't think it's worth the price/risk (and many people including myself don't buy AC+). You look silly jumping the gun based on the incomplete outcome of this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.