Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Last update for tonight, despite putting in a hold @ fedex location at 9:30P last night, FedEx still tried to delivery my watch to the house today

W0GFLUG.png

I have a door-tag on my house.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Good luck OP. I find this situation a little bit wild and have been following it.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but you can try gathering up all of your evidence and sending a massive message to tcook@apple.com.
While it's a rudimentary channel for submitting these kinds of things, it's a way that could bump you up in service support - I once complained about a broken Lightning cord that the guts got pulled out of and that the store wouldn't remedy, then received a phone call about two days later from a nice gentleman who took down my information and sent me a replacement cord without trouble.

Last edited:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Good luck OP. I find this situation a little bit wild and have been following it.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but you can try gathering up all of your evidence and sending a massive message to tcook@apple.com.
While it's a rudimentary channel for submitting these kinds of things, it's a way that could bump you up in service support - I once complained about a broken Lightning cord that the guts got pulled out of and that the store wouldn't remedy then received a phone call about two days later from a nice gentleman who took down my information and sent me a replacement cord without trouble.

I emailed Cook also... a few days later i get an email from some senior FCP developer and wanted to send a drive out etc. It turns out that I just use a ton of PNGs in my edits and it caused it to slow down the system and a bug fix was issued in the next update.

Reactions: adamjackson

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Once I get watch back and the Montreal store comments on the issue on Saturday, if I'm still left holding an Apple Watch that has a failed screen, I'll have to take the email tim route.

Reactions: puckhead193

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Unfortunately, both iPhones and watches now need to be mailed in for repair. I blame it on all the people who abused the system (imaginary screen blemishes, fishing for a TSMC chip, microscope defects in the aluminum case, ...). I was shocked when I learned both phones/watches are mail in repairs now.
Since when? Because a couple of weeks ago I got my iPhone 6 fixed on the spot in an Apple Store because of the "spiderweb app". Took them 2 hours or so. Very convenient.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Picked up the watch from FedEx. Looks exactly like it did when I dropped it off. No signs of mis-use or damage that exceeds a $69 AppleCare+ Incident:

5AAu5aU.jpg

xyPbw6D.jpg

swEkBrO.jpg
WUcPcpK.jpg

wZ7EVI6.jpg

ZhP7cIR.jpg

FPVvXqu.jpg

uBV5cAO.jpg

See Apple's definition of Misuse - Modifications:

ineligible-warranty-apple-watch-800x184-png.649197

Finally: I just logged into AppleCare and saw this:

29273274180_9bb8c4f0af_b.jpg

Reactions: Dwalls90

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Picked up the watch from FedEx. Looks exactly like it did when I dropped it off. No signs of mis-use or damage that exceeds a $69 AppleCare+ Incident:

5AAu5aU.jpg

xyPbw6D.jpg

swEkBrO.jpg
WUcPcpK.jpg

wZ7EVI6.jpg

ZhP7cIR.jpg

FPVvXqu.jpg

uBV5cAO.jpg

See Apple's definition of Misuse - Modifications:

ineligible-warranty-apple-watch-800x184-png.649197

Finally: I just logged into AppleCare and saw this:

29273274180_9bb8c4f0af_b.jpg
The top part were the water damage is, it almost looks like the screen is separating from the case. That may have been why think you did something to misuse it?

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
The top part were the water damage is, it almost looks like the screen is separating from the case. That may have been why think you did something to misuse it?

It looks that way from the photos but the connection is completely flush. Here's a few more angles:

http://imgur.com/a/LYuBo

I think I have to visit a store. AppleCare online says my warranty is null now.
[doublepost=1473430972][/doublepost]When I put it in the mail, the dot was slightly smaller than this:

btX6ZZA.jpg

What's disheartening is a writer at Macworld Online had a watch that looked like this and an Apple employee told her it would have been covered as an Applecare+ Incident. Mine is no where near that kind of damage:

apple-watch-broken-100648716-large.png

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
WOW.... right now, in this case... apple just SUCKS!

I mean... I believed you anyways... (got impatient waiting for you to pick it up from fedex... but I'm a delivery watcher and was channeling your tracking progress!) but seeing the pictures.. just like WOW!

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
WOW.... right now, in this case... apple just SUCKS!

I mean... I believed you anyways... (got impatient waiting for you to pick it up from fedex... but I'm a delivery watcher and was channeling your tracking progress!) but seeing the pictures.. just like WOW!

The fact that Applecare shows my warranty as invalidated makes me want to cry. I hope I can find a sympathetic genius who sees the warranty as invalid and agrees to work with me anyway. Otherwise, this $1099 AppleCare+ Apple Watch that's only a year old is not even heavy enough to be a door-stop.

I have AppleCare active on
AppleTV 4th gen
15" MacBook Pro Retina
5K iMac
iPad Pro
iPhone 6S
iPad Air 2

Apple Watch - Invalidated. sigh :(

Reactions: upnorth85

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
The fact that Applecare shows my warranty as invalidated makes me want to cry. I hope I can find a sympathetic genius who sees the warranty as invalid and agrees to work with me anyway. Otherwise, this $1099 AppleCare+ Apple Watch that's only a year old is not even heavy enough to be a door-stop.

I hope things can get resolved when you go into a store (and speak to a manager like the poster above said!). If not.. you REALLY need to do the tim cook email thing... a lot of people post getting satisfaction by writing him for really stupid stuff.... you have a legit issue.... so hope, if the store doesn't work.. that timmy's email does!

Reactions: adamjackson

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
When I put it in the mail, the dot was slightly smaller than this:

btX6ZZA.jpg

Yup, this was exactly the issue I had, and they replaced it on the spot for me. I'd definitely visit a store again, but given that online your warranty has been deregisterd, you're going to have to go to greater lengths I think.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
wow, what an ordeal. hopefully it get's worked out. the closest apple store near me is 2.5hrs away. past warranty repairs I've been lucky and mailed them off and got my iPhone back within a few days.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
wow, what an ordeal. hopefully it get's worked out. the closest apple store near me is 2.5hrs away. past warranty repairs I've been lucky and mailed them off and got my iPhone back within a few days.

This is my problem. It's 2 hours to a store and being an old-school Mac user, I've always just sent in my devices. No Back of House Retail delays, them shipping it to depot and me having to go back to the store to pick it up. Apple overnights a box, I put device in and get it back 71 hours later to my door-step.

Seems to have back-fired. Maybe this employee was just having a bad-day?

Reactions: WynterB

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
This is my problem. It's 2 hours to a store and being an old-school Mac user, I've always just sent in my devices. No Back of House Retail delays, them shipping it to depot and me having to go back to the store to pick it up. Apple overnights a box, I put device in and get it back 71 hours later to my door-step.

Seems to have back-fired. Maybe this employee was just having a bad-day?
Just a question. Why didn't to request an express replacement since you had AC+? Then you could have just sent your watch back after getting the new one. Worst case you pay the $69 for the damage.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I Clicked the link in the email to re-open the case and wasn't able to. I used the email they used to email me that notice that the case was closed:

28941454563_e0cfdab25c_b.jpg

29530623476_8492aebe52_b.jpg

I've been black-bagged :(
[doublepost=1473435001][/doublepost]
Just a question. Why didn't to request an express replacement since you had AC+? Then you could have just sent your watch back after getting the new one. Worst case you pay the $69 for the damage.

Because I didn't want to pay if there was a chance it would be covered. I wrote in the notes that I was happy to pay if it was deemed a repair incident beyond standard warranty. Like most have said, Tim showers with his iPhone so I assumed it was covered. If I had chosen to make it an incident, Apple was going to charge me right there and I would have paid w/o it being necessary.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Apple Watch - Invalidated. sigh :(

Maybe it is not heavy enough to be used as a door stop, but it will make one very stylish paperweight! :D
Sorry...I know this must be incredibly frustrating and disappointing. I hope you find a favorable resolution soon (as in a full replacement... hopefully with the deductible waived because of the trouble they put you through).

Something that really bothers me about this is that there is no detailed explanation in the box they shipped back. They do not bother to provide an explanation or evidence to support their claim that you tampered with or modified the watch (unless I missed something). It seems like they owe you that if they are going to deny your claim and invalidate your AppleCare +.

It stinks to make the 2+ hour trek to the Apple Store, and they may or may not be able to help. Speaking as an IT customer service manager, I would probably take this approach: Call Apple Support and ask to speak with a manager. You may need to explain the situation to the first person you talk to, and then explain it again to the Manager and one or two others (in case you are transferred from one manager to another). You might as well go away and write a clear and concise script of what happened since you will be repeating this script. Always be calm and polite (you sound like you are that way anyway) but also be firm. Ask the manager what he/she would do in your situation. Always ask what the next step will be before you hang up the phone. If the manager says they can't help you, ask for the contact information for (or to be transferred to) a director or department head. Don't be afraid to tell them how incredibly frustrated and upset you are with Apple Support, but do so calmly. You want to make them your ally, because there is always something that can be done if the person you are talking to believes you. It's just a matter of convincing that person to move you on to someone who has the authority to make a judgement call in your favor.

If Apple refuses to help then I'd probably email Tim Cook and check on small claims court as an option. Contact the Better Business Bureau as well. I have read about cases where Apple resolved a BBB complaint. I don't think the BBB would look favorably on a consumer being denied warranty coverage without an explanation or evidence to show why.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Sean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.