Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Then you need to say you're canceling AC+ because you don't think it's worth the price/risk (and many people including myself don't buy AC+). You look silly jumping the gun based on the incomplete outcome of this thread.

Nope, I bought it with my iPhone 7 and Watch2 order. Opened chat and had it cancelled because of what I've read in this thread. Is it that difficult for you to understand that people can AND do take people's treatment and testimony into consideration when buying/cancelling services?

Reactions: upnorth85

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Nope, I bought it with my iPhone 7 and Watch2 order. Opened chat and had it cancelled because of what I've read in this thread. Is it that difficult for you to understand that people can AND do take people's treatment and testimony into consideration when buying/cancelling services?

Mix-ups are inevitable when there are millions of AC+ cases. You might as well never buy Apple's products. They might mix up your orders too.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This seems like an incredible royal completely unacceptable mixup (if that is what it is). I would hope that it takes more to cancel a persons Apple care than one dude making a whoopsie.

I have personally seen more and more complaints here and Apple walking farther away from replacing phones (I realize this is a watch forum but I frequent phone forums more) on the spot. What used to be the leading clearly BEST service in the business is slowly just becoming like everyone else.

I am very curious how this is resolved. At this point this is just a very committed troll or Apple repeatedly and seriously effing things up. FWIW this scenario is exactly what gets me paranoid about shipping something out for return/repair. I feel like I am at the complete and utter mercy of whomever decides to handle the hardware I paid for. That's not Apple, that's everywhere.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I did buy Apple Care for my Apple watch. Today we ordered two series two stainless steel watches but no Apple+ care. I am pretty shocked at the way the OP was treated. Companies do make mistakes. Companies that win are those that admit a mistake was made and right their customer. I rarely read full threads, but I have been keenly reading every update to this thread. It is only when things go wrong you can see the failings of customer service. I also ordered an iPhone 7+ but no Apple Care+. Agreed this is a small sample size, but even one case like this does make people reconsider discretionary purchases of extended service like Shareef777 did in this thread.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
OP hasn't posted back since he said he's going to the Genius Bar. If he posts back saying the visit to Genius Bar resolved the issue, will those of you who have cancelled or didn't buy Apple Care + rethink your decisions?

Reactions: nicho

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
OP hasn't posted back since he said he's going to the Genius Bar. If he posts back saying the visit to Genius Bar resolved the issue, will those of you who have cancelled or didn't buy Apple Care + rethink your decisions?

I think he said this was a bike trip he planned to make... so if that's the case... i'm sure he's busy having fun doing that and will get back to us once back home/at work! he's done a good job of keeping us informed!

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Mix-ups are inevitable when there are millions of AC+ cases. You might as well never buy Apple's products. They might mix up your orders too.

Except I can get my money back if the order is mixed up. This guy lost out on AC+ and can't get any money back.

Yes. As insignificant as this may seem in the grand scheme of things, that's all it takes sometimes. Not saying it's the brightest thing to do, but I posted on Apple's support twitter page that this case alone got me to cancel my AC+ and if they right this, then I'll re-buy. If anyone's argument, is why change things because of just ONE person then the world wouldn't get very far.

Reactions: upnorth85

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
@adamjackson Well? :) Wasn't your appointment a few hours ago? What happened? :)

Good evening. I don't have a completed update yet but I do have something.

I drove up to an Apple Store in Montreal. I won't list which one for now. I gave the employee my entire ordeal and he stopped me to say that let's pretend like I didn't already send in the watch. He was going to ignore that I said that and do what he could to help me out. Basically, I'm an off-the-street guy who has a cancelled AppleCare+ Plan on watch and some water damage. He was going to send the watch in like it was a fresh issue. Here's an overview of the work:

29329085010_2f6af17dd9_b.jpg

He said that while it says I owe $329 since it's out of warranty, that he would add notes to help my case. The only real issue is the watch once repaired will be sent back to Montreal. Quite a drive from me (3 hours) but I don't mind going to canada. The exchange rate is GREAT right now. GF and I usually grab a bunch of wine while there. He said it'll be back at some point next week and they'd call me with an outcome. Honestly, if I end up owing $329, I'm just going to forfeit the watch and let Apple's recycling program deal with it.

A follow up to this email that I sent to the level II contact at Apple I spoke to last week (Wednesday) when I got the return email:
Chris, I’m very sorry to bother you on a Friday. I’ve setup an Apple Store appointment for tomorrow at 11AM but I wanted to share the watch’s status in photos since you remarked you couldn’t override depot decision w/o the Apple Watch physically in-hand. I do believe the outcome of my repair request was incorrectly performed. I also see on getsupport.apple.com that my watch’s AppleCare+ Repair Agreement has been cancelled 10 months prematurely as a result.
I’m incredibly disappointed by this.
http://imgur.com/a/LYuBo + <attached if you can't open links>

Can you please help? My case ID is "xxxxxx"​

I received a response today (on a Sunday, no less!)

29329084870_215a73910d_b.jpg

What's interesting is he has CCed another person at Apple on this..a new name to me. He also says my previously cancelled repair agreement is now active again. But on GetSupport.apple.com, I see this:

Repairs and Service Coverage: Expired
Our records indicate that your product is not covered under Apple's Limited warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for hardware repairs and service based on the estimated expiration date.​

My phone support is still active until May, 2017.

So...it's an update but I won't know until the Montreal store calls me if everything has worked out. a store employee and Back of House manager both looked at my watch, saw it boot up (for me to un-pair it) and tested out all of the features. They agreed that the product did not show any mis-use or modifications.

I do feel like the guy @ Apple I dealt with is just sort of following up because he has to. I won't bother him anymore because he's just doing his job. I looked up the guy he CCed on email and it seems it's just his boss he CCed (a telecommunications project manager)

I still think this is under warranty at least a part of my AppleCare+ Incidents that I'm ready to gladly pay for. I hope Apple makes this right.
[doublepost=1473640094][/doublepost]
At this point this is just a very committed troll .

That's why I keep posting screenshots. It's really easy for an internet anonymous person to make stuff up but I'm trying to be as transparent as possible.
[doublepost=1473640217][/doublepost]
I think he said this was a bike trip he planned to make... so if that's the case... i'm sure he's busy having fun doing that and will get back to us once back home/at work! he's done a good job of keeping us informed!

It was a blast! Lots of off-roading. Went up to ride with these guys. 40 bikes on some beautiful twisty back-roads.

https://www.facebook.com/events/941898785935881/?active_tab=posts

14207638_10157692939325001_7473738238199954029_o.jpg

I love Canadians. Get up there as much as I can. Aside from Belgians, Canadians are just wonderful people and very kind. I told a few people I was planning on driving home last night and both offered their couch up for me. Complete strangers. The good exchange rate right now does help. :) Total driving yesterday was 700 miles, over 17 hours on the bike. 4:30AM to 10:30PM.

Took my baby up:

28457417253_7f1a69b3d1_b.jpg

See guys, I'm a real person. Not hiding anything. Just want my AppleCare+ to actually get utilized :(

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Good evening. I don't have a completed update yet but I do have something.

I drove up to an Apple Store in Montreal. I won't list which one for now. I gave the employee my entire ordeal and he stopped me to say that let's pretend like I didn't already send in the watch. He was going to ignore that I said that and do what he could to help me out. Basically, I'm an off-the-street guy who has a cancelled AppleCare+ Plan on watch and some water damage. He was going to send the watch in like it was a fresh issue. Here's an overview of the work:

29329085010_2f6af17dd9_b.jpg

He said that while it says I owe $329 since it's out of warranty, that he would add notes to help my case. The only real issue is the watch once repaired will be sent back to Montreal. Quite a drive from me (3 hours) but I don't mind going to canada. The exchange rate is GREAT right now. GF and I usually grab a bunch of wine while there. He said it'll be back at some point next week and they'd call me with an outcome. Honestly, if I end up owing $329, I'm just going to forfeit the watch and let Apple's recycling program deal with it.

A follow up to this email that I sent to the level II contact at Apple I spoke to last week (Wednesday) when I got the return email:

I received a response today (on a Sunday, no less!)

29329084870_215a73910d_b.jpg

What's interesting is he has CCed another person at Apple on this..a new name to me. He also says my previously cancelled repair agreement is now active again. But on GetSupport.apple.com, I see this:

Repairs and Service Coverage: Expired
Our records indicate that your product is not covered under Apple's Limited warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for hardware repairs and service based on the estimated expiration date.​

My phone support is still active until May, 2017.

So...it's an update but I won't know until the Montreal store calls me if everything has worked out. a store employee and Back of House manager both looked at my watch, saw it boot up (for me to un-pair it) and tested out all of the features. They agreed that the product did not show any mis-use or modifications.

I do feel like the guy @ Apple I dealt with is just sort of following up because he has to. I won't bother him anymore because he's just doing his job. I looked up the guy he CCed on email and it seems it's just his boss he CCed (a telecommunications project manager)

I still think this is under warranty at least a part of my AppleCare+ Incidents that I'm ready to gladly pay for. I hope Apple makes this right.
[doublepost=1473640094][/doublepost]

That's why I keep posting screenshots. It's really easy for an internet anonymous person to make stuff up but I'm trying to be as transparent as possible.
[doublepost=1473640217][/doublepost]

It was a blast! Lots of off-roading. Went up to ride with these guys. 40 bikes on some beautiful twisty back-roads.

https://www.facebook.com/events/941898785935881/?active_tab=posts

14207638_10157692939325001_7473738238199954029_o.jpg

I love Canadians. Get up there as much as I can. Aside from Belgians, Canadians are just wonderful people and very kind. I told a few people I was planning on driving home last night and both offered their couch up for me. Complete strangers. The good exchange rate right now does help. :) Total driving yesterday was 700 miles, over 17 hours on the bike. 4:30AM to 10:30PM.

Took my baby up:

28457417253_7f1a69b3d1_b.jpg

See guys, I'm a real person. Not hiding anything. Just want my AppleCare+ to actually get utilized :(
I want you to know (because it matters to me, if nothing else lol) that I wasn't trying to imply your a troll. Rather than quote every naysayer I just wanted to point out that it's difficult to completely rule things out, but also difficult to believe Apple could drop the ball this freaking hard. I'm having trouble imagining what it would take for Apple to fix this if I were in your shoes.
[doublepost=1473641181][/doublepost]
Not necessarily. It it's indeed a mix-up as many suspect, Apple will make it right and restore his AC+.
Or Apple stands by their ground (which they have done in the last with faulty water detection sensors) and the user is screeed unless he takes them to court (which is ultimately what resolved those issues in the first place). Let's very much hope that your scenario is what pans out because the matter is awful lol.
[doublepost=1473641235][/doublepost]Also, if I may ask, why Montreal? There are two Apple stores (at least) in NH.

Reactions: adamjackson

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Also, if I may ask, why Montreal? There are two Apple stores (at least) in NH.

I was going up anyway. On Friday morning, I checked every Apple Store within 2 hours and none had any appointments open until Monday morning. I was going to be in Montreal anyway and luckily, one of the 4 stores had a Saturday opening before the moto-event.

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I was going up anyway. On Friday morning, I checked every Apple Store within 2 hours and none had any appointments open until Monday morning. I was going to be in Montreal anyway and luckily, one of the 4 stores had a Saturday opening before the moto-event.
I actually caught that reading up anbit after I asked lol. I appreciate the response anyway. Hopefully Apple handles this. Would be great if you find out what caused the mixup but I'd be shocked if you ever get that much info. I'm rotting for you :)

Reactions: adamjackson

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Or Apple stands by their ground (which they have done in the last with faulty water detection sensors) and the user is screeed unless he takes them to court (which is ultimately what resolved those issues in the first place). Let's very much hope that your scenario is what pans out because the matter is awful lol.

That's inconsistent with what 100% of MR members with water-damaged AWs have reported so far. All of them have been able to swap them out under warranty so there's something else going on. We do not know the whole story.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That's inconsistent with what 100% of MR members with water-damaged AWs have reported so far. All of them have been able to swap them out under warranty so there's something else going on. We do not know the whole story.
That's fine. I'm just saying there is precedent if the company erroneously dismissing potentially thousands of hardware failures as user error. If there wasn't that precedent I would absolutely be less Concerned.

I don't deny there is something else going on. That's pretty clear. The concern is what, why, and how it will be remedied.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
That's fine. I'm just saying there is precedent if the company erroneously dismissing potentially thousands of hardware failures as user error. If there wasn't that precedent I would absolutely be less Concerned.

I don't deny there is something else going on. That's pretty clear. The concern is what, why, and how it will be remedied.

Don't bother. To some people, Apple can do no wrong. The simple fact of the matter is that people can accidentally run over their watch with their car and it'd be covered by AC+ (with deductible of course). Why the OP had his support completely abandoned is the issue. He has posted plenty of evidence to show that he's just like any of us and for Apple to completely dismiss him and worse yet, make him run around in circles to get the support he's OWED and ENTITLED to is crazy.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Apple care is great, until it isn't.
A while back I had an Apple Store damage my iMac during a repair, and not take responsibility. After weeks of back and forth and a letter to Tim Cook I was able to reach someone at Apple high enough to help me out.
They ended up replacing the iMac for a new one including Apple Care. I told the This was the worst repair experience of my life and I don't want the Apple Care since I will not deal with that (only) Apple Store again. They ended up refunding my Apple Care as well.

To this day, I will not buy Apple Care on any thing.

MadeByApple

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
Last week, I did my normal routine. I got up and put on my watch, a Stainless Steel 42MM Space Black Watch. I was wearing the (RED) Sport Band that day and took a shower as I did since receiving the watch on May 21st, 2015.

Around lunch, I tried to interact with the watch and couldn't. The watch wouldn't react to my gestures on the top 30% of the screen. I rebooted a few times and then reinstalled the WatchOS itself. I was running the latest version of iOS9 and WatchOS 2.

I tried to set a passcode and couldn't since my passcode starts with a 2, the top 40% of my screen was not responding to taps.

I submitted a Self Service ticket with Apple and chose there was an issue with the screen. The prompt said "error, please call us at 1-800-275-2273" so I just hit the back-button and chose something arbitrary like battery / charging and wrote in the notes the screen was having issues and I wanted it looked at.

I chose "Warranty Item" not the option for "I'll pay for Apple Care+ since this incident was caused by accidental damage". I didn't think I needed to pay but I assumed they'd call me if I needed to.

I sent the watch in on Tuesday. It's Wednesday and I just received this in my Inbox:

29419725962_a0c54e7139_b.jpg

I immediately called, a level two support engineer answered and read over the notes. In short, here are some lines he gave me
  • My hands are tied
  • I didn't see the watch in person and I can't override what the guys at depot decided
  • You no longer have a warranty for this item
  • You can't pay anything to have it repaired
  • mention of modifications is very severe, we rarely see this so something must have been modified
  • i.e. stickers, paint, removing the watch screen, modifying the electronics or jailbreaking (his words, not mine, I didn't know you could jailbreak a watch)
  • You can try to take it to a store but you have almost no chance of having this over turned.
I only used Apple Official Watch Bands (Link, Milanese, Sport), I registered my AppleCare+ Warranty 5 minutes after receiving the watch. I've never modified it or installed WatchOS Betas. I only use the Apple Watch charger that came with the phone. There are no scratches on the watch at all. The jog wheel and button work perfectly. The screen is scratch free w/ no blemishes. The health features all worked fine before I mailed the unit to them. I've never called Apple with a watch issue before.

The only extra thing that was different from my repair notes is the day I didn't wear the watch waiting for the box from Apple to arrive, I heard a slight whining sound coming from the speaker if you put the watch to your ear and tapped the screen. I assumed this was just a fallout from the droplet of water that got in the phone and a small black spot had appeared on the screen behind the sapphire crystal outer layer that I couldn't get rid of.

-----

I am beyond upset. I worked at a store and was respectful with the guy on the phone. I did ask him if I had any other options and he said no. I jokingly said "well I guess I'll be a millennial and post a video to YouTube showing the device isn't modified in any way in hopes someone higher up sees it". His response was, "are you threatening apple?"

am I threatening apple? What does he even mean by that? Is that just an easy way for them to be able to hang up w/o any recourse?

I'm without an Apple Watch and basically spent $1100 + $150 in bands and $99 in AppleCare for 14 months. I never abused the watch, put stickers on it or defaced it.

I don't even really know what to do but this is my only outlet so here we are. Apple really let me down. Like severely just a punch in the stomach. I spend 5 grand a year on Apple Hardware and Services since 2000 when I got my first iBook. Every phone, Watch, iPad, iPod and accessory. I even bought one of those Apple Hi-Fi systems. I just feel completely sucker punched by someone @ Depot who was just having a bad-day.

Email Tim Cook. He won't read it, but one of his assistants will definitely look into it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Don't bother. To some people, Apple can do no wrong. The simple fact of the matter is that people can accidentally run over their watch with their car and it'd be covered by AC+ (with deductible of course). Why the OP had his support completely abandoned is the issue. He has posted plenty of evidence to show that he's just like any of us and for Apple to completely dismiss him and worse yet, make him run around in circles to get the support he's OWED and ENTITLED to is crazy.

Nobody is saying Apple can do no wrong. It's very simple. There was a mix-up in the system that triggered the OP's AW as being misused or modified, and his AC+ was canceled as a result. The OP took it in and the manager agreed that it does not show any misuse or modification, and it looks like they've restored his AC+.

Just a rare screw-up in the system, that's all. Their sending paperwork meant for the iPhone (with none of the boxes checked) for the OP's AW is the clearest indication that there was a mix-up in the system. It does not appear that they've actually determined that the OP mis-used or modified his AW and canceled his AC+ coverage as a result.

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
This is terrible OP. If it was me I would not be happy with getting my old watch back. I would expect at least the upgraded series 1.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Yeah, even if it's just an innocent mistake Apple needs to do more than simply repair your watch.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
This is why I don't get AppleCare. They should really give you a free Apple Watch Series 2 Steel at this point.
No, they shouldn't. They should solve this case in an appropriate manner and give him a freaking exchange watch.
[doublepost=1473675656][/doublepost]They should make a movie of this case. Like a AAA blockbuster.:D

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yeah, even if it's just an innocent mistake Apple needs to do more than simply repair your watch.
There may be some additional compensation made to the OP - if he does write that escalation letter to Tim. (I'd wait until this is finally complete, so you're able to give the entire story). There's a gap in their process that they need to fix. One tech at the repair centre's fat-fingered mistake in processing this shouldn't be allowed to have repercussions like this. Each case that would have such dire consequences for the customer should at least be subject to a second set of eyes before the wheels are set in motion.

This is what that letter will accomplish - a review of the process - potentially saving anyone else from going through similar trauma. (and, maybe @adamjackson will get a nice thank you gift from Apple....better to not expect one and be pleasantly surprised if they do).

Reactions: KentuckyHouse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.