Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
That's a new one for me. What does that mean?
Live authentically? Pretty commonly used turn of phrase. It means being who you are, and in this specific context not pretending to be something you are not to appease people who have a problem with who you are or who you love.

Or is it the celebrating part of that that’s a new one? If that’s the case, then I’d refer to the second definition of “celebrate” in the Cambridge dictionary: “to express admiration and approval for something or someone”. As in they can admire and approve of the fact that, irregardless of people who make my sexuality a point of contention and disapprove of it in any of a number of ways, I am not ashamed of it and will walk down the street holding my boyfriend’s hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: VisceralRealist

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Live authentically? Pretty commonly used turn of phrase. It means being who you are, and in this specific context not pretending to be something you are not to appease people who have a problem with who you are or who you love.

Or is it the celebrating part of that that’s a new one? If that’s the case, then I’d refer to the second definition of “celebrate” in the Cambridge dictionary: “to express admiration and approval for something or someone”. As in they can admire and approve of the fact that, irregardless of people who make my sexuality a point of contention and disapprove of it in any of a number of ways, I am not ashamed of it and will walk down the street holding my boyfriend’s hand.
Do you need an Apple Watch face or band to do this? Is it necessary to rely on some company to validate you? In the 90s gay people didnt need watch bands, or parades, or anything else to validate them. They just simply lived how they wanted and didnt bother others about it. These companies are using these issues to make money and push agendas. It's absurd.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Do you need an Apple Watch face or band to do this? Is it necessary to rely on some company to validate you? In the 90s gay people didnt need watch bands, or parades, or anything else to validate them. They just simply lived how they wanted and didnt bother others about it. These companies are using these issues to make money and push agendas. It's absurd.
I was gay in the 90s. The reason I didn’t “bother others about it” was because of the widespread disapproval. Every co-worker would go on about their spouse but if you were gay and mentioned your spouse you were immediately an activist and things got quiet. That’s my experience. I wouldn’t say I was living the way I wanted.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I was gay in the 90s. The reason I didn’t “bother others about it” was because of the widespread disapproval. Every co-worker would go on about their spouse but if you were gay and mentioned your spouse you were immediately an activist and things got quiet. That’s my experience. I wouldn’t say I was living the way I wanted.
Did the magic watch bands fix that? There will always be disapproval. There will never be utopia.

I'm editing this because I already know what you're going to say: "Awareness made the situation better".

That's not true. Now the reality is people will keep quiet or go along with you because they are afraid of the consequences if they don't.

• Love
Reactions: Razorpit and DaPhox

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
Did the magic watch bands fix that? There will always be disapproval. There will never be utopia.

I'm editing this because I already know what you're going to say: "Awareness made the situation better".

That's not true. Now the reality is people will keep quiet or go along with you because they are afraid of the consequences if they don't.

“people will keep quiet or go along with you because they are afraid of the consequences if they don’t” does sound like a better situation for LGBT people than “people will say derogatory things or even do violent things to you because they know there will likely be no consequences” like it used to be. What a dumb and completely out of touch statement you’ve made… and then future generations will grow up in a society that doesn’t outwardly disapprove of LGBT people and likely won’t even think there is anything to disapprove of in the first place.

I am oh so very sorry that hateful rhetoric isn’t tolerated nowadays and that people who hold those views feel like they are being muzzled. How ever are they going to survive without publicly expressing their bigotry. ☹️

If LGBT people didn’t care for the pride stuff, and the rest of the world didn’t care for pride stuff, then pride wouldn’t be needed… but here we are, like clockwork every year; Apple releases new Pride bands, and a new thread is created in the political forum, and the same whining from some of you infests it;

What you guys don’t understand is that this is your own self-fulfilled prophecy. If you could mind your own business and let us have our things without going on about Straight Pride, co-opting the rainbow, how you’re okay with it but don’t need to be reminded of our existence or see it represented anywhere, and how hard it is for you guys to arbor views that are thankfully becoming less and less socially acceptable, then we could eventually move on to a place where we don’t even need Pride at all… You might see Pride as us being loud and “shoving it in your face”, but it turns out that as much of a celebration it is for us, it is also that time of year when, as LGBT people, we are woefully reminded (for those able to forget for a time) that people with the kind of views that have been expressed in this thread (and of course way worse) still exist. By constantly having a fit over the existence of Pride, you’re just proving that Pride is still needed. The more it bothers people, the more evident it is.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
“people will keep quiet or go along with you because they are afraid of the consequences if they don’t” does sound like a better situation for LGBT people than “people will say derogatory things or even do violent things to you because they know there will likely be no consequences” like it used to be. What a dumb and completely out of touch statement you’ve made… and then future generations will grow up in a society that doesn’t outwardly disapprove of LGBT people and likely won’t even think there is anything to disapprove of in the first place.

I am oh so very sorry that hateful rhetoric isn’t tolerated nowadays and that people who hold those views feel like they are being muzzled. How ever are they going to survive without publicly expressing their bigotry. ☹️

If LGBT people didn’t care for the pride stuff, and the rest of the world didn’t care for pride stuff, then pride wouldn’t be needed… but here we are, like clockwork every year; Apple releases new Pride bands, and a new thread is created in the political forum, and the same whining from some of you infests it;

What you guys don’t understand is that this is your own self-fulfilled prophecy. If you could mind your own business and let us have our things without going on about Straight Pride, co-opting the rainbow, how you’re okay with it but don’t need to be reminded of our existence or see it represented anywhere, and how hard it is for you guys to arbor views that are thankfully becoming less and less socially acceptable, then we could eventually move on to a place where we don’t even need Pride at all… You might see Pride as us being loud and “shoving it in your face”, but it turns out that as much of a celebration it is for us, it is also that time of year when, as LGBT people, we are woefully reminded (for those able to forget for a time) that people with the kind of views that have been expressed in this thread (and of course way worse) still exist. By constantly having a fit over the existence of Pride, you’re just proving that Pride is still needed. The more it bothers people, the more evident it is.
People will always be violent and do bad things. This is not a typical thing to happen now nor was it then. The media makes you think that because today anything that happens is on your phone screen in 30 seconds. But I have never in my life witnessed a single act of violence towards someone in the LGBT community. Most people haven't.

When I was in my late teens early twenties in the 90s probably 50% of my friends were gay. Every weekend I would go to a gay club with them even though I was straight and they were some of the best memories and years of my life. Not a single one of them ever complained they weren't being represented nor did they care in the slightest bit about companies coming to their rescue. I guess thats the difference between gen-x'ers and people today. We were tough and handled our sh$t. None of us were "Victims" of anything.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
Do sports fans need to wear their team jersey? Do film buff need to quote their favorite dialogue in everyday conversation? Do religious people need to wear a sign of their religion? None of that is *needed*. Nor is it about validation. Just because it is not *needed* doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. I’m not a fan of the Boston Bruins. I won’t boycott Walmart because they sell apparel with their logo. Live and let live, it’s really that simple.

Also in 1998 (so in the 90s) Matthew Shepard was tortured, beaten and left for dead… and eventually died, because he was gay. He just “lived the way he wanted” and that got him killed. That’s just one person, he’s not the only one. Maybe you’d like to go back to those times (though, sorry, Pride parades were already a thing in the 90s), most LGBT people probably wouldn’t because of things like that.

Also we are very aware of rainbow capitalism, and talk about it amongst ourselves quite a lot. Just because some companies are very opportunistic about their support for the LGBT community doesn’t mean all of it is awful. But glad to know it is also something that bothers you.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Do sports fans need to wear their team jersey? Do film buff need to quote their favorite dialogue in everyday conversation? Do religious people need to wear a sign of their religion? None of that is *needed*. Nor is it about validation. Just because it is not *needed* doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. I’m not a fan of the Boston Bruins. I won’t boycott Walmart because they sell apparel with their logo. Live and let live, it’s really that simple.

Also in 1998 (so in the 90s) Matthew Shepard was tortured, beaten and left for dead… and eventually died, because he was gay. He just “lived the way he wanted” and that got him killed. That’s just one person, he’s not the only one. Maybe you’d like to go back to those times (though, sorry, Pride parades were already a thing in the 90s), most LGBT people probably wouldn’t because of things like that.

Also we are very aware of rainbow capitalism, and talk about it amongst ourselves quite a lot. Just because some companies are very opportunistic about their support for the LGBT community doesn’t mean all of it is awful. But glad to know it is also something that bothers you.
None of those examples are relevant or the same. I don't have an "I like Vagina" apple watch band although that would be hilarious. I'm sorry that happened to that guy or anyone else for that matter, but again.. this isn't utopia. There will always be evil people who do evil things. You are not preventing that. And yes, it bothers me profoundly. It would bother me just as profoundly if there were Apple Watch bands geared toward straight people and it bothers me profoundly there are bands geared toward black people or any other people. I don't understand why we have to separate ourselves and become this nation of tribes. Can't you and I just be PEOPLE and that's it?

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
Not a single one of them ever complained they weren't being represented nor did they care in the slightest bit about companies coming to their rescue.

Well not everyone is involved or cares, it is what it is 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve met a trans man who point blank told me “I’m passing so I don’t care about the “community”, cause I don’t have their issues”. Not saying your friends were anything like that, but also why, in the 90s, would they have cared for company support when it probably wasn’t a thing that they could fathom happening… Or cared about representation when it was almost non-existent. There were other pressing issues. But also, seeing what your response on here is, if they knew you at all, maybe they just knew not to bring up those subjects with you. Just maybe.

You may have hung out with gay people, maybe you still do, doesn’t mean you understand the gay experience. Moreover, the gay experience isn’t monolithic, so maybe your friends had a good enough experience that they didn’t even thought to care. I’m sorry, your opinion on how LGBT people should act, what Pride is and isn’t and should be and shouldn’t be… it has little to no value. And you should also get this idea that we see company support as “rescue” out of your head. None of us do. Bringing it up over and over makes you sound ignorant. I’m sure you aren’t.

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit and RichTF

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Well not everyone is involved or cares, it is what it is 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve met a trans man who point blank told me “I’m passing so I don’t care about the “community”, cause I don’t have their issues”. Not saying your friends were anything like that, but also why, in the 90s, would they have cared for company support when it probably wasn’t a thing that they could fathom happening… Or cared about representation when it was almost non-existent. There were other pressing issues. But also, seeing what your response on here is, if they knew you at all, maybe they just knew not to bring up those subjects with you. Just maybe.

You may have hung out with gay people, maybe you still do, doesn’t mean you understand the gay experience. Moreover, the gay experience isn’t monolithic, so maybe your friends had a good enough experience that didn’t even thought to care. I’m sorry, your opinion on how LGBT people should act, what Pride is and isn’t and should be and shouldn’t be… it has little to no value. And you should also get this idea that we see company support as “rescue” out of your head. None of us do. Bringing it up over and over makes you sound ignorant. I’m sure you aren’t.
The "gay experience"? I mean come on. It sounds like "we want to be put on a pedestal because were gay".

Answer me this: What is your goal? To be treated the same or to be treated like you are special?

Always seems to be the later when it should be the former.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
None of those examples are relevant or the same. I don't have an "I like Vagina" apple watch band although that would be hilarious. I'm sorry that happened to that guy or anyone else for that matter, but again.. this isn't utopia. There will always be evil people who do evil things. You are not preventing that. And yes, it bothers me profoundly. It would bother me just as profoundly if there were Apple Watch bands geared toward straight people and it bothers me profoundly there are bands geared toward black people or any other people. I don't understand why we have to separate ourselves and become this nation of tribes. Can't you and I just be PEOPLE and that's it?

The "gay experience"? I mean come on. It sounds like "we want to be put on a pedestal because were gay".

Answer me this: What is your goal? To be treated the same or to be treated like you are special?

There is a constant push and pull between complete and total unity of the human race, and the need or want to associate with people that have similar interests, similar struggles, or similar life experiences. Sports teams, religions, the LGBT community are all examples of that. This website and forum is an example of that. Incidentally, that also goes to my earlier point, and those examples I provided were relevant.

Is your equivalency to a Pride band really a “I Like Vagina” band? Pride isn’t just about the sexual part of being LGBT, it’s also about wanting to live everyday life without stares, or hushed comments, or having to justify my existence or Pride’s or a Pride band’s in co-opted threads like this one and against opinions like yours. And though “there will always be evil people who do evil things”, doesn’t mean that we should all sit idly by and think “mmmh wonder if I’ll be verbally assaulted when I do the groceries with my boyfriend later…? Maybe it’ll just be laughs or stares this time.” That’s unfortunately part of some people’s “gay experience” (if you can’t recognize that different groups of people have different life experiences, then there’s too much to address), which you’ll never have, both the good and this very unfortunate bad side of it. Which is also why I’ll finish writing this reply and move on to something else. Whatever you’ll say has no incident or weight, after all. Talking prescriptively about an experience that you know very little about and that you can’t experience for yourself.

And yes, we are all just people. So why can’t I just be appreciative that there is a Pride band and wear it without you needing to voice your disapproval of it. Why be bothered, just don’t buy it and move on to the next news article. If you’re gonna be bothered — which if it does to this point has to be symptomatic of something else — just be bothered in silence. No one asked for this news update to spark a debate about all of this, but you and people like you insist on making it so. Every year. Like I said, you’re all just proving to us that it is maybe more needed than you make it out to be. Have those debates with your gay friends, if you must. They might have a better insight into why this shakes you to your core.

And to round this up, I do want to be treated the same. I very much wish “coming out” wasn’t necessary. Reality is, society still doesn’t treat us exactly the same. There is a (thankfully) smaller and smaller subset of people that treat us like we are special. With a special kind of hatred. And as long as that is the case, Pride will be around and people like you will just have to suck it up and bear it. You’re welcome.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Is your equivalency to a Pride band really a “I Like Vagina” band? Pride isn’t just about the sexual part of being LGBT, it’s also about wanting to live everyday life without stares, or hushed comments, or having to justify my existence or Pride’s or a Pride band’s in co-opted threads like this one and against opinions like yours.
I'm glad you put it like this because this is where you and I will forever completely disagree fundamentally. You believe this "life without stares" is what you are entitled to. You believe that you should be able to force and control someone else's thoughts and beliefs. There is nothing more dangerous that this. Stares are nothing compared to this way of thinking.

>>> Is your equivalency to a Pride band really a “I Like Vagina” band? Pride isn’t just about the sexual part of being LGBT

Uhm yes it is! It is 100% about the sexual part!! If your sexual orientation wasn't different there would not have ever even been a discussion. Are you kidding me right now? This whole entire thing is about sex and attraction. LOL. You're not getting stares because you like the color blue and everyone else likes green. I mean what??

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
If you’re upset by pride and pride merch then congratulations you’re the reason it has to exist and I hope it continues to make you uncomfortable until you’re able to think about what part of other people’s love lives you feel entitled to have an opinion on.
So making other people uncomfortable is your motivation? Isn’t the other side doing that to the LGBT community your whole grievance? I can have an opinion about anything and everything, just like you.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia

The goal is to fulfill the Trotsky's ideas: burn the US in a "progressive" fire of revolution and spread it to others countries to make sure that transnationals control the whole world. Trotsky also collaborated with Hitler on a very similar ideas in 1940.

The key here is to spread it to other countries, if you listen carefully to Bernie Sanders he is talking the same thing. Burning down just the USA as a single country in a "progressive" fire does not make any sense to the transnationals.

RandomTox

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
I did not want to be forced to decorate my cubical with pride materials. When I was questioned, I simply said that I do not participate in anything unrelated to work. I do not keep photos of friends, family or pets. I do not display personal items. I keep my work life and my personal life very separate - on purpose. When being told that everyone else is participating and it looks bad for me to not participate by my manager and by other colleagues, I decided that this was the demarcation point for me to find another job.

If they wanted to decorate the cubical I was sitting in, they simply could have done that. They did not need my permission or my agreement. Instead, they wanted me to do it and kept pestering me about it. The cubical did not belong to me. It was not my property. This was merely about harassing me to comply and do it myself. It was about attempting to coerce me into participating in something I did not want to participate in and it was not relevant to my job or even the company products or public mission.

The other two colleagues I had were not lucky enough to be able to find other jobs prior to being disciplined and subsequently dismissed. The official reasons for discipline and dismissal was never spoken about (for HR reasons, I am sure) and since I was not friendly or associated with them, I have no proof that they were dismissed for being vocal about their unwillingness to participate. It is only circumstantial, but appears to be related as they were productive employees as I knew of their work. What I do know for sure is that they both were quite vocal about not participating. I witnessed that in person.
You are da man! All this LGBT craze is resulting in a heavy reverse descrimination and has nothing to do with tolerance.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
So making other people uncomfortable is your motivation? Isn’t the other side doing that to the LGBT community your whole grievance? I can have an opinion about anything and everything, just like you.
The goal is to live lives in a happy, rewarding, and unassailed way, to communicate to other queer people and to mark spaces as being safe to exist in

Your personal misery at other people getting to live happy lives is a side effect. Ultimately your opinions and experience about this are irrelevant to queer existence, and your discomfort at not getting to be the centre of the story is of no consequence to me.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021

Never heard it used before. I am who I am, and my friends are who they are. Don't need any motto's. Too busy with life to care what anyone else thinks of me or my decisions. I don't care about anyone's sexuality. There's enough going on in my life and my family and friend's lives to worry about whether someone likes men or women. If you do that simply means you have WAY too much time on your hands and you need to get a hobby.

As opposed to now. Watch bands, watch faces, flags, shirts, pants, TV shows, movies, posters, marches, months, weeks, days of "celebration", pronouns in bio.... 🤔 Step in line with all of this or you are a hater. 🙄

No, just don't care. See above.

Don't like the Bruins? We have more in common than you think.

There are more Chinese ladies that get punched in the face or pushed on to subway tracks every day in NYC. Do they get a survivor watch face or band? What about black on black violence. Instances easily number in the hundreds across the US every day. THAT needs 10x awareness of anything else right now. I'm ok with not knowing who you like to sleep with.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
your discomfort at not getting to be the centre of the story is of no consequence to me.

This really is the crux of it. If it weren't, there wouldn't be so much talk about "straight pride", "white history month", "what about [insert thing that matters to me]?" Just like the kid who gets upset when their sibling is feted on their birthday, they can't stand that this is something that ultimately isn't for them. Seeing others embrace it and appreciate it enrages them. They will claim they "don't care", but they actually care a great deal. They don't want to see something they regard as immoral/sinful/disgusting as normalized into mainstream culture. Pride symbols adopted by corporations is the ultimate mark of normalization in a capitalistic society (for better or for worse). And it is outrageous for them.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
😂 The only people who become “enraged” and want to cancel others are the ones who fail to see how intentionally divisive this all is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.