Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
It only seems to be "divisive" for a small number of people who feel the need to rage on and on for weeks about a watch band/face's existence.

Most people either decide it's for them and purchase/download it or decide it's not and move on. I can't say the symbols of "black pride" were for me, but I didn't feel hurt by their existence and demand that Apple not provide them.

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
None of those examples are relevant or the same. I don't have an "I like Vagina" apple watch band although that would be hilarious. I'm sorry that happened to that guy or anyone else for that matter, but again.. this isn't utopia. There will always be evil people who do evil things. You are not preventing that. And yes, it bothers me profoundly. It would bother me just as profoundly if there were Apple Watch bands geared toward straight people and it bothers me profoundly there are bands geared toward black people or any other people. I don't understand why we have to separate ourselves and become this nation of tribes. Can't you and I just be PEOPLE and that's it?
... because, it's easier to claim victimhood when you are separated into a group.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
... because, it's easier to claim victimhood when you are separated into a group.
It is important to understand that the fascists are also separated into a minority group but they tend to push their "elite" status down peoples throats very aggressively. This is a reason to be concerned for many people as you can dress a fascist as a crossdresser but he will still be a fascist.

On the other hand a male rights activists usually admit feeling emasculated for having to claim victimhood. This is why it is always: "I am asking/doing it for a friend."

• Sad
Reactions: jaymc

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
LMAO most of us (straight and gay) see it as Pride people need something to virtue signal so bad. 🤔
I’m trans and most people see pride month as a month to celebrate our history and culture.

That’s like saying black history month is virtue signaling. It’s purely ignorant.

Straight cisgender people wanting a straight pride either are willfully obtuse or full of bigotry. At no time have cisgender heterosexual people had to fight for their right to exist, marry, adopt kids or simply SAY they are gay.

It’s like when white people get mad that there is a black channel called BET and not a white channel completely ignoring why BET was created in the first place. BET exists because white channels wouldn’t air black shows and music and it was created for that very reason
It is about maintaining a healthy balance between:

Who was nobody will become everything.

Who was everything will become nobody.
it has nothing to do with balance and everything about trivializing a group of ppl

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
it has nothing to do with balance and everything about trivializing a group of ppl
The belief that there is a "trivial" group of people and an "elite" group of people is the core of the problem.

Pride is everybody's. It is a crime to privatize pride and expect others to nationalize shame.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
The belief that there is a "trivial" group of people and an "elite" group of people is the core of the problem.

Pride is everybody's. It is a crime to privatize pride and expect others to nationalize shame.

These divisions objectively exist though. In how many cities and countries around the world have marginalized and oppressed non-heterosexual people?

Pretending that there is no inequality does not erase it. At the very least, Pride draws attention to the issue.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC

There’s definitely a marginalized group and a group of ppl deemed socially acceptable. Acting as if homophobia and transphobia do not exist means you are the problem.

There are states where they would try to criminalize me using the women’s room as a trans woman (Florida).

Like I said before. Straight and cisgender people really want to be oppressed and I have no idea why. It’s hilarious.

But hey you can always petitioned to Crete a straight pride month lol. I’d be curious to know all about straight ppls struggle over the last 100 years, how an entire group of ppl (lgbt) were blamed for an epidemic similar to aids, how straight people were being killed for being gay, the straight people being sent to conversion camps to be tortured, etc etc. I’d love to read about groundbreaking legislation where heterosexual ppl finally could legally marry their partners. /sarcasm

Oh wait. None of that ever happened to straight ppl. But it has happened to lgbt individuals and it’s is why pride exist.

• Disagree
Reactions: RichTF and jaymc

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
These divisions objectively exist though. In how many cities and countries around the world have marginalized and oppressed non-heterosexual people?

Pretending that there is no inequality does not erase it. At the very least, Pride draws attention to the issue.
Attitude like that is the reason these divisions "objectively" exist. It is a false argument that you have to be a non-heterosexual to be oppressed and marginalized the most. Any "weak" person literally goes through hell everywhere every minute.

People don't deserve a special treatment for being the way they are as it artificially encourages those "trivial" and "elite" divisions and creates even more problems.

Reactions: Razorpit

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Attitude like that is the reason these divisions "objectively" exist. It is a false argument that you have to be a non-heterosexual to be oppressed and marginalized the most. Any "weak" person literally goes through hell everywhere every minute.

I never once said you HAD to be non-homosexual to be marginalized. I'm plenty marginalized for other reasons, thankfully not because of my sexuality though.

People don't deserve a special treatment for being the way they are as it artificially encourages those "trivial" and "elite" divisions and creates even more problems.

Nobody's asking for special treatment. You're right - nobody deserves special treatment. Yet we as a species have gone and took things that every human deserves - the right to love and marry who we desire, the right to live - from subgroups of people because they were different.

Reactions: RichTF

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Nobody's asking for special treatment. You're right - nobody deserves special treatment. Yet we as a species have gone and took things that every human deserves - the right to love and marry who we desire, the right to live - from subgroups of people because they were different.
People will be marrying robots and what not but this does not mean that the old traditions where wrong and oppressive. There is a deeper reason for the old traditions to exist and in order to re-write them a "new trends" will have to stand the test of time for at least hundreds of years first I am afraid.

Reactions: Razorpit

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
People will be marrying robots and what not but this does not mean that the old traditions where wrong and oppressive. There is a deeper reason for the old traditions to exist and in order to re-write them a "new trends" will have to stand the test of time for at least hundreds of years first I am afraid.

I'm sorry, is Non-heterosexuality a trend in your eyes? Moreover all the horrible things done to people in that camp not wrong because of "tradition"? Am I understanding correctly?

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I'm sorry, is Non-heterosexuality a trend in your eyes? Moreover all the horrible things done to people in that camp not wrong because of "tradition"? Am I understanding correctly?
As I have said we will have to wait and see if it really stands the test of time. A horrible things are being done to all people every day because some people think that they are more "indispensable" than others.

The best you can do at this stage is to make sure that this is not being used for political reasons.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
As I have said we will have to wait and see if it really stands the test of time. A horrible things are being done to all people every day because some people think that they are more "indispensable" than others.

The best you can do at this stage is to make sure that this is not being used for political reasons.

Wow, doesn't get more thinly veiled than that.

Non-heterosexuality is not a trend, otherwise, hateful people would not have a long history of murder and abuse towards people of that group.

Yes, horrible things happen every day. Thanks for, at the very least, admitting that you're ok with that.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
My point is that "objective" is not an excuse for the "elite" to look down on the "trivial" let alone do horrible things to them.

Yes. We agree on that point. Regardless of that, you appear to be arguing the fact that you believe non-heterosexuality to be a trend. Moreover that the status quo of non-homosexuals being unequal is fine because of "tradition."

I'm not going to keep explaining what words mean.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Regardless of that, you appear to be arguing the fact that you believe non-heterosexuality to be a trend. Moreover that the status quo of non-homosexuals being unequal is fine because of "tradition."
My point is that there is a deeper meaning and a reason why non-heterosexuality(which probably existed for a thousands of years) did not make it into a "tradition".

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
My point is that there is a deeper meaning and a reason why non-heterosexuality(which probably existed for a thousands of years) did not make it into a "tradition".

Yes. The hundreds to thousands of years of people marginalizing and oppressing them will do that. If you have a justification for that action in that period, I'd love to hear it.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Yes. The hundreds to thousands of years of people marginalizing and oppressing them will do that. If you have a justification for that action in that period, I'd love to hear it.
I would say it will have to do with a "tradition" helping form and promote the right statesmanship competencies that eventually brought us the technological advances we enjoy today and take for granted.

If you think that you can just go back to the stone age and in 100 years enjoy the same technological advances we enjoy today(somebody on the forum actually made this point) you are dreaming. You will find the hard way the importance of having the right "tradition".

And this is why concentrating purely on "marginalizing and oppressing" will easily make you a victim of political manipulators like Trotsky. Again it takes statesmanship competencies to see this clearly.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I would say it will have to do with a "tradition" helping form and promote the right statesmanship competencies that eventually brought us the technological advances we enjoy today and take for granted.

If you think that you can just go back to the stone age and in 100 years enjoy the same technological advances we enjoy today(somebody on the forum actually made this point) you are dreaming. You will find the hard way the importance of having the right "tradition".

And this is why concentrating purely on "marginalizing and oppressing" will easily make you a victim of political manipulators like Trotsky. Again it takes statesmanship competencies to see this clearly.

Justice can coexist with statesmanship and tradition. If you're unwilling to open your eyes to that, then I think we're done here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.