Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the Apple Watch (2022)?

• Total voters

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Despite this being somewhat of an "S" year for the standard watch, I ordered a Series 8. I have never owned a smartwatch but there are certain things going on with my health and such a piece of tech can provide actually meaningful data in my situation.

But good god the charger thing was confusing. The Apple Store app very clearly mentioned that there's no charger included. Ok, no problem, I went looking for one. And it was so confusing.

First I added an Apple Watch USB-C fast charge cable that looks very much like a Magsafe charger cable, but I understood they are not the same and a Magsafe charger won't work with an Apple Watch? Unless it's the Magsafe Duo.
Well, whatever, I'm not into charging my phone wirelessly. So I then reckoned I need a charger brick that
1. has USB-C (I use an old USB-A charger with my iPhone)
2. supports fast charging (according to quick googling it's 20W minimum)
I then browse around until I find the 20W USB-C power adapter. But wait, Series 8 is not on the list of supported devices for this charger. I have no idea if this is a bug / sloppiness / forgetfulness but decide not to risk it and end up buying the 35W charger with dual ports.

And then after paying over 100 euros for charging equipment I notice that the watch comes with the cable.

Jesus Apple, just make a one-tap bundle for people who don't have any old AW chargers laying around. It shouldn't be this hard.

Got the Series 8 41mm in Midnight Aluminum w/ Midnight sport loop band btw.
you get the cable.... you don't get the block that plugs into the wall

Veilofsun

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2021
🇨🇦
Ordered two immediately after the announcement. those delivery dates are grim.

Attachments

• E15BFF0C-1CF0-49E6-8ABF-D8D9A07BFF55.jpeg
    E15BFF0C-1CF0-49E6-8ABF-D8D9A07BFF55.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 69
  • CDBADC5D-B43C-4425-AB31-DDAC93561AD6.jpeg
    CDBADC5D-B43C-4425-AB31-DDAC93561AD6.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 68

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So exciting. But remember that (I think) the last Apple Watch they released had shortened shipping times when they were actually shipped. It happens sometimes. Still, so exciting...

An aside: Was there anything that much better in the 8 to make people really want it aside from it being the 'New Hotness'? the smoke from the announcement hasn't cleared enough to figure out what, if anything could make it so popular. Oh, it's also possible that initial quantities are 'artificially lower' due to the lock downs in China. Watching shipping levels is going to be interesting, potentially.

There are websites that track container traffic, someone should check on boxes coming for Apple maybe? Obviously BTO wouldn't be included in that, but Apple could be stocking local distribution centers about now? I was waiting for a big item from Vietnam and was able to watch its progress as it frustratingly slowly made its way on that Slow Boat From China... (Its container sat in port for nearly a week before it was moved along for delivery:rolleyes:)

Reactions: Brad7 and Veilofsun

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Lucky the Apple Watch ultra wasn’t giving and in store option.

This was disappointing. I was going to pick up on the way to work. Looks like I’ll take the day off haha.

I also was thinking maybe as they ship, and get closer you could change to pick-up in store. I guess in essence I could do what we used to do for iPhones and try to intercept at the UPS CC Hub.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This was disappointing. I was going to pick up on the way to work. Looks like I’ll take the day off haha.

I also was thinking maybe as they ship, and get closer you could change to pick-up in store. I guess in essence I could do what we used to do for iPhones and try to intercept at the UPS CC Hub.

I tried that with a MBP, and UPS told me they couldn't due to 'shipper restrictions'. (They said that) I had to wait until it was attempted delivered before I could potentially do something about picking it up at the terminal or have it redirected, or held. It seemed weird, that Apple would have that stipulation on the shipment, but I'm sure they, and UPS have had issues with fraudulent changes to deliveries. *shrug*

Last edited:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
So exciting. But remember that (I think) the last Apple Watch they released had shortened shipping times when they were actually shipped. It happens sometimes. Still, so exciting...

An aside: Was there anything that much better in the 8 to make people really want it aside from it being the 'New Hotness'? the smoke from the announcement hasn't cleared enough to figure out what, if anything could make it so popular. Oh, it's also possible that initial quantities are 'artificially lower' due to the lock downs in China. Watching shipping levels is going to be interesting, potentially.
Well the sensor upgrades between 7 and 8 (with the addition of temp and additional high G sensor) along with new chip seem to be the differences between the S7 and S8. Well dropping the Edition line as well.

I'm going to evaluate the Ultra, without it I wouldn't be upgrading my S7

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
In order to get the Ultra watch on the 23rd, I had to order it with the white ocean band. The midnight option delivery was 2 weeks later. However, l ordered the Midnight band as well, which will be delivered the same day. I wanted to pick it up at the store, but unfortunately, I didn't have the option. Cannot wait. Been wanting a larger size forever!!!

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Well the sensor upgrades between 7 and 8 (with the addition of temp and additional high G sensor) along with new chip seem to be the differences between the S7 and S8. Well dropping the Edition line as well.

I'm going to evaluate the Ultra, without it I wouldn't be upgrading my S7
Is there a new chip? It’s hard to compare to S7 because Apple.com drops it, the site has that cool Compare feature but the S7 is gone. Any new RAM change or other hardware change besides the temperature sensor? I guess I need to just watch the whole video from yesterday sometime today, I’d rather not though.

I’m excited for the people who are upgrading though! Being pleased with the S7, I‘d say most people coming from from previous models will be happy with the upgrade.

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2021
Just grabbed the Midnight Ocean Ultra at Best Buy. I cancelled my Apple Store order since my Total Tech membership gives me free AppleCare+ and this was the color I actually wanted. Release date delivery too so that’s a plus.
I get benefits by buying through BB but I fear the sensors on the rear of the Ultra might be an issue for me. I am 6' 200 lb male.
I would happily order SS from BB, but cannot find it. Do you have a link or is this not an option via BB?

cannono

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2014
I get benefits by buying through BB but I fear the sensors on the rear of the Ultra might be an issue for me. I am 6' 200 lb male.
I would happily order SS from BB, but cannot find it. Do you have a link or is this not an option via BB?
What issue would there be with the sensors?

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2021
What issue would there be with the sensors?
I am currently using the leather loop band with my iW7C 45m. When I use other bands from braided to Milanese loop, I had contacts issues with the sensors.
I have stuck with the leather loop without doing more tests like when the watch was new.

hyperreal

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2021
Finland
you get the cable.... you don't get the block that plugs into the wall
Yes, I know, I wasn't even expecting a charger brick (it was stated very clearly that you need to buy one), and maybe it's on me for not checking the What's in the box section for the cable and just ordering one (I don't mind having an extra though).

But finding a suitable charger block from the Apple Store app was a chore. I felt like there was an assumption that everyone already has an Apple Watch and a charger so there's no need to guide anyone to a suitable one. I wish there was an option you could select, like "I'm a first-time buyer" or "I need a charger" and it would show you one or two recommended charger bricks based on what you're buying and what you already have connected to your account.
It should be that easy. And applied to every portable and wearable device they sell.

Reactions: caligurl

techishi

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
US
Yes, I know, I wasn't even expecting a charger brick (it was stated very clearly that you need to buy one), and maybe it's on me for not checking the What's in the box section for the cable and just ordering one (I don't mind having an extra though).

But finding a suitable charger block from the Apple Store app was a chore. I felt like there was an assumption that everyone already has an Apple Watch and a charger so there's no need to guide anyone to a suitable one. I wish there was an option you could select, like "I'm a first-time buyer" or "I need a charger" and it would show you one or two recommended charger bricks based on what you're buying and what you already have connected to your account.
It should be that easy. And applied to every portable and wearable device they sell.
It is a little vague I agree, but this should help you out.

hyperreal

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2021
Finland
It is a little vague I agree, but this should help you out.

I appreciate you trying to help but I googled stuff like this and none or very little of it was updated to include Series 8. And like I said, the 20W charger brick's details did not mention Series 8 as a compatible product while the 35W dual port charger's did, so the latter is what I ended up ordering, because I couldn't be sure about the 20W brick's compatibility.

The point is, a customer, who is willing to trust Apple blindly by preordering something new right after they have announced it, should not have to waste time googling for charger specs just because they don't ship one with the product.
Why not just add a button "I need a charger" or a prompt "Do you want to buy a charger Y/N?" and then offer a compatible one to be added straight into the basket. This would be very user friendly and user centric, especially since all my devices are linked to the same account I'm using to browse the store and make the order. So they already have an educated guess of what I do and what I don't have, and based on that they can see that this is very likely my first Apple Watch so it's also very likely I don't have a charger - but obviously the device doesn't function very well without one, so why not offer me one instead of having me puzzle it together?

If I go to any physical store and buy anything that requires a power supply or a charger but doesn't come with one, the staff usually catch it and know at least one they can recommend.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I appreciate you trying to help but I googled stuff like this and none or very little of it was updated to include Series 8. And like I said, the 20W charger brick's details did not mention Series 8 as a compatible product while the 35W dual port charger's did, so the latter is what I ended up ordering, because I couldn't be sure about the 20W brick's compatibility.

The point is, a customer, who is willing to trust Apple blindly by preordering something new right after they have announced it, should not have to waste time googling for charger specs just because they don't ship one with the product.
Why not just add a button "I need a charger" or a prompt "Do you want to buy a charger Y/N?" and then offer a compatible one to be added straight into the basket. This would be very user friendly and user centric, especially since all my devices are linked to the same account I'm using to browse the store and make the order. So they already have an educated guess of what I do and what I don't have, and based on that they can see that this is very likely my first Apple Watch so it's also very likely I don't have a charger - but obviously the device doesn't function very well without one, so why not offer me one instead of having me puzzle it together?

If I go to any physical store and buy anything that requires a power supply or a charger but doesn't come with one, the staff usually catch it and know at least one they can recommend.
You’re totally correct how annoying and wrong it is. however you’re not the first nor the 100th to observe that kind of thing ever since they made that change some years ago. Join me in expressing such valid points at www.apple.com/feedback if you have a moment.

For me personally, for some years now every time I order something I make sure to click their “What’s in the box” prominently featured area, which often (airpods, watch, phones, etc. etc.) confirms yet again how they will not include wall chargers, nor USB A to USB C adapters.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Is there a new chip? It’s hard to compare to S7 because Apple.com drops it, the site has that cool Compare feature but the S7 is gone. Any new RAM change or other hardware change besides the temperature sensor? I guess I need to just watch the whole video from yesterday sometime today, I’d rather not though.

I’m excited for the people who are upgrading though! Being pleased with the S7, I‘d say most people coming from from previous models will be happy with the upgrade.
I thought I remembered them saying S8 chip....maybe not.

They have the high G sensor now for the crash detection. And I think they at least update the existing sensors.

Yeah a S7 -> S8 upgrade doesn't seem worthwhile

Reactions: ndouglas

Panther61

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
MD
I prefer to be able to pick my watch up at the Apple Store to save tax $$, however, noticed the Orange band ULTRA posted for sale on Amazon so ordered from them and having it shipped to their pick-up box in a tax free zone. Also utilized a $200 gift certificate I had been holding onto :D

Reactions: highdefjunkie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.