Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
I’m also quite torn on strap size. I have a 180mm wrist and fall between the M (145-190mm) and L (165-210mm). I went with Large but now wondering if M strap would have been a wiser choice.

Tuscape

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
I really do think for most people the Apple Watch Ultra (silly name) is the wrong watch for you. The screen is imperceptibly larger than the 45mm Apple Watch (the 49mm includes the huuuuge bezel), it's 40% thicker, 20% heavier, and titanium scratches like crazy.

I mean, yes, if the dedicated scuba stuff is up your alley, go for it, but... naaaaa. This was a disappointing year for the regular Watch crowd.
I may not run ultras, but I do run outdoors year round and have been frustrated with the watch and phone both unable to deal with the cold. The ultra is rated down to -20C/-4F which should mean I can run with it down to -10F which is about as cold as I‘ll find in Ohio. I’m also hopeful the slightly larger screen will be easier to read as I’m getting old but run without my glasses.

Really want a trail loop but didn’t want the wait so initially ordered a green alpine. Then I realized I have enough subtle bands for blending in and the orange looks better than the other options in the photos so far to switched and now looking at Sep 29 - Oct 6. As a bonus, it’ll work for Bengals games.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I’m also quite torn on strap size. I have a 180mm wrist and fall between the M (145-190mm) and L (165-210mm). I went with Large but now wondering if M strap would have been a wiser choice.
I was in the same dilemma. 155mm wrist and didn’t know if I should go S (130-160mm) or M (145-190).

I went down a size to S

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
That is the design I would have went with, the loop looks excellent and it got some great features.

I ended up getting a S8 instead with a Nike green sport loop, I found the design to be overall better. I’m suspecting, or hoping for more sensors in the near future, and then I will probably go for an ultra if the price doesn’t go up.

More sensors . . . Until technology advances, that is not going to happen. Apple is kind pushing it with the temperature sensor, but it is all they can do for now.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
" data-source="post: 31412703" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Excited for this Ultra Apple Watch. I need a bigger Watch!

View attachment 2053225

Wow what a beast! Share the picture once you get your Ultra. I’ll be sticking to my S7 but I’ll get the Ocean Band because I think it’s a really nice looking band.

tekfranz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2017
Best Buy is promising Delivery on September 23rd for most of the Ultras and Bands except for the Black/Gray Trail Loop. Better trade-in values as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: macsplusmacs

nyermen

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2018
Right after the event, Alpine Loop Green medium, Delivery on the 23rd
Same here. Helps that I wanted that loop one specially for exercise (i will change bands for general wear vs actual exercise). I see most preorders chose trail loop as its showing late october delivery now, wheres as the alpine loops still show 23rd Sept.

Its not the prettiest watch imo, and display size barely bigger than standard watch, but I've spent a year running with a garmin and doing day to day with AW7, so I'm going for it. If nothing else, selling the S7 and garmin funds this without any more required from me.
Hoping my existing band set will work without looking too awful (I know they're smaller but I've got an old stainless steel link bracelet and a hermes leather clasp I got from a second hand shop). Also a solo loop for night wear.

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Can you all help me decide? I like that the ocean band would probably be easier to clean (despite all of the tubes), but I prefer the off-white color and metal connector (to the case) of the alpine. Thanks in advance :D
MQE53ref_VW_34FR+watch-49-titanium-ultra_VW_34FR_WF_CO+watch-face-49-alpine-ultra_VW_34FR_WF_CO

or
MQE93_VW_34FR+watch-49-titanium-ultra_VW_34FR_WF_CO+watch-face-49-ocean-ultra_VW_34FR_WF_CO

Reactions: bwoodruff

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
Can you all help me decide? I like that the ocean band would probably be easier to clean (despite all of the tubes), but I prefer the off-white color and metal connector (to the case) of the alpine. Thanks in advance :D
MQE53ref_VW_34FR+watch-49-titanium-ultra_VW_34FR_WF_CO+watch-face-49-alpine-ultra_VW_34FR_WF_CO

or
MQE93_VW_34FR+watch-49-titanium-ultra_VW_34FR_WF_CO+watch-face-49-ocean-ultra_VW_34FR_WF_CO
From the youtube videos, the Ocean band seems to sit somewhat awkwardly on many people's wrists. The Alpine loop will likely be a lot more snug compared t the stiffer Ocean loop.

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
From the youtube videos, the Ocean band seems to sit somewhat awkwardly on many people's wrists. The Alpine loop will likely be a lot more snug compared t the stiffer Ocean loop.
Thank you for your input! I did notice that on the YouTube videos but wondered why they didn't tighten them up a bit.

nyermen

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2018
I'd go alpine myself too (I have in fact). I chose green in the end, I was concerned that white would end up looking grubby.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Best Buy is promising Delivery on September 23rd for most of the Ultras and Bands except for the Black/Gray Trail Loop. Better trade-in values as well.
I wouldn't trust Best Buy at all. Every year they make the same promise and there ends up being many unhappy people. Look back at iphone, ipad...Air Pods...posts from previous years

Last edited:
Reactions: Sodner and WilliamG

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
I'm in the same boat - slightly larger wrist at ~184mm - and I went with the M. I would think Apple would design a bit of overlap (no pun intended) between the different sizes, meaning for those on the cusp of one size to another, that either size would suffice. We will see in a couple of weeks! I also ordered an Ocean strap as well, so if the Alpine loop doesn't fit right, I can wear the watch while I work with Apple to send me the large loop.

Such important problems we have! ;)

Reactions: leebroath

tekfranz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2017
I wouldn't trust Best Buy at all. Every year they make the same promise and there ends up being many unhappy people. Look back at iphone, ipad...Air Pods...
I am gonna try it. I guess I will give up my Black/Gray Trail Loop in favor of the Midnight Ocean Band. Looks real Sturdy.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
I changed my order. Was getting a red S8 on launch but now am getting Ultra with Alpine, I love orange, on 30th-7th! The ultra will be a massive upgrade from my SS S3. I sold it a year ago and have been missing an AW shortly since.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I changed my order. Was getting a red S8 on launch but now am getting Ultra with Alpine, I love orange, on 30th-7th! The ultra will be a massive upgrade from my SS S3. I sold it a year ago and have been missing an AW shortly since.

I think there have been three big leaps in Apple Watch history:

1. First Apple Watch
2. Series 4
3. Ultra

Was (will be) there for all of them and can not wait till the 23rd.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Since this will replace my current one, I plan on starting to get into sleep tracking. Never wanted to before with just one watch and the whole recharge thing.
Good point. With the longer battery life, it will be better for sleep tracking. I would have said it'd be too bulky and distracting to sleep with, but the general consensus so far is that it's surprisingly light.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004

Are you going to be swimming a lot with the watch? If not, I'd go Alpine. That's my aesthetic view. Nothing at all to do with practicality, I just like the look of the white alpine compared to the white ocean.

Reactions: ZacKaffeine

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I think there have been three big leaps in Apple Watch history:

1. First Apple Watch
2. Series 4
3. Ultra

Was (will be) there for all of them and can not wait till the 23rd.
I’m going from a series 0 Apple Watch (original) to the ultra. The battery in my series 0 expanded and popped the screen off the watch. i’ve been using a ruggedized Timex for the last six months!

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022

Apple is promising my $720 trade for my 13 ProMax and as in the past, I always get what they offered as my phone is in perfect condition. I do not think Best Buy will offer more.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022

or

‘The Ocean look a bit heavy duty to me. I went with the Alpine and ordered two of the Trail bands for November.
In a dire emergency my series 7 Leather Loop willl fit the Ultra.

Reactions: ZacKaffeine

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
I think the question is WHERE do you want the clasp to lie/end up. I think I want the clasp NOT right at the bottom, but on the side so I would probably get a bit more strap length to enable that. Time will tell, I think we’re going to be in one of those situations where ppl are going into apple stores and swapping/returning, etc. just like when the loop bands came out.

Reactions: Luba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.