Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
What about the .car? Each one of those 4 files contains over 50 files... I'd extract the buttons and edit them but I don't know which ones control the Finder toolbar! >O<

If you can tell me which files inside the .cars control the Finder window toolbar buttons and the Glyphs then I can do it.

Like see here? I have no clue if this even controls the Smart Actions Button, let alone WHICH ONE does...
8EZ8VpQ.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I don't mind changing them, I just had a thought :D Dangerous I know :D

I have attached just a little screenshot.

AlittleThemeEngineExplain.png

[doublepost=1514528087][/doublepost]For the glyphs it's in the Assets.car:

For the Finder arrows and arrows elsewhere eg. Safari and System Preferences; GoBack, GoForward, GoLeft, Go Right.

For the Finder Toolbar; ColumnView, IconView, ListView, Path, ToolbarArrangeBy, FlowView(Is Coverflow)

You can see in the first screenshot that I have typed in just abbreviations of the files - the ones shown are those buttons for the Finder that are Pressed on the inactive states.

Narrow your search down to just "regular normal" Regular Pressed" "Regular disabled" - you'll soon get the hang of it. Also narrow down to using "Scale" down at the bottom of the ThemeEngine window.
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 07.20.02.png
AlittleThemeEngineExplain.png

Last edited:

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Thanks for those, I'm closer to having every icon replaced with the proper Snow Leopard ones!

I did the buttons for Back/Forward (No rolling!) but I take it theres no way to make those glyphs black? Color is controlled by the system I suppose...

Screen_Shot_2017-12-30_at_10.28.00_PM.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Thanks for those, I'm closer to having every icon replaced with the proper Snow Leopard ones!

I did the buttons for Back/Forward (No rolling!) but I take it theres no way to make those glyphs black? Color is controlled by the system I suppose...

Screen_Shot_2017-12-30_at_10.28.00_PM.png

That's awesome! You can control the color of everything in the system which is related to text. You can change everything to hot pink if you wanted to :D

ANOTHERBUTTONCOLORFORTHECALENDAR.png COLORS-THAT-GOES-WITH-CALENDARBUTTONS.png EXAMPLE-SYSTEMPREFS-FINDER-TOOLBAR.png FINDER-BUTTON-COLORS.png WHEN-NO-ACTIONISTAKINGPLACE.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Rightie, now the color problem is sorted but now... theres allignment issues. The quicklook button is a different size for some reason and the View buttons are off center -_-

Have I said I hate this yet? Do it for me, mommy!

Screen_Shot_2017-12-31_at_2.04.21_AM.png

Here's a .psd with some assets I'm using... maybe you can make some sense of it, Allan?http://www.mediafire.com/file/pmsl75y7cfvtzvn/snowleopard lick WIP.psd

I'll try - I think that you can fix the quicklook(eye) by adjusting the canvas it's in.. but I have noticed that it's near impossible to get the sizes to align between the sections in the Finder toolbar. Height has a lot to say but the taller the worse looking the buttons become.
[doublepost=1514761747][/doublepost]
Wow... looking great! Theming looks so complicated now.

Ah... good old Theme Park!

heh - it's just a tedious task at the moment. ThemeEngine doesn't always follow logic and consistency and moves around files. I like it still - the theming. There are days/weeks where I kind of just want to just discard all projects I have and leave theming behind. Then I remember that old ancient text: "Don't do it - it'll bite you in the behind"

I wasn't on the ThemePark wave - I regret that now. Now that the whole theme-craze is over I jump aboard ... that's a little too late, Allan. :/

Last edited:

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I managed to grab all the Snow Leopard system files but I haven't been able to find anything like the Traffic buttons or finder window titlebars >.> I looked all over CoreServices

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Okay... they're in Extras2.rsrc...

the path is...

System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources

Cripes!

You might want the last version of Theme Park to edit.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
This is gonna sound weird but I feel LONELY on Mountain Lion xD I feel like all the applications are obsolete and I'm not really with the Mac community anymore.

Convince me to come back, Allan! Tell me you managed to fix those Finder buttons! <3

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Alright, I'm BACK on High Sierra (I know, I know, make up my darn mind!) and I'm checking in with a little bit of progress. I re-did the traffic buttons- I loved yours Allan, but they were a bit small!

I'm starting to get the hang of ThemeEngine, using the filters for stuff like "@1X, Rollover, Pressed, Normal, Regular"

Screen_Shot_2018-01-12_at_11.40.17_PM.png

Reactions: bhtwo

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Alright, I'm BACK on High Sierra (I know, I know, make up my darn mind!) and I'm checking in with a little bit of progress. I re-did the traffic buttons- I loved yours Allan, but they were a bit small!

I'm starting to get the hang of ThemeEngine, using the filters for stuff like "@1X, Rollover, Pressed, Normal, Regular"

Trafficlights look super great job

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark

You did even better than me. I've been out of the loop and have not been doing anything with or to the theme.

Can you share the file or perhaps scale the trafficlights up two times for me so that I can apply them too?

Also, you have the huge advantage of being on the size that is the starting point for it all. You have excellent chances of getting ahead of me and/or everyone else.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I'm trying to edit the menubar icons now too, I've successfully changed the Spotlight one (it was in the assets folder of the Spotlight app) but the others I can't seem to find anywhere... I have a theory they are inside these .menu files I have no way to open at present. What do you think?

Screen_Shot_2018-01-13_at_11.57.59_AM.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I would suggest for the editing of the .menu thingies that you try and get ahold of ForkLift from www.binarynights.com - version 3 or see if you can locate the 2nd version of same app on Binarynights website. I think a link is on the Support page.

TimeMachine is somewhere else (Actually I just noticed it's right there in your screenshot - sorry)... I think I have found it before.... looking at EasyFind.

Edit. if not ForkLift then some other app that it is similar - like Troll(trol?)Commander or DoubleCommander
[doublepost=1515871282][/doublepost]I think I just might have to remake them(trafficlights) a little bigger myself.. they don't scale

Last edited:

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
xD well I'm an idiot, I didn't know I could just right click on those to show the package contents :p its hard to know when thats actually an option!

And yeah, sorry about the traffic buttons... I sort of pieced them together from multiple .png screenshots of Snow Leopard... that OS was never made to run on 5K displays :/ I suppose I could re-draw them in Flash if I get the gradients and "shine" effects placed just right...

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
xD well I'm an idiot, I didn't know I could just right click on those to show the package contents :p its hard to know when thats actually an option!

And yeah, sorry about the traffic buttons... I sort of pieced them together from multiple .png screenshots of Snow Leopard... that OS was never made to run on 5K displays :/ I suppose I could re-draw them in Flash if I get the gradients and "shine" effects placed just right...

Aw man, of course - Show Package Contents .. - don't bother making new traffic lights if only for yourself - I can upscale those I have to fit - they suit me well enough. I should've said "scale" instead of redraw.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I'm gonna start importing the menubar icons (which are .pdf-based) into Flash and re-drawing them to look like the Snow Leppy ones. It'll be vector so I can do @1x and @2x at the same time ^.^

Meantime I had to requests, Al. I need the "Home" icns file from Snow Leopard as I just noticed mine is missing a small version. Also where is the grey window titlebar stored-- I wanna tweak it a little.

Screen_Shot_2018_01_14_at_6_59_18_PM.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
The background can be adjusted from two places - either WindowFrame_WindowShapeEdges or WindowFrame_Background

easiest is to just replace the WindowFrame_WindowShapeEdges with one new image - the best result is with the WindowFrame_Background. There's a a lot more control by using that. For this purpose try to experiment with the ShapeEdges one and see how well that goes.

I'll see to it that the Home Folder ICNS gets uploaded.
EDIT:
Download here:
http://jmp.sh/7c1PKof

Last edited:

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Ugh... looks like the traffic lights I made aren't fully compatible afterall -_- I just launched SimCity 4 and the sides get cut off.

Screen_Shot_2018_01_15_at_10_48_53_AM.png

darn it... A reduction of a couple of pixels would reduce them to the size I made?! Looking forward to progress on your adventure into making 1x and 2x's.

I can't tell if your managed to change the window background? What's your verdict on that - the process of that?

Btw. the cut off'ing is also present with Photoshop - it was here when I last tried it. Let's keep calm ;)

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 23.14.10.png

I am actually proud of myself for getting this far -no rolling- no issues with calendar or activity monitor. Except that the text is a bit high up on the buttons. I'm afraid to fiddle with anything at this point but I am probably going to get that in order soon.

I have uploaded the .PSD files I use so that you may downscale them if you want to - You have your very own cool one. I just thought that should share just a little:
http://jmp.sh/6SBD0N8

It will take a little while before my setup is up and running again after having been using Windows and Linux variants and now is back on macOS. I'm getting there - setup is pretty much set up

I only hope that the files are of any use(They are exported from Affinity Designer).. When I made the files - with the help- style wise - from your earlier PSD I actually only thought of getting the appearance to look okay on my Mac.

Last edited:

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
So, so, so much work... you can see why I escaped and ran off the Mountain Lion. If I downscale those I'll probably end up with the stupid rolling problem :/

I was trying to fix the search bar there earlier today but I think its a lost cause, the old search bar was pill-shaped with really rounded corners, the new one is close to being a complete rectangle and its .cue file doesn't leave much space for any kind of changes to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.