Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
Pretty good summary about the new mbp - to the point:

Touching on the battery as well. Not saying you should not buy but worth to watch.

Reactions: aioriya

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
People, people, people....Stop staring at the gas gauge and enjoy driving your car!

In other words, USE YOUR MacBook Pro! Quit worrying about whether it's getting 7 or 8 or 11 or 9.2 hrs on its battery.

The battery monitors are like the mileage gauge on your car. It measures a snapshot or a trend of consumption.

Oh, and those of us who like checking what's running and a program's impact on battery life by staring at Activity Monitor? Yeah, that hogs a bunch of battery too.

So quit obsessing and enjoy your new tech!

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
People, people, people....Stop staring at the gas gauge and enjoy driving your car!

In other words, USE YOUR MacBook Pro! Quit worrying about whether it's getting 7 or 8 or 11 or 9.2 hrs on its battery.

The battery monitors are like the mileage gauge on your car. It measures a snapshot or a trend of consumption.

Oh, and those of us who like checking what's running and a program's impact on battery life by staring at Activity Monitor? Yeah, that hogs a bunch of battery too.

So basically, no. If I were to buy a car that advertised 50 MPG but instead got 40 MPG (with extremely conservative usage), I would be pissed off. That was a selling point of the car, just like the battery life is a selling point of the MBP.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006

Not a trend my friend... 2 weeks in use and no changes... I am using it in my office, meaning I am running around the whole day from one meeting to another and typically don't carry a power adapter with me. So I do need at least 8 hours and not just 3.5.... also for the amount we all paid we can expect what they promised to us. We all like Apple but that is not ok.

Reactions: fisherman188

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
OK, so to continue my flawed car analogy-you'll see on a car ad highway miles vs. city miles. This of course is because mileage varies based on how you drive.

Apple set out very clear parameters for their battery testing-it's listed on their website and they have been discussed here in depth.

My point is that, battery consumption is not a constant. As such, it's impossible to say that battery use will be X no matter how you use your MBP. When we edit videos, or do a ton of photo editing, or use a memory and power hog like Chrome, obviously these things will effect the rate with which the battery is discharged.

By all means, obsess about your battery use if you like. Some people may truly have issues that need addressing with either software updates or a device exchange. But if I'm getting 7-8 hours of MY normal use out of a battery, I'm not going to let it ruin my day because I'm not getting the 10 hours that Phil Schiller "promised" me on stage.

Reactions: SJTrance

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
OK, so to continue my flawed car analogy-you'll see on a car ad highway miles vs. city miles. This of course is because mileage varies based on how you drive.

Apple set out very clear parameters for their battery testing-it's listed on their website and they have been discussed here in depth.

My point is that, battery consumption is not a constant. As such, it's impossible to say that battery use will be X no matter how you use your MBP. When we edit videos, or do a ton of photo editing, or use a memory and power hog like Chrome, obviously these things will effect the rate with which the battery is discharged.

By all means, obsess about your battery use if you like. Some people may truly have issues that need addressing with either software updates or a device exchange. But if I'm getting 7-8 hours of MY normal use out of a battery, I'm not going to let it ruin my day because I'm not getting the 10 hours that Phil Schiller "promised" me on stage.
That's fine - you seem to be okay with not getting what was advertised. As for the rest of us, again, the battery life was a selling point and something that we expected. And again, this isn't with editing videos or photos etc. Just straight up Web Browsing, as advertised.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
You should really try switching to Safari for a day, just to see. For me, Chrome was a huge suck and my battery performance is 50-60% better without using chrome.
yeah i've tried many times but chrome is just way more friendly. the favicons in tabs alone make all the difference in the world to me.

max99

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2016
Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 15.17.57.png

arggggh .... my first Macbook and the battery life is shocking, over 2 and half grand and I get 4 hours!!! WTF!!!

Oh and trying to book it into an appointment.... all booked up all the bloody time!

I've tried all the fixes people say (pasm, scs resets etc)

So tempted to return it and buy something else!

Anyone offer anything else i can try

Reactions: fisherman188

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
View attachment 676436

arggggh .... my first Macbook and the battery life is shocking, over 2 and half grand and I get 4 hours!!! WTF!!!

Oh and trying to book it into an appointment.... all booked up all the bloody time!

The battery life is definitely not typical of Apple. I think a lot the bugs will be fixed with the next software update. I would try and be patient (during your extended holiday return) and see if Apple issues an update in the next week or so.

Reactions: mahcus36

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
yeah i've tried many times but chrome is just way more friendly. the favicons in tabs alone make all the difference in the world to me.

Agreed... I'm still deciding whether it's worth it for me to stick with safari while I do this battery testing.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Not a trend my friend... 2 weeks in use and no changes... I am using it in my office, meaning I am running around the whole day from one meeting to another and typically don't carry a power adapter with me. So I do need at least 8 hours and not just 3.5.... also for the amount we all paid we can expect what they promised to us. We all like Apple but that is not ok.
Have you reinstalled Sierra yet? Not a fresh setup when you first got it, but a reinstall?
[doublepost=1480986027][/doublepost]
View attachment 676436

Have you reinstalled Sierra? Not a fresh setup when you first got it, but a reinstall?

tc47

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Got 6-7 hours today during the day, spotify and safari mainly. I guess I could live with it, but I really do wonder if the non TB 13 inch is the best buy right now. Just found out today that they're doing the same extended holiday return period here in Norway though, so at least I get some more time to think about it..

malikkamran

Suspended
Oct 6, 2016
Pakistan
Got 6-7 hours today during the day, spotify and safari mainly. I guess I could live with it, but I really do wonder if the non TB 13 inch is the best buy right now. Just found out today that they're doing the same extended holiday return period here in Norway though, so at least I get some more time to think about it..
What charging time you get

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Pretty good summary about the new mbp - to the point:

Touching on the battery as well. Not saying you should not buy but worth to watch.
Yes, not a bad review. I don't share most of his issues, especially battery. He clearly had an out of the box bad software issue. If you don't have those issues he's talking about, you will probably feel like me and love it. If you do have those issues, I can see why it wouldn't work out.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
View attachment 676436

I am sorry you are having this experience. I've bought a lot of Apple gear over the last nine years, and I think this product is the exception that proves the rule: most Apple gear is great, but this MacBook Pro release is a bad product. There is NOT this kind of blow-back on every "new" kind of Apple machine released. That's nonsense. Anyone saying "Y'all are being too critical" is pulling a fast one. There is NO denying the logic of the fact that a news thread started three days ago on a Sat morning is now at over 1000 posts. That is all the proof Apple needs that the batteries are terrible on this machine.

For example, the iPad Pro 12" is a GREAT piece of equipment. For example, the 2015 MacBook Pros, and the 2007 MacBook Pros (particularly the 17"), were GREAT machines. It is just plain sad that this bad product has come out, there is ample evidence from thousands of purchasers that they are getting terrible battery life, and Apple has yet to step up to the plate on this one.

Reactions: aioriya

creamz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
I am sorry you are having this experience. I've bought a lot of Apple gear over the last nine years, and I think this product is the exception that proves the rule: most Apple gear is great, but this MacBook Pro release is a bad product. There is NOT this kind of blow-back on every "new" kind of Apple machine released. That's nonsense. Anyone saying "Y'all are being too critical" is pulling a fast one. There is NO denying the logic of the fact that a news thread started three days ago on a Sat morning is now at over 1000 posts. That is all the proof Apple needs that the batteries are terrible on this machine.

For example, the iPad Pro 12" is a GREAT piece of equipment. For example, the 2015 MacBook Pros, and the 2007 MacBook Pros (particularly the 17"), were GREAT machines. It is just plain sad that this bad product has come out, there is ample evidence from thousands of purchasers that they are getting terrible battery life, and Apple has yet to step up to the plate on this one.

Yup, I'll say your concern is fine and you have every right to voice it out. Especially when it drops so much from the previous models that you own. It is supposed to be an upgrade and new batteries so longer life. Considering the sliming race is all the rage now, if we don't voice when there is a problem Apple might just give us even lower battery ratings in the future.

Last edited:

max99

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2016
Have you reinstalled Sierra yet? Not a fresh setup when you first got it, but a reinstall?
[doublepost=1480986027][/doublepost]
Have you reinstalled Sierra? Not a fresh setup when you first got it, but a reinstall?

This is one thing I haven't done.... does this mean I'll lose all my settings/work that's currently saved? and how do I go about doing this?

Reactions: mahcus36
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.